Thread: Cosmic Wars vs. Star Wars

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Cosmic Wars vs. Star Wars

This thread is not just about The Simpsons/Star Wars references, but as you can see from the title, it is more about inconsistency of the parody (such as Cosmic Wars) existing alongside the object parodied - but we all know that Star Wars does not actually exist in the Simpsons universe. And this is only one of dozens of similar examples that were never explained. So, what do you think about that?
    Last edited by BartArt; 04-16-2019 at 08:59 AM.

Blog Entries

My headcanon is that it's just an A Bug's Life/Antz scenario on a larger scale

Radioactive man and Classic Era Batman.. Adam west was in the Mr Plow episode.

They then parodied a lot of the classic batman in the Radioactive man episode, i.e. dancing.

and then quite a few years later they had an episode where krusty plays a villain on classic batman.

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

I've always found inconsistencies like this on the show wierd (a couple of others I recall is Mapple/Apple and Zii/Wii). It's as if they cannot decide it's either gonna be the in-show alternate/parody or the real-life thing and it can turn out a bit jarring at times, but it's not really an issue per se.

@CousinMerl - yeah, I don't count it as a problem either, but that's really weird.
    It's like the Simpsons live in two separate realities despite the show already has many non-canon episodes for various reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankbags View Post
    Radioactive man and Classic Era Batman.. Adam west was in the Mr Plow episode.

They then parodied a lot of the classic batman in the Radioactive man episode, i.e. dancing.

and then quite a few years later they had an episode where krusty plays a villain on classic batman.
    That's what I was thinking too. And don't forget "Dark Knight Court" episode, in which Mr. Burns takes a liking to the Detective Comics, featuring Batman; and after that he become a crime fighter by himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Homer View Post
    My headcanon is that it's just an A Bug's Life/Antz scenario on a larger scale
    That's probably the only way of accepting it.
    Last edited by BartArt; 04-16-2019 at 05:37 AM.

I find it a little irritating, especially when the "parody" is so thin. "Cosmic Wars" was at least a decent parody of The Phantom Menace (even if it was several years too late), but "Mapple" is just Apple with an "m". So clever. They seem to use the real thing when it's just a small reference, but if it's the whole episode ("Co-Dependents Day", "MyPods and Boomsticks"), they will go with the parody version.
    Get woke, go broke

SuperFriend Rembrandt Q. Einstein's Avatar

Apart from his appearance as the President in the film, Schwarzenegger is mentioned as somehow existing apart from Wolfcastle in the Springfield universe in "Radioactive Man":

"But, Milhouse, they haven't cured anything! Heart disease and world hunger are still rampant. Those do-gooders are all a bunch a pitiful losers...every last one of them. Want results? You have to go to the Schwarzeneggers, the Stallones, and to a lesser extent, the Van Dammes."

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: BartArt

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Q. Einstein View Post
    Apart from his appearance as the President in the film, Schwarzenegger is mentioned as somehow existing apart from Wolfcastle in the Springfield universe in "Radioactive Man":

"But, Milhouse, they haven't cured anything! Heart disease and world hunger are still rampant. Those do-gooders are all a bunch a pitiful losers...every last one of them. Want results? You have to go to the Schwarzeneggers, the Stallones, and to a lesser extent, the Van Dammes."
    Ditto Mike Tyson appearing on a poster in The Mansion Family despite Drederick Tatum still being a character in the show.

SuperFriend Rembrandt Q. Einstein's Avatar

Clupid bloropope Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nitsy View Post
    They seem to use the real thing when it's just a small reference, but if it's the whole episode ("Co-Dependents Day", "MyPods and Boomsticks"), they will go with the parody version.
    Al Jean said this was pretty much the case in the commentary for Husbands and Knives.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

Blog Entries

The weirdest paradox is when they have the actual Wallace and Gromit creator Nick Park voicing himself, but as the creator of "Willice & Crumbles"

Thread Information