Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ‘The Simpsons’ to Stream Exclusively on Disney+

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

wait did I type that out loud
    Fuck Donald Trump. #NotMyPresident

Because of people accusing Disney of cropping the pre-2009 episodes for Disney+, I point out the truth in yet another Big Bad Wolf vlog...

Quote Originally Posted by Szyslak100 View Post
    Good news! Al Jean confirmed that Disney+ will fix the aspect radio of episodes from season 1 to 20.
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/TheSimpsons?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@TheSimpsons</a> You have been heard, as you should be... <a href="https://t.co/b4RnZVutIe">https://t.co/b4RnZVutIe</a></p>— Al Jean (@AlJean) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlJean/status/1195516282528862209?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 16, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    Nice that they will amend that issue soon.

We presented “The Simpsons” in 16:9 aspect ratio at launch in order to guarantee visual quality and consistency across all 30 seasons
    "Visual quality and consistency"? Seems like they were mostly aiming for conformity by having all the episodes being in widescreen, maybe to appeal to the modern audiences who are used to the 16:9 widescreen with modern TV shows. Sure, it seems they kept the same cropped versions from before but these are the version they have until the update.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Two-Bit View Post
    the Catholic Church bit in Sunday Cruddy Sunday is censored, it's just "the church". Can't remember though was that uncut on the DVD?
    this bit seems like its had a history of being switched out like the location joke in behind the laughter. might not have been consciously a content cut this time and could have just been what was immediately available to disney. sucks though cus it's not nearly as good a joke

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

the Catholic Church bit in Sunday Cruddy Sunday is censored, it's just "the church". Can't remember though was that uncut on the DVD?
    The DVD - at least, my copy, although I do get them when they first come out - has "Catholic church"; they mention in the commentary that Fox got "40,000 E-mails" and they did remove "Catholic" when the episode was first repeated a few months later.

Not the first time a network caved in to the Vatican; in the 1970s, after Maude had an episode where she got an abortion (this was pre-Roe v. Wade, but New York state, where the show takes place, had already legalized abortions on its own), CBS gave a 30-minute block of time (for free, according to one version of the story) to the church for a "rebuttal."

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    "Visual quality and consistency"? Seems like they were mostly aiming for conformity by having all the episodes being in widescreen, maybe to appeal to the modern audiences who are used to the 16:9 widescreen with modern TV shows. Sure, it seems they kept the same cropped versions from before but these are the version they have until the update.
    That, or they didn't want people complaining that there was something wrong with their TVs, or the broadcast, when they saw the blank bars on the left and right, the way they did when they had top and bottom bars when widescreen movies were shown on 4:3 TVs. If you ask me, if this is really a "problem," the solution is to put something - for example, Simpsons logos in a yellow background - in the bars.

Blog Entries

the thing with the "consistency" argument is there are numerous shows, animated and not, that are in their original 4:3 aspect ratio, and a few that join The Simpsons in being cropped and stretched to 16:9. The other two major ones in this category I've seen complaints for are Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers and Goof Troop.

The problem with The Simpsons over those other two though is Simpsons uses visual gags much more frequently than they do, and Disney clearly used The Simpsons as a marquee series to sell the service. Which if you are going to do that at least be sure to present it the way it was intended to be presented.

Blog Entries

It would be nice to have the upscaled versions without cutting bits out. Not just visual gags but a lot of the early seasons seemed to have some carefully composed shots that feel a bit too cramped this way, like every close up is getting in your personal space.
    The upscaling and cleaning I like though. Especially as someone that tends to do draws, it's nice and easy to make out the little things, instead of having really small or blurry quality.

Blog Entries

You know, I read on the news that "Stark Raving Dad" will not be on the Disney+ stream service.

Blog Entries

and if you had read previous posts in this thread you’d know that already

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    That, or they didn't want people complaining that there was something wrong with their TVs, or the broadcast, when they saw the blank bars on the left and right, the way they did when they had top and bottom bars when widescreen movies were shown on 4:3 TVs.
    This ties into what I said about people being used to 16:9 widescreen with TV shows nowadays. There's likely to be annoyance and complaints when putting a 4:3 show with the bars on the side (I'm guessing from mostly the younger generation who never grew up with the old rectangular screen format, which did have a similar problem like you said).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 11-17-2019 at 01:44 AM.

