Thread: Season 31 Information Thread

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Post Season 31 Information Thread

Season 31 Information Thread

Ahoy-hoy and welcome to the Season 31 Information Thread, where we keep track of news and information about the 2019-2020 season of The Simpsons. Please keep in mind this information can change at any time.

• 6/14: Writer for "Bart the Bad Guy," new title "Screenless" written by J. Stewart Burns and guest-starring Werner Herzog
    • 6/2: New title, "Bart the Bad Guy"
    • 5/23: New title, "Frinkcoin"

To discuss episodes that have already aired, please check out our Rate & Review archive.

YABF13 - The Incredible Lightness of Being A Baby
    • Writers: Tom Gammill & Max Pross (Al Jean/Twitter)
    • Synopsis: Marge won't let Maggie play with her new baby crush because of his annoying mother, leading Maggie into a depressive spiral. Meanwhile, Mr. Burns tasks Homer with swindling Cletus out of his helium fortune. (The Futon Critic)

YABF18 - Treehouse of Horror XXX - October 20, 2019 (Al Jean/Twitter)

YABF17 - Thanksgiving of Horror

YABF19 - The Winter of Our Monetized Content

YABF20 - Gorillas on the Mast

YABF21 - Go Big or Go Homer

YABF22 - The Fat Blue Line

ZABF01 - Bobby, It's Cold Outside (Al Jean/Twitter)

ZABF02 - Marge the Lumberjill (Al Jean/Twitter)

ZABF03 - Livin' la Pura Vida

ZABF04 - Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me

ZABF05 - Hail to the Teeth

ZABF06 - The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson

ZABF07 - Frinkcoin

ZABF08 - Bart the Bad Guy

ZABF09 - Screenless

Blog Entries

Many people who work on the show can be found on Twitter:

Please be courteous when contacting them!

Thanks to Simpsons Forever! for creating the template for this thread way back in 2006, and thanks to the following members for helping keep the previous threads updated with the latest information: 20thCenturyBox, 6F01, biffwestwood, Brad Lascelle, Blobulle, ComicBookGal, Gran2, jbauer, LetsPlayNintendoITA, lionelhutz123, Matty, McClure, MDB, Nameless, OttoMann14, qwerasdf, SimpsonArgentina, simpsonsbart, Szyslak100, That Don Guy, WeaselStomper, Matty, that guy who pesters Al Jean on Twitter, and everyone else who contributes over the next year!

3. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Actually an Esquilax Venomrabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A THOH not written by Joel H Cohen? How long has it been since that happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Venomrabbit View Post
    A THOH not written by Joel H Cohen? How long has it been since that happened?
    Last season? Season 26, 25, 24, 23?

Joel has written just four Halloween specials in the last nine years and only one segment in another since season 13.

His reputation for writing Treehouse of Horror episodes has been grossly exaggerated.

I'm proud to be the first to share a new in this thread. The title of ZABF07 is Frinkcoin, wrtiten by Rob LaZebnik. Probably just another Frink-centric episode, probably the title is misleading. The truth is that Rob made a great performance in season 29 so, we'll see.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Here are the Season 31 episode dates that will have nationwide (well, in the Eastern and Central time zones, anyway, and even then, it doesn't include NFL cities whose teams have 4:05 home games being aired on CBS that day) NFL lead-ins:
    October 6
    October 20
    November 10
    November 24
    December 15
    (also 12/22 and 12/29, but I am assuming there will be repeats or pre-emptions on those days)

Besides 12/22 and 12/29, the repeat/pre-emption dates I am aware of, or at least assuming, are:
    October 27 (World Series Game 5)
    January 19 (NFC championship game)
    February 2 (Super Bowl on Fox, followed by an episode of The Masked Singer)
    February 9 (ABC is airing the Oscars - not entirely sure why it's this early; I am guessing it has something to do with the 2020 Presidential primaries)
    April 5 (Palm Sunday)
    April 12 (Easter)
    Note that this leaves 26 "open" Sundays - this allows 13 episodes of Bless the Harts to air between 9/29 and 1/12, and 13 episodes of Duncanville to air between 1/26 and 5/24 - so, presumably, there will be four more Simpsons repeats inserted.

Reminder: Fox has shuffled its Sunday schedule - Bob's Burgers is moving to 9, and Family Guy to 9:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Szyslak100 View Post
    I'm proud to be the first to share a new in this thread. The title of ZABF07 is Frinkcoin, wrtiten by Rob LaZebnik. Probably just another Frink-centric episode, probably the title is misleading. The truth is that Rob made a great performance in season 29 so, we'll see.

