Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More series DVDs?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Professional Teleporter Mícheál's Avatar
    Blog Entries

More series DVDs?

I opened up Twitter just now, and noticed this tweet that Al Jean liked:

The Tweet was from Matthew Schofield, who says that he recorder commentary this week for a THOH episode that he directed with Mike B. Anderson.

I looked up the episodes that these guys directed, and I think the episode they're talking about is the THOH XX.

That episode is from season 21, so its looking like they're doing commentary in preparation for more Season DVD releases.
    "I may or may not die young. I haven't decided yet."

Birthplace of the Flaming Moe Welcome to Moe's's Avatar

That's awesome!! I really hope they do release the rest of the DVD's, I do know though that they were still recording commentary before when the DVD's had stopped, I think maybe for Simpsons World but I'm not sure commentary can be heard on there so no idea, would be cool to hear Fox's response in regards to the season 18 DVD's, they did well so I can't see why not, all depends on Fox really so would be cool to get some update.

I actually emailed them recently to ask but they gave me this reply.

Many thanks for your recent inquiry regarding The Simpsons, these titles are produced by Gracie Films and you would need to contact them directly with your request.

The Simpsons
    P.O. Box 900
    Beverly Hills
    CA 90210
    USA

Kind regards,

Julia

FOX
    Kinda confused me cause I thought it was down to Fox to release these and Gracie Films is owned by Jim Brooks who no doubt wanted the DVD's to continue like the rest of the team did, I asked if there was an email contact cause sending a letter is obviously a bit long winded but that's the reply I got anyway.

'"Uh, Hugh Jass! D'oh, somebody check the men's room for a Hugh Jass"

3. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Mícheál

Blog Entries

Yeah I didn't think just emailing them would ever get a straight answer. But I would really like to see them keep releasing DVDs.

If they're doing the episode commentary chronologically, they might already have the content for seasons 19 and 20 ready to go. (At least I hope they do commentary for season 20 - the current DVD for it isn't that good I've heard).

So hopefully the'll try to release the box sets one per year or something from now on.

Yeah, for me it was a case of showing them the demand is there more than getting an answer, the more emails they get like this the more chance they're gonna put out a statement to shut us up haha. I think they do have the commentary done anyway ready for any releases, though I do hope they continue the rest of the DVD's, it would be silly to not because it'll only have fans demanding again and the DVD's are successful too so it's not like they're losing out, I think it's just a case of they don't need it however if Disney have taken over it might be a good idea for Fox to milk it and get what they can before Disney take the rights.

It would be nice to have a couple a year I think to catch up but obviously there is production and things that it's probably going to take them time but like I say, it would make sense for Fox to get what they can while they have the rights still, unless of course Disney have only taken the likeness and Fox are still owning the back catalogue, it all depends on the deal I guess.

You can contact them here though if you like, see what they say: https://www.foxtv.co.uk/contact

Hopefully we'll get an update soon

I'm hoping they'll continue now that they went ahead and released Season 18. I know physical media is somewhat passe, but I'm kind of a completionist when it comes to these things, and I'd like to complete the collection. Also, living in Australia obviously limits access to streaming options with commentary and other bonus features that I could readily have on hand with DVDs, so that's another reason I'd like to have more sets.
    A little less Generic than before.

I'm exactly the same, I honestly think there is a misconception in regards to physical media you know, more people than we realise actually prefer this over digital media as it feels like you're not really buying anything with digital purchases, probably cause you have nothing to hold in your hand plus with digital media too it can be easily lost and become incompatible and all sorts of things, I'm the same with it, I very very rarely buy anything digitally cause I just don't like it, I don't mind the odd song on iTunes but even then I'd rather buy the CD as it feels like you're getting value for your money with the CD, artwork etc... I think it's just a way of them making more money with less production costs more than anything, but they still profit massively with physical media.

