Thread: The Simpsons would end due to voice actors' ages?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

The Simpsons would end due to voice actors' ages?

Hi everyone!. I think that The Simpsons would end due to the 6 members of the main voice cast are already old:

Dan Castellaneta (Homer) and Nancy Cartwright (Bart) are 61-year old.
    Julie Kavner (Marge) is 68-year old.
    Yeardley Smith (Lisa) is 54-year old.
    Hank Azaria (Apu, Moe, Chief Wiggum, Carl, Comic Book Guy and many another characters) is 55-year old.
    Harry Shearer (Ned Flanders, Lenny, Mr. Burns, Waylon Smithers and many another characters) is 75-year old.

Smith is the youngest member of the cast while Shearer is the oldest. Yeardley Smith thinks that The Simpsons would end in 2021 (after season 32) due to Disney's acquisition of 20th Century Fox and she thinks that Disney would be turn The Simpsons into a kid show and that's why the series could end. But if one of The Simpsons' main voice cast members die, is fired or resigns? It would also lead to the end of the series since they would be forced to remove one or several main characters from the show.

I don't want that The Simpsons end in 2021, that would leave orphans to many another cartoons like Family Guy, Rick and Morty or South Park. For me, I hope that The Simpsons ends when the show reached 1000 episodes. Greetings!. =D

Non-Simpsons scare me. Road Rage's Avatar

Some people reckon they would just find replacement voice actors if necessary. I'm not so sure. Regardless, surely by now those who have worked on the show for most of its lifetime reckoned long ago it's time to throw in the towel.

You yourself have noticed that the main cast members are not young anymore, however, actually old age does not begin until 70 - and from this point of view, only Harry Shearer is already on board... Anyway, that's not it, of course. Fox once threatened to replace the six main voice actors with new actors, back in 1998, and Disney will definitely found the replacements when the time is right...
    So I'd rather believe that they are going to replace Dan Castellaneta with Seth MacFarlane than the other thing, as I said earlier.
    Last edited by BartArt; 04-13-2019 at 03:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BartArt View Post
    You yourself have noticed that the six main voice actors are not young anymore, however, actually old age does not begin until 70 - and from this point of view, only Harry Shearer is already on board... Anyway, that's not it, of course. Fox once threatened to replace the six main, back in 1998, and Disney will definitely found the replacements when the time is right...
    So I'd rather believe that they are going to replace Dan Castellaneta with Seth MacFarlane than the other thing, as I said earlier.
    that is my nightmare.. don't jinx the simpsons with that name..

Yeah, it's hard to believe that Mr. Burns actually IS voiced by an old man now. Maybe that's why Burns still sounds pretty strong. But when watching the recent episodes, yeah, I've noticed the age is taking a toll on the cast. Nancy Cartwright's Ralph Wiggum sounded a little weak in a recent episode I saw, and let's not forget poor Julie Kavner's Marge. It's obvious when Marge gets upset; she goes from sounding like a 36-year-old to an 86-year-old! The only cast members that still sound really good (for the most part) are Dan Castellaneta and Hank Azaria.

6. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kes, Road Rage

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They’ll be recast if the money is there.

Nancy Cartwright is 61? I didn't know that. She looks good. Anyway, the show should leave after 2021. Replacing the original would be a diaster.

Blog Entries

I hardly think they're going to end the show over loss of voice actors, somehow. I mean, any other show, yes probably, but this one would have ended for various other reasons already if the execs had that kind of attitude toward it. I reckon they'll just re-cast each role. For such a popular and long-running show, it's statistically very likely that they can a) find people who mimic each voice near-perfectly, and b) can afford to pay them enough to do this show rather than whatever other career they have right now. Also, most of the VAs really aren't that old. My money would be on them retiring because they're bored of it and don't need the cash, long before they leave due to old age sickness or death. Sure, they probably do enjoy it, but any project this long-running gets to feel like a gesture of goodwill to keep working on, so it's inevitable that someone will crack soon.
    "Because you watched House, we think you'll enjoy... Fuller House."

Party time... excellent...

Quote Originally Posted by wiley207 View Post
    Yeah, it's hard to believe that Mr. Burns actually IS voiced by an old man now. Maybe that's why Burns still sounds pretty strong. But when watching the recent episodes, yeah, I've noticed the age is taking a toll on the cast. Nancy Cartwright's Ralph Wiggum sounded a little weak in a recent episode I saw, and let's not forget poor Julie Kavner's Marge. It's obvious when Marge gets upset; she goes from sounding like a 36-year-old to an 86-year-old! The only cast members that still sound really good (for the most part) are Dan Castellaneta and Hank Azaria.
    Imagine Mr. Burns voiced by Carlos Alazraqui, that could sound very similar to Mr. Crocker from The Fairly OddParents.

11. Thumbs Up To This Post by: wiley207

Blog Entries

i tweeted ten years ago something like "hank azaria is now the same age that harry shearer was when the simpsons started" and azaria replied something like "i know, im old!" well guess what you're now ten years older you'll be DEAD soon! ahahaha. i probably won't tweet that to him though.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsbart View Post
    About milk, remember that this word has several meanings...

Quote Originally Posted by wiley207 View Post
    You can say that again! Marge's voice sounds really weird at times. But that doesn't prevent The Simpsons from producing more and more flashback episodes like The Clown Stays in the Picture, which is not only the most ridiculous episode of the whole Season 30, but also highlights the aging voice of Julie Kavner for real.

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: wiley207

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I think that the show ends if either:
    (a) any of the "big six" die - they wouldn't be replaced out of respect for the actor, and possibly also because too many people would complain about the change,
    or (b) Dan, Hank, or Harry decide to leave the show - each of them does too many regular voices to be replaced easily. Julie, Nancy, and Yeardley can be replaced relatively easily.

Thread Information