Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How are you guys finding season 30 so far?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Birthplace of the Flaming Moe Welcome to Moe's's Avatar

Question How are you guys finding season 30 so far?

Please note, I haven't seen any of season 30 yet so try not to give any spoilers however I wanted to ask this because I've been seeing quite a few comments lately from people saying they've been really enjoying the season, comments such as:

"Did anyone else catch Sunday nights episode of The Simpsons? I honestly thought it was amazing"
    "I'm loving season 30 so far"
    "Amazing episode" (in regards to "E My Sports")
    "I've found that with the last few seasons" (In reply to this season being great)

However someone did put one a little less praising one about "E My Sports" but still more praising than normal which read:

"Not a fan of this one too much but the last two or three were great! Looking like maybe they got some new writers?"

It does seem like since The Simpsons got the reputation of not being so great as they used to be or when they had the dip in the seasons a lot of people felt it's been kinda hard to get that back on par with the fans (chances are a lot that are saying this haven't even been watching the new seasons) however I was wondering what you guys felt here? Are you enjoying this season so far?

I look forward to hearing from some of you as reading these comments has got me intrigued

'"Uh, Hugh Jass! D'oh, somebody check the men's room for a Hugh Jass"

Non-Simpsons scare me. Road Rage's Avatar

I only watched the Treehouse of Horror. Didn't find it enjoyable.

Blog Entries

It’s all right. Maybe a little better than season 29 so far. Daddicus Finch was quite good, and there have been some other solid offerings. I didn’t like The Clown Stays in the Picture or ‘Tis the 30th Season, but I think those have been the only real duds so far.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

Yeah, I've to catch up on this season yet (I do wanna see 'Tis the 30th Season too) but I have heard some pretty good feedback around in regards to this, which as you know seeing that is quite rare from people really as most don't come to say how great things are lol

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

I kind of find it a mixed bag and not nearly as good as Season 29 (which I thought was a sign things would get better for the current season as it had a surprisingly big numer of above average episodes and it felt like writers really tried with episodes like 'Gone Boy' and 'King Leer' but this season just hasn't measured up to the same highs as that season and lies on an fairly middling level).

There has been some rather good ones (like 'Baby You Can't Drive My Car', 'Daddicus Finch' & '101 Mitigations') and some others that were better than I thought they would be (such as 'From Russia Without Love' and 'I'm Dancing As Fat As I Can') but as a whole it feels somewhat average with much fewer standouts, but the good and decent episodes are still good and worth watching if you're into modern Simpsons (and there's yet to be an bottom level awful episode in the season in my opinion).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 03-22-2019 at 06:48 AM.

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

This topic came up in one of the several Simpsons discords I frequent yesterday so I'll just share what I posted there.

Season 30 has been solid by HD season standards but not remarkable. Only the Cohen/Westbrook episodes have been thoroughly mediocre. Everything else has been perfectly quaint but Selman picking this season to coast in neutral has resulted in few standout episodes. His episodes have often carried a season in recent years whereas this year they've almost all been poorly executed disappointments.
    As Selman is much more adept at showrunning others as opposed to himself, I wholeheartedly expect Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy to reverse that trend this Sunday or, at the very least, be on par with Krusty the Clown.

Mike B. Anderson's animation team continues to step it up and raise the bar as they have all season. It probably hasn't hurt that the person I consider to be the weak link on that team (Bob Anderson) has been largely absent since the premiere.

Tim Long hasn't had any lead writing efforts and won't until D'oh Canada in May. Ryan Koh's only episode was showrun by Selman (hence it wound up his best episode by a mile like so many other writers before him). The Castellaneta/Lacusta tandem delivered easily one of their best efforts of the entire series (no surprise seeing how none of the stories revolved around Dan's characters). Pross & Gammill won't be afforded a chance to mediocre it up until April. So only Cohen/Westbrook have been given the opportunity to proffer disappointments outside of Selman's own scripts.

Plus, we've had NINE episodes (out of 23) with women attached as lead writers. How awesome is that! And they've largely been the highlights of this season outside of the Jean/LaZebnik episodes. Let me put that stat in perspective with how many scripts they've had in past seasons...

