Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ‘The Simpsons’ to Stream Exclusively on Disney+

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    Additional censorship in existing episodes? Is Disney notorious for censoring? I’m not too familiar.
    I've been thinking of possible censorship of the show on Disney+ and I think that it could happen, that with the talks of Disney not hesitating of doing some censoring and cutting for the material on the streaming service (for instance I see continous rumors of the scene with the crows in 'Dumbo' being cut). I wonder what might be cut if they decide to bring out the scissors on the show? I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

If they remove the crows in Dumbo then they might as well remove :

" The Shanghai, Hong Kong, Ming Fu Yang
    Fortune cookie always wrong " part from the Arisocats.

The cats from Lady in the Tramp

Under The Sea Song from the Little Mermaid " The Black Fish she sings "

The Indian song from Peter Pan

The whole of Hunchback of Notre Dame as they use the slur "Gypsy " and Pocahontas ? Bye

Princess and the Frog "Stately homes and mansions of the sugar barons and cotton kings "

Heck, just burn the whole lot.

Edit : This is how you do it.

Favorite by season
    1.Krusty Gets Busted 2. Bart Gets An F 3. Lisa's Pony 4. Duffless/Last Exit to Springfiled 5. Homer's Barbershop Quartet 6. And Maggie Makes Three 7. The Curse Of The Flying Hellfish 8.Hurricane Neddy 9 Das Bus 10. Wild Barts Can't Be Broken 11. Saddlesore Galactica 12. HOMR 13. Weekend at Burnsie's. 14. How I Spent My Strummer Vacation. 15. The President Wore Pearls.

Blog Entries

people always bring up that WB splash page but forget there are literally at least a dozen(in actuality there are quite a few more) Looney Tunes cartoons that will never again see the light of day, no disclaimer in the world can save them
    Fuck Joe Biden. #NotMyPresident

Blog Entries

The service is up and as of now the classic episodes are still cropped, and there are no commentaries, both of which I’m seeing a lot of people unhappy with so perhaps this will change in the future. Simpsons Movie is up and appears to be untouched, haven’t gone through some of the more controversial censored scenes in individual episodes yet(like the Catholic Church ad in Sunday Cruddy Sunday). Stark Raving Dad is absent, so season three again starts with Mr Lisa Goes to Washington.

(also as an aside the crows are not cut from Dumbo)

I actually saw a screenshot earlier today with the description for 'Dumbo' saying that the movie may contain outdated cultural depictions which immediately explained that it is uncut as opposed to what the rumors said.

As for 'The Simpsons', it sucks to hear that they still use widescreen cropped versions of instead of the original aspect ratio ones like they should (and I'm guessing these are also those ugly DNR'ed transfers from the Simpsons World app; it makes me sad when I see screenshots of those cropped and smoothed out, pastel like scenes with no noise or grain).

So 'Stark Raving Dad' is absent (that one I had guessed with all the controversy). Would be nice to hear if anything got cut or censored from the episodes. Hoping for some eventual updates on the status of this (my region doesn't have the service yet, btw).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 11-12-2019 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    I actually saw a screenshot earlier today with the description for 'Dumbo' saying that the movie may contain outdated cultural depictions which immediately explained that it is uncut as opposed to what the rumors said.

So 'Stark Raving Dad' is absent (that one I had guessed with all the controversy). Would be nice to hear if anything got cut or censored from the episodes. Hoping for some eventual updates on the status of this (my region doesn't have the service yet, btw).
    It would be hard to remove the crows from Dumbo, as, IIRC, the last "line" of the film is them reprising "When I See an Elephant Fly." The only censorship I expect is things like the "black Centaurs" from Fantasia.

As for censored Simpsons episodes, does anybody know what scenes, if any, were changed/deleted in the FXNow/Simpsons World versions? I don't expect Disney to restore any cuts that already existed.

@That Don Guy, I was thinking so too about the 'Dumbo' thing, that and that to have taken out the scene would have removed an very important part of the movie and made the ending rather incomprehensible. It was ridiculous that some official online media outlets actually ran that that rumor as news touted as fact.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 11-12-2019 at 02:42 PM.

It’s going to be a while yet before it launches in New Zealand, and I can pay for it, so out of curiosity, what pictures/screencaps do they have heading each episode? It’s common knowledge that streaming services are notoriously hard to screencap/record these days, but it’d be interesting to see what Disney wants you to think of a certain episode before you watch it.

Blog Entries

every episode has a screenshot from the episode as it’s header, or whatever. For instance the episode “Homer Vs. Dignity” has a shot of Bart and Lisa standing on the frame of Homer’s car after he sells the back seat.

