Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Episodes that should have been the finale?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Holiday of Future Passed. Enough said. No modern episodes has reached this quality since then, besides Brick Like Me.
    Simpsons: 4 > 6 = 7 > 5 > 3 > 8 > 2 > 14 > 15 > 13 = 10 > 9 > 16 > 20 > 1 > 24 = 21 > 26 > 22 = 25 > 23 > 19 = 27 > 18 = 28 > 12 > 11 > 17 = 29

Family Guy: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 5 = 6 > 15 > 16 > 10 > 14 > > 7 = 11 = 9 > 8 > 12 = 13

American Dad: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 6 > 5 > 8 > 9 > 7 = 11 > 10 > 13 (so far) > 12

The Cleveland Show: 2 > 1 > 4 > 3

Futurama: 5 > 4 = 1 > 2 = 3 > 7 > 6

Rick and Morty: 2 > 1 > 3

Lisa's substitute would have been a good episode. I like how it ends with Homer helping all 3 of his kids then going upstairs to snoo snoo Marge.
    Pokemon Moon Friend Code 5473-2104-2310
    Looking for shiny, legendary, and mythical. Got shiny Sandshrew (Alola)
    Have various starters, zorua, can breed many pokemon.
    Current egg move hatching: Tyrunt with fire fang

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fas1997 View Post
    Holiday of Future Passed. Enough said. No modern episodes has reached this quality since then, besides Brick Like Me.
    Halloween Of Horror? Barthood? Gone Boy? King Leer?

I definitely think that there's several episodes that came afterwards that are just as eligible if not much more so (I'd even pick any of the abeformentioned episodes before 'Brick Like Me', which is a pretty good one, gimmicky as it is).

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Homer View Post
    Simpsons Spin-off Showcase because it's about a tv show being stretched to its creative breaking point and the complete lack of any emotional payoff and rejection of sentimentality would have made it more polarizing than, say, the seinfeld finale.

If we're looking at it that way then I think that 'Behind The Laughter' would be an good alternative.

Junior Camper Treehouse of Spoopy's Avatar

I’m not even sure if I agree with them or not, but the suggestions of Homer’s Enemy and The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase are certainly both intriguingly cynical suggestions.
    nohomers.net make Treehouse of Spoopy go crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias099 View Post
    "Behind the Laughter" always seemed like a good ending point for the series. Yes the show had declined tremendously by that point but I still think the Scully years are worthwhile. Just put it at the end of season 12 instead and stop the Jean years from ever existing.
    Same—but then have Simpsons Tall Tales be a one-off special later on.

Keeping Behind the Laughter where it is and ending with season 11 would also be all right.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

By the way, I didn't know what you meant when you asked for a pick of an episode that should have been the finale. I said Summer of 4 ft. 2 in case you talked about an episode that could have been the finale, by the fact how much it gives me the feel that this is an episode that could be considered as a conclusion for the show if placed elsewhere (and season 8 is my favorite season so it would have been a loss if it wasn't made in my opinion). But if you talked about the episode that should have been the last stop of the show, with nothing else afterwards, then I don't know what to pick.

I do not want to see the show end, but I think any of the episodes that are either set in or show a glimpse of the future would have made logical conclusions to the show.

Either Days of Future Passed or Barthood. I think the series finale should be a future episode but not as a vision of the future like other episodes, an episode actually set in the future. Personally it would be the best choice for me as it would finally have the story advance properly and finally have the characters grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankbags View Post
    who shot mr burns, part 1..
    I know this was the season 6 finale, but I have seen a large influx of people suggesting that the Season 5 finale would have made the best series finale. Just thought I would put that out there.

Blog Entries

In terms of where it should have ended? Being a snob who only enjoys seasons 1-9 and tolerates 10-13 it's hard to decide. Holidays of future past feels like a finale because it almost was.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutherford View Post
    And should be written by a writer from the show's classic era.
    Not necessarily. While it would be a nice touch (I would really like to see Conan have some input if they ever decide to cancel the show). It is not a must by any means, in my opinion.

Junior Camper

Bart The Mother, as it is the final episode for Phil Hartman, has a really masterful blend of comedy and seriousness, shows a softer side to Bart without making him seem too childish, and is just a beautiful, heartwarming episode which I haven't seen the likes of since.

13. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Kangdos

Quote Originally Posted by Commodus View Post
    Bart The Mother, as it is the final episode for Phil Hartman, has a really masterful blend of comedy and seriousness, shows a softer side to Bart without making him seem too childish, and is just a beautiful, heartwarming episode which I haven't seen the likes of since.
    I agree. To me, Bart the Mother is probably the last classic episode.

Quote Originally Posted by foose View Post
    It does get a little too wacky perhaps, you could argue The Simpsons Gene concept from the outset down to the resolution for being a bit too goofy
    I think it would be a stretch to say that. A huge part of the premise of the show is wackiness and goofiness.

Your Neighborhood Average Joe Purpleberries's Avatar

I'd probably say Holidays of Future Passed like most people here. It's surprisingly poignant at times and humorous throughout. It probably would have made for a solid finale.