Season 20 - 2 - Stephanie Gillis, Valentina L. Garza
    Season 21 - 4 - Carolyn Omine (2), Stephanie Gillis (2)
    Season 22 - 3 - Deb Lacusta (2), Valentina L. Garza
    Season 23 - 3 - Carolyn Omine, Deb Lacusta, Stephanie Gillis
    Season 24 - 3 - Carolyn Omine, Stephanie Gillis, Valentina L. Garza
    Season 25 - 2 - Carolyn Omine, Stephanie Gillis
    Season 26 - 3 - Carolyn Omine, Stephanie Gillis, Valentina L. Garza
    Season 27 - 3 - Carolyn Omine (2), Stephanie Gillis
    Season 28 - 2 - Carolyn Omine, Deb Lacusta
    Season 29 - 2 - Miranda Thompson (2)

Season 30 - NINE

Bart's Not Dead - Stephanie Gillis
    Heartbreak Hotel - Renee Ridgeley & Matt Selman
    My Way or the Highway to Heaven - Dan Castellaneta, Deb Lacusta & Vince Waldron
    Werking Mom - Carolyn Omine & Robin Sayers
    I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can - Jane Becker
    Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy - Megan Amram
    Girl's in the Band - Nancy Cartwright
    I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh - Jeff Martin & Jenna Martin
    D'oh Canada - Tim Long & Miranda Thompson

This is, by far, the best trend from this season and while I don't expect this to be the new norm by any stretch of the imagination, it's a trend I highly welcome.

I would like to see the show stop playing it so safe with recycled storylines (we've had FAR too many marriage crisis main plots and subplots this season; only I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can did something good with it). I would like to see the show move away from employing music numbers as episode padding unless they're going to fully commit to executing them at the same high standard as Bob's Burgers (the songs from Werking Mom and Krusty the Clown were the best of the lot, IMO).

That said, fully committing to another musical episode along the lines of The President Wore Pearls is something I would wholeheartedly support. (And musical number padding is still FAR better than list joke pun padding. Thank goodness those have been largely absent of late.)

So the show taking more narrative risks (I miss the Maxtone-Graham / Kimball format-bender scripts) while taking less risks at garnering PR from triggering alt-right uproar for social media relevance would be highly welcome. That and taking Cohen away from the THOH anthology episodes (we get Burns this year so I'm already stoked for that).

All in all this season has been pretty solid seeing how we haven't had a solo "motivated" Burns effort, a solo Frink effort and Selman has only showrun himself outside of Koh and his wife. The lows (outside of the ones cited) have been minimized but the highs haven't exactly reached the standards set by Seasons 23, 25, 27 & 29. Heh... there's an odd-season trend there. I suspect this will wind up a season that folks remember fondly but it may also provide no standouts that wind up on my post-Classic era Top 50 list... which was also the case for Seasons 22, 24 & 26.
    SEASON 30 RANKINGS
    Bart's Not Dead - 2.5/5 / Heartbreak Hotel - 1.5/5 / My Way or the Highway to Heaven - 3/5
    THOH XXIX = Intrusion of the Pod-Y Switchers - 1.5/5 / Multiplisaty - 2.5/5 / Geriatric Park - 2/5
    Baby You Can't Drive My Car - 2/5 / From Russia Without Love - 3.5/5 / Werking Mom - 3/5
    Krusty the Clown - 4/5 / Daddicus Finch - 5/5 / 'Tis the 30th Season - 2/5 / Mad About the Toy - 1.5/5
    The Girl on the Bus - 2/5 / I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can - 4.5/5 / The Clown Stays in the Picture - 1.5/5
    101 Mitigations - 3/5 / I Want You (She's So Heavy) - 1/5 / E My Sports - 3.5/5
    Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy - 4.5/5 / Girl's in the Band - 4/5 / I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh - 1/5
    D'oh Canada - 2.5/5 / Woo-hoo Dunnit? - 3.5/5 / Crystal Blue-Haired Persuasion - 1.5/5

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    I kind of find it a mixed bag and not nearly as good as Season 29 (which I thought was a sign things would get better for the current season as it had a surprisingly big numer of above average episodes and it felt like writers really tried with episodes like 'Gone Boy' and 'King Leer' but this season just hasn't measured up to the same highs as that season and lies on an fairly middling level).

