View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

6 20.00%
  • 4/5

4 13.33%
  • 3/5

11 36.67%
  • 2/5

7 23.33%
  • 1/5

2 6.67%

Thread: Rate & Review: "D'oh Canada" (YABF14)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Rate & Review: "D'oh Canada" (YABF14)

Season 30, Episode 21
    Original Airdate: April 28, 2019
    Writers: Tim Long & Miranda Thompson
    Director: Matthew Nastuk
    Showrunner: Al Jean
    Synopsis: On a family vacation to Niagara Falls, Lisa is mistakenly granted political asylum in Canada. When Marge goes to rescue Lisa, they are forced to re-evaluate their love for America as they navigate the polite Canadian landscape.

Previous R&R
    Next R&R

INDUSTRY REVIEWS
    - The A.V. Club - Dennis Perkins - B-
    - Den of Geek - Tony Sokol - 3.5 / 5
    - Bubble Blabber - Jesse Bereta - 9 / 10
    - Phil Payton {YouTube} - C-

SIMPSONS REDDIT DISCUSSION THREAD

TV VIEWERSHIP - 0.8 Rating / 4 Share - 1.93 Million Viewers

R&R Poll Average Score: 3.00 / 5 (as of April 30th / 14 votes)
    IMDB User Rating: 5.8 / 10 (as of April 30th / 92 users)
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 05-05-2019 at 08:58 AM.
    SEASON 30 RANKINGS
    Bart's Not Dead - 2.5/5 / Heartbreak Hotel - 1.5/5 / My Way or the Highway to Heaven - 3/5
    THOH XXIX = Intrusion of the Pod-Y Switchers - 1.5/5 / Multiplisaty - 2.5/5 / Geriatric Park - 2/5
    Baby You Can't Drive My Car - 2/5 / From Russia Without Love - 3.5/5 / Werking Mom - 3/5
    Krusty the Clown - 4/5 / Daddicus Finch - 5/5 / 'Tis the 30th Season - 2/5 / Mad About the Toy - 1.5/5
    The Girl on the Bus - 2/5 / I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can - 4.5/5 / The Clown Stays in the Picture - 1.5/5
    101 Mitigations - 3/5 / I Want You (She's So Heavy) - 1/5 / E My Sports - 3.5/5
    Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy - 4.5/5 / Girl's in the Band - 4/5 / I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh - 1/5
    D'oh Canada - 2.5/5 / Woo-hoo Dunnit? - 3.5/5 / Crystal Blue-Haired Persuasion - 1.5/5

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

I love boobies! Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This episode had potential...to be TERRIBLE. Luckily, it wasn’t that bad. There was some cringeworthy stuff here and there, like the writers’ jamming their political opinions into the episode. I was really worried this would end up like Throw Grampa From the Dane, where the country they spend time in gets fellated, but there were at least a couple jabs at Canada in there. I did enjoy some parts, such as the scenes at the school in Canada, although the Trudeau thing was kind of dumb. We had yet ANOTHER song in the episode. Seriously, what is with all the singing this season? What are they trying to accomplish with it? It’s so weird. They also repeated the Splashmore joke at the beginning, which would’ve been OK if they hadn’t done that exact type of joke earlier this season (or maybe it was last season). I guess I can buy Lisa’s desire to return to America based on the things the country has produced, but it wasn’t a very impressive resolution. It was just another EH-pisode. 3/5
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

Still can't ninja BloodySimpsonChibi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This episode was a mixed bag for me. Loved Lisa's imagine spot and the Sleepy Hallow reference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    I'd imagine patting Lisa on the head would sting, damn kids with their spiky heads.

MEH....

starting off with some cheap nostalgic ploy... with a lazy execution, followed by an uninspired song and a fat mess of a story that seemed to move along just to include more canadian cultural references than add anything to the story.

overall this was a very weak episode.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by BloodySimpsonChibi View Post
    This episode was a mixed bag for me. Loved Lisa's imagine spot and the Sleepy Hallow reference.
    Er, that's Sleepy Hollow...and I think the show missed a chance to reference the Fox TV series (although I did recognize one of the show's villains in a commercial for The Resident).