Blog Entries

people like that don't exist. most of disney's tv programming on the service that isn't from this decade is in its native format with no complaints

No to cooties and sisters. Shoskin's Avatar

time for a beer
    Took your advice.
    Origi corner taken quickly.

13. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    people like that don't exist. most of disney's tv programming on the service that isn't from this decade is in its native format with no complaints
    That is true. I was probably exaggerating (I even see the classic Disney shorts being on TV sometimes and they are not cropped, having black bars on the sides). The fact that other material has their original aspect ratio on the service makes it even odder they chose to use the cropped 'Simpsons' episodes.

Non-Simpsons scare me. Road Rage's Avatar

I can assure you that people who dislike not having their screen filled do exist. I remember getting into a discussion - this person watched The Simpsons on Channel 4 instead of Channel 4 HD, because the HD channel broadcast in pillarboxed widescreen, whereas the SD channel broadcast in 4:3. They disliked not being able to stretch the picture to widescreen on their television. Not that the HD channel achieved much for The Simpsons since it was only upscaled, but the higher bitrate resulted in less artifacting.
    Last edited by Road Rage; 11-17-2019 at 04:49 AM.

Blog Entries

It's probably safe to assume people did complain, it's just they're not on here or twitter. I guess it's because those same people also consider something not truly HD if it's not in widescreen.

The cropped Simpsons was probably a matter of saving time. All the upscaled old episodes were on that one marathon iirc and they were probably still lying around for the crew to use on disney+. Maybe lazy but I guess it does make sense to just re-use things when you can, like taking your own shopping bags as opposed to getting a new one at the store... especially since over here they are charged for too.

Blog Entries

the 4:3 episodes were also on the service. that'd be uniquely selective laziness

Blog Entries

Well it could have been exactly that. Don't tend to put that past big companies anymore.

Blog Entries

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Lol apparently the geniuses over at Disney+ decided to remove Grunkle Stan’s fez symbol for no reason, but then accidentally left it in the thumbnails because even they can’t keep track of what they’re pretending to be concerned about this week <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/DisneyMagic?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#DisneyMagic</a> <a href="https://t.co/Qg2x0eAMw3">pic.twitter.com/Qg2x0eAMw3</a></p>&mdash; Alex Hirsch (@_AlexHirsch) <a href="https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/1195204324818685952?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 15, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

hmm

Blog Entries

So selective incompetence isn't a thing Disney's not doing then.

According to something I'd heard:

"After doing a bit more digging, we discovered the fez symbol change previously mentioned did take place in episode 14, “Bottomless Pit.” There are reports that the first symbol was later removed before originally airing in certain countries because it was considered offensive, possibly for its resemblance to the Nation of Islam flag. This would mean that Disney+ had uploaded that version for some reason instead of the original (which is still available to watch on Hulu for the time being, if you’re curious). We’re still waiting on comment from Disney."
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/gravity-fall...lum-1839889801

So yeah, seems Simpsons isn't the only show to get messed with for completely asinine reasons.

I read about that Gravity Falls censorship slightly before it popped up here and it sure is silly and pointless; looks like they didn't even consult with Hirsch about it but just went ahead and did it. I wonder if they have pulled (or eventually will) something like it with 'The Simpsons'.

