• 2/5

5 55.56%
  • 1/5 trash

2 22.22%

Thread: Family Guy talkback: "Throw It Away"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Family Guy talkback: "Throw It Away"

The Griffins try to stop hoarding by throwing away old items, but a crazed Lois takes things a step too far.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

Blog Entries

dont really know how to feel about this one. certain jokes were amusing (Dunkirk/Clifford/"We cut out a scene where we figured it out") and there were some interesting visual elements you dont often see on this show. on the other hand it featured more Lois yelling and the plot was a little bare, didnt think peter being thrown out ended up mattering at all. but i guess outside of peter being brutally stabbed in the eye there wasnt much i really found unpleasant. so eh. 3/5

3. Thumbs Up To This Post by: John95

Quote Originally Posted by The Goode Family View Post
    outside of peter being brutally stabbed in the eye there wasnt much i really found unpleasant. so eh. 3/5
    Let's be glad they didn't have him getting a BULLET into the eye, that's even worse. But my god Lois is so goddamn annoying in the show. Her obnoxious voice nowadays reminds me of a CERTAIN yellow dinosaur...

barney6.gif
    Last edited by erichoff; 04-28-2019 at 05:59 PM.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Yeah this one gave me mixed feelings. While I really don't want to rant on Borstein's voice acting in every new episode just like how we always bash on Julie Kavner's modern Marge voice, I will just say Lois' characterization is all over the place. She spent the entire episode being OCD and then tried to do a suicide attempt and her speech confuses me. Cutaways and random gags are always the saving point if a plot is mediocre enough, so it gets some positive points for that.

A downgrade from Cherry's well written script last season Dog Bites Bear but oh well, she probably not writing any more episode on Family Guy due to working on The Orville (but fate will tell if FOX will renew it for a third season). It's funny how we got to see Joyce Kinney again in forever and 8 years ago we found out her maiden name was Chevapravatdumrong. Was Christine Lakin too busy these days?
    Simpsons: 4 > 6 = 7 > 5 > 3 > 8 > 2 > 14 > 15 > 13 = 10 > 9 > 16 > 20 > 1 > 24 = 21 > 26 > 22 = 25 > 23 > 19 = 27 > 18 = 28 > 12 > 11 > 17 = 29

Family Guy: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 5 = 6 > 15 > 16 > 10 > 14 > > 7 = 11 = 9 > 8 > 12 = 13

American Dad: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 6 > 5 > 8 > 9 > 7 = 11 > 10 > 13 (so far) > 12

The Cleveland Show: 2 > 1 > 4 > 3

Futurama: 5 > 4 = 1 > 2 = 3 > 7 > 6

Rick and Morty: 2 > 1 > 3

I'm actually surprised she even got an emmy for her vocal work considering this show.

Blog Entries

How odd that we've had two episodes in a row featuring decluttering and a garbage barge.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsbart View Post
    About milk, remember that this word has several meanings...

I would have liked it more if it weren't for Lois screaming. It's hard to write for her without her being all over the place. Seeing Meg use a voodoo doll of Lois cracked me up. When she poked a pin and threw it, I LMAO seeing Lois fly across the hall. Messing up Stewies' time travel machine was fun. I'm surprised Bornstein won an Emmy too. Cleveland and Joe stealing whats' left of the house was funny but overall it was a letdown. I'm throwing this episode away. 2.5.

Quote Originally Posted by fas1997 View Post
    Lois' characterization is all over the place. She spent the entire episode being OCD and then tried to do a suicide attempt and her speech confuses me.
    Except she wasn't going to commit suicide, she was out there because... Reasons.

Yeah, this was just simply OK. On one hand it's nice to have an actual Lois episode again after the pretty "Meh" Regarding Carter and her ultimately becoming a supporting player in her own subplot in Family Guy Lite simply for the whole thing to just randomly derail into another fucking "Brian sucks, and here's why!" story, and this episode had an actual three act structure unlike the main one of the aforementioned.

However, as others have pointed out the plot was pretty bare and Lois' yelling bordered on being like nails on a chalkboard. Still, the only truly godawful thing in it all was the also already aforementioned pointless scene of Peter having an arrow shot in his eye.

In terms of things I'll note that weren't already mentioned was the scene of Lois kicking everyone out for considering them "Clutter" was pretty dire (especially when Chris began yelling) and I liked the very subtle blink and you miss it callback to the earlier Buzz & Woody gag.

2/5 Yeah, I think that's about right for an episode that had an interesting premise only to end up being somewhat disappointing. Hopefully next week's will be somewhat better (especially with it being a much needed Meg episode instead of the four billionth Peter and/or one of the guys episode) since I'm not holding my breath for the finale.
    Family Guy Season 18 Ratings - Yacht Rocky: 1.5/5 Bri-Da: 2.5/5 Absolutely Babulous: 1.5/5 Disney's The Reboot: TBD Cat Fight: TBD
    American Dad! Season 15 Ratings - Fantasy Baseball: 1.5/5 I Am the Jeans: The Gina Lavetti Story: 0/5 Stan & Francine & Connie & Ted: 0/5 Rabbit Ears: 1.5/5 Jeff and the Dank Ass Weed Factory: 1/5 Lost Boys: 0/5 Shark?!: 1/5 The Long March: 2/5 The Hall Monitor and the Lunch Lady: 0/5 Wild Women Do: 2/5 An Irish Goodbye: 3/5 Stompe le Monde: 0/5 Mom Sauce: 0/5 Hamerican Dad!: 0/5 Demolition Daddy: 0/5 Pride Before the Fail: .5/5 Enter Stanman: 0/5 No Weddings and a Funeral: 0/5 Eight Fires: 1.5/5 The Hand That Rocks the Rogu: 0/5 Downtown: TBD Cheek to Cheek: A Stripper's Story: TBD

There isn't much to say about this one. It was reasonably funny and had a nice bottle episode feel, but wasn't super memorable otherwise. I've heard of the decluttering/joy thing, but am not super well versed in it, so it went over my head a bit. In any case, Lois was extremely annoying in this episode, but it wasn't as bad as Booth, at least. Jokewise, there wasn't anything super funny, but outside of the corn cutaway, which was stretched from being mildly amusing to being unfunny, most of them landed, and the scene of Peter trying to land a basket had some nice throwbacks to other episodes (Kathy Ireland!). Eh, I guess I didn't mind this one, enough that I can give it a decent grade.

3/5

11. Thumbs Up To This Post by: John95

I didn't care too much for the story, but that's more due to how unlikeable Lois has become over the years; there wasn't really anything wrong with the narrative itself. The humour made up for it, though man, that overly long gag about who paid for the house was excruciating, and acknowledging it didn't make it any funnier. 2/5
    A little less Generic than before.

Quote Originally Posted by Beggs View Post
    I didn't care too much for the story, but that's more due to how unlikeable Lois has become over the years; there wasn't really anything wrong with the narrative itself. The humour made up for it, though man, that overly long gag about who paid for the house was excruciating, and acknowledging it didn't make it any funnier. 2/5
    The main reason I hate those long gags is that whenever they do it, they're undercutting a joke that's actually funny. If they try shaving it off by 10 or 15 seconds, then it works, but it just gets to the point where I have no idea what I'm watching and I have to fast forward the episode. I did that multiple times this season.

Oh, absolutely. Stretching a joke out is a technique that has to be used sparingly, and under the right circumstances. If it's a forced attempt at "it's funny because it's so long", it rarely works.

When it comes to this season, Peter's booger was the worst offender in terms of the overly-long gag.

Thread Information