Speaking of reference, did the episodes referenced by the four license plates have anything in common?
    Ohio DABF11 (Weekend at Burnsie's)
    Michigan PABF1_
    Minnesota JABF02 (The Haw-Hawed Couple)
    Springfield YABF14 (D'oh Canada)

Still on my way home from New York but I was able to watch this episode on the bus.

While it was nice to have an episode about Canada written by a Canadian for once (which helped with the jokes - except when Lisa mispronounced SNC Lavalin), it really felt like this episode lacked much in the way of substance beyond Lisa feeling disillusioned by the U.S. until Louis Armstrong told her to go back in a dream? Fantasy? Molson's Jr. alcohol-induced hallucination? Whatever that was.

As a result there was a LOT of padding that I felt could have been used to either give the narrative more of an emotional punch or give Homer, Bart and Maggie a subplot (still not sure why they got written out until they returned sans Maggie for the ending) or tell more jokes (I would have enjoyed more hijinx of Marge trying to sneak back into the country).

The jokes we did get were fine but they were stretched out (like Newfie Ralph singing) and accompanied by a ton of padding (full opening with Season 20 classic TV homage couch gag, Homer's upstate New York musical number, faux Justin Trudeau planking and Nelson getting reunited with his father for the umpteenth time).

The real strength of this episode was in its visual gags... most notably the Stanley Cup lamp, the food pyramid of poutine and the maple syrup IV drip.

If I wasn't Canadian myself and inherently biased towards the subject matter, I'd probably have given this a lower score.
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 04-29-2019 at 07:17 AM.

Blog Entries

Well, it seems The A.V. Club gave it a B-. Not bad at all.

https://tv.avclub.com/lisa-flees-to-...for-1834368190

It was okay. The joke with Bart hanging up on Abe was mean spirited and I really hated that song. The golden age of the show had much better songs. We've seen this before when they went to Denmark. They want to stay but leave for stupid reasons. The rest of the jokes fell flat. The Denmark Episode was better than this.

-Apparently the governor of New York wasn't so thrilled with this lampoon of his upstate. A spokesman for the governor called the song "dumb cheap shots" (although made a couple Simpsons references himself in his statement). It was funny, but an easy target no doubt and not sure why we need so many songs this season. I guess each season is going to have its own quirk: Season 28 was "Burns fever", Season 29 was "Bart is a loser and Wilhelm screams" and Season 30 is "a musical number in every episode".
    -What did Homer say at Fort Dix? I must know!
    -Okay, the Simpsons have already been to Canada and to Niagara Falls, but I'm still holding out hope,
    -Yes, we get it Lisa, the Simpsons writers are liberal.
    -Canada has been called America's "goody two shoes brother" and now they're the "Ned Flanders to the north". I like it. :P
    -Well, at least they kind of made fun of Trudeau instead of more ass-kissing...
    -Marge's hair sticking out of the trunk.
    -Skype zone. Lol.
    -Kind of a quickie resolution, but not as nonsensical as I was expecting.

Travel episodes are known for their thin plots. In the HD era, most travel episodes seem to involve the family debating on whether or not to stay in the new location. In this case, it was just Lisa, but still the same basic concept. This episode was not bad, but it was a pretty good example of the shallow plot of an average travel episode. Lisa thinks Canada is woke, she wants to stay, someone tells her Canada has problems too, she still wants to stay, she remembers good things about America, and decides to leave. We saw a few scenes at the school, but not much of what her life with the Canadian family was like. Was it so great that she wanted to leave Springfield and even her family? Lisa's motives just seemed a bit flimsy and I wasn't totally buying her wanting to stay there. And our glimpse of Canada was minimal. The thing I remember the most was the dig at upstate New York. But it had some laughs and I was engaged in the episode the whole time. I'll give it a 3/5
    Get woke, go broke

Blog Entries

An okay traveling episode. The couch gag took to long and was already used at least once, then the Mount Splashmore beginning didn't even last a minute which is something I would've wanted to see more of. But I mostly liked all the parts with Lisa being attracted to Canada's lifestyle. Marge played a solid role while trying to convince Lisa to return home.