There has been some rather good ones (like 'Baby You Can't Drive My Car', 'Daddicus Finch' & '101 Mitigations') and some others that were better than I thought they would be (such as 'From Russia Without Love' and 'I'm Dancing As Fat As I Can') but as a whole it feels somewhat average with much fewer standouts, but the good and decent episodes are still good and worth watching if you're into modern Simpsons (and there's yet to be an bottom level awful episode in the season in my opinion).
    Yeah, I mean seasons that are near by are probably going to go up and down in general, that's just gonna really I guess however it does seem as though they've definitely kept a higher quality standard with fans still with this season than they have say when people were saying the show wasn't great, I'm hearing a lot more positives since probably season 27 I think, so it's good to see that they have been quite consistent with things and that it wasn't just a fluke when people felt the seasons improved a little from previous.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    This topic came up in one of the several Simpsons discords I frequent yesterday so I'll just share what I posted there.

As Selman is much more adept at showrunning others as opposed to himself, I wholeheartedly expect Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy to reverse that trend this Sunday or, at the very least, be on par with Krusty the Clown.

Mike B. Anderson's animation team continues to step it up and raise the bar as they have all season. It probably hasn't hurt that the person I consider to be the weak link on that team (Bob Anderson) has been largely absent since the premiere.

Tim Long hasn't had any lead writing efforts and won't until D'oh Canada in May. Ryan Koh's only episode was showrun by Selman (hence it wound up his best episode by a mile like so many other writers before him). The Castellaneta/Lacusta tandem delivered easily one of their best efforts of the entire series (no surprise seeing how none of the stories revolved around Dan's characters). Pross & Gammill won't be afforded a chance to mediocre it up until April. So only Cohen/Westbrook have been given the opportunity to proffer disappointments outside of Selman's own scripts.

Plus, we've had NINE episodes (out of 23) with women attached as lead writers. How awesome is that! And they've largely been the highlights of this season outside of the Jean/LaZebnik episodes. Let me put that stat in perspective with how many scripts they've had in past seasons...

Season 20 - 2 - Stephanie Gillis, Valentina L. Garza
    Season 21 - 4 - Carolyn Omine (2), Stephanie Gillis (2)
    Season 22 - 3 - Deb Lacusta (2), Valentina L. Garza
    Season 23 - 3 - Carolyn Omine, Deb Lacusta, Stephanie Gillis
    Season 24 - 3 - Carolyn Omine, Stephanie Gillis, Valentina L. Garza
    Season 25 - 2 - Carolyn Omine, Stephanie Gillis
    Season 26 - 3 - Carolyn Omine, Stephanie Gillis, Valentina L. Garza
    Season 27 - 3 - Carolyn Omine (2), Stephanie Gillis
    Season 28 - 2 - Carolyn Omine, Deb Lacusta
    Season 29 - 2 - Miranda Thompson (2)

Season 30 - NINE

Bart's Not Dead - Stephanie Gillis
    Heartbreak Hotel - Renee Ridgeley & Matt Selman
    My Way or the Highway to Heaven - Dan Castellaneta, Deb Lacusta & Vince Waldron
    Werking Mom - Carolyn Omine & Robin Sayers
    I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can - Jane Becker
    Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy - Megan Amram
    Girl's in the Band - Nancy Cartwright
    I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh - Jeff Martin & Jenna Martin
    D'oh Canada - Tim Long & Miranda Thompson

This is, by far, the best trend from this season and while I don't expect this to be the new norm by any stretch of the imagination, it's a trend I highly welcome.

I would like to see the show stop playing it so safe with recycled storylines (we've had FAR too many marriage crisis main plots and subplots this season; only I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can did something good with it). I would like to see the show move away from employing music numbers as episode padding unless they're going to fully commit to executing them at the same high standard as Bob's Burgers (the songs from Werking Mom and Krusty the Clown were the best of the lot, IMO).

That said, fully committing to another musical episode along the lines of The President Wore Pearls is something I would wholeheartedly support. (And musical number padding is still FAR better than list joke pun padding. Thank goodness those have been largely absent of late.)

So the show taking more narrative risks (I miss the Maxtone-Graham / Kimball format-bender scripts) while taking less risks at garnering PR from triggering alt-right uproar for social media relevance would be highly welcome. That and taking Cohen away from the THOH anthology episodes (we get Burns this year so I'm already stoked for that).

All in all this season has been pretty solid seeing how we haven't had a solo "motivated" Burns effort, a solo Frink effort and Selman has only showrun himself outside of Koh and his wife. The lows (outside of the ones cited) have been minimized but the highs haven't exactly reached the standards set by Seasons 23, 25, 27 & 29. Heh... there's an odd-season trend there. I suspect this will wind up a season that folks remember fondly but it may also provide no standouts that wind up on my post-Classic era Top 50 list... which was also the case for Seasons 22, 24 & 26.
    That's a really great post and I completely agree with you in regards to the women writers, it's absolutely awesome and I hope they do continue to have them just as much too as they're clearly doing a great job and adding something fresh here!!

