• 2/5

3 27.27%
  • 1/5 James Woods

3 27.27%

Thread: Family Guy R&R "Adam West High"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Family Guy R&R "Adam West High"

When Mayor West passes away, Brian and Quagmire run to replace him. Season Finale

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

Blog Entries

ehhhh. plot was mildly intriguing, but nothing really happened. brian and quagmire barely ran for mayor and there was no payoff at all. jokes were hit-and-miss, some funny moments but a lot of thuds like the extended hannity scene (i was worried when they cut to matthew perry it would literally never stop but quagmire's remark saved it). i guess the mayor west tribute was nice? but this wasn't one for the history books sadly. 2.5/5

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: John95, Sam

Stuff I liked
    21 cat launcher salute
    Peter expressing annoyance over it being a politics episode.
    As much as Quagmire can go fuck himself, his insults towards Brian before the bus crash were admittedly a little funny (calling him Snoopy and telling him to "Sit, Ubu sit!").
    "Please don't use the familiar form for a guy you never knew"
    Racoon accountant
    Brian crashing Quagmire's party, even him face planting on the hard ground got a laugh out of me!
    Closing bit with Adam West (obviously filmed before his passing, but does anyone know if it was released prior to his passing, it feels like it was)

Stuff I didn't like
    The whole "Filmed before a live studio audience" bit
    Meg eating with the serving spoon.
    Peter killing the elderly woman.
    Carol revealing the studio audience guy committed suicide.
    The scene with Brian announcing he's gonna run for mayor was complete shit for too many reasons to list!

Misc
    Well, fuck! Looks like you were right @Dr. Nihilistic. Quagmire's motive for running? To be a spiteful piece of shit, thus once again succeeding at being the unintentional worse of the two in these kind of episodes!

*Sigh* Well, after it was announced a few weeks back what this episode was going to be about I pretty much left all my expectations behind. The episode's title pretty much turns this into another Stand by Meg scenario since the school's named being changed is just a springboard for the actual plot of the episode which is... Another goddamn Brian & Quagmire episode because all the other episodes dealing with this annoying conflict were so "Great" right, especially with their very tired formula of turning Brian into a scumbag only to unintentionally make Quagmire (who is usually supposed to be shown as in the right) the worse of the two?

That being said though, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be mostly for how the conflict is kept at a bit of a minimum, Brian actually is in-character by not being a scumbag simply because the plot says so and there's a good number of memorable gags. But... in the usual fashion of these kind of episodes they STILL have to unintentionally make Quagmire the worse of the two which in this episode's case is best highlighted in how he refused to say anything nice about Brian after the aforementioned actually was able to do so for him despite their hatred for one another! Thus once again resulting in Quagmire proving himself to be the piece of shit who doesn't deserve any sympathy, much like with the earlier No Giggity, No Doubt.

1.5/5 very, VERY generously rounded up to a 2 for the poll, only for the gags that got a big laugh from me.

So now what do I have to say about the season as a whole? Well, unfortunately it was very similar to the last where most of the only noteworthy episodes remain exclusively within the first half of the season, and the overall number of ones either worth rewatching or putting on as background noise are close to the same (six for Season 16 and seven for this one). But because of that one extra episode, I guess that's enough to make the season edge out to being only slightly better then it's predecessor. As for how I'd rank the episodes from best to worst with blue being the best and red being the worst of the bunch:

Big Trouble in Little Quahog
    Island Adventure
    Pal Stewie
    Pawtucket Pete
    Griffin Winter Games
    Trans-Fat
    Throw It Away
    Stand by Meg
    Adam West High
    Girl, Internetted
    No Giggity, No Doubt
    Family Guy Lite

You Can't Handle the Booth!
    Dead Dog Walking
    Married...With Cancer
    Hefty Shades of Grey
    Trump Guy
    Con Heiress
    Last edited by John95; 05-12-2019 at 06:30 PM.
    Family Guy Season 18 Ratings - Yacht Rocky: TBD Bri-Da: TBD
    American Dad! Season 15 Ratings - Fantasy Baseball: 1.5/5 I Am the Jeans: The Gina Lavetti Story: 0/5 Stan & Francine & Connie & Ted: 0/5 Rabbit Ears: 1.5/5 Jeff and the Dank Ass Weed Factory: 1/5 Lost Boys: 0/5 Shark?!: 1/5 The Long March: 2/5 The Hall Monitor and the Lunch Lady: 0/5 Wild Women Do: 2/5 An Irish Goodbye: 3/5 Stompe le Monde: 0/5 Mom Sauce: 0/5 Hamerican Dad!: 0/5 Demolition Daddy: 0/5 Pride Before the Fail: .5/5 Enter Stanman: 0/5 No Weddings and a Funeral: 0/5 Eight Fires: 1.5/5 The Hand That Rocks the Rogu: 0/5 Downtown: TBD Cheek to Cheek: A Stripper's Story: TBD