The first act had a nice nostalgic return of ''Can you take us to Mount Splashmore?'' while it was obvious to see that they were already there. I liked how the sign flipped over to ''Biological Warfare test range''. Homer being obsessed with his points and then following it up with a song felt like a drag to watch, but I liked some of the montage (RIP Toy's R Us). Good way of getting Lisa into Canada by flying her into a plastic ball down into the waterfall, then introducing Lisa to Canada's free healthcare. Lisa apparently has a lot of anger towards Trump.. which shouldn't be so surprising. Liked how Lisa was speaking Canadian. Some funny moments during the news report like Kent Brockman calling Canada the Ned Flanders of the north, and Barney turning into the moral center of the town. I thought Largo never liked having Lisa in his class, now she is apparently the only thing that makes his class bearable.

The classroom scenes were really good. Especially when Lisa got to livestream with Trudeau who they properly made fun of without the ass-kissing. Marge getting her hair stuck in the trunk was pretty funny, and that the kids called it a cars tail as part of a fashion. Apparently the teacher had to learn Lisa that Canada does have their flaws aswell. The Canadian Ralph-like kid gag took way to long. Really liked the scene with Lisa meeting waving America goodbye and then meeting celebrities who convince her to get back. I wasn't to big on the ending that randomly had 2 guys on snowmobiles willing to help, and then bail them out after the ice was breaking. And Homer has a hummer out of nowhere because tis apparently Detroits smallest car, which obviously just sinks into the ice. It was pretty cute to see Lisa greeting Springfielders back after getting home.

This episode doesn't feel much special, as most of it has already been done in older episodes. I give credit to most of the Canadian stuff which they properly made fun off without trying to overpraise. I really like that we saw more Marge/Lisa dynamic and that Lisa needed to remind herself why living in Springfield was so great. I liked the Canadian cast consisting of the mountie, doctor, teacher and Trudeau. The overall plot felt a bit shallow and the humor was pretty light. We didn't see much of Homer and Bart. I did like how the town recognised Lisa's role as the moral center of the town, other than a few gags we didn't see much of how it impacted Springfield. The pacing was mostly fine, I only didn't like how short the Mount Splashmore beginning was and how the main plot ended by traveling on ice.

3/5
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Halloween of Horror/Every Man's Dream 28: There Will Be Buds/Moho House 29: Gone Boy/Throw Grampa from the Dane

Well I don't know what to think about this episode but here I go:

- Its nice to see that the Canadians can take the piss out of themselves.
    - Making fun of how they have to say thing as in English and French must be a pain at times.
    - The Newfie song was kind of funny because It was in Ralph's voice.
    - I'm going to have to look up what Lisa asked the Prime Minister Trudeau.
    - Lisa being an animal rights advocate should have know that Canada has a very big fur industry, ie the scene with Canadian Ralph playing with the baby seal head.
    - They mentioned other social problems they have like the US.
    - I use to know some girls from Victoria and they said they laughed at Quebecers too.
    - Lisa liberal writers are getting old. There was a lot of bullshit she was spewing. Plus she wasn't a political prisoner, she was just moaning about what she thinks the world should be like according to her. Universal healthcare isn't perfect. Schools here teach about climate change.
    - Why did Marge have to sneak in to Canada or back into the US? All they needed was their passport.

-I would be disappointed to if I got Ottawa. Its Toronto or no one. Well that's harsh, anyone but Le Hab de Canadiens.

-I have no problem with Canada. Got my first bar experience drinking a lot of Bass Ale and Moosehead for my 21st birthday. Haven't had a Molsen or even a Labatt in a long time. My only problem was once again the writers are going out of their way to be liberal douche bags with Lisa as the lightning rod. Again, another Lisa episode of her shaking her damn finger at everyone.

I'm going to bee nice: 3/5.
    Do you kids wanna be like the real U.N., or do you just wanna squabble and waste time?

