Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 22232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: Season 31 Information Thread

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    We? Wasn't it just a relatively vocal minority who trashed that episode here? Seems to me it was favorably viewed by most of us with a lot of 4/5s and 5/5s in its R&R thread.

But yeah, that list is a downer. I'm surprised that so many ended up below average (also that 'Livin La Vida Pura' beat 'Thanksgiving').
    It's a consensus score. If 6 people trash an episode it reflects on us as a community. We have to own it even if it happens to be a rather boisterous minority. That was still enough of an impact to knock it out of contention for my math-driven best post-Classic era consensus episode list. Typically, it's the IMDB crowd that winds up sabotaging otherwise solid episodes (like King Leer). But occasionally, like here, it's on us.
    SEASON 31 RANKINGS
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 1.5/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2.5/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3.5/5
    THOH XXX = Danger Things - 2.5/5 / Heaven Swipes Right - 1.5/5 / When Hairy Met Slimy - 2/5
    Gorillas on the Mast - 3.5/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5 / Livin' la Pura Vida - 5/5
    THANKSGIVING OF HORROR = A-Gobble-ypto - 3/5 / The Fourth Thursday After Tomorrow - 5/5 / The Last Thanksgiving - 3.5/5
    Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? - 3.5/5 / Bobby, It's Cold Outside - 2.5/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 1.5/5
    The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 2/5 / Frinkcoin - 3/5 / Maggie Simpson In "Playdate with Destiny" - 4/5
    Bart the Bad Guy - 5/5 / Screenless - 2/5 / Better Off Ned - 2.5/5 / Highway to Well - 4/5

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The B View Post
    I've said here, that think it's may Jean's mistake in reply. It's hard to believe, that director (without so much experience) directed two episofes only after two-episode defense in prod. order (Z08 and Z10).

And, Justin (@TeletubbyMan1998) for the future please don't waste the thread with "I am gonna to...". Better write here Jean's replies for your questions yet.
    Oh well, maybe Chris Clements might be the real director for Highway to Well, huh?

Blog Entries

It's been a pretty crap season thus far, for sure. Only ones that were much good have mostly just been for small things like the style of jokes in Gorillas on the Mast... Well, I liked the Todd one but still.
    Season 31 thus far

The Winter of Our Monetized Content 3/5 / The Fat Blue Line4/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXX 2/5 / Gorillas on the Mast 4/5 / Marge the Lumberjill 3.5/5 / Livin' La Vida Pura 2/5 /
    Thanksgiving of Horror 0/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? 4.5/5 / Bobby, It's Cold Outside 3/5 / Hail to the Teeth 2/5 / The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson 3/5 / Frinkcoin 4/5 / Bart the Bad Guy 1/5 / Screenless 4.5/5 / Better Off Ned 4/5 / Highway to Well (not sure yet, pending rewatch)

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    Finally got caught up refreshing the first half of this season's episode R&R threads... and for those of you who were under the impression that this season has been well-received or seen an uptick in quality, I can pass along that sentiment has not manifested itself in either the average favourability scores here or over at IMDB.

In fact, this is on track to be the 2nd consecutive season which sees no additions to my all-time Top 50 post-Classic era episode list...

- Livin' la Pura Vida 3.79 / 6.2
    - Thanksgiving of Horror 3.67 / 7.2
    - Gorillas on the Mast 3.44 / 6.2
    - The Fat Blue Line 3.22 / 6.5
    - Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? 2.89 / 6.4
    - The Winter of our Monetized Content 2.86 / 5.7
    - Bobby, It's Cold Outside 2.82 / 6.9
    - Marge the Lumberjill 2.56 / 5.3
    - Treehouse of Horror XXX 2.52 / 6.9
    - Hail to the Teeth 2.00 / 6.1
    - Go Big or Go Homer 1.81 / 5.8

Thanksgiving of Horror had the best shot of making the cut had we not trashed it here for being exactly what it was advertised to be.

This comes as somewhat of a surprise, too seeing how we're looking at a much higher ratio of Selman to Jean this season than we've grown accustomed to. Doesn't appear to have made a difference, though. Shame...
    Luckily or sadly, this season won't air in Ukraine only until summer, but all I can say it's my the most anticipated episodes so far completely same with top of this list (TgOH, GoTM, LlPV, TFBL etc).

