Thread: Why hasn’t Mr. Burns retired?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Wants to be a sweetie pie Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Why hasn’t Mr. Burns retired?

This thought popped into my head yesterday. Whether he’s 81 or 104, he’s an old billionaire and could easily retire. Why does he still run the plant? It seems he doesn’t do much, but I’d think he’d like to relax in his manor all day. What keeps him going?
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Life on the Fast Lane Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, (Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane 30. Daddicus Finch I Want You (She’s So Heavy) 31. Thanksgiving of Horror Warrin’ Priests (Part Two)

I think one obvious reason is because he's an control freak and wants to keep his workers in check himself & be in control of them (with some assistance from Smithers) and therefore very likely doesn't want (or trust for that matter) anyone else to take over the reins. As he's pretty much a megalomaniacal supervillain (to varying degrees) it does make sense to me.

That and the Simpsons crew likely wishing to keep the status quo intact when it comes to that (though it would be interesting with a plot where he is forced to retire and hand everything over to a successor; maybe something for the last season?).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 05-25-2019 at 08:26 AM.

I do wonder if they will do an episode where he retires and he picks someone from his family or Smithers to run the plant. I think it'd be an interesting concept, although knowing the show they'd probably revert back to the status quo by the end of the episode.

Blog Entries

Burns basically tried to retire in Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk, but after selling the plant his former employees were free to make fun of him so he ended up buying back the power plant.
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Halloween of Horror/Every Man's Dream 28: There Will Be Buds/Moho House 29: Gone Boy/Throw Grampa from the Dane

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

Some reasons come to my mind. A couple of episodes showed the workers going out of control without Burns' supervision and I'm pretty sure he knows that. Also, his megalomaniacal side probably has a part of why he hasn't retired yet, he obviously likes being the most powerful man in Springfield and carrying on his probably complete control of the town from his power plant.

I think he has become a parody of "Vince McMahon"

As other user above said this is actually adressed in the episode Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk.
    At the end Burns buys the nuclear plant again because "what good is money if it can't inspire terror on your fellow man"
    Burns feels powerful running the nuclear plant, people fear him.
    Without it he's just a weak old man.

8. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Road Rage

No to cooties and sisters. Shoskin's Avatar

How dare you ask that. I say bolshevism, sheer bolshevism.

Blog Entries

Well, it is most likely than not that he just loves his job so much, because of he can make fun of his employees, he can control them. I do recall that Homer and the rest of the workers at the Nuclear Power Plant were out of control in every single episode were Burns unexpectedly leaves or retires, which further proves his controlling-freak personality.

There is also the factor of the profits he makes as the boss of the Power Plant. We all know that Burns is a billionaire and stingy, so naturally he loves his money. I do not think will retire so "soon", because the money he makes is the most important thing for him.

Finally, we have the status quo, a rule that The Simpsons never break, so obviously Burns will never retire as long as the family and everything in town remains the same. I would like to believe that if they ever age, Burns might retire from business.

apparently he doesn't get along with retirement even when he's forced retired like in C.E.Do'h.

you know something occurred to me, in the Old man and Lisa, Smithers actually worked for Lenny......I knew where I was going with this but it's going the wrong way for some reason, I mean obviously Homer didn't want to keep Smithers on (even though Smithers was HIS lackey in one of the Comics, besides let's face it they don't get along, hell he threw a fit in Simpsons comics 99 when Burns rehired Homer after saving his life)
    Simpsons Comics 1993-2018

He tried before and failed miserably. Poor guy couldn't even buy the right ketchup at the supermarket. Also, he becomes weaker and confused and loses all his power and control. He's no longer an evil businessman but a confused old man.
    Favorite by season
    1.Krusty Gets Busted 2. Bart Gets An F 3. Lisa's Pony 4. Duffless/Last Exit to Springfiled 5. Homer's Barbershop Quartet 6. And Maggie Makes Three 7. The Curse Of The Flying Hellfish 8.Hurricane Neddy 9 Das Bus 10. Wild Barts Can't Be Broken 11. Saddlesore Galactica 12. HOMR 13. Weekend at Burnsie's. 14. How I Spent My Strummer Vacation. 15. The President Wore Pearls.

Professional Teleporter Mícheál's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The simplest and most likely explanation is that Burns is an incredibly greedy control freak who wants or needs to be in control of people's lives. After all, when Burns tried to retire, and its outlined well enough in this thread that he had to return to his position.

Mr. Burns is not just evil, he's evil to a comical level. There's no reason why a 104-year-old man should be still needing to run a hazardous, tax-free, mildly illegal nuclear power station... but this is Mr. Burns, and so that's just the way it is.

I suppose another, possible, explanation for why Mr. Burns has not retired from running the plant... is that running the plant is his retirement.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but if Burns opened up the plant in the seventies, for a 104-year-old, he must have been getting on a bit at that stage.

Judging by Burns' wealth, collection, and pieces of his history that we know, it's possible that Burns could have been doing far shadier stuff in the 40s, 50s and 60s. It would be a fun idea to think of Burns' current position as that of a retired supervillain.
    "I may or may not die young. I haven't decided yet."

@Mícheál well it was probably late 60s early 70s when the plant was built since Homer was about 12-13. Don't forget Homer has been 39 for 30+ years now. So I guess Burns was in his 60s.

Also, don't forget he was brought up by a heartless uncle who either ignored child labor laws or they didn't exist.

He probably hasn't retired for the simple fact that he has nothing else. I don't know if he considers Smithers a friend. He sees people as commodity and feels he can do whatever he wants which amazes us because there are laws. How he isn't in prison for life I will never know, but Sideshow Bob keeps getting out.

Also, like many with money, see it as a dick measuring contest and Burns seems to want to be always ve on top and will try to cheat anyone he can from anelementary school to Cletus.

Has anyone ever wondered how the hell Mr. Burns owns a private city power plant in the first place?
    Last edited by Shoskin; 05-13-2020 at 03:45 PM.

Thread Information