Kwik-E-Mart Gougers' enforcer Captain Jones's Avatar

I like You Only Move Twice and Lisa The Simpson suggestions I read here.
    Lisa’s Sax would make a good finale, for its ending, a Simpsons clip while she plays “Baker Street”

Already been more or less said but I'd go with a double bill of Homer's Enemy and Spin-Off Showcase. The penultimate line of Homer's Enemy is literally "change the channel Marge" after a whole episode deconstructing the central concept of the show. Then make fun of any possible spin-offs and fade into full on legend status.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mirkin, 1995
    I think at the end of the eighth season, we'll all have to sit down, make sure the show is still fresh. Make sure that's it's not repeating itself or falling into a formula and you know...It's very possible that we'll still have energy after eight seasons, but hopefully it will always be a decision of quality, to make sure we are not lowering the quality just to make a little bit more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Gran2 View Post
    Already been more or less said but I'd go with a double bill of Homer's Enemy and Spin-Off Showcase. The penultimate line of Homer's Enemy is literally "change the channel Marge" after a whole episode deconstructing the central concept of the show. Then make fun of any possible spin-offs and fade into full on legend status.
    That also brings Homer vs. Lisa and the 8th Commandment. Homer cutting the wire and the TV screen going static would make a good finale.
    But of course this episode would had to be done seven or eight seasons later.

Your Neighborhood Average Joe Purpleberries's Avatar

No need to quote a post above btw

Alright, sorry.
    And I almost answered that quoting you.

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    (partially since they are usually presented as possible futures due to some stuff getting changed around in each one, even with the recent ones keeping some things)
    I realize you said "partially", but a lot of the series is presented in an alternate timeline type manner. However, you make a good point in that the last episode should be as close to the original universe as possible simply to have at least one loose end tied up.

-"Behind the Laughter" is my top choice, because it is not only the finale of the worst season of the series up to that point, but it came out in early 2000. By this time, The Simpsons was beginning its second decade and it was already finished as a comedy show. New shows that were inspired/influenced by it were getting the attention, and there was nothing left for it to say or do. Having an episode where they completely become self-aware, poke fun at their declining quality and present the Simpson family as celebrities past their prime would have been a great way to end it all. In a perfect world, this is my series finale.

-"Homer's Enemy" would have been a great finale just because of how much it deconstructed The Simpsons and Homer's character. It probably would be really controversial to end the series on, but I just think the concept of someone entering the Simpsons universe and realizing that nothing about it makes sense would have been a great way to go out with a bang. This was also near the end of season eight, which was the last time the show was consistently good.

-"Lisa the Simpson," because it was the last episode with Bill Oakley & Josh Weinstein as showrunners, so it was officially the end of the classic era. "The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson" also somewhat feels like this, so it could have been the finale.

-The Simpsons Movie. I just feel like you can't go any bigger as a television series than with a feature film. At this point, it was the last major thing that The Simpsons hadn't done yet. The stars were aligned here. 2007 marked the 20th anniversary since the first TV appearance of the Simpson family. They had reached 400 episodes a few months ago. The movie was written almost entirely by writers from the classic era, with their all-time best director (David Silverman) overseeing the movie. And it was one of the last times that all eyes were on the show. Quality aside, the movie would have been one of the best ways to say goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by Venomrabbit View Post
    but it'd really need to be something more hopeful for everyone.
    I disagree. If we are going for grounded in reality, then a non-happy ending has to remain on the table or definitely happen to at least one person. They don't have to be dead or anything, but I do not think it would be a good ending if just restored the status-quo like every other episode.

Homer's Enemy or Behind the laughter. Homer's Enemy, while brilliant from a comedic standpoint, acknowledged how absurd Homer's character had become. Behind the Laughter acknowledged how absurd the whole show had become. Plus season 11 was frankly awful and Futurama and Family Guy seemed poised to replace the Simpsons on the fox network at the time. So, that would have been a pretty good time to end. But Fox had to run it further to the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangdos View Post
    I'll just say this, it would have been really hilarious if Homer's Enemy had been the last episode.
    I agree, but at the same time Grimes would have been introduced and killed off in the same episode. It wouldn't really be like he was a big rival of Homer's.

In addition to a few that have already been suggested, I'd say Flanders' Ladder which I think is an underrated gem.

Hercules Rockefeller

Quote Originally Posted by bboynexus View Post
    In addition to a few that have already been suggested, I'd say Flanders' Ladder which I think is an underrated gem.
    It's way overrated on IMDB, but otherwise it is really underrated. There is this one YouTube commenter who goes on bad Simpsons episodes-related videos or reviews of that episode talking about how it is the worst episode ever just because of Lisa's behavior in the 1st act.

And in all of that guy's comments he puts the time he posted them at the end for no reason.
    Best and Worst Episode per Season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish/Bart's Dog Gets an 'F' 3: Bart the Murderer/Saturdays of Thunder 4: Homer the Heretic/So Its Come To This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Lady Bouvier's Lover 6: Homie the Clown/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Raging Abe Simpson and his Grumbling Grandson in " The Curse of the Flying Hellfish"/Homerpalooza 8: The Springfield Files/The Old Man and the Lisa 9: The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson/Miracle on Evergreen Terrace 10: Mayored to the Mob/Homer Simpson in: Kidney Trouble 11: Grift of the Magi/Eight Misbehavin' 12: Trilogy of Error/I'm Goin' to Praiseland 13: The Blunder Years/The Lastest Gun in the West 14: Moe Baby Blues/The Strong Arms of the Ma 15: Fraudcast News/Co-Dependent's Day 16: The Heartbroke Kid/Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story/The Bonfire of the Manatees 18: The Mook, The Chef, The Wife, and Her Homer/The Boys of Bummer 19: Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Husbands and Knives 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Lisa the Drama Queen 21: The Squirt and the Whale/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fight Before Christmas 23: The Book Job/Lisa Goes Gaga 24: The Saga of Carl/Love is a Many-Splintered Thing 25: Brick Like Me/What to Expect When Bart's Expecting 26: Sky Police/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Barthood/Every Man's Dream 28: 22 for 30/The Caper Chase 29: Flanders' Ladder/Singin' in the Lane 30: Woo-hoo Dunnit?/I Want You (She's So Heavy)

Thread Information