IMHO the best and the worst episodes of each season (in bold — the best and worst of overall series, upd. 03/08/20):
    1. Moaning Lisa/Some Enchanted Evening 2. Bart vs. Thanksgiving/Itchy & Scratchy & Marge 3. Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington/The Otto Show 4. Homer’s Triple Bypass/Selma’s Choice 5. Secrets of a Successful Marriage/Homer the Vigilante 6. Two Dozen and One Greyhounds/Lisa’s Rival 7. Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily/Homerpalooza 8. My Sister, My Sitter/The Homer They Fall 9. Miracle on Evergreen Terrace/Bart Star 10. Wild Barts Can’t Be Broken/Monty Can’t Buy Me Love 11. Days of Wine and D’oh’ses/Pygmoelian 12. Homer vs. Dignity/New Kids on the Blecch 13. Poppa’s Got a Brand New Badge/Weekend at Burnsie’s 14. Moe Baby Blues/Helter Shelter 15. Fraudcast News/Co-Dependent’s Day 16. Goo Goo Gai Pan/A Star Is Torn 17. Bonfire of the Manatees/Kiss Kiss, Bang Bangalore 18. 24 Minutes/Stop, Or My Dog Will Shoot! 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Husbands and Knives 20. Coming to Homerica/Four Great Women and a Manicure 21. The Squirt and the Whale/Treehouse of Horror XX 22. The Blue and the Gray/Elementary School Musical 23. A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again/Moe Goes from Rags to Riches 24. Hardly Kirk-ing/Gorgeous Grampa 25. Brick Like Me/What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police/Treehouse of Horror XXV 27. Halloween of Horror/Treehouse of Horror XXVI 28. 22 for 30/Havana Wild Weekend 29. Flanders’ Ladder/Springfield Splendor 30. Baby You Can’t Drive My Car/The Clown Stays in the Picture 31. TBA/TBA
    The Simpsons season ratings:
    1 > 2 > 4 > 7 > 3 > 6 > 8 > 5 > 27 > 21 > 9 > 20 > 25 > 17 > 29 > 10 > 12 > 15 > 26 > 24 > 13 > 18 > 14 > 19 > 28 > 16 > 30 > 23 > 11 > 22

I think that thoughts may differ, because so many people, so many opinions.

Blog Entries

Completely insane and disrespectful that you have to actively opt into changing the format in order to view the show the way the artists intended it to be viewed

I thought it was just a matter of uploading Simpsons.7G01.Some.Enchanted.Evening.480p.CorrectAspectRatio .mp4 to the right folder but according to Variety they had to reconfigure their entire technical architecture which seems bonkers

Also this:

They're still the same "remasters" by Lowry, just now in the right aspect ratio. But they still are overcleaned, blurring features and motion--and look like shit.
    I need to figure out how to burn my dvds

Stonecutter The Abominable Dr. Lenny's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Anybody know when season 31 will get here?

25. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sandurt

Quote Originally Posted by The Abominable Dr. Lenny View Post
    Anybody know when season 31 will get here?
    Probably sometime in September. You use Disney+ to watch Simpsons?

EDIT: 100th post! Woo-hoo!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sandurt View Post
    Probably sometime in September. You use Disney+ to watch Simpsons?

EDIT: 100th post! Woo-hoo!
    Yup, watched 31 on FOX now through a roku glitch that lets you watch free.

28. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sandurt

Quote Originally Posted by The Abominable Dr. Lenny View Post
    Yup, watched 31 on FOX now through a roku glitch that lets you watch free.
    Nice I recommend the DVDS for commentaries deleted scenes feauterettes art work and extras and many more. Do you ever plan on getting them cause they are amazing imo so much stuff on the DVDS and the easter eggs.
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content C
    Go Big Or Go Homer B-
    The Fat Blue Line B
    Treehouse Of Horror XXX C+
    Gorillas On The Mast C+
    Marge The Lumberjill C-
    Livin La Pruda Vida A-
    Thanksgiving Of Horror A
    Bobby Its Cold Outside B
    Hail To The Teeth B-
    The Miseducation Of Lisa C+
    Frinkcoin B-
    Bart The Bad Guy B
    Screenless B-
    Better Off Ned D+
    Highway To Well B+
    Warrin Priest B+
    Warrin Priest Part 2 B-
    The Hateful Eight Year Olds B
    Way Of The Dog B+

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sandurt View Post
    Nice I recommend the DVDS for commentaries deleted scenes feauterettes art work and extras and many more. Do you ever plan on getting them cause they are amazing imo so much stuff on the DVDS and the easter eggs.
    Definitely plan on getting the DVDs somewhere down the line.

31. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sandurt

Blog Entries

I've got the DVD's. Anyway, Disney Plus won't be any use to me as I have no interest in shelling out money every month when I already have Netflix.

Quote Originally Posted by Trab Pu Kcip View Post
    I've got the DVD's. Anyway, Disney Plus won't be any use to me as I have no interest in shelling out money every month when I already have Netflix.
    Yes exactly especially for 21-30? No way I would rather just watch the first 20 (I watch these the most anyways) seasons any day. I already have Hulu and Netflix

Blog Entries

Why is Lisa The Simpson listed as season 9, episode 3?

Thread Information