Blog Entries

Can't say I love the cropping but actually, I kinda prefer the noise reduction. Always hated it when things were super grainy and, as a fanartist, it's nice to have refs where the lines are actually clear. But it would have been nice if it could have been in 4:3, don't usually care much about aspect ratios but when it means cutting the frames in an often less than careful manner, that is a problem.

But then I spose they'd get people complaining they weren't getting widescreen and claiming it makes it poor quality despite them not being suited for widescreen so guess there's no winning really.

Quote Originally Posted by Two-Bit View Post
    people always bring up that WB splash page but forget there are literally at least a dozen(in actuality there are quite a few more) Looney Tunes cartoons that will never again see the light of day
    The censored 11 right? WB did originally plan a DVD collection of the banned cartoons back in 2010 but it seems that they have back cycled. Though some seem to be up on Youtube strangely enough.

Blog Entries

that was ten years ago, those are never coming out now. and there are many other ones in the WB catalog that weren't on that list that will never see release(look up China Jones or Horse Hare).

and the ones you find on YouTube are public domain cartoons

Blog Entries

the Catholic Church bit in Sunday Cruddy Sunday is censored, it's just "the church". Can't remember though was that uncut on the DVD?

though the "they stick all the jerks in tower one" line, as well as Homer's muffled "motherfucker!", are intact in City of New York vs Homer Simpson.

what other moments are often cut? all the typical syndication cuts appear to be intact here.

my cruddy sunday dvd rip has the uncensored catholic church joke so im guessing its just another thing didnee pwus fucked up

fuck disney, just nab the dvds any way you possibly can instead

Blog Entries

people always bring up that WB splash page but forget there are literally at least a dozen(in actuality there are quite a few more) Looney Tunes cartoons that will never again see the light of day, no disclaimer in the world can save them
    WB actually has the censored 11 fully remastered but the DVD is on hold due to lack of sales from their looney tunes DVDs in the past years. That's why they're double dipping the releases. If more people would actually buy them they could remaster every single short in the series. In the original series between 1930-1969, there were more than 1000 short subjects with about 170 of them featuring Bugs Bunny, 155 of them featuring Porky Pig, and 135 of them featuring Daffy Duck.

Also some censored shorts that haven't been restored for DVD are uncensored in their Turner dubbed versions (you have to buy the DVD the short is featured on), Detouring America is a great example of this. In the TV version, they cut out the indian scenes, but in the LaserDisc and Each Dawn I Die DVD, these scenes are intact (both Turner dubbed prints with ending titles hacked off with generic ending card).

Also, wartime cartoon Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips has permanent ban after Japanese-Americans protested its LaserDisc release. Turner/WB recalled all the LaserDiscs and permanently removed the short from airing, at least in the USA.

Blog Entries

Sunday go to meetin' time is on youtube but that short is under copyright. The only three censored 11 in public domain is Hitting the trail for hallelujah land, all this and rabbit stew, and jungle jitters.

Blog Entries

political climate has changed a hell of a lot in ten years, there is no way in blue hell the censored eleven will come out anytime soon, if ever, no matter how well the DVD sets sell. like if they wanted to they could do it through Warner archive, look at that Porky 101 set they put out. WB isn’t stupid, they know the backlash they will get if they release the cartoons as a product that they could profit from.

they should just dump them on the internet and let the copyrights for the cartoons expire, let them fall into public domain. That way those that want to can view them, and WB won’t be making money off of racism. it’s only a handful of cartoons in their catalog they got hundreds of other cartoons they can continue to sell as products and make money off of. Hell unless something changes(coughlobbyingfromdisneycough) that catalog of cartoons is going to start falling into public domain over the next few decades anyways, as will any works from that time period.

Guys the aspect ratio sucks on disney plus! Sign this petition to make Disney change this!

http://chng.it/fc59mbMy

Blog Entries

political climate has changed a hell of a lot in ten years, there is no way in blue hell the censored eleven will come out anytime soon, if ever, no matter how well the DVD sets sell. like if they wanted to they could do it through Warner archive, look at that Porky 101 set they put out. WB isn’t stupid, they know the backlash they will get if they release the cartoons as a product that they could profit from.

they should just dump them on the internet and let the copyrights for the cartoons expire, let them fall into public domain. That way those that want to can view them, and WB won’t be making money off of racism. it’s only a handful of cartoons in their catalog they got hundreds of other cartoons they can continue to sell as products and make money off of. Hell unless something changes(coughlobbyingfromdisneycough) that catalog of cartoons is going to start falling into public domain over the next few decades anyways, as will any works from that time period.
    The copyrights cannot be renewed anyways because all the directors for the shorts are dead. So they will fall into the public domain. However, they need to remaster all the rest of the shorts so we don't lose those shorts. Just hope they don't restore them to death like they did on the Platinum Collection release and do them like they did for the Golden Collection. Another thing is that if shorts have lost ending titles, they need to be corrected. It's not acceptable to put Kit for Cat with the Blue RIbbon ending with original opening title card.

