FXX is showing a whole night of baseball themed episodes or episodes with baseball in them for opening day which got me thinking of all the sport episodes over the years. Below is mine, which one is your favorite?

My choice is Homer at the Bat. Some of it has to do with the players that were in the episode played when I was in junior high, Ozzie Smith being one if my favorite players of all time. Four of those players are in the Hall of Fame: Wade Boggs, Ken Griffey Jr., Ozzie Smith, and of course Homer Simpson. But it's not all about the players, it's the jokes that are rampant through the whole episode. Carl with his enchanted jock strap. Bart and Lisa yelling, "Darryl, Darryl," which actually happened him during games. Homer running under a tree with a piece of sheet metal (a totally a Homer type move). The guy getting hit in the head with the baseball in the outfield stands when Homer hits his game winning homerun and the slow motion reaction replay when watching it at home. John Swartzwelder wrote a great scri.

If you never watched the episode with commentary, it's a must. The way they talk about certain players and how it was to deal with them. Canseco, who basically acted like Canseco (an ass). Don Mattingly, who loved the idea especially when he heard he got to make a wise crack about George Steinbrenner about his hair. I real life, his hair got him in trouble with the Yankees.

John Swartzwelder wrote a great script and this had some great quotes from everyone.

"Wow, it's like a party in my mouth. And everyone's invited." (Yes, it was said in Flaming Homer, but it's still funny.

Mike Scoccia, "Sorry, I thought you were a deer." Smithers, "Oh, that's ok. It happens all the time." Yeah if your friends of Dick Cheney maybe.

(Don Mattingly returns to the field wearing a mohawk hairdo after Mr. Burns asked him to shave off his sideburns, which never existed in the first place.)
Mr. Burns: Mattingly! I thought I told you to trim those sideburns! GO HOME!!! YOU'RE OFF THE TEAM, FOR GOOD!!!
Don Mattingly: Fine! (to himself) I still like him better than Steinbrenner.

Marge, "Children tell me when your father stops scratching himself."

Hypnotist: I will give 110 percent.
Players: That's impossible. No one can give more than 100 percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.

Lord Palmerston? Pitt the Elder? The fight made me look them up.

But the ending is so as we say, "So Homer." Only Homer, gets up to bat with the game on the line. It's like when we were kids dreaming of scoring the winning the touchdown in the Super Bowl, Homerun in the World Series, pk in the World Cup. How did Homer grab glory. He took an inside pitch off his dome. No running around the field for him. No arms in the air orhigh fives. There he was, face down across home plate out cold. At least his team carried him around the field.

5/5