I hear you about the recycled storylines, I guess this goes back to more secondary characters being involved in lead storylines more as part of the show, there really is so many diverse characters in Springfield that work with lead storylines written around them with of course The Simpsons being as fully involved but it does get tedious with the recycled storylines, specially the marriage crisis thing, that is a bit overdone now.

I only think I disagree with is the musical episodes and that's really coming from a personal preference, I just don't like them, I mean I loved and really enjoyed the B-Sharps episode back in the day and a few others that have had this kind of vibe with them but on a whole I'm not a fan, it's the same with South Park though, even though I know Trey Parker is a huge fan of musicals so it makes sense for him to do them (and they do them so well) but when there's just too much of it I don't like it really, I prefer to see the family as they are, as a family, not singing songs etc... as that's not what we do and I do like to relate to them like that, which I can't when they're constantly going round singing musicals.

That's just my preference though, however that was a really great post

Pretty average. To be fair, I generally don't see much difference between the HD seasons, but I do notice stand-out episodes, and so far there haven't really been any this season. There have been some decent ones, but nothing that rises to the level of "Halloween of Horror" or even last season's "Gone Boy". I'm glad they have toned down the "Bart is a loser" trope they seemed to be stuck on during the first half of last season, but in this season we've had far too many musical numbers. I'm not sure if they're trying to be Bob's Burgers, but I just find it a time-waster. I wish I had more to say about it, but so far I haven't found this season to be particularly memorable.
    "Your tears say more than real evidence ever could."

The show really needs fresh blood. Al Jean should take a backseat, but he can still serve as a co-consultant or something. I suggest getting someone from outside the writers' circle, like John Altschuler and Dave Krinsky of King of the Hill. They're free right now. They're responsible for the more grounded, almost serialized seasons of the show. We need that kind of realism again. It used to be typical Simpsons territory.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

So far it's a case of "nothing awful but nothing special" as far as I'm concerned. There are a lot of episodes that are stuck in the "decent-average" territory, I think this is the predominance for this season. Maybe it's a little above season 29 for me overall, but the last season tried more things and had more memorable episodes (King Leer) while nothing special distinguishes itself from season 30 (except maybe Daddicus Finch). It's just season 29 was more irregular in my opinion.

But this season has indeed positive things, like some episodes that surprised me while they had a questionable plot (Werking Mom, I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can), and nothing really awful (The Clown Stays in the Pictures, The Girl on the Bus and I Want You (She's So Heavy) are bad but I've seen worst). And of course, the good episodes are still watchable. But as a whole, I don't think this season will be particularly memorable, even by modern seasons standards. Not because it's bad, but because, like I said, nothing special distinguishes itself.

I agree with @Brad Lascelle that it's great to see more female talent among the writers on the show, not only for diversitys sake as the writers' crw is otherwis a group of guys but also as new blood as not all of them have written much or at all before. While all of those aired so far haven't been my personal picks from the season's best none of them were outright bad and some felt pretty fresh in a sense (such as 'I'm Dancing As Fat As I Can' which did something a little new with the marriage crisis plot trope) and there might be some surprises left with the upcoming ones.

I also fully support the notion of a new musical episode. With all the random musical numbers they put in the episodes this season it feels like they are itching to do a new musical thing so they should stop fiddling around and commit to that and make one, maybe as part of the next season. Since many of the recent songs have been pretty good and well written it should bode well for a new musical episode's quality so they should definitely go for it; it would most likely pay off.

Furthermore, I'll add that while I don't like the season as much as the previous one so far (and think that it reuses and rehashes perhaps too much for it's own good) it has had a lot of pretty memorable episodes and plotlines (even if the particular episode qualities haven't been top notch) so even if it doesn't end up beating the previous one it'll at least have bunch of stuff to be remembered (unless you don't particularily like modern Simpsons and find it all forgettable).