Quote Originally Posted by TeletubbyMan1998 View Post
    Oh well, maybe Chris Clements might be the real director for Highway to Well, huh?
    Yes, I'd thought about Clements or Tim Bailey's turn.
    IMHO the best and the worst episodes of each season (in bold — the best and worst of overall series, upd. 10/01/20 with trilogy episodes):
    1. There’s No Disgrace Like Home/Homer’s Night Out 2. Old Money/Simpson and Delilah 3. Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington/Homer Alone 4. Homer’s Triple Bypass/Marge in Chains 5. Secrets of a Successful Marriage/Homer and Apu 6. Two Dozen and One Greyhounds/A Star Is Burns 7. Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily/Treehouse of Horror VI 8. My Sister, My Sitter/The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Miracle on Evergreen Terrace/The Principal and the Pauper 10. Wild Barts Can’t Be Broken/Simpsons Bible Stories 11. Days of Wine and D’oh’ses/Bart to the Future 12. Homer vs. Dignity/New Kids on the Blecch 13. Poppa’s Got a Brand New Badge/Weekend at Burnsie’s 14. Moe Baby Blues/Brake My Wife, Please 15. Fraudcast News/Co-Dependent’s Day 16. Sleeping with the Enemy/Future-Drama 17. Bonfire of the Manatees/Kiss Kiss, Bang Bangalore 18. The Wife Aquatic/Revenge Is a Dish Best Served Three Times 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Smoke on the Daughter 20. Coming to Homerica/Four Great Women and a Manicure 21. Chief of Hearts/Treehouse of Horror XX 22. The Ned-Liest Catch/Elementary School Musical 23. A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again/Moe Goes from Rags to Riches 24. Hardly Kirk-ing/Love is a Many-Splintered Thing 25. Brick Like Me/What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police/Treehouse of Horror XXV 27. Halloween of Horror/Treehouse of Horror XXVI 28. 22 for 30/Havana Wild Weekend 29. Flanders’ Ladder/Springfield Splendor 30. Baby You Can’t Drive My Car/The Clown Stays in the Picture
    The Simpsons season ratings:
    2 > 3 > 7 > 6 > 1 > 4 > 5 > 8 > 9 > 21 > 27 > 12 > 15 > 20 > 10 > 14 > 19 > 25 > 17 > 29 > 26 > 24 > 13 > 18 > 16 > 28 > 30 > 11 > 23 > 22

I think that thoughts may differ, because so many people, so many opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    It's a consensus score. If 6 people trash an episode it reflects on us as a community. We have to own it even if it happens to be a rather boisterous minority. That was still enough of an impact to knock it out of contention for my math-driven best post-Classic era consensus episode list. Typically, it's the IMDB crowd that winds up sabotaging otherwise solid episodes (like King Leer). But occasionally, like here, it's on us.
    Oh, yeah, that makes good sense. As for IMDB, I still think that the ratings for most of the episodes doesn't seem that indicative of the episode's quality, especially the modern ones of the HD era (even if it's not sabotage; often it seems that not a lot of people bother to rate the episodes).

Yes, I'd thought about Clements or Tim Bailey's turn.
    Bailey tends to only direct two episodes per production cycle... one at the beginning (Livin' la Pura Vida in the case of ZABF) and one towards the end.
    I presently have Clements directing ZABF08 and trusting that Jean didn't credit Moeller incorrectly via Twitter relating to ZABF10 & ZABF14.
    The released promo shots for Bart the Bad Guy look similar to Clements' past work as well.

Now Museum, Now You Don’t (ZABF21) is directed by Timothey Bailey.
    Source.

8. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Dark Homer

Banned
    Blog Entries

Breaking news!
    ¡Ay, Carambus! is directed by Rob Oliver
    Source.

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: The B

Promotional images from Screenless. It seems like Maggie will get screentime and it looks like a really family episode.

SEASON 31 - RATINGS
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 3/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 4/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXX - 3/5 / Gorillas on the Mast - 4/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5
    Livin' La Pura Vida - 5/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror - 5/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me - 3/5
    Bobby, It's Cold Outside - 3/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 2/5 / The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 4/5 / Frinkcoin - 2/5 / Bart the Bad Guy - 5/5 / Screenless - 4/5
    Better Off Ned - 1/5 / Highway to Well - 4/5 / The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby - TBA
    Warrin' Priest TBA / The Hateful Eight-Years-Old - TBA / The Way of the Dog - TBA

Banned
    Blog Entries

It's kinda similar to The Berenstain Bears (2003 TV series) episode that's called 'Too Much TV', remember that?