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

The episode was mediocre at best. Plot-wise it had a good premise (dealing with the family going upstate New York and visiting Niagara Falls where Lisa tumbles down the falls (in an inflatable ball-suit) during playing some kiddie gladiator game with Bart, ends up in an hospital in Canada and decides to stay in the country after being mistaken for wanting asylum there when she voices her displeasure with America and loving the country and feeling just at home) but the way it was done was just very meh and didn't have anything that really good out as that good; it just sort of plodded along with a few good spots here and there and a few fairly decent jokes here and there, though it was better than I thought it was gonna be so that's a positive even though the episode was kinda bland and treaded familiar ground with no big surprises or a lot of interest.

It did have some issues, one of which was the filler. It had almost the full intro with a long couch gag we've seen many years before and the first act (which showed how the family got into Canada) felt like it was a bunch of segments and montages stuck together with the Mount Splashmore intro, the car ride after Homer, Homer's song (which I don't think needed to be this long or even exist, but eh, it sounded nice), Bart and Lisa playing in their inflatable ball suits which leads to the main story; it needed better direction and should've started sooner to avoid letting the plot come off as thin and underdeveloped. The scene in the hospital where Lisa gets free healthcare (one of the upsides of the country), makes her decision and the rest of family has to leave her was decent (as was the bit with the prime minister) but for the most part the stuff in Canada was basic with the usual stereotypes and fairly dull and unimaginiative. Despite everything it had going for it i don't feel it ever really lifted and took advantage of the story with the family going to Canada (though I liked that they didn't go too far praising the country like they've done in recent travel episodes, almost to the point of looking like travel commercial, and actually tried to take jabs at the one in question like the old ones).

It also got kinda messy and started to point in kind of a criss-cross line. So Marge does not accepting Lisa's wish and not wanting to have any of it, smuggling herself into Canada with the help of Squeaky Voiced Teen and forces Lisa to come with her (painting herself as the villain) and Lisa coming to accept it once her teacher says that Canada isn't perfect, but then they aren't allowed back and have to stay but accepting it, but when Lisa takes a last look at the US and has a random hallucinatory sequence of the Americans she likes (such as historical figures including Louis Armstrong) and changes her mind. Then her and Marge goes across the icy river separating the countries by snowmobiles (but the drivers abandons them) and then Homer and Bart magically shows up in a truck (which promptly sinks so they run across the last part with no problem despite it looking like they are in trouble; anticlimactic much?) and ending with Lisa running around town and proclaiming how much she missed everything about Springfield in an 'It's A Wonderful Life'-esque scene; then there's the okay show-and-tell scene of Lisa bringing in the mountie on his horse from before. Nothing really grabbed my attention or had me too invested; it wasn't bad but felt a little trite and uneventful overall.

There were some good jokes and gags to be had but none that really stood out as memorable or anything, just maybe a line or gag or two (one was that nerdy kid in the back of Lisa's Canadian class wanting to do that one particular stage play but getting declined & Marge hiding in the car trunk with the top half of her hair sticking out and Squeaky Voiced Teen passing it off as one of those car tail adornments to the border guard), the animation was fine but nothing special (though the Lous Armstrong bit there at the end of Lisa's hallucination fantasy had a little bit of dynamic to it) and the characterizations were decent for the most part, but thngs like Marge barging into Lisa's adoptive home in Canada and forcing her to come back to the point of caling her "little traitor" made her no favors (she essentially became the villain as said) and Bart getting kinda cruelly shot down by Homer calling him the family's spleen (as opposed to Lisa being the heart) whom they don't care about what it's for (what is with the writers and their dislike of Bart?). The big guest star here was prime minister Justin Trudeau as himself and even though his part felt a bit superfluous (though it made perfect sense that with him being such an important Canadian figure) he did well with his brief role and his gag (walking while planking) was decent.

