• 2/5 Manufactured On Demand

3 27.27%
  • 1/5 i couldn't handle this shitty episode

5 45.45%

Thread: Family Guy R&R: "You Can't Handle the Booth!"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Family Guy R&R: "You Can't Handle the Booth!"

The Griffins provide DVD commentary on a never-before-seen episode entitled "New Phone, Who Dis?", which reveals behind-the-scenes drama between Peter and Lois.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

Blog Entries

eh, cute premise, but wore thin rather fast. way too much Lois yelling and not enough good gags. i did laugh at the pointless stairs song, the family guy wiki joke, and seth being identified as the mouse from sing, but that was pretty much it. rest of it was just a confusing gimmick that overstayed its welcome 2.5/5

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

Stuff I liked
    Secretary who wants people to talk about her haircut (sidenote: Hello secretary who sounds like Hayley!)
    Simpsons theme being used while Lois is on hold.
    Peter singing Halfway Down the Stairs

Stuff I didn't like
    Peter choking the turtle, and talking about doing so.
    Calm the fuck down Chris, you're not Quagmire (referring to him getting angry about the water bottles)!
    Obvious gag with Herbert
    Trouble cutaway

Misc
    So I'm guessing this episode was meant for Season 16 but became a holdover for this one?

Well, this was... Different. But much like last week's AD! proved, different isn't always good. This is basically an episode long version of the running gag from Bullocks to Stan of Klaus providing his own audio commentary. Except it worked there because it was only two or three jokes sprinkled throughout the episode, and not waste about a portion of it by having Lois' voice at easily it's most irritating in quite a long time before finally feeling like they just completely gave up, to the point where I'm pretty much giving up on trying to say anything more about this!

1/5 I've seen worse, but this wasn't very good and much like Send in Stewie, Please should've been an idea that never should've materialized past said initial (bad) idea. Better luck next week I suppose...
    Family Guy Season 18 Ratings - Yacht Rocky: TBD Bri-Da: TBD
    American Dad! Season 15 Ratings - Fantasy Baseball: 1.5/5 I Am the Jeans: The Gina Lavetti Story: 0/5 Stan & Francine & Connie & Ted: 0/5 Rabbit Ears: 1.5/5 Jeff and the Dank Ass Weed Factory: 1/5 Lost Boys: 0/5 Shark?!: 1/5 The Long March: 2/5 The Hall Monitor and the Lunch Lady: 0/5 Wild Women Do: 2/5 An Irish Goodbye: 3/5 Stompe le Monde: 0/5 Mom Sauce: 0/5 Hamerican Dad!: 0/5 Demolition Daddy: 0/5 Pride Before the Fail: .5/5 Enter Stanman: 0/5 No Weddings and a Funeral: 0/5 Eight Fires: 1.5/5 The Hand That Rocks the Rogu: 0/5 Downtown: TBD Cheek to Cheek: A Stripper's Story: TBD

Okay, what was the point of making this episode?

I thought Lois Comes Out Of Her Shell and Foreign Affairs were Lois Griffin at her worst but here I just wanted to shoot her head off with a .50 cal gun. She just kept screaming and screaming.

Another thing too, they seriously could've made something better out of the whole "stuck in the stairs" thing - Sealab 2021 had the classic episode where Murphy got trapped under a drink machine and they managed to figure out how to make that funny.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

I loved this idea but it is hold down by Alex Borstein’s pitiful voice acting (Last year Emmy winner for best voice acting ladies and gentlemen) and the whole drama with Peter Lois and Sarah Paulson conflict. The whole DVD commentary is not wasted, but it should’ve been better. I suppose it won’t been better if the whole plot was about the marriage crisis shit and not the actual episode they commented. Nevertheless it’s still Fahey’s best episode.
    @John95 Let’s give American dad credit: Wendy Schaal has the least annoying voice for a FOX animated mother.
    Last edited by fas1997; 03-24-2019 at 06:14 PM.
    Simpsons: 4 > 6 = 7 > 5 > 3 > 8 > 2 > 14 > 15 > 13 = 10 > 9 > 16 > 20 > 1 > 24 = 21 > 26 > 22 = 25 > 23 > 19 = 27 > 18 = 28 > 12 > 11 > 17 = 29

Family Guy: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 5 = 6 > 15 > 16 > 10 > 14 > > 7 = 11 = 9 > 8 > 12 = 13

American Dad: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 6 > 5 > 8 > 9 > 7 = 11 > 10 > 13 (so far) > 12

The Cleveland Show: 2 > 1 > 4 > 3

Futurama: 5 > 4 = 1 > 2 = 3 > 7 > 6

Rick and Morty: 2 > 1 > 3

Quote Originally Posted by fas1997 View Post
    (Last year Emmy winner for best voice acting ladies and gentlemen)
    I'd be disappointed but given that Dear Vikings (a bad spongebob episode) was nominated at one point, the emmys have become nothing but just a scam.