Quote Originally Posted by Rutherford View Post
    The show really needs fresh blood. Al Jean should take a backseat, but he can still serve as a co-consultant or something. I suggest getting someone from outside the writers' circle, like John Altschuler and Dave Krinsky of King of the Hill. They're free right now. They're responsible for the more grounded, almost serialized seasons of the show. We need that kind of realism again. It used to be typical Simpsons territory.
    You know, John and Dave actually sound like a great contribution to the show, I mean King of the Hill was brilliant and Mike Judge was very influenced by The Simpsons and has a lot of respect for them, even though his shows were completely original (I have nothing but huge admiration for Mike Judge) but I think what you mentioned in regards to those writers too would be a good call.

The Simpsons have featured King of the Hill a couple of times and to a lesser degree Beavis and Butthead (I wish they'd reference these a little more to be honest as I feel there's a great couch gag opportunity there) however the realism they bring with the characters, show and writing is something that would really benefit The Simpsons big time I reckon.

On an off topic, they really should bring back Beavis and Butthead again, the 2011 season was fantastic and so true to the original series they really smashed it. I think the problem with that was the whole timing of it when they did it wasn't really the right time and they didn't get the support as much as they should have, even hardcore Beavis and Butthead fans were finding out ages after they've made a comeback and then when they discovered the season it got nothing but high praise from them! They really should bring back another season and/or a new movie like Beavis and Butthead Do America.

13. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Shoskin

I felt it started out reasonably strong, but it's tapered off a little. Still, for me there's been a few rather good episodes, and some that were reasonably entertaining despite their flaws. Much like Season 29, I feel there are some really good ideas, but they're not always being executed particularly well, which is one of the recurring problems of the HD era. I've liked Season 30 well enough so far for its higher points, but it's held back by stories that lose their way halfway through, or bad choices in plot points, punchlines, and characterisation.
    A little less Generic than before.

There is all these rumours about how they're going to end the show fairly soon with the Disney takeover so if they do, then as I say I just hope they've got a good ending for it and at least they have got themselves back on par (for most) to some degree too so it's not going to be on a season where people completely slated it (although of course you will hear people who will say that about The Simpsons now no matter how much they get back on track).

That said, every time something comes around Simpsons related there's always this "The show is gonna end" thing, here's the latest.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/fox-re...y-canceling-it

That aside, I think the show has done fantastically well, it's never been bad (in my opinion) and of course it's fair to say the classic seasons are exactly that but it's always had a good audience enough to be prime time and not get pulled from that and they do seem to have a much better vibe around the latest seasons now than they did say 3 - 4 seasons or so ago, so it's all good I reckon

I just hope Disney do put money into the franchise be it releasing the DVD's of the seasons much better than Fox and financing a movie which would be pretty cool too (and hey, throw in that Christmas special I've mentioned before and the late night Moe's Tavern shorts).

---------------------

https://www.nohomers.net/showthread....ern-could-work

Actually an Esquilax Venomrabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I dunno, considering the Disney homepage had changed to include them, seems like it'd be a bit pointless if they were just gonna cancel it asap.

Anyways... I'd still say 30 is a big step up from 28, didn't bother with 29 so eh, but I'd say below 27. It had a promising start but honestly, there's been a lot of slippage in some of the most recent ones. But overall it's middling, which okay sure, there could be worse.

Wrote the book on flimflammin Grifty McGrift's Avatar
    Blog Entries

10/10

Quote Originally Posted by Venomrabbit View Post
    I dunno, considering the Disney homepage had changed to include them, seems like it'd be a bit pointless if they were just gonna cancel it asap.

Anyways... I'd still say 30 is a big step up from 28, didn't bother with 29 so eh, but I'd say below 27. It had a promising start but honestly, there's been a lot of slippage in some of the most recent ones. But overall it's middling, which okay sure, there could be worse.
    That's what I mean, this stuff is always said every time something involves The Simpsons lol

We'll just have to see won't we, they've still got another two seasons at least.

If you didn't bother with 29 then I'd say you really missed out; I think it had several pretty good episodes (more than I thought it would have) including some of the strongest ones of the latest few seasons.

So far I think I'd rank them 29 > 27 > 30 > 28 (with a bit of room between the last two. 28 was pretty weak with a few of the worst episodes in some time and few above average episodes which squarely puts it dead last for me).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 03-23-2019 at 10:00 AM.