Blog Entries

they are “lost”, that’s the point. Can’t release what they don’t have.

also about your copyright claim tell that to Disney who for years pushed for its earliest films to remain under copyright(which they still are, for now). Thankfully they don’t seem to be pushing the copyright extension act at the moment, but as we get closer to Steamboat Willie definitively falling into public domain(there is already argument that it is, but under current policy it will without question be in public domain on January 1st 2024) don’t be surprised if Disney helps to push to extend the copyrights yet again. its not about “renewing” the copyright. we’ll see what happens though.

Non-Simpsons scare me. Road Rage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Samoht View Post
    Guys the aspect ratio sucks on disney plus! Sign this petition to make Disney change this!

http://chng.it/fc59mbMy
    That's not just a Disney thing. These "HD" versions are also used on Sky One, and I think FOX or Simpsons World in the US.

I'm reading how more people are reacting to how the cropping ruins a lot of the jokes so hopefully Disney will amend that by adding an normal 4:3 fullscreen option. I'm also hearing that despite them having extra material for their content the audio commentaries for the episodes are absent which is surprising (I'm guessing they will add those eventually).

Disney + interface/ease of use is SO much better than SimpsonsWorld's, and it seems to be modeled after Netflix, which I like. That being said hopefully they upload Stark Raving Dad, the commentaries, and the option of 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio for older episodes with some time.

Blog Entries

Stark Raving Dad won’t come back, Matt/Jim/Al don’t want it to, the other two are possible though

Well I'm happy that they will still show episodes on FXX since as of now I cannot use my Xfinity (Comcast) box to stream Disney+. Supposedly they are rivals. I might be able to stream it straight through my tv but it might be too old. It would be nice to get ESPN+ so I can watch other football (as in soccer) matches from around the world.

About the Steamboat Willie copyright. There is no way in hell Disney will let the patent expire. They will get someone in congress to do their bidding and/or grease someone's palms. No one wants to wake up and find a Mickey Mouse head in their bed.

I just hope Disney isn't going to butcher episodes that they feel are inappropriate. Makes me want to buy the remaining DVDs to my collection (seasons 18 & 19). Plus I'm sure there is always a stream or bootleg somewhere. I got a copy of Songs of the South from a guy who knows a guy.

Blog Entries

none of the episodes I’ve seen are edited any more than they were previously. Was told THOH XIX is often edited in the UK, cutting Krusty’s death, Prince’s death, and Nelson’s use of the word “gay”, but all are present on D+.

Blog Entries

and the easiest cheapest solution to stream this if you want to is get a Roku or something, they are like 25 bucks and work great. Bought one the other night for my bedroom tv since the Xbox one is out in the living room.

Aside from 'Stark Raving Dad', do the classic seasons seem otherwise intact and without new censorship? Just a little curious.

Good news! Al Jean confirmed that Disney+ will fix the aspect radio of episodes from season 1 to 20.
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/TheSimpsons?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@TheSimpsons</a> You have been heard, as you should be... <a href="https://t.co/b4RnZVutIe">https://t.co/b4RnZVutIe</a></p>&mdash; Al Jean (@AlJean) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlJean/status/1195516282528862209?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 16, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    SEASON 32 A - RATINGS

I, Carumbus - 5/5 / Podcast News - 4/5
    The Road to Cincinnati - 4/5 / A Springfield Summer Christmas for Christmas - 3/5
    The Dad-Feeling Limited - 5/5 / Wad Goals - 4/5 / Do PizzaBots Dream of Electric Guitar? - 3/5
    Uncut Femmes - 5/5 / Panic on the Streets of Springfield - 3/5 / The Last Barfighter - 5/5

SEASON 32 B - RATINGS

Undercover Burns - 3/5 / Now Museum, Now You Don't - 2/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXXI - 4/5
    The Seven Beer Itch - 1/5 / Three Dreams Denied - 2/5 / Sorry Not Sorry - 4/5
    Diary Queen - 3/5 / Yokel Hero - 1/5
    Manger Things - 2/5 / Burger Kings - 2/5 / Mother and Child Reunion - 4/5 / The Man from G.R.A.M.P.A. - 3/5

Blog Entries

time for a beer

Thread Information