Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Episodes that should have been the finale?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

“Pretension” by Calvin Klein ataeaf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Episodes that should have been the finale?

While I don't necessarily think they SHOULD have been finales, Summer of 4'2" and You Only Move Twice certainly feel like finales to the show.
    ah (as in apple)-tuh-eef

Blog Entries

I’ve see a lot of people say Holidays of Future Passed would’ve made a good finale, but I prefered Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind. As for classic episodes, Duffless also seemed like one that could work.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

who shot mr burns, part 1..

but really, part 2 would have been a good ending.

Holidays of Christmas past should have been a great finale.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

I think about Summer of 4 Ft. 2 too. The last scene really gave me the feel that it could have been the finale. Plus, the end of summer is somehow the symbol of the end of a cycle (and the beginning of another one), so it would have been coherent.

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

So is the question what point in the series the finale should've been or just a single episode theoretically put anywhere in the series?

If it's the former I think I'd say 'Summer Of 4 Ft. 2' (not only one of my favoites but it really does have a great ending feel to it; it also has that great capper with the hermit crab and Beach Boys' "All Summer Long" playing) but I'd also be cool with 'The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase' as it would be a fun and unusual way to end the series (and then the greats of season 8 wouldn't be neglected, though too bad about the later good ones).

If it's the latter I'd pick an episode with the family as a unit and a fair bit of emotion mixed with the humor, of which 'Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily' is maybe the first one that comes to mind; just the ending with the family, reunited after the kids had been separated from Homer & Marge, walking off into the sunset while laughing about something silly ("Ol' painty-can Ned") feels like a perfect finale.

Birthplace of the Flaming Moe Welcome to Moe's's Avatar

Well I am glad The Simpsons at least reached their 30th season for many reasons including the accolades that come with it of our favourite show however in regards to the questions there's some great answers here which I would agree with "You Only Move Twice" would have been a good one as mentioned however I do feel that something along the lines of "22 short films about Springfield" could have been a good one, specially if they put a section in at the end this kind of episode could work for a finale I reckon.

I also would like to see a Christmas type episode too as I feel that could really work, specially with "Simpsons Roasting" launching the show.

'"Uh, Hugh Jass! D'oh, somebody check the men's room for a Hugh Jass"

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

I've been in the Holidays of Future Passed camp ever since it aired. And, if they can't (or are unable due to circumstance) come up with anything better, I still feel like it's the episode that should be aired on series finale night moreso than any other.
    SEASON 31 RANKINGS
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 2/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2.5/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3.5/5

Getting carried away on you Venomrabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Honestly, don't think any of them do. Future-Passed would have been a bleak note, and most of the others don't really feel 'big' enough to be finale material. I mean for something that's ran so long, feels like it'd have to be something really different and actually made with a finale in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Venomrabbit View Post
    Honestly, don't think any of them do. Future-Passed would have been a bleak note, and most of the others don't really feel 'big' enough to be finale material. I mean for something that's ran so long, feels like it'd have to be something really different and actually made with a finale in mind.
    And should be written by a writer from the show's classic era. Watch them give it to Koh, though.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would've gone with "Future Passed", but if there's an actual 'final' episode, make a new Ullman short that takes place just before "Goodnight".
    Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

I tried watching a new episode the Simpsons, but I realized the show hit a new low, like a brand new, underground parking structure of sadness.

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: TenEight

Quote Originally Posted by Rutherford View Post
    And should be written by a writer from the show's classic era. Watch them give it to Koh, though.
    Given how the "classic era" writers like Martin, Stern and Mirkin have fared in recent stints, I have my doubts as to whether they'd be up to such a task having been so far removed from the show for so long.

Personally, I think Groening and Jean should co-write the final script.

Blog Entries

I've always felt that Lisa The Simpson would have made for a great finale, it's fitting as it's the final episode penned within the production run of the final classic season, but I also enjoy how it brings the experimental lens of the season back to the family to dabble in some difficult questions for Lisa. It does get a little too wacky perhaps, you could argue The Simpsons Gene concept from the outset down to the resolution for being a bit too goofy, it echoes a slight Star Wars Episode One quality perhaps in diluting by over-explaining, but it would be dishonest I think to say that's not purwly indicative both of the cracks beginning to show in s8 and the rickety nature of it's experiments.