So all in all, it never rose above being just average and it was nearly a worse one (the plot was made pretty convoluted and crazy despite the premise being rather down to earth) but it was still fairly tepid and bland, yet it never fell down to bottom level due to some of it's elements working well enough, including some of the Canada-related stuff such as the basis of Lisa wanting to stay in such a perfect country for her (I wanted them to do more with that). Sure, it was better than I thought it would be but it didn't make it any better really and for the most part it was just another typically average modern HD era tale which wasn't that interesting and failed to capture my full attention. It wasn't awful but any means and had some nice bits and pieces but was definitely middle grade.

2.5/5 rounded up to 3/5
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 04-30-2019 at 11:28 PM.

I know that everyone's a critic and everyone is entitled to their opinion but I absolutely can't understand where Jesse Bereta is coming from..

Looking at his previous reviews, he gave this episode a 9/10, he gave “I’m Just a Girl Who Can’t Say D’oh” a 8.5/10 and most damning in my mind, he gave “Girl’s in the Band” a 7.5/10

I think “Girl’s in the Band” is probably one of the strongest episode of the season, his opinion is absolutely backwards compared to mine.. he is canadian so I can understand why he'd like "D'oh Canada" but as a canadian myself pandering does nothing for me without a good story. That is why I enjoyed "Girl's in the Band" so much..

My opinions fall much more in line with Phil Payton , even if I sometimes disagree with his opinion, I don't want to sound like a gatekeeper or an elitist but I think he understands what the simpsons were and should be.

@Frankbags In Jesse's defense, you did kind of focus on a very small sample size of episodes. He did give both The Clown Stays in the Picture and I Want You (She's So Heavy) a 6 out of 10 score... which is pretty much the bottom end of his scoring scale.

It's not uncommon in any media industry for professional reviewers to artificially inflate their scoring scale and/or hand out raves like they're going out of style. Especially if they're "freelance writers" as Jesse is and may wish to land a gig in the industry themselves someday via networking. A 6 out of 10 on Bubble Blabber is essentially our 1 out of 5.

As for the disparity between I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh and Girl's in the Band, reviewing is always going to have an element of subjectivity to it. Even discerning viewers will deviate from the consensus opinion from time to time. I still consider Baby You Can't Drive My Car to be mediocre after repeat viewings and it's one of the most well-received episodes of this season. So I won't begrudge Jesse for not admiring Nancy's inaugural writing effort as much as the rest of us.

17. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Frankbags

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

At first I thought that Phil was going to give it a lower grade but settling on a C- feels about right for this one, I feel. It had the right ingredients with the premise with the political tones and absurdness of Lisa being mistaken for wanting asylum and letting it go through (as was something like Marge getting stuck there with her after sneaking in trying to force her home to Springfield) but the story just wasn't up to snuff and was was fairly thin and rushed (I guess much due to the episode taking so long to get started with that segmented first act).

Also, judging by something like the Reddit thread, it seems like some took offense with the Newfoundland jab with the Ralph clone singing the country's anthem and clubbing apart a baby seal plush toy (which was such an odd and strangely bizarre scene that came out of nowhere). I can see where they are coming from since the seal thing was kinda cruel but the show poking fun in dark ways like this is nothing new.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

You know this is a sign of an uninspired episode when it begins with the (almost) full opening and a long couch gag that is even recycled from season 20. If you have to recycle your couch gags, seriously, why the long and unfunny ones ? Anyway... Personally, I didn't like this episode. And when I watched it, I wondered if I didn't like it because I'm a European guy and I didn't get all the jokes and references towards Canada. But I don't think it's the main reason, I really have the feeling of watching a dull, generic and uninspired travel episode with pretty much nothing that shine in the middle of the overall mediocrity.

Things start awkwardly with a confusing first act that really sounds like filler. Between the first scenes at Mount Splashmore which add nothing special to the plot (and why doing again the "will you take us to Mount Splashmore" joke since we know right at the first second they're already here), another freaking song (which is just a bland parody of the song New York, New York, and as much as I love hearing Dan Castellaneta singing, this song was painfully long) and a weird way to launch the main plot with the inflatable balls, all of this with a number of déjà vu jokes sprinkled in, this is prettu bad of a beginning (though I liked the guy trying to hang himself at the closed Toys R Us). And that's not getting that much better when Lisa falls into Canada with already a number of stereotypical unfunny jokes about the country (Lisa having a drib of maple syrup, seriously ?). That part has, however, one of my favorite jokes of the episode, Homer saying to Bart he's the spleen of the family ("We don't know what it does and we don't care"), yeah it's another scene against Bart but since it's just for a little joke, I didn't have an issue with it.