Synopsis from Futoncritic for Better off Ned:

A JEALOUS HOMER MENTORS NELSON MUNTZ ON AN ALL-NEW "THE SIMPSONS" SUNDAY, MARCH 15, ON FOX

Bart bonds with Ned Flanders, which leaves Homer jealous, so he retaliates by mentoring Nelson Muntz. Then, a heroic act by Homer makes Bart look up to him again in the all-new "Better Off Ned" episode of THE SIMPSONS airing Sunday, March 15 (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (SI-3111) (TV-PG D, L, V)

Voice Cast: Voice Cast: Dan Castellaneta as Homer Simpson; Julie Kavner as Marge Simpson; Nancy Cartwright as Bart Simpson and Nelson; Yeardley Smith as Lisa Simpson; Hank Azaria as Moe; Harry Shearer as Skinner; Tress MacNeille as Dolph; Pamela Hayden as Milhouse; Harry Shearer as Flanders
    SEASON 31 GRADES

The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 3/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2.5/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXX - 2/5 / Gorillas on the Mast - 2.5/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5
    Livin' La Pura Vida - 4.5/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror - 5/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? - 3.5/5
    Bobby, It's Cold Outside - 2.5/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 2/5 / The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 3.5/5
    Frinkcoin - 3.5/5 / Bart the Bad Guy - 4.5/5 / Screenless - ?/5 / Better off Ned - ?/5
    Highway to Well - ?/5 / The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby - ?/5 / Warrin' Priests (Part 1) - ?/5
    Warrin' Priests (Part 2) - ?/5 / The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds - ?/5 / Way of the Dog - ?/5

Blog Entries

Well that doesn’t remind me one bit of Brother From the Same Planet.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: bboynexus

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by bboynexus View Post
    But...but...it says here that "Highway to Well" is supposed to air on 3/15! Al Jean even said so!

Quote Originally Posted by bboynexus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    Well that doesn’t remind me one bit of Brother From the Same Planet.
    For me it's someway rehash of last season's Daddicus Finch. Ironically Jean wrote both of them (in BoN he wrote story). But, IMHO, even if some episode is a rehash of another, it isn't necessary it will be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    But...but...it says here that "Highway to Well" is supposed to air on 3/15! Al Jean even said so!
    C'mon, they every season run episodes not according prod. order (for example, last season they've pulled YABF13 off) + it's a bit weird "one Jean-runned episode, one Seman-runned, one Jean-runned, one Selman-runned...

Quote Originally Posted by Szyslak100 View Post
    Promotional images from Screenless. It seems like Maggie will get screentime and it looks like a really family episode.
    Maybe, in synopsis mistake and actually Maggie is addictable to screens. It makes more sense and, if so, it makes episode very cute)

P.S. Is it just me, or nowadays we're getting official synopsis earlier and earlier (usually it's revealed on Thursday-Friday, now -- Tuesday-Wednessday)?
    Last edited by The B; 02-19-2020 at 01:18 AM.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

C'mon, they every season run episodes not according prod. order (for example, last season they've pulled YABF13 off) + it's a bit weird "one Jean-runned episode, one Seman-runned, one Jean-runned, one Selman-runned...
    Gee, you don't think that's the reason I want until Fox "officially" posts airdates before WARNING: SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT listing them on the Upcoming Episodes page at the Simpsons Archive site, do you?

P.S. Is it just me, or nowadays we're getting official synopsis earlier and earlier (usually it's revealed on Thursday-Friday, now -- Tuesday-Wednessday)?
    Wednesday isn't that uncommon, especially if it's late in the afternoon, but you're right about this one being really early.

19. Thumbs Up To This Post by: The B

Preview for FOX Animation Domination with some scenes from Frinkcoin

Banned
    Blog Entries

Also, Kang and Kodos are apparently yet to return again in Treehouse of Horror XXXI according to Al Jean on Twitter

Short clip for upcoming Frinkcoin with Jim Parsons' character from The Simpsons Twitter
    twitter.com/TheSimpsons/status/1230560246944452608

I agree that 'Better of Ned' sounds very much like 'Brother From The Same Planet' which is disappointing as I had been hoping for an much more original plot, not more or less a rehash but it could still be okay. And regarding 'Screenless', with the promo images in hand it does still seem to me like it could be a good one, more so if it's indeed a family-themed episode.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

Better Off Ned looks like a blend between the movie and Brother from the Same Planet (and Sleeping with the Enemy sprinkled in). At this point I'm not always against rehashed plots to a lesser extent, so if it allows us to have a simple, down-to-earth yet nice episode about Homer and Bart's bonding, which is always something I look forward to (and why not a better version of Brother from the Same Planet... yeah, I didn't like this one), so be it.