This one was almost good, but a bit too narratively confused for my liking. I got the sense the writers were worried they'd just be rehashing Village Idiot, which is why a good chunk of this one isn't really about the mayoral election at all, but as a result, the plot just seems to peter out halfway through the second act, and doesn't really end satisfyingly. Brian and Quagmire being trapped on the bus felt like it would've been a good opportunity for some fresh interactions between the two, but it was mostly just used as a vehicle for hit-and-miss jokes - I laughed at the pancake breakfast bit, Quagmire butchering the driver's name, and the Melissa running gag, but the rest of was just chuckleworthy at best. I was almost expecting the episode to end with some random celebrity becoming mayor, but it just ended on a meta joke, which they seem to enjoy doing this season. Overall, although this one was reasonably funny throughout, it didn't really live up to the expectations I had from reading the synopsis, and was just another meh episode. So long, season 17!

2.5/5

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: John95

Quote Originally Posted by John95 View Post
    Closing bit with Adam West (obviously filmed before his passing, but does anyone know if it was released prior to his passing, it feels like it was)
    Yes, it was a promo for The Quest for Stuff.

Blog Entries

Pretty boring. Killing Adam West off before the episode even began disappointed me...although I guess they boxed themselves into a corner by having him show up as a ghost earlier in the season!

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It was from one of the ads Adam West filmed 5 years ago promoting Family Guy: The Quest for Stuff.

Boring episode, had a potentially interesting plot, but chose to do nothing with it. Minute long Hannity screenshot was noticeably bad. Liked the "none of that was live?" runner and the "vote who should be mayor" joke at the end, also the 60's Batman credits music. 2/5
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by 1010011010 View Post
    Boring episode, had a potentially interesting plot, but chose to do nothing with it. Minute long Hannity screenshot was noticeably bad. Liked the "none of that was live?" runner and the "vote who should be mayor" joke at the end, also the 60's Batman credits music. 2/5
    The only part of "vote for who should be mayor" that was good was the line about how it was just Fox fishing for viewer E-mails. You would think there would be at least one episode written where Quahog has a mayor. Actually, what might make a good running gag is, imply that there is a new mayor, but just never use his name; just refer to him as "the mayor."

And in case anyone didn't notice the eight million other places I probably mentioned this (okay, just once so far, in the Bob's Burgers thread), Family Guy is moving to 9:30 next season.

@John95, it's a sign of how predictable things are that Quagmire literally said that he was running out of spite.

I didn't think the episode was going to be that bad considering it was somewhat of a tribute to a beloved character, and it definitely wasn't among the worst this season, but once again, this feels like an idea they didn't give a shit about. By the end of the first act, I could already tell that the show was bored with the episode and would rather be doing something else. And it was just another Brian/Quagmire fight that led to absolutely nothing. I'm assuming they're just not going to mention the mayor anymore until they find a replacement years from now. It will be like on The Simpsons when Mrs. Krabappel died so Bart no longer had a fourth grade teacher, and still doesn't. There were some decent jokes here and there, but it wasn't any better than the last few episodes. The only reason to watch is just to see the tribute for Adam West, but the Batman-infused version of the Family Guy theme was actually cool to hear. 2/5

Now that I think about it, this is probably the first season finale in a long time that was at least tolerable. I think the last one was probably "Internal Affairs" in season ten. "Chap Stewie" wasn't that bad either, but it didn't feel like a season finale to me.

And now, this season is finally over. I'm not exaggerating when I say that this was the worst season of the entire series. I thought last season was bad, but this one somehow ended up sinking the show's quality even lower. It never ceases to amaze me how bored Family Guy is with itself. The jokes are as tired and stale as they've ever been, the characters have almost no charm anymore, and 95% of the stories here were underdeveloped and nonexistent. The show has become unfocused as hell and now relies solely on random gags to get to 22 minutes. There were way too many times this season where a scene took place, or they made some weird joke, and I had no idea what was supposed to be happening. The fourth wall jokes and meta jokes are more irritating than they've ever been, like the show has to remind you every five minutes that it's not real and you shouldn't care about anything these characters do. Why do you care when we don't? There were some episodes that were uncomfortable and painful to sit through, among the worst in the entire series (the two-parter to open the season, "The Griffin Winter Games," "Con Heiress," "Trump Guy," "No Giggity, No Doubt"). And I think I've finally gotten to the point where I'm bored with the show. New episodes give me almost no joy anymore, and it's a shame that after twelve years, I can't even stand to look at these characters half the time. I don't think there's any life left in Family Guy anymore. I get that animated shows can last a long time, but there's a reason why all shows have to end at some point, because then you get something like this. A show that has nothing left to say, has degraded each and every character, and hasn't been consistently entertaining in almost ten years. I really think this is the end for me. I'll always love Family Guy, but in 2019, it doesn't do anything for me anymore.