This part also reveals the problem of the writers when they do jabs to politics now, because those days, it's a lot less subtle than the way they used to do years before with a number of episodes. To the point Lisa literally have to say Donald Trump is a son of a... gun. Twice. (And a third jab to him when Lisa wants to apologize in front of the Prime Minister Justin Trudeau about what Trump said about him; once again, seriously ?) At least, what I liked about this episodes is, like you guys said, it didn't go on Throw Grampa from the Dane territory about a country's representation, where the negative things that forced the Simpsons to leave the country were minuscule things played for laughs, when the rest of the episode felt like a promotional episode for the Danemark; here, at least, there are still some jabs to Canada, and they tried to make fun of both sides (bringing up the SNC-Lavalin scandal was a good touch), which is a nice initiative (even if the jabs were, once again, done in a pretty unsubtle way).

Besides all of this, the rest of the plot with Marge trying to get Lisa back to Springfield is never that engaging. Mostly because there is a lot of padding (which confirms my point of view about the uninspired side of the script). They rely too much on it, there's a lot of stretched out scenes, there isn't enough time for the conflict about Marge trying to sneak out of Canada with Lisa but the latter doesn't want to do so. Therefore, nothing special happens and the dynamics between the girls isn't engaging. The conflict is quickly resolved with Lisa having a fantasy with Louis Armstrong telling her to get her ass back to USA. How original (though I did liked Armstrong's comment "I'm mighty tired of having to keep appearing in your fantasies"). The last part messed up too, while trying to do a suspensful scene on the icy river. And once again, a useless and pretty dumb epilogue with Nelson's father (and Nelson seemingly having another brother) because yes sure, why not.

The episode wasn't that much funny either. Some jokes are decent ("Ned Flanders of the North", the canadians getting car tails in six months, and I laughed out loud for the "Skype zone" joke) but overall, they aren't really inspired or clever, both the visual jokes ("Supreme court of just ice", what the heck ?) and the quotes. Not to mention the meta joke with Mr. Largo that felt a little flat. All in all, this is yet another episode that didn't focused on the things it needed to focus. The main plot is underdeveloped, the humor is stretched out and underthought, the conflict is rushed... It's not a horrible episode but not a good one either.

2/5

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    The jokes we did get were fine but they were stretched out (like Newfie Ralph singing) and accompanied by a ton of padding (full opening with Season 20 classic TV homage couch gag, Homer's upstate New York musical number, faux Justin Trudeau planking and Nelson getting reunited with his father for the umpteenth time).
    This is actually the fourth time that couch gag has been used - the first three were the Season 20 episodes "How the Test Was Won" and "Coming to Homerica," and the Season 23 episode "Moe Goes from Rags to Riches."

Yeah, this was just boring. Not only was it loaded with padding, but none of the slams were fresh, and the plot wasn't interesting at all. Ironically, although it was completely useless, the Upstate New York song was probably my favorite part of the episode. After that, most of the jokes got pretty cheap, and the narrative basically vanished. Getting Lisa back into the United States could've been exciting if this episode wasn't so thinly written, and we learned why Lisa likes Canada to the degree that she'd want to stay there forever. I guess the two guys who wanted to help Marge and Lisa get back into the U.S. being jerks was sort of funny. I dunno, this one wasn't offensive, but just felt empty. Moving on.

