Thread: Puma Pride

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Puma Pride

So I've been reading some of the earlier comics and it seems that in every other story they mention skinner's puma pride, or the puma is part of the story.

I can't think of more than 3 mentions in the animated series, the last one I remember is in pokey mom.. but I think there were mentions before that.. just a lot fewer than in the comics.

skinner's baldness is another thing they went with in the comics, I know there are deleted scenes which show skinner wearing a toupee.

are there any other things like this where the comic runs with it but the animated series barely uses?
    Last edited by Frankbags; 03-24-2019 at 11:50 AM.

Clupid bloropope Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don’t remember if the comics have McClure and Hutz in them, but if they do, that’s an obvious one. I haven’t read a Simpsons comic in quite a while. I have the Colossal Compendia; I need to get to reading those.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

Blog Entries

I prefer Vans shoes
    Fuck Donald Trump. #NotMyPresident

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    I don’t remember if the comics have McClure and Hutz in them, but if they do, that’s an obvious one. I haven’t read a Simpsons comic in quite a while. I have the Colossal Compendia; I need to get to reading those.
    I have no idea if any comics released after hartman was murdered by his wife include McClure and Hutz... I think the latest comic I own is from 1996.

I was participating in a thread and bartman came up and it made me think about how some simpsons characters and plot objects had a longer life outside of the animated show... I think there have been at least 5 stories with bartman in the comics, I don't think the animated series had more than mere mentions of bartman, in jest most of the time.

I haven't ever read any of the comics, but that's interesting that they continued that aspect of Skinner's character there. It's definitely been lost from the show, though it pretty much goes hand in hand with Skinner going from an authority figure that inspired respect and even fear, to an ineffectual foil that Bart runs rings around and openly addresses as "Seymour" to his face. The humour from the Puma Pride stuff came from the stoic dignity of his character, and with that gone, it doesn't really work.

Conversely, I am glad they kept the gag of Skinner wearing a toupee out of the show. I remember them mentioning on a commentary track that they considered it but decided against it because of how corny and cliche it would've been, and I'd say they made the right call.
    A little less Generic than before.

Blog Entries

Pie Man, Stretch Dude & Clobber Girl, and Bartman all have continuations in the comics although none in the series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    I'd imagine patting Lisa on the head would sting, damn kids with their spiky heads.

Getting carried away on you Venomrabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The comics had a few instances of Bart and Frink being involved in plots together to the point where they could almost be an occasional duo, usually Bart misusing something of Frink's, though they hardly interact in show. Iirc there was the one where Bart's mind was copied into a machine and created a virus, Bart being under the impression something turned him invisible (it didn't) and I think that one where everyone kept getting cloned based on the decisions they made was also related to Frink.

I've sometimes been wondering about the Puma Pride thing and about it's full meaning. I think that maybe the puma is meant to be the school's mascot and that's why Skinner takes such extra pride in it other than just fancying the puma as an animal, seeing it as a great, noble creature and compares it to himself.

As for it not being a running aspect they kept up with, it does feel that it was never really meant to be an integral part of his character, more like as just the basis for a joke or a plot point, and there's no big need to bring it back.

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    I've sometimes been wondering about the Puma Pride thing and about it's full meaning. I think that maybe the puma is meant to be the school's mascot and that's why Skinner takes such extra pride in it other than just fancying the puma as an animal, seeing it as a great, noble creature and compares it to himself.

As for it not being a running aspect they kept up with, it does feel that it was never really meant to be an integral part of his character, more like as just the basis for a joke or a plot point, and there's no big need to bring it back.
    There's really no reason to bring it back.. but I re-watched pokey mom again a few days ago and it seems like they just ran with the puma pride concept as if it never left the show.. it's the school mascot and I honestly can't remember that many mentions in the show, I would have to start rewatching the first 3 seasons to make sure but I'm pretty sure that after that there's no mentions of the puma..

in the 3rd issue of the simpsons comics, released in 1994, the main story is a sort of take on the maltese falcon but with the school puma instead of the falcon.

Blog Entries

There a mention of the Puma in Separate Vocations, Skinner had a small statue of one, calling it the "principal of the mountains"

Blog Entries

Unseen throwaway joke Langdon Alger was part of a story once

Blog Entries

Well he wasn't unseen...

The "well read, just a little wild" guy from Bart's Girlfriend was used for his design. Though it seems a bit odd for Langdon (is he an older boy? That would explain why he's so much taller than Lisa) he is identified as Langdon in Lisa's guide to Geek Chic. Though how he's described there suits Lisa's description of him from Bart on the Road more than how he's described in Bart's girlfriend, or acts in the comic.

There's a couple other characters from previous episodes that sometimes have lines or even roles, like Hank Scorpio. Generally, without the need to get their voice actors, there's a lot of side and guest-star characters that become more of a recurring role.

Quote Originally Posted by Venomrabbit View Post
    There a mention of the Puma in Separate Vocations, Skinner had a small statue of one, calling it the "principal of the mountains"
    That is true (it's first appearance on the show, where it was also vandalized). If I'm not mistaken it's the only in-show appearance of the puma aside from 'Pokey Mom' with the wall mural plot point (too bad Skinner was a petty jerk in that one and the mural couldn't stay for future appearances, btw; I think that classic era Skinner would've liked that first design).

Thought I mentioned it in my post (was there when I was making it) but apparently it got left out in the shuffle.

Another thing I remember that was apparently exclusive to the comics was Arnold Leach and his company Boffo Comics.
    Let's also not forget the SNPP worker Dr. Olberman, who's also exclusive to the comics!

Thread Information