I'm guessing it's a cryptocurrency episode.

Blog Entries

Can't wait for another quality 'n memorable season from everyone's favorite tv family

Blog Entries

post in pisscord bitch

It astonishes me how the pun titles continue to get worse with each passing season. “Woo-Hoo Dunnit?” was an absolute groaner, but compared to “Hail to the Teeth” or “Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me?”, it almost seems like a stroke of comic genius. Almost.

Wasn’t that meant to be ‘Paths (as in ‘sociopaths’) of Glory, which would technically qualify it as a (weak) pun?

...which would unfortunately confirm the placement of over 95% of episode titles in the last ten seasons or so into pun territory, but I guess it is what it is.

“Pretension” by Calvin Klein ataeaf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Luan from the Loud House would scoff at these puns.
    ah (as in apple)-tuh-eef

ZABF08 is called "Bart the Bad Guy".

#F4F4F4 border-radius: 50%; flex-grow: 0; height: 40px; margin-right: 14px; width: 40px;">
    #F4F4F4 border-radius: 4px; flex-grow: 0; height: 14px; margin-bottom: 6px; width: 100px;">
    #F4F4F4 border-radius: 4px; flex-grow: 0; height: 14px; width: 60px;">
    View this post on Instagram
    #F4F4F4 border-radius: 50%; height: 12.5px; width: 12.5px; transform: translateX(0px) translateY(7px);">
    #F4F4F4 height: 12.5px; transform: rotate(-45deg) translateX(3px) translateY(1px); width: 12.5px; flex-grow: 0; margin-right: 14px; margin-left: 2px;">
    #F4F4F4 border-radius: 50%; height: 12.5px; width: 12.5px; transform: translateX(9px) translateY(-18px);">
    #F4F4F4 border-radius: 50%; flex-grow: 0; height: 20px; width: 20px;">
    #F4F4F4 border-bottom: 2px solid transparent; transform: translateX(16px) translateY(-4px) rotate(30deg)">
    #F4F4F4 border-right: 8px solid transparent; transform: translateY(16px);">
    #F4F4F4 flex-grow: 0; height: 12px; width: 16px; transform: translateY(-4px);">
    #F4F4F4 border-left: 8px solid transparent; transform: translateY(-4px) translateX(8px);">

Today a dream came true, as a kid I was told I couldn’t watch The Simpsons but I had my own tv �� so who could stop me. This show was such a major part of my life I almost cried being there today. I got to meet the voice of Bart Simpson, I was a rebellious left hand kid just like him. @nancy_cartwright made me so happy by listening to me ramble on and signing my script. Today was tough but this moment in time with always be remembered as amazing. Thank you #Simpsonscast you’re amazing

A post shared by Jenene (@naynay_901) on

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Seems odd that we didn't get a Selman episode until the 8th episode in the production cycle.
    SEASON 30 RANKINGS
    Bart's Not Dead - 2.5/5 / Heartbreak Hotel - 1.5/5 / My Way or the Highway to Heaven - 3/5
    THOH XXIX = Intrusion of the Pod-Y Switchers - 1.5/5 / Multiplisaty - 2.5/5 / Geriatric Park - 2/5
    Baby You Can't Drive My Car - 2/5 / From Russia Without Love - 3.5/5 / Werking Mom - 3/5
    Krusty the Clown - 4/5 / Daddicus Finch - 5/5 / 'Tis the 30th Season - 2/5 / Mad About the Toy - 1.5/5
    The Girl on the Bus - 2/5 / I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can - 4.5/5 / The Clown Stays in the Picture - 1.5/5
    101 Mitigations - 3/5 / I Want You (She's So Heavy) - 1/5 / E My Sports - 3.5/5
    Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy - 4.5/5 / Girl's in the Band - 4/5 / I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh - 1/5
    D'oh Canada - 2.5/5 / Woo-hoo Dunnit? - 3.5/5 / Crystal Blue-Haired Persuasion - 1.5/5

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    Seems odd that we didn't get a Selman episode until the 8th episode in the production cycle.
    What about the Miseducation of Lisa Simpson?

Yeah, I'd forgotten about that one being a Selman joint too. The opening thread archive post threw me 'cause it cited Jean tweets as a source for all of the previous episodes but the tweet for ZABF06 just refers to Al's confirmation of the writer credit and not a direct link to the cover page which emanated elsewhere as per this late post in the Season 30 OT.