2.5/5

Meh, a boring and uninspiring episode. The plot felt very rushed from the get-go. The whole through back to Mount Splashmore was nice but it was mostly just filler. While I did find Bart hanging up on Grandpa to be a bit cruel, keep in mind that Grandpa recently punched Bart in the face for making a harmless joke - an act which to me at least is far more cruel then simply hanging up a phone. To be perfectly honest, when Homer started singing another song I began to get the same feeling Bart must have had when he tried to jump out the car window. As mentioned above, there really does seem to be a thing where the writers just get obsessed over one specific theme or action and then just continue it for the whole season. Though I found the song to be boring, uninteresting and largely inoffensive, it really got a lot of politicians fired up in my home state, which I found to be fairly amusing. Gov. Cuomo criticized the song despite the fact that he claims to have never watched an episode of The Simpsons, likely reacting to the supposed "outrage." There is nothing wrong with making a jokes (this is a comedy after-all) and I kinda liked the appearance of the State Trooper (whose appearance was fairly accurate I might add.) Unfortunately though, this scene began the decent into a largely obvious attempt to showcase the writers' political views. I get that Lisa is very left leaning (which is totally fine) but she is only eight. I detest the constant attempt to make Lisa into either a teenager or a full blown adult when she is only a little girl - it ruins her whole character. This is part of the reason that I believe there is such intense dislike for Lisa at times (I even saw comments wishing that the recent couch gag with Lisa getting dusted by Thanos - along with the rest of the family sans Maggie - was permanent for Lisa.) Further, I am largely uninterested in the writers political views. Their point was made clear very early in the episode, there was no need to continue having Lisa spew more political nonsense that has no place in a comedy as it is simply unfunny.

There were some nice parts, including the Skype Zone, the Canadian Prime Minister "escaping" from his office, Marge sneaking into Canada, and Homer and Bart rescuing Marge and Lisa but overall the episode was forgettable. Not incredibly bad, but not one that I would go back to watch again. A low 3/5.

A 1/5 for me. None of the jokes landed, not even the Skype Zone since we've seen Bart and Homer make a shambles out of the house while Marge is away. I don't think they did enough to make fun of Canada or Trump and I hated the songs (yes Newfoundland Ralph Wiggum's gibberish counts). I remember when Simpsons songs were catchy- I can still sing the entire See My Vest and Dr. Zaius numbers- but lately the tunes are just borrowed (like Marge and the Old Blue Mayor song) not original tunes. I'm sorry I found nothing enjoyable about this episode. There were a few from this season that I'd rewatch (Girl's In The Band) but not this one.
    Pokemon Moon Friend Code 5473-2104-2310
    Looking for shiny, legendary, and mythical. Got shiny Sandshrew (Alola)
    Have various starters, zorua, can breed many pokemon.
    Current egg move hatching: Tyrunt with fire fang

Mom, Bart's Smoking!

I didn’t care for this episode at all, everything seemed forced and underdeveloped. Most of the Canada jokes felt like they’d been done before and this is like the 4th time they’ve been to Canada. Every vacation episode seems to be about a character wanting to stay at the destination anymore. The funniest joke for me was the sign that said Give us your Alec Baldwin’s, Lena Dunham’s, yearning to breathe free. D-

Getting carried away on you Venomrabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It was... ehh. No highs nor particular lows. Wasn't as heavy handed as it could have been but it still was fairly heavy handed. I just don't remember too much from it, which probably isn't a great sign since I could still summarize things about Girl's in the Band for instance.

Biggest headscratcher was everyone's reaction to her leaving. Especially with Mr Largo. I get the thirty years remark since it's referencing the couch gag but then it was always Lisa who went and ruined it by going off-sheet and soloing. I get that the writers needed another moment where nobody can ever do anything right unless it's either Lisa or Lisa's right there but it seems more like he should have been glad she'd gone.

Yeah that's the most memorable moment. Oh, and the little bit at the end with her running through Springfield, that was a nice littlebit.

Though now I do wanna see one opening where the twist seems like it'd be Lisa playing a different instrument again but actually it turns out someone else like Janey is throwing it off instead.

Modern episodes of The Simpsons that barely reach the status of mediocre often make the same mistakes: repetition of overexploited themes, predictability, low-level jokes or dedicated to a specific audience and certain questionable characterizations. The tendency is that such trips always have the signature of a group of regular writers. Tim Long, and Miranda Thompson, are among them.