Also, look at how much physical media is coming back big time, vinyls for example have recently started to be released again as it's just come so massively popular which again just shows that although digital media seems to be the thing now, it's not actually as preferable as many think, the same with DVD's I think, I'm pretty sure Fox have made a lot more from releasing The Simpsons on DVD now as I know in the UK season 18 was quite high on Amazon during it's initial release and the pre orders and I'm sure in Australia it did well too and other places cause The Simpsons is huge all over still.

Yeah, I think unless you're in the US we're all in the same boat, it's so hard to get hold of the new series unless you catch them on TV which people need to have a Sky subscription too for the most recent episodes (though to be fair Channel 4, which is a regular channel are pretty good with the new seasons now too though it's Sky who get them first). I was looking at Simpsons World on Youtube as I was interested to see what it looked like, there's not much around really which is surprising though I did find this.

I was wondering how much it cost for them to get Simpsons World too, I can't seem to find anything about the costs of it really and the website just says it's not available in the UK, still, as mentioned above even though people in the US get this available I'm sure they too still want the physical DVD's regardless, I'd be pretty pissed off if they gave us Simpsons World and just said "Here have that instead of the DVD's" cause as mentioned above, I'm not a fan of buying digital media, it doesn't feel like you're getting anything really as opposed to actually owning the DVD's which you can keep.

8. Thumbs Up To This Post by: $impson

I think physical media still has its place, too. Aside from the satisfaction of holding a product in your hands, it's practical when your connection is slow, metered, or having problems, or as noted, when a service isn't available to you at all. Digital has its advantages and I've certainly gravitated in that direction for gaming (particularly PC, where it's more frequently becoming the only option for some releases) and it is convenient for TV and movies as well, but physical media is convenient in other ways...at least for those of us outside the US.

Yeah definitely, it's clear it does because of demand for it and the fact that the demand must be big enough for them to release them too when they're trying to move to digital media, like I was saying with vinyl, they're not going to release vinyl and put it through all the production costs unless the demand was big enough and a bit more as vinyl is quite expensive to manufacture, same with the DVD's (which aren't as expensive as vinyl to make) and yeah you're completely right about connection problems too which can be a problem for many people, it's not as ideal as people think but it is cheap to do.

I get it when they want to release through digital media cause it makes them a lot more money but part of me thinks it's a bit lazy and maybe a bit greedy, specially for big companies who literally have thousands, for a small independent company sure but even then when you look at film and independent film companies even they go to the extent of releasing on DVD as opposed to just downloads on Amazon, iTunes or whatever as they know there's obviously a market for it and it's profitable, so if small film can do this and make money then big companies can definitely do it, specially with a franchise like The Simpsons. I think it's just easier for them to not and that's all it is cause physical media does definitely have a market and it probably always will.

Gaming I agree, I was going to mention that cause with my PS4 I don't mind getting games digitally simply because it's easier with selecting games as opposed to changing discs, the only downside with that is hard drive space and of course when a new console comes out and they don't have backwards compatibility but that's a different story lol

It's also bad if all of a sudden they take the game out of the store, like Out Run, I think that game was licenced to Ferrari and they took the game off the store due to the deal expiring and not being renewed so if you deleted the game or got a new console as a replacement, you couldn't get the game back, so that was quite bad but I do agree that with games it's more of an advantage to some degree.

I think digital media is just a way they want to go cause it's cheaper but people still want physical media and they're going to for a long time, I mean look at how they monetise from Youtube and things like that, they're making tons for basically nothing because they have no production costs but not everybody wants that.

There will always be a demand for physical media, specially for a good while anyway.

Oh, hard drive space is a pain when it comes to PS4. Good thing external drives are an option.

It should be noted that vinyl offers an advantage in terms of audio quality which is why it has an enduring popularity and has made a comeback. With DVDs and Blu-Rays vs digital media, there's no advantage in the quality of the media itself, perhaps just the convenience depending on your location and connection quality/Internet plan. But yeah, people still do have a fondness for physical media.