I've only seen the holdovers from the XABF production line so far, but the first few were so bad I was tempted to stop watching. I thought "Baby Don't Drive My Car" was great, though, a really fun, well-told story, and I also enjoyed "From Russia Without Love" and "Krusty the Clown". I guess I feel the same way about this season as I've felt about the show for the last decade or so: there's a lot of mediocrity, and even outright awful stuff, but when it does something right I feel it was worth shuffling through the rest to get to it.
    Season 30 Ratings
    Bart's Not Dead C- Heartbreak Hotel ​D My Way or the Highway to Heaven ​D- Treehouse of Horror XXIX ​C- Baby You Can't Drive My Car ​B+ From Russia Without Love ​B- Werking Mom ​C Krusty the Clown ​B Daddicus Finch B+ 'Tis the 30th Season ​D+ Mad About the Toy ​C+ The Girl on the Bus ​C I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can ​C- The Clown Stays in the Picture ​C- 101 Mitigations C+ I Want You (She's So Heavy) ​C E My Sports ​B- Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy ​C-

Yeah, I do wonder if however many seasons down the line we'll look back on season 27, 28, 29, 30 etc... as good seasons, regardless of how good the seasons are at the time I still think that on a whole we probably will, I mean I know season 24 isn't anywhere close to people's favourite season and it probably still stands for most in regards to this however as I mentioned in another thread watching it again I've found it more enjoyable and better than what I thought it was, like Dangers on a Train for example was really good and although some episodes were a little hit and miss it was nowhere near as bad as it was made out to be, for me personally of course as I know it's all subjective but it just surprised me

Blog Entries

It could happen, if enough new seasons come out. Like how people have gone from calling for Mike Scully's lynching to going easy on or even defending S9-12 at times. It's always how it is, like with people in the Sonic fandom rushing to the defense of 06 for what amounts to "it's not recent anymore"

I've seen Left Behind and Flanders' Ladder and I'll say they were good but actually it's less not bothering with 28-29 anymore but actively avoiding that period, with only those two exceptions. Personal reasons but there's no way I'd be able to watch anything from there and be remotely fair about it. I mean I'd already seen enough of 28 to know it was crap but it's why I'm not factoring in 29.

@Venomrabbit, I don't get why you would actively avoid 29 after 28 being a letdown (neither do I understand why 28 would taint the following one altogether to the point of it being unwatchable aside from the two you saw). I guess that I just don't get your reasoning.

I think that one should look at the seasons individually instead of lumping them together as sections of good and bad, but you have your opinion and I have mine, though just saying that 29 does have some legitmately good stuff worth checking out (the only thing I really hold against it is that occasional annoying portrayal of Bart as a sociopath, something that has mostly been corrected with 30, but it's a fairly minor quibble and what worked mostly outweighed what didn't for me).

Regarding 30, while doesn't reach previous season's highs there are some pretty good episodes in there as well as nice plots, ideas and things of interest even though the execution of them doesn't always work and I think that counts as something).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 03-23-2019 at 01:37 PM.

Blog Entries

Like I said, personal reasons. I know they'd seem stupid and petty to anyone else but that's just how it is.

Strangely, on season 30 I have kind of the opposite reaction at least in terms of ideas. Because a lot of them did sound outright terrible (I mean, Talking Hernia?) but then in practice turned out a lot better, not always brilliant but much better than the premise had any right being, which does remind me of 27 a fair bit.

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    I think that one should look at the seasons individually instead of lumping them together as sections of good and bad.
    Personally, while I'm content to share my assessments of a season in-progress (as I did above), I think the insistence within Simpsons fandom to debate the merits of one season vs. another (outside of the Classic era) to be somewhat trite. Especially when production runs tend to bleed over into the first 7-8 episodes that air each fall. This holds doubly true for a season like 23 with such drastic variance in quality from one episode to another that the same person could legitimately make a case for it being both the best HD season and the worst HD season depending on whether they're taking a glass is half full or half empty approach at the time.

I will almost always prefer to debate the merits of individual episodes vs. one another, showrunners vs. one another, lead scriptwriters vs. one another or animation directors vs. one another over the much more arbitrary season ## is better or worse than season ##.

Season against season doesn't always work too well and isn't ideal, mostly due to the quality of the individual episodes in a season (such as with 23 like you said) and it's all subjective due to ones tastes and so forth, but sometimes it can work fairly well and be sufficent, but I'd rather compare seasons and the good and bad of them on their own than, as I said, clump seasons together and judge them as one. I think the latter feels unfair.