Making fun of DVD commentary in 2019: how fresh and topical! Indeed, a lot of the jokes were years late to the punchline. Seriously, a joke about Winona Ryder stealing? That would've been horribly dated fifteen years ago, let alone today.

I guess this is the logical culmination of all the fourth wall-breaking gags they've had this season. It's kind of an interesting idea and I don't mind some meta humour, but this was way too obnoxious. The actors meeting their characters might've worked if that hadn't become a cliche that's been used quite a bit in recent years. Apart from Seth MacFarlane clarifying it was him and not Brian speaking, it was predictable and fell flat.

1/5 because there's no zero in the poll, but yeah, I didn't care for that one at all. There have probably been worse episodes, but for me, it's up/down there with them.
    A little less Generic than before.

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: John95

I thought the idea behind this episode was okay; at this point in the show I can tolerate the incessant fourth-wall breaking. It can genuinely be funny sometimes. It's one of the few things the modern show does adequately. And I enjoyed some of this, but I agree that Lois yelling the whole time made it unpleasant. Like it might've been better if they hadn't tried to put some conflict into the characters doing the commentary. I would've been okay just hearing their comments on a semi-canon episode. They didn't need to make a marriage crisis out of it.
    Get woke, go broke

I said a while ago that the only time Family Guy is really funny these days is when the writers don't have to worry about making an actual episode. I really liked "Emmy-Winning Episode" and to a lesser extent, "Family Guy Through the Years" because they could have the characters act any way they wanted and it wouldn't come off as jarring. And this is no different.

When I first found out about this episode, I predicted two possible outcomes: It would either be really funny, or really irritating. In the end, it leaned more towards being funny. The fact that they were commenting on a never before seen episode allowed us to focus on two things at once, or choose one thing to focus on. That joke about Lois being on hold would be irritating on its own, but it was saved because you could just watch the episode. Plus, the episode was somewhat ridiculous so it made you wonder exactly what was going on.

There were definitely problems with the episode that kept it from being better. Even with a concept as unique as this one, they still had to have Peter and Lois argue. It was actually pretty funny when they had the real actors come in and tell the characters that they weren't real, but it's one of those things where the show stretches how meta they can be. Absolutely nothing matters at this point if the characters are completely aware of themselves. This almost seems like something that should be a series finale, but I'm pretty sure the show has at least a few more seasons to go. Hell, for all we know, it could potentially have 30 seasons so that's a lot of time to no longer be invested in anything.

Considering how awful this season has been, the silver lining is that there's at least one more episode I won't be embarrassed to watch again. There were a lot of jokes here that I liked, and while it definitely could have been better, it definitely could have been worse. 3.5/5

I didn't completely dislike this one, but hard to deny it stretched what was basically one joke for far too long. I really don't think it was necessary for the commentary to have a plot, as it wasn't interesting enough to overwhelm everything else. Trying to strain to figure out what's happening in the episode as the characters talk nonstop (which I know was part of the joke) was just a recipe for a headache, especially since it's an uninteresting marriage crisis. Then, the real actors entered the booth, and I lost track of what was going on even further. Plus, the episode beneath the commentary wasn't dull enough to be uninteresting, which was a detriment as you wanted to basically turn the commentary off to see what was happening. I know it's not much, but I would much rather hear Peter sing an old song just as a cheap reference than hear Lois scream.

2.5/5

Quote Originally Posted by 3t8yb View Post
    I didn't completely dislike this one, but hard to deny it stretched what was basically one joke for far too long. I really don't think it was necessary for the commentary to have a plot, as it wasn't interesting enough to overwhelm everything else. Trying to strain to figure out what's happening in the episode as the characters talk nonstop (which I know was part of the joke) was just a recipe for a headache, especially since it's an uninteresting marriage crisis. Then, the real actors entered the booth, and I lost track of what was going on even further. Plus, the episode beneath the commentary wasn't dull enough to be uninteresting, which was a detriment as you wanted to basically turn the commentary off to see what was happening. I know it's not much, but I would much rather hear Peter sing an old song just as a cheap reference than hear Lois scream.

2.5/5
    I like listening to commentaries especially for The Simpsons and Futurama since you get to hear about the episode's history and other funny things. But in this one there wasn't really anything funny about and no history behind the episode. Just random talk.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

2/5 - for "New Phone, Who Dis?"
    Please, please, please, pleasepleaseplease, PLEASE, did I mention "please," please tell me that the version of the episode without the "commentary" will be made available somewhere, even if only as a separate audio track on the DVD version of "You Can't Handle the Booth!"

The first part of the commentary was bad enough, but when it got to the "you're not real" portion, it became a total mess.

This was a trainwreck! The episode they were commetaring was lame and I agree that making a joke about Winona Ryder may have been funny then but not now and makes it dated. Too much screaming from Lois and everybody breaking the fourth wall especially the actors telling their characters they weren't real really took the cake. It sounded good on paper and it should have stayed on paper. 1.5 for me.

Thread Information