Wrote the book on flimflammin Grifty McGrift's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A solid season finale. A good mix of critiquing political ideologues in a much more cynical approach in recent years and Adam's tribute was awesome. 9.6/10

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nihilistic View Post
    I'm assuming they're just not going to mention the mayor anymore until they find a replacement years from now. It will be like on The Simpsons when Mrs. Krabappel died so Bart no longer had a fourth grade teacher, and still doesn't.
    Actually, if there season finale was any indication, it seems like they're content with making Ned his new teacher.

Actually, if there season finale was any indication, it seems like they're content with making Ned his new teacher.
    I'm surprised they actually remembered that. And it only took them a year to remind us that it happened.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

That's strange...when you go to the Fox Family Guy website, there's no mention about suggestions for the new mayor.

Gee, you don't think the fact that they pretty much have all of next season's episodes written (if Wikipedia is anything to go by), so if there is going to be a new mayor, the choice probably has already been made, has something to do with that, do you?

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

I say that it's time for Mayor Burt Ward.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

While I'm not fond how they tried to honor Adam West by making it another Brian vs Quagmire plot, it was better than I expected. Quagmire isn't as much as a big jerk as he was in previous episodes and doesn't get triggered too easily, but he still doesn't bother praising Brian even after the latter tried to say something nice to him. Still, I predicted in the end that neither of them would win due to lack of support/attendance from the candidates. I didn't minded the guys dissing Hannity, if they didn't have to drag it out for a minute. And that ending was the best and fitting way to end this underwhelming season. Season 17 has sucked at ending episodes due to irrelevant fourth acts that only lasted for a minute. On another note, their fourth wall jokes has been even more smug than usual and it's becoming a rule that being self-aware in every single new episode is a rule now. Not even Chowder overdid the fourth wall jokes back then. All in all, it's disappointing season, but it's no season 12-13.
    Simpsons: 4 > 6 = 7 > 5 > 3 > 8 > 2 > 14 > 15 > 13 = 10 > 9 > 16 > 20 > 1 > 24 = 21 > 26 > 22 = 25 > 23 > 19 = 27 > 18 = 28 > 12 > 11 > 17 = 29

Family Guy: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 5 = 6 > 15 > 16 > 10 > 14 > > 7 = 11 = 9 > 8 > 12 = 13

American Dad: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 6 > 5 > 8 > 9 > 7 = 11 > 10 > 13 (so far) > 12

The Cleveland Show: 2 > 1 > 4 > 3

Futurama: 5 > 4 = 1 > 2 = 3 > 7 > 6

Rick and Morty: 2 > 1 > 3

What can I say about this one? It was a huge pile of crap and a bad season finale. It was just another Brian and Quagmire fight with no end in sight. If it was Brian running against somebody else it would have been more tolerable. Brian shouldn't have ran because it made him more of a douche and Chris farting on him? WTF? And he's balding?? I agree with you Dr. Nihillistic. These characters, especially Peter, are so unlikeable that they are no longer the ones we use to love. It seems as though the writers have gave up on them. I'm so sick of the breaking the fourth wall gags. It's annoying. Burt Ward should have just walk in and took the job. Even better, Julie Newmar. I'm glad that Quagmire didn't win and the same goes for Brian. Quagmire is getting worse. Carol should have gotten more screen time because Adam West was her husband and it should have focus more on her. Political humor was done better on American Dad in its' early seasons not Family Guy. You can tell Peter hates politics. The only joke I loved was Brian landing hard on ground even though Quagmire didn't have a pool and Quagmire calling him Snoopy. This still gets a 1. Lets' hope that next season will be a lot better than this crap finale.

Some nice tributes to Adam West, a few good lines here and there, but at the end of the day, it was Brian vs Quagmire again. I didn't care for it the first time around, and the umpteenth isn't much better. A mediocre ending to what does feel like one of the worst seasons of the show. 2/5
    A little less Generic than before.

Thread Information