Thread: My dad has colon cancer

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Executive Vice President Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My dad has colon cancer

I called my dad to tell him something, and he dropped this bombshell on me. Iím in shock right now and donít really know what to do. He didnít say how severe it is, but from how he was talking, it didnít seem too bad. He said heíll probably have chemotherapy eventually. He could be fine from this, but Iíve never dealt with a death in my immediate family (all my grandparents are still alive), and now Iím really worried. What do I do now?
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted Thereís No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvierís Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homerís Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: ďKidney TroubleĒ 11. Guess Whoís Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Canít See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the Díohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bartís Expecting 26. Sky Police Letís Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ĎSí 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

Blog Entries

there's not really a whole lot you can do other than be there for him. hope he kicks it though.

next time you see him give him a great big hug
    Fuck Donald Trump. #NotMyPresident

There is really nothing you can do except be there to support your father during this time and give him to will to overcome.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Blog Entries

as someone who has endured such extensive health ocd that he got a colonoscopy at the age of 22 to assure he was free of any potential colon disease ive done alot of reading on colon cancer. if he caught it early that's a very good sign, of coudse theres tons of variables and im no doctor but colon cancer if dealt with quickly has a pretty good survival rate. im sorry you're going through this though, cancer is so fuckn terrifying and im always equally scared it or something similar is gonna fall on one of my parents. its scary but its faaar from over, and positivity helps immensely both on his and your part. be there for him and keep him in good spirits if necessary, dont let him lollygag on that chemo tho either. good luck

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Just be there for him that’s really the only thing you have power over in this situation cancer is horrible & unpredictable both my parents had cancer my dad got diagnosed quickly started chemo and within a month or 2 went into remission and thankfully has yet to comeback meanwhile my mom had several bouts with multiple forms of cancer since I was a child she could never shake it for more than 6 months usually less before it came back and she passed away way too soon a couple years ago she just couldn’t fight anymore.She used to tell me that the worst part was always thinking and worrying about it so I would always say and do odd things to make her laugh and get her mind off it for even a brief while because I was an excellent child.One of the best things I ever did for her was go with her to her chemo treatments because those can be hell if your sitting there for hours alone with nothing to do but think and I was shocked how many patients were there by themselves and were miserable.

Hopefully your dad beats this quickly and has a full recovery and this is just a minor bump in the road.

Blog Entries

just seeing this now. not much to say beyond what's already been said (my family's experience with cancer happened before I was old enough to remember) but I hope your whole family pulls through.

Executive Vice President Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

He told me it’s Stage IV and has spread to his liver. He’ll have chemotherapy, surgery, then more chemotherapy. Just gonna hope for the best I guess.

Blog Entries

Yikes. Just stay by his side and hope for the best. The main thing he needs from you right now is support.
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

I know we don’t exactly get on 100%, but I lost my dad at a young age so if you need anyone to talk to don’t hesitate to send me a message.

PS Go Blues!

Blog Entries

Stay by his side and show lots of love and support, and have lots of hope.

Global Moderator Smiling Politely's Avatar

My dad had colon cancer too. Just be there for him as much as you can, no matter how rough it can feel to be present when something so difficult is happening. And remember that cancer can bring about a grieving process for everyone involved, so be kind to the family members this impacts (including yourself) since grief can bring about complex emotions.

Thread Information