There are episodes I enjoy beyond it, but rarely enough that I think anything could have more suitably shut the doors on the series having said everything most vital that they needed to.

Probably an unpopular opinion but while 'Holidays of Future Passed' is a great modern episode and all, but I still don't know if I'd really like a future episode as the final one (partially since they are usually presented as possible futures due to some stuff getting changed around in each one, even with the recent ones keeping some things), even with said episode having some really good character stuff and emotional moments.

I'd rather have the final episode be a more normal one set in the present which would not only be more in line with how the series began with a more grounded and less fantastical fantasy tone but as for future episodes goes 'Passed' is probably the best choice of those.

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    Probably an unpopular opinion but while 'Holidays of Future Passed' is a great modern episode and all, but I still don't know if I'd really like a future episode as the final one (partially since they are usually presented as possible futures due to some stuff getting changed around in each one). I'd rather have the final episode be set in the present which would also give it a more grounded and less fantastical tone (with how exaggerated much of the future stuff gets).
    Yesssss, agree with this 100%!!! The final episode HAS to be a present episode without doubt, like you say it makes it more grounded and that's one of the things I love about The Simpsons.

Although it's an animated show, I prefer it to feel real and have that realism with it, it's much better. There's a ton of cartoons out there which don't (and that's fine) but the fact The Simpsons are more relatable and grounded etc is what makes them very special and a million times ahead of the rest.

Completely agree with this.

Getting carried away on you Venomrabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah I think that's part of why I'm against Future Passed as a finale kind of episode too. Especially when certain bits like Bart's whole situation would have made things feel really sour as an end. I guess I'm not 100% opposed to it ending in the future in some way but it'd really need to be something more hopeful for everyone.

I'll just say this, it would have been really hilarious if Homer's Enemy had been the last episode.

Blog Entries

I don't think a single episode should be the finale, but rather a new movie or even a whole season that wraps up the arcs of every character that has been significant to the show (characters like Moe, Krusty, Skinner, Apu, Sideshow Bob etc). I don't really think that there are any episodes yet that would make a good finale. Holidays of Future Passed is a good pick as it continues the stories of all the Simpson kids and it brings the family back together at the end, but I would rather see more to their future lifes where they don't seem so unhappy. Behind the Laughter could also work as a finale where the Simpsons break the first wall, talk about their experiences on the show and how much of an influence the show had over the years. Though I would rather see this as an ''extra'' episode that comes after the finale.
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Halloween of Horror/Every Man's Dream 28: There Will Be Buds/Moho House 29: Gone Boy/Throw Grampa from the Dane

20. Thumbs Up To This Post by: TenEight

A Tale of Two Springfields could have been the finale.

Quote Originally Posted by BartArt View Post
    A Tale of Two Springfields could have been the finale.
    Oh God no. I mean, ending the series on typical headache-inducing Scully episode with a stupid plot and with Homer being at his most jerkassy and annoying? Good lord.

For the record, while I do feel that Holidays of Future Passed is the best "series finale candidate" episode we've had thus far, I will echo the sentiments of many of you that I would prefer a defined finale that's set in the show's present chronological timeline for proper closure.

I'm just not at all convinced we're going to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    For the record, while I do feel that Holidays of Future Passed is the best "series finale candidate" episode we've had thus far, I will echo the sentiments of many of you that I would prefer a defined finale that's set in the show's present chronological timeline for proper closure.

I know, I hope we do. The show really need to confirm this for us, they don't have to give anything away but at least let us know they have something ready or something along those lines.

It's been something the fans have been worried for for a long time so it would be nice of them to confirm this at least

25. Thumbs Up To This Post by: cam

"Behind the Laughter" always seemed like a good ending point for the series. Yes the show had declined tremendously by that point but I still think the Scully years are worthwhile. Just put it at the end of season 12 instead and stop the Jean years from ever existing.

If you wanna retain the perfection of the classic years then "The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson" is a good end point. It always seemed like the end of an era and was the last phenomenal episode of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangdos View Post
    Oh God no. I mean, ending the series on typical headache-inducing Scully episode with a stupid plot and with Homer being at his most jerkassy and annoying? Good lord.
    This episode isn't stupider than The Simpsons Movie, actually. A cliché is finally the best way to end the show... I shall not insist on ''A Tale of Two Springfields'' because there's a plenty of episodes to draw a line. But my way would've worked, too - especially regarding a failed spin-off series... ''22 Short Films About Springfield'' proves it.