Screenless definitely looks like a simple yet nice family-centered episode too and I hope it will be. I'm a sucker for this kind of episode.
    It ate EVERYBODY, stupid !

The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 2/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3.5/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXX - 2.5/5 / Gorillas on the Mast - 3.5/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5 / Livin' la Pura Vida - 4/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror - 4/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me - 2.5/5 / Bobby, it's Cold Outside - 2.5/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 1.5/5 / The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 3.5/5 / Frinkcoin - 2/5 / Bart the Bad Guy - 4/5 / Screenless - 3.5/5 / Better Off Ned - 1.5/5 / Highway to Well - TBA / The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby - TBA

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E. the Brain View Post
    At this point I'm not always against rehashed plots to a lesser extent, so if it allows us to have a simple, down-to-earth yet nice episode about Homer and Bart's bonding, which is always something I look forward to (and why not a better version of Brother from the Same Planet... yeah, I didn't like this one), so be it.
    I'm not big on 'Brother From The Same Planet' either (Why didn't you like it, by the way? The story just didn't completely click to me) and while I doubt that 'Better Of Ned' will be as good with the humor as that one, the plot could end up being done better this time.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    (Why didn't you like it, by the way? The story just didn't completely click to me)
    I like the idea but not the execution. I felt like this experience didn't add something new to the Homer/Bart chemistry. It's a lot boring (with some highlights though, like the "revenge" joke which is hilarious) and dragged out to me, the first act especially is very lame in my opinion. And there could've been a better way to resolve the conflict. Also, I think the subplot is one of the most dull subplots of the show. While I guess it can be relatable for some, it's padded to me and didn't interest me in the slightest.

This is just my opinion, of course. But I do believe that this one can be a better version, I mean, I don't reject the possibility.

27. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Banned
    Blog Entries

After Frinkcoin airs, there's 10 ZABF production episodes left until Treehouse of Horror XXXI comes in October. I kinda hope that Treehouse of Horror XXXI airs on October 25th later this year which means it will be the 30th anniversary of the first Treehouse of Horror

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E. the Brain View Post
    Better Off Ned looks like a blend between the movie and Brother from the Same Planet (and Sleeping with the Enemy sprinkled in). At this point I'm not always against rehashed plots to a lesser extent, so if it allows us to have a simple, down-to-earth yet nice episode about Homer and Bart's bonding, which is always something I look forward to (and why not a better version of Brother from the Same Planet... yeah, I didn't like this one), so be it.
    I've just come to thing about another "conflict by jealous" episode (though, there much more same-typed) Dad Behaviour from season 28.

While I can see some similarities, surely 'Better Of Ned' must turn out much better than 'Dad Behavior' (which was pretty bad). I can at least see it be an clear improvement over that one even if it does borrow elements from earlier episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by TeletubbyMan1998 View Post
    After Frinkcoin airs, there's 10 ZABF production episodes left until Treehouse of Horror XXXI comes in October. I kinda hope that Treehouse of Horror XXXI airs on October 25th later this year which means it will be the 30th anniversary of the first Treehouse of Horror
    That won't happen because FOX will be airing game five of the World Series or if one of the team manages to win the first four games, a bunch of animated reruns.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Hopefully the Season 32 table read might start in early March this year. This time, I'm kinda hoping that 'Treehouse of Horror XXXII' would be the 19th production episode of the Season 32 production season, in which I mean: ABBF19

34. Thumbs Up To This Post by: The B

The first clip was pointless, but, IMHO, not bad (depending on context).
    The second one was so-so, but funny in the end.

Oh, I've just found something in Michael Price's Twitter
    They "about to start table reads" (as awaited - late February\early March)
    Last edited by The B; 02-22-2020 at 07:50 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I did hear from Al Jean on Twitter that the Season 32 table read will start in early March, 'cause that's what I heard. Plus, I'm already hoping that Cesar Mazariegos will be the Executive Story Editor during the Season 32 production cycle of The Simpsons, despite he is still currently a story editor during the ZABF production cycle

Thread Information