As you can imagine, I can find all these characteristics here, to a bigger or lesser extent. This is the third time in the last three seasons that writers have criticized the costly health system in the United States and compared it with one from another country, making the family vacation or decide to move to the country in question. Cuba, Denmark, and now Canada. I am not against the repetition of ideas, but this is already excessive. I was annoyed by the Simpsons walk in New York. It is the second time that Long does not respect the established between Homer and said city in season 9. On the contrary, he tries a callback to Mt. Splashmore, which can not adapt to the plot and is a simple reference. The scene in which they mock the resection of the country could be better if it had not been adorned with a song. The best of this episode is in what we see of Springfield while Lisa remains in the Nordic country: I had a lot of fun with the way Brockman presents the news, I also liked what we see of Springfield without Lisa, and how Homer and Bart live in a dumpster. I really liked the final scene in which Lisa returns to Springfield. There's even room for a fun scene of Squeaky Voiced Teen, cheating the border with Marge's illegal entry. By the way, I also want to emphasize her characterization, which seemed very successful for his patriotism and for the attachment she has with his daughter.

But what we see of Lisa in Canada is inconsequential to me, as had happened with Cuba and Denmark. Maybe the day I travel to Argentina I have a different appreciation of these episodes. At the moment, I'm not attracted to anything. It does not appeal to me to know what the political profile of the writers is, nor to know what is the accent of a Canadian, or who is the prime minister of that country or why it is so fantastic. I also did not know what Trump said about Trudeau, although I'm sure it will not matter in a few months. Maybe it would have been different if they really tried to relate those issues to the Simpson family in some way that is interesting to the neutral viewer. And do not get me wrong, my problem is not with Canada, but with references that only people in a specific country or group enjoy. Come on, the scene where Lisa appreciates the goodness of the United States was an annoyance for me, even though the Yankee culture is spread all over the place. Everyone knows Lincoln, Dumbo, Louis Armstromg. Even this series is from the United States, and I consume it from the other hemisphere. But it is not necessary to expand nationalism, it is not necessary that the jokes are intended for a particular audience. Maybe you (Canadians, Americans) enjoy this kind of episodes, but for me it's a mess. I'm not saying do not make specific jokes for the Yankees, or asking them to stop traveling, but they do add a spice for all of us to enjoy. I do not know if I explain.

From my point of view, D'oh Canada is a mediocre episode, with a weak story that has a weak and hasty ending, with a compendium of jokes that are not efficient, that is saved from the absolute failure by what develops in Springfield . I look forward to the day when travel is a matter of satire and not praise. I think the last good episode of this style was in season 25, when the Simpsons traveled to Brazil.

2/5
    Fan of the Outstanding Animation Show of 2019.

Need more be said? Very much a copy and paste modern travel plot with the same basic story beats, an unnecessary musical number, and another mean-spirited line that threw Bart under the bus. The first act was kind of fun though, and the scene with the kids sneaking Marge across the border were a highlight. But for the Canada references, we've seen it before. 2/5
    A little less Generic than before.

GOOD THINGS ABOUT THIS EPISODE

The meta-joke about the production codes on the car license plates
    The Hall of Just Ice
    Skype Zone

NO OTHER THINGS

​C-
    Season 30 Ratings
    Bart's Not Dead C- Heartbreak Hotel ​D My Way or the Highway to Heaven ​D- Treehouse of Horror XXIX ​C- Baby You Can't Drive My Car ​B+ From Russia Without Love ​B- Werking Mom ​C Krusty the Clown ​B Daddicus Finch B+ 'Tis the 30th Season ​D+ Mad About the Toy ​C+ The Girl on the Bus ​C I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can ​C- The Clown Stays in the Picture ​C- 101 Mitigations C+ I Want You (She's So Heavy) ​C E My Sports ​B- Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy ​C- Girl's in the Band ​B- I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh ​B- D'oh Canada ​C- Woo-hoo Dunnit? ​B Crystal Blue-Haired Persuasion ​C+

Thread Information