Strangely, on season 30 I have kind of the opposite reaction at least in terms of ideas. Because a lot of them did sound outright terrible (I mean, Talking Hernia?) but then in practice turned out a lot better, not always brilliant but much better than the premise had any right being, which does remind me of 27 a fair bit.
    I did have that reaction too towards some of the things in there, not just the good plots, ideas and concepts that didn't fully pan out like I said (though some of the stuff were commendable efforts). It's kind of an interesting season in those respects.

Yeah @Brad Lascelle has made a good point there about how people sum up the seasons, say if we have 10 good episodes and 10 not so good episodes but yet those 10 episodes that were good had some really good one's in it, if they sum up the season from that perspective they're going to feel it was a good season with a couple of hit and miss episodes where as if they sum up the season from the not so great episodes they may then say the season isn't great because they're going by the negatives as opposed to the positives of the season. Say we had 3 really excellent episodes, 6 ok episodes but 7 not so great episodes with one really bad they might say it was a bad season or a great season if that makes sense cause each side has a different scale of how good or bad the episode was, then you compile that as a whole and either decide from the negative or positive episodes whether it was a good or bad season or not, it's hard to explain, so I hope this comes across right but I know what I'm trying to say haha

Basically, it all depends on how we look at the seasons, some people will look more and reflect the season quality more on the scale of the negative side of the seasons and where as others will look and sum up the season using the more positive sides and that really could reflect in a different result from the same person with the same opinion on each episode but looking at it from a different perspective.

I hope that makes sense haha

Blog Entries

yeah

29. Thumbs Up To This Post by: cam

Quote Originally Posted by Rutherford View Post
    I have been thinking this for a while about Al Jean. Al has done a lot for this show and has been keeping it going but I think it would be nice to have a new perspective. To me the show has gotten stale in some ways. Not enough for me to quit watching but enough of me to go oh FFS not again: ie Lisa feeling sorry for herself, Marge pissed at Homer, Homer must make amends and so forth. We hot two years and hopefully more if Disney doesn't fuck it up.
    Homer: Yeah, Moe, that team sure did suck last night. They just plain sucked! I've seen teams suck before, but they were the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.
    Marge: Homer! Watch your mouth!
    Homer: Aw, I gotta go. My damn weiner kids are listening.
    Lisa: We are not weiners!

Quote Originally Posted by Welcome to Moe's View Post
    You know, John and Dave actually sound like a great contribution to the show, I mean King of the Hill was brilliant and Mike Judge was very influenced by The Simpsons and has a lot of respect for them, even though his shows were completely original (I have nothing but huge admiration for Mike Judge) but I think what you mentioned in regards to those writers too would be a good call.

The Simpsons have featured King of the Hill a couple of times and to a lesser degree Beavis and Butthead (I wish they'd reference these a little more to be honest as I feel there's a great couch gag opportunity there) however the realism they bring with the characters, show and writing is something that would really benefit The Simpsons big time I reckon.

On an off topic, they really should bring back Beavis and Butthead again, the 2011 season was fantastic and so true to the original series they really smashed it. I think the problem with that was the whole timing of it when they did it wasn't really the right time and they didn't get the support as much as they should have, even hardcore Beavis and Butthead fans were finding out ages after they've made a comeback and then when they discovered the season it got nothing but high praise from them! They really should bring back another season and/or a new movie like Beavis and Butthead Do America.

Ah Beavis and Butthead. There was my high school comedy right there. I still love going back and watching old episodes because they still for some reason amuse me. Plus, that movie was excellent and if any of you haven't scene it, you have to sometime in your life. Cloris Leachman talking about there being so many slots, you don't know where to begin about Las Vegas. Even Sickle and Ebert gave it two thumbs up.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoskin View Post
    Ah Beavis and Butthead. There was my high school comedy right there. I still love going back and watching old episodes because they still for some reason amuse me. Plus, that movie was excellent and if any of you haven't scene it, you have to sometime in your life. Cloris Leachman talking about there being so many slots, you don't know where to begin about Las Vegas. Even Sickle and Ebert gave it two thumbs up.
    Haha, yeah it's such an underrated show! And yeah I hear you about the movie, I tell everybody about it all the time who haven't seen it but no one listens haha It is a film that everyone needs to see!!

Yeah, the old episodes are brilliant, I've got this huge gold box set with loads of discs in it and loads of the episodes which are great, the 2011 comeback series too was awesome and just as good as the original and one DVD that is pretty good to watch which I go to often is the Most Wanted DVD, it's put together so well and is worth having for anyone.

You should get this if you haven't got it already

Thread Information