Thread: It's opening day boys and girls so play ball...

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

It's opening day boys and girls so play ball...

FXX is showing a whole night of baseball themed episodes or episodes with baseball in them for opening day which got me thinking of all the sport episodes over the years. Below is mine, which one is your favorite?

My choice is Homer at the Bat. Some of it has to do with the players that were in the episode played when I was in junior high, Ozzie Smith being one if my favorite players of all time. Four of those players are in the Hall of Fame: Wade Boggs, Ken Griffey Jr., Ozzie Smith, and of course Homer Simpson. But it's not all about the players, it's the jokes that are rampant through the whole episode. Carl with his enchanted jock strap. Bart and Lisa yelling, "Darryl, Darryl," which actually happened him during games. Homer running under a tree with a piece of sheet metal (a totally a Homer type move). The guy getting hit in the head with the baseball in the outfield stands when Homer hits his game winning homerun and the slow motion reaction replay when watching it at home. John Swartzwelder wrote a great scri.

If you never watched the episode with commentary, it's a must. The way they talk about certain players and how it was to deal with them. Canseco, who basically acted like Canseco (an ass). Don Mattingly, who loved the idea especially when he heard he got to make a wise crack about George Steinbrenner about his hair. I real life, his hair got him in trouble with the Yankees.

John Swartzwelder wrote a great script and this had some great quotes from everyone.

"Wow, it's like a party in my mouth. And everyone's invited." (Yes, it was said in Flaming Homer, but it's still funny.

Mike Scoccia, "Sorry, I thought you were a deer." Smithers, "Oh, that's ok. It happens all the time." Yeah if your friends of Dick Cheney maybe.

(Don Mattingly returns to the field wearing a mohawk hairdo after Mr. Burns asked him to shave off his sideburns, which never existed in the first place.)
    Mr. Burns: Mattingly! I thought I told you to trim those sideburns! GO HOME!!! YOU'RE OFF THE TEAM, FOR GOOD!!!
    Don Mattingly: Fine! (to himself) I still like him better than Steinbrenner.

Marge, "Children tell me when your father stops scratching himself."

Hypnotist: I will give 110 percent.
    Players: That's impossible. No one can give more than 100 percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.

Lord Palmerston? Pitt the Elder? The fight made me look them up.

But the ending is so as we say, "So Homer." Only Homer, gets up to bat with the game on the line. It's like when we were kids dreaming of scoring the winning the touchdown in the Super Bowl, Homerun in the World Series, pk in the World Cup. How did Homer grab glory. He took an inside pitch off his dome. No running around the field for him. No arms in the air orhigh fives. There he was, face down across home plate out cold. At least his team carried him around the field.

5/5
    Homer: Yeah, Moe, that team sure did suck last night. They just plain sucked! I've seen teams suck before, but they were the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.
    Marge: Homer! Watch your mouth!
    Homer: Aw, I gotta go. My damn weiner kids are listening.
    Lisa: We are not weiners!

Birthplace of the Flaming Moe Welcome to Moe's's Avatar

I think definitely Homer at the Bat, I didn't even know for a long time they were legit baseball players in that episode, I suppose it's quite obvious but not being in the US I had no clue who they were so it wasn't until I heard about all the accolades that episode got I realised lol

Obviously being in the UK I can't see all this anyway but it's great that they're doing this for the show over there!!

'"Uh, Hugh Jass! D'oh, somebody check the men's room for a Hugh Jass"

3. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Shoskin

Blog Entries

Homer at the Bat is one of the greatest episodes of the series. It’s phenomenal. Then there are terrible episodes such as The Boys of Bummer. Let’s not go near that dumpster fire.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

Forgive me for this, but "Dancin' Homer" is probably my favorite, largely due to how I am a baseball mascot performer myself.

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

There are very few baseball-themed episodes and the only real answer for me would be the obvious one, meaning 'Homer At The Bat' (though it's actually an softball episode, but it's close enough), which is indeed one of the standout episodes of the series and none of the other sports themed episodes comes close (the next best sports episode for me would be 'Lisa On Ice' if I haven't forgotten anyone).

I must add that in my opinion, the fact that it is about softball isn't what makes it great or even stand out as it could have been about essentially any other sport, but it's just that it's a main aspect that is implemented perfectly with the plot about the power plant in an guest-star players and the jokes about them and the sport itself, all due the excellent script by John Swartzwelder.

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Shoskin

Quote Originally Posted by Welcome to Moe's View Post
    I think definitely Homer at the Bat, I didn't even know for a long time they were legit baseball players in that episode, I suppose it's quite obvious but not being in the US I had no clue who they were so it wasn't until I heard about all the accolades that episode got I realised lol

Obviously being in the UK I can't see all this anyway but it's great that they're doing this for the show over there!!
    Well you could always look at it another way as if they were football players. Football meaning soccer, but as a fan, especially of the EPL I can't really in good name call it that. Plus it seems to piss off some people. But if you change getting hit by a pitch with maybe a free kick, it might work. Plus you can use someone like Joey Barton for Jose Canseco's character since they're both a-holes.
    "You Don't Have to Live Like a Referee," is a great episode about football. Where was Homer when Neymar was rolling all over the place in Brazil and in the French League?

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    There are very few baseball-themed episodes and the only real answer for me would be the obvious one, meaning 'Homer At The Bat' (though it's actually an softball episode, but it's close enough), which is indeed one of the standout episodes of the series and none of the other sports themed episodes comes close (the next best sports episode for me would be 'Lisa On Ice' if I haven't forgotten anyone).

I must add that in my opinion, the fact that it is about softball isn't what makes it great or even stand out as it could have been about essentially any other sport, but it's just that it's a main aspect that is implemented perfectly with the plot about the power plant in an guest-star players and the jokes about them and the sport itself, all due the excellent script by John Swartzwelder.
    Lisa: Milhouse! Knock him down if he's in your way.
    Jimbo! Jimbo, go for the face!
    Look! Ralph Wiggum lost his shin guard. Hack the bone! Hack
    the bone!

Homer: Wow...eye of the tiger, mouth of a Teamster!

That came from Lisa. I knew she had it in her. Actually some women's sports can be more violent than men's. I remember hearing stories about women's water polo about they got more to grab and hold on to, yikes.

However, this is a great episode. From Lisa failing PE that leads her being striped of being president, arrested and being thrown to a peninsula to die. The way she throws the paper. To finding out the PE teacher swallowed her favorite whistle.

We do have a tendency to bash Mike Scully but this is one of his best. It has a mushy ending but Bart and Lisa see how everyone is acting before the penalty shot, which is a problem with parents in youth sports. Marge was funny, "He tripped my boy! I demand vengeance. I want vengeance!"

BTW: Why did Marge keep Milhouse's teeth? Is she the type of person who sells them to companies that make spray paint?

Thread Information