Thread: Brockway

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Brockway

North Haverbrook and Ogdenville are funny town names in this "plausible-yet-just-slightly-off" way but Brockway sounds so close to Broadway that it comes off as a cheap pun and I hate it, I hate it so much.

What are some other small things from first decade simpsons that bug you?

Executive Vice President Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The things that bug me about the Brockway scene are the facts that we never hear of that city again, yet Ogdenville and North Haverbrook have had many references. Also, those two cities seem to be near Springfield, but according to the map, Ogdenville looks to be in Arizona and Ogdenville in South Dakota. Of course, maybe Lanley just sucks at geography.

A classic joke that, while it never bothered me, just didn’t really do much was the joke in Mr. Plow where Homer says “This old gal is as sure-footed as a mountain goat,” and then a mountain goat slips. Maybe that was a fresh joke in the olden days and I’m seeing it 2019, where that kind of joke is bland. So that could be some of it.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

I would like to see Brockway at least once before the show ends. We've seen North Haverbrook and Ogdenville (the latter several times) so why leave the set incomplete?

As for early things that never gelled with me, I'd say Smithers being a jerk towards Homer and sharing that with Mr. Burns; I always felt like Burns and Smithers should have different opinions on Homer (which I think changed around 'Blood Feud') so Smithers being kinda accepting of Homer and not really having any strong feelings one way or the other fit much better and made things more interesting.

Also Jerkass Apu who used to shoot at people from the Kwik-E-Mart roof with a shotgun and celebrating Marge going to jail for making a simple mistake by looking like a mere shoplifter was something I never liked.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 05-07-2019 at 09:07 AM.

Blog Entries

Choosing the worst episode of season five to be the 100th episode. I mean, it's still good, but it's the worst of that season
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsbart View Post
    About milk, remember that this word has several meanings...

Lou the cop being white always looks off to me. So does blond Barney and black haired Moe. There may be a few others who had their palettes shifted (Smithers, Miss Hoover). I do wish they had stuck with Bart in the blue shirt. He certainly has the blue shirt in a lot of merchandise at least.
    Pokemon Moon Friend Code 5473-2104-2310
    Looking for shiny, legendary, and mythical. Got shiny Sandshrew (Alola)
    Have various starters, zorua, can breed many pokemon.
    Current egg move hatching: Tyrunt with fire fang

Although it's allowed for some decent throwaway gags, the idea of Kearney being an adult who's still in elementary school, or that he has a kid, has always bugged me.
    A little less Generic than before.

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Road Rage

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    I would like to see Brockway at least once before the show ends. We've seen North Haverbrook and Ogdenville (the latter several times) so why leave the set incomplete?

As for early things that never gelled with me, I'd say Smithers being a jerk towards Homer and sharing that with Mr. Burns; I always felt like Burns and Smithers should've have different opinions on Homer (which I think changed around Blood Feud') so Smithers being kinda accepting of Homer and not really having any strong feelings one way or the other on him fit much better and made things more interesting.

Also Jerkass Apu who used to shoot at people from the Kwik-E-Mart roof with a shotgun and celebrating Marge going to jail for making a simple mistake by lookin like a mere shoplifter was something I never liked.
    Yeah, the Burns/Smithers combo in the beginning was awful. Can't remember the episode where Homer calls him, "Kiss-ass Smithers," but that is what he did in those early episodes. I mean to go into Homer's house and laugh at Burns ridiculing him was an great insult. I think the only time he actually challenged Burns is Who Shot Mr. Burns.

Apu scene was ridiculous. Marge first would have not gone to jail. Second, Snake constantly robs him and he doesn't go after him. What about Sideshow Bob in Krusty Goes To Jail? Both were gun related robberies. I've been held at gunpoint, I'd rather they have stole.
    Do you kids wanna be like the real U.N., or do you just wanna squabble and waste time?

I'm sure I can come up with a lot of things, like what @CousinMerl said already, but another kiss-ass would be Martin. Martin would go out of his way to make Bart look dumb and flaunt his superior intellect. You wonder why he got the crap kicked out of him by bullies. Well he still gets the crap kicked out of him. But still, why didn't Bart?
    Last edited by Shoskin; 05-07-2019 at 08:05 AM.

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoskin View Post
    I think the only time he actually challenged Burns is Who Shot Mr. Burns.
    The first time was in the abeformentioned 'Blood Feud' when he couldn't bring himself to order the goons to brutalize Homer on Burns' order since he (Homer) saved the life of his boss with the blood donation from Bart. Like I said, this was likely the moment he changed his opinion of Homer and became much kinder to and accepting of him even with not having any strong opinion on him either way.

Also, I have to say that I don't really mind kiss-ass teacher's pet Martin not even now (as it still does happen that he acts arrogant and flaunts his intelligence, though not as often as in the classic era). I feel that this characterization of him works better than the smarmily kiss-ass Smithers with his dislike and ridiculing of Homer ever did.

Thread Information