Probably an unpopular opinion but while 'Holidays of Future Passed' is a great modern episode and all, but I still don't know if I'd really like a future episode as the final one (partially since they are usually presented as possible futures due to some stuff getting changed around in each one, even with the recent ones keeping some things), even with said episode having some really good character stuff and emotional moments.

I'd rather have the final episode be a more normal one set in the present which would not only be more in line with how the series began with a more grounded and less fantastical fantasy tone but as for future episodes goes 'Passed' is probably the best choice of those.
    The only episode that code be a episode from the future for me is Barthood. It s only the time I can think of someone telling Bart to stop feeling sorry for yourself (something Lisa does too) and that he has real artistic talent. I also think it had to come from Lisa herself as she has always been treated ask the golden child.
    "Bart, a woman is like beer. They look good, they smell good, and you’d step over your own mother just to get one!"

29. Thumbs Up To This Post by: TenEight

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post

Unless Homer blows up Springfield... tap tap tap.

Just woke up and this is the first question I see. But maybe Homer's Enemy could e the last episode. It comes down tomthe Simple fact that Frank Grimes see Homer as who he is and notices that everyone is an enabler. He notices basically that the city is full of mostly idiots, except for the few. Grimes having to save Homer from doing something as stupid as almost drinking a bottle of acid, that shouldn't have been there in the first place, then getting in trouble for it is Homer in a nutshell. Him calling out Homer is something no one has ever done. Grimes even has problems with the family, being more successful than him. The Coup de grâce him killing himself on exposed wires after trying to sabotage Homer and his, "Change the channel Marge," is a fitting end to how Homer gets by in life.

32. Thumbs Up To This Post by: TenEight

Quote Originally Posted by Shoskin View Post
    The only episode that code be a episode from the future for me is Barthood. It s only the time I can think of someone telling Bart to stop feeling sorry for yourself (something Lisa does too) and that he has real artistic talent. I also think it had to come from Lisa herself as she has always been treated ask the golden child.
    'Barthood' is a great call for a suitable future episode to have ended with, maybe even more than 'Passed'. Can't believe I forgot about it completely as I usually count it as one of the standout HD era episodes (I guess probably as I tried to think of episodes outside of the future-themed bracket).

It does takes a very good grounded approach without gettingall too fantastical and science-fictiony (has a very low amount of that if I recall correctly), has a good concept with the 'Boyhood' format of showing Bart throughout the years and a good conflict both for him and even Lisa & with him ending up getting good use of his creative talent is a big plus. I wonder why it doesn't come up more often as a choice.

34. Thumbs Up To This Post by: TenEight

'Barthood' is a great call for a suitable future episode to have ended with, maybe even more than 'Passed'. Can't believe I forgot about it completely as I usually count it as one of the standout HD era episodes (I guess probably as I tried to think of episodes outside of the future-themed bracket).

It does takes a very good grounded approach without gettingall too fantastical and science-fictiony (has a very low amount of that if I recall correctly), has a good concept with the 'Boyhood' format of showing Bart throughout the years and a good conflict both for him and even Lisa & with him ending up getting good use of his creative talent is a big plus. I wonder why it doesn't come up more often as a choice.
    I totally agree, especially from Marge who always wanted to be an artist. Bart definitely has Homer traits but in many aspects is like Marge. Bart thing is being forced to do art like What to Expect When Bart's Expecting

Its opposite for Lisa. Lisa is a rebel rouser like Homer. I don't always agree with the way they write her as it's more the writers than the character but both Homer and her are very passionate when it comes down to something they really believe in.

Speaking about What to Expect When Bart's Expecting, I have a classmate from high school and college (before he transferred to an art school) and he had to do something abstract or crap like that (his words). He basically came up with putting canvas down and stepping on ketchup and mustard packets. The professor loved it but to him it was crap. He now works at Pixar making movies.

Blog Entries

Simpsons Spin-off Showcase because it's about a tv show being stretched to its creative breaking point and the complete lack of any emotional payoff and rejection of sentimentality would have made it more polarizing than, say, the seinfeld finale.

Thread Information