Thread: The unaired Treehouse of Horror III

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

The unaired Treehouse of Horror III

Recently I discovered that treehouse of horror 3 had an unaired version that apparently was colored weird and didn't do well with test audiences, necessitating the writing team to come up with what they referred to as a "complete overhaul"

Besides this I can't find any new information on it, but I can't help but speculate as to how different the episode actually was. Was it the same episode just animated and written differently? does it contain different stories and wraparounds? somehow I am endlessly intrigued by the idea that one of the best treehouse episodes in the series has a potentially different version floating around somewhere unless it was destroyed.

anybody else know anything about this besides the very limited information I gathered? Google yields no leads.

I love boobies! Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Where did you hear this?
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

Still can't ninja BloodySimpsonChibi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Is this like another Dead Bart or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    I'd imagine patting Lisa on the head would sting, damn kids with their spiky heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Blowmer View Post
    Recently I discovered that treehouse of horror 3 had an unaired version that apparently was colored weird and didn't do well with test audiences, necessitating the writing team to come up with what they referred to as a "complete overhaul"

Besides this I can't find any new information on it, but I can't help but speculate as to how different the episode actually was. Was it the same episode just animated and written differently? does it contain different stories and wraparounds? somehow I am endlessly intrigued by the idea that one of the best treehouse episodes in the series has a potentially different version floating around somewhere unless it was destroyed.

anybody else know anything about this besides the very limited information I gathered? Google yields no leads.
    for a second there I thought you said to GOOGLE yields no leads
    Simpsons Comics 1993-2018

Non-Simpsons scare me. Road Rage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    This episode originally encountered trouble when the color version came back from South Korea. With only six weeks to the airdate, the writers made almost one hundred line changes, a very rare occurrence. It was decided to completely overhaul the episode after a poorly received screening with the writing staff.
    Hmm. The commentary track might shed a little more light on it, but considering the source of that is the commentary track I'm not sure there's much more to know. I wouldn't lose sleep over this.

Getting carried away on you Venomrabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Google can be amazingly unhelpful. Half the time you have to stick things with + tags or in quotes so it won't just ignore the most important bits and give a non answer if anything at all.

Either way, that's kinda interesting. Wonder if the choice of segments was different or it was just an overhaul with those ideas. Pretty neat stuff, I have a real weakness for pre-production and production stuff.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Venomrabbit View Post
    Google can .

I have a real weakness for pre-production and production stuff.
    Yeah same. Especially since the Simpsons is highly secretive with cut content and unaired/unmade episodes

the Simpsons is highly secretive with cut content and unaired/unmade episodes
    There's loads of deleted scenes on the DVDs. It doesn't come across as secretive. No episodes have been produced any further than writing the scripts that didn't air - that would be a big waste of money. Some stuff about scrapped ideas has been revealed with time.

9. Thumbs Up To This Post by: MDB

Still can't ninja BloodySimpsonChibi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Homer Privately Tells Bart He Loves Him Best

Homer's Sexual Fantasy

The Naked & The Ned

Springfield Donates White House Christmas Tree

Am I the only one who wants to know the plot of these episodes?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Road Rage View Post
    No episodes have been produced any further than writing the scripts that didn't air - that would be a big waste of money. Some stuff about scrapped ideas has been revealed with time.
    I mean that we know of anyway. Deleted Scenes yeah, but for all we know they could have some shelved episodes hidden somewhere. Just like the aforementioned treehouse 3..unless they got rid of it via catapult

for all we know they could have some shelved episodes hidden somewhere. Just like the aforementioned treehouse 3..unless they got rid of it via catapult
    The footage likely got lost. It won't have been stored digitally. I'm actually surprised the cut "Some Enchanted Evening" pilot animation got released on the DVDs.

Blog Entries

The footage likely got lost. It won't have been stored digitally. I'm actually surprised the cut "Some Enchanted Evening" pilot animation got released on the DVDs.
    Well no not digitally but they could still have the reel or tape or whatever in a vault somewhere

Hell for all we know there could be at least one unaired episode completed somewhere.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

I wouldn't be surprised if David Silverman had saved the early "Some Enchanted Evening" animation. He showed quite a few clips not otherwise available (some of which would appear in the 168th Episode Spectacular) in his 1995 touring show.

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Road Rage

Your Neighborhood Average Joe Purpleberries's Avatar

I found the fact that THOH III had to have some overhauls to be interesting. I don't think a Simpsons episode has had to have some major overhauls with the exception of the early season one material(which was plagued by some animation issues) and a couple of other episodes.

Thread Information