Our upcoming Selman episodes for next season are...
    • YABF17 - Thanksgiving of Horror {Dan Vebber}
    • YABF21 - Go Big or Go Homer {John Frink}
    • ZABF06 - The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson {J. Stewart Burns}
    • ZABF08 - Bart the Bad Guy

That's assuming Jean didn't skip a table read for one of his episodes for some reason.
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 06-08-2019 at 05:05 AM.

19. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    Our upcoming Selman episodes for next season are...
    • YABF17 - Thanksgiving of Horror {Dan Vebber}
    • YABF21 - Go Big or Go Homer {John Frink}
    • ZABF06 - The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson {J. Stewart Burns}
    • ZABF08 - Bart the Bad Guy
    It would be really interesting to see how Selman and Frink complement each other, especially when John had a great performance the last time he wrote without Cohen. However, it should not be ruled out that Matt's last effort under the YABF code is The Fat Blue Line, since the twenty-second episode of each season in the last five years has been his work.

Historically that's been the case with the ABF22s. I'm simply going by the fact that Al tweeted out the cover for The Fat Blue Line and we had to stumble across Go Big or Go Homer off an Instagram leak. That doesn't exactly portend to the ABF22 streak for Selman continuing.

https://twitter.com/AlJean/status/1139253431628025856

I imagine that wifi id won all around springfield and it sends them into a panic
    Last edited by ComicBookGal; 06-13-2019 at 11:42 AM.
    Simpsons Comics 1993-2018

Quote Originally Posted by ComicBookGal View Post
    https://twitter.com/AlJean/status/1139253431628025856

I imagine that wifi id won all around springfield and it sends them into a panic
    Burns' third episode this season. Everything looks very good to me. The biggest guarantee of having a season composed of 22 great episodes is giving this man the ability to write them all (?)

He sure does have a good track record. Not perfect, but damn good compared to others.

Dan Vebber is the writer of Bart the Bad Guy.

26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Dark Homer

Blog Entries

Werner Herzog making a third appearance

28. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Quote Originally Posted by Szyslak100 View Post
    Burns' third episode this season. Everything looks very good to me. The biggest guarantee of having a season composed of 22 great episodes is giving this man the ability to write them all (?)
    Just depends on whether he's motivated or not. I actually find that the fewer lead scripts, the better tends to be the recipe for success with Burns... otherwise you wind up with epic misfires like The D'oh-cial Network, Days of Future Future, or Every Man's Dream.

He has the capability of being the best writer on staff when he's focused (Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind, Holidays of Future Passed, Steal This Episode). He can also be one of the worst in memorably awful fashion when he's not.

There is no writer on staff that has as much variability in terms of script quality than J. Stewart Burns.

FYI, with two Selman scripts coming from Vebber, one from Frink and one from Burns, I have every reason to believe this output has the potential to top his consistent level of quality from Seasons 23 & 25.
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 06-16-2019 at 09:19 AM.

If they're making another flash forward episode is it going to still be in the same future timeline as Future-drama, Holidays of Future Passed and days of future future? or are they going to make up something new

Hercules Rockefeller

Does anyone notice how every 2 seasons, a future episode airs? Holidays of Future Passed in Season 23, Days of Future Future in Season 25, Barthood in Season 27, Mr. Lisa's Opus in Season 29, and the upcoming future episode this season?

I bet you The Fat Blue Line is obviously going to be a Wiggum episode, and Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? seems like it is going to be a copy of Bart Has Two Mommies. Bart the Bad Guy might be the worst title ever, it sounds like the title a 9 year old would give to his own made up episode. Bobby, Its Cold Outside sounds like some weird Sideshow Bob episode. Let's hope it is good because Gone Boy was great, while The Man Who Grew Too Much sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Samson View Post
    Does anyone notice how every 2 seasons, a future episode airs? Holidays of Future Passed in Season 23, Days of Future Future in Season 25, Barthood in Season 27, Mr. Lisa's Opus in Season 29, and the upcoming future episode this season?

I bet you The Fat Blue Line is obviously going to be a Wiggum episode, and Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? seems like it is going to be a copy of Bart Has Two Mommies. Bart the Bad Guy might be the worst title ever, it sounds like the title a 9 year old would give to his own made up episode. Bobby, Its Cold Outside sounds like some weird Sideshow Bob episode. Let's hope it is good because Gone Boy was great, while The Man Who Grew Too Much sucked.
    Logically, I am expecting the next future episode to be a Maggie focused episode but then again it might focus directly on Bart and Lisa's relationships as adults.

Thread Information