Thread: Memories of Syndication

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Memories of Syndication

Anybody here who grew up in the 80s-90s and even early 2000s remembers that before the DVD's were a thing the only way to catch old episodes was in syndication. I was somewhat privileged in this field as I lived in Toronto and had cable. So you could catch the show several times throughout the day.

5:00 on CBC
    6 (later 6:30) on CFMT/Omni 1
    7:30 on Fox Buffalo (until 1999)
    9 o clock on Teletoon (later Comedy Network)
    10 on CFMT/Omni
    11 on Fox Buffalo

so yeah even when my bed time was early I was able to catch 4 episodes a day. They didn't do episodes selectively like today (where they skip over Halloween episodes and A Star is Burns) and they'd just run it through, so years before the DVD's came out I was able to sort of nail down the order of every episode. Catching a treehouse of horror was always a treat. The memory serves to remind me how much i hate the post-V openings and think they should have kept the graveyard opening for the entire run

So what memories do you hold of the Simpsons airing in Syndication in your region?

Non-Simpsons scare me. Road Rage's Avatar

I remember being a little annoyed about the censorship on Channel 4. There wasn't much of it, but I distinctly remember this scene being cut. It had aired previously uncut, but for some reason they then cut it, and it was painfully obvious. Maybe knife games were a craze at the time and they didn't want to encourage anyone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Road Rage View Post
    I remember being a little annoyed about the censorship on Channel 4. There wasn't much of it, but I distinctly remember this scene being cut. It had aired previously uncut, but for some reason they then cut it, and it was painfully obvious. Maybe knife games were a craze at the time and they didn't want to encourage anyone.

Ah UK? yeah we didn't get a lot of censorship, Canada's good like that. Most movies aired after a certain time of night had the swearing, violence and nudity intact on basic cable. But syndication did cut Homer's moan of relief in The City of New York vs Homer Simpson short.

also worth noting that the syndicated version of Treehouse V cut out the whole outer limits segment and jumped straight from Marges opening/the old black and white footage to the graveyard opening.

Mm, UK. We have the watershed at 9PM (with any extreme content generally being postponed to at least 10PM). I think some episodes were restricted to a later time slot, but I didn't pay much attention and no longer watch television. A lot of the cuts aren't so much because of Ofcom's demands (though that it part of it - what counts as unsuitable content can be a matter of opinion in some cases), but rather each channel's personal standpoints on matters. Heck, it even depends on the individual making the cuts. It was news-worthy when Channel 4 cut the word "gay" from The Simpsons , though that was a one-off and very obviously a mistake with how much gayness The Simpsons has featured.

You mentioned Homer relieving himself was cut... same here in the UK for some airings (probably outdated now). I don't have much to say about that.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

When I was a child they aired the reruns on 2 different local stations 1 channel aired 2 episodes in order around 5pm the other channel aired 4 random episodes 2 at 7pm and 2 episodes 10:30pm.

Ohh, that reminds me. On Channel 4 I think they aired the episodes in a largely random order. Halloween/Christmas episodes were restricted to the correct time of year. Before an episode, the channel guy would say something about the episode so you know what you're watching. He'd often comment when it was a Season 1 episode that the Simpsons look a bit different than usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Bega Jr. View Post
    When I was a child they aired the reruns on 2 different local stations 1 channel aired 2 episodes in order around 5pm the other channel aired 4 random episodes 2 at 7pm and 2 episodes 10:30pm.
    In the late '90s, one of my local stations used to show an episode or two just after the time when I got home from school (so probably around 4:30-5). I remember watching those reruns almost every weekday for a while, maybe throughout most of seventh and eighth grade.

They seemed to show a lot of episodes from the first three seasons, and they may not have shown any from beyond season 4 or 5.
    Last edited by Man; 05-02-2019 at 10:45 PM.

Blog Entries

Syndication in Canada usually kept surprisingly up to date at least in my area. Usually it would go up to about two seasons before what was currently airing (for example when season 11 was airing syndication showed seasons 1-9)

I have fond memories of watching reruns from 8-9pm just before I went to bed from ages 6-8 (1999-2001) and then later in the afternoons after school ended.

Thread Information