Yeah, I was actually looking at that a bit back in regards to the PS4 as didn't they do an update recently that supported it more, I'm sure there was something where an update was done and so many people were like "Finally", the only thing I hear of now is the fact that it doesn't play audio CD's, it'll play Blu Ray's, DVD's but not CD's lol I don't think it's overly important though but it's just one of those things where people have been like "How come they haven't done an update for this" lol

Yeah I know, there is something really authentic about vinyl, but still, the demand is there for physical media more than was expected, I think they wanted the public to move forward to digital media much more than they did and it shows really with all the popular shows, I mean look at Walking Dead and things like that, they're always released on DVD and at quite high prices too at first yet they sell straight away and that's cause most people do prefer physical media, of course many do like the digital thing but there's still a lot that seem to want the physical media too and I get that really.

That's why I say, even in the US with access to Simpsons World there's no doubt fans that are pissed off with the DVD's being discontinued, and rightly so cause consumers should have the choice, specially when the demand is clearly there

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Related but unrelated, Wii Shop closes in 2019 and you won't be able to add points to your account next month. I know it's not a streaming service, but it's a sign that digital services are not forever. Delete a game and want to download it again? Tough luck. Simpsons World is a great service, but it should never be the only way to watch episodes with commentary what with regional limitations, varying internet speeds and the possibility that it could (and definitely will) go offline someday.
    UP AND ATOM!

Oh, that's good info actually, I had no idea but it's not surprising. This is what I mean about digital media though, although I'm not totally against it (as mentioned previously it can be favourable at times) but there are so many things within it that isn't great really such as what you mentioned about the game being deleted, plus how consoles move on, it's not long that they are compatible or we have them with digital media, at least with a physical item it's ours for as long as we keep it for and it's always compatible with players. It's a bit like Windows on a computer, how many times have you bought a game or some software that you've loved yet after a while can no longer use it cause you're pretty much pushed to upgrade your Windows and then it's not compatible, they eventually stop supporting previous versions of Windows and things stop being made for them so you do have to eventually move on to a new Windows at some point, at least with a DVD player or a vinyl, CD, whatever .... it's not like that and you have it more long term, plus you have the actual item in hand.

I completely agree with the Simpsons World shouldn't be the only way for you guys to watch, you should have the choice as the consumer I feel. Just because they decide to put something out digitally doesn't mean they should take it away from those who don't want to purchase digital content, as mentioned above it's harder for us when not in the US cause we don't have that either but I feel the same in regards to being in the US. If I was in the US and they said "We're stopping DVD's now but here's Simpsons World" that would piss me off.

I get it how technology advances but there's a difference when there is still a huge handful of people who don't want to stop having physical media, it's a little different in regards to a TV technology or something like that which is needed to support better quality products.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Squid View Post
    Related but unrelated, Wii Shop closes in 2019 and you won't be able to add points to your account next month. I know it's not a streaming service, but it's a sign that digital services are not forever. Delete a game and want to download it again? Tough luck. Simpsons World is a great service, but it should never be the only way to watch episodes with commentary what with regional limitations, varying internet speeds and the possibility that it could (and definitely will) go offline someday.
    Excellent point. With services being shut down, or simply losing the rights to certain shows, they're potentially less stable options.

Wrote the book on flimflammin Grifty McGrift's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I skimmed through the posts so it's obviously already been said; but they're probably just for Simpsons World, but will be used if they continue the DVD's, provided season 18 does well in sales. I did my part and order it on release day. I was actually gonna order something else the day before, but realized that season 18 came out the next day, so I just waited and ordered them together.

Yeah, well the DVD did well in the UK, I remember it was pretty high up on the pre orders and it sold quite well, I'm sure it did in other places too as their fanbase is strong everywhere. I pre ordered it also and was well made up when I received it

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

I wish services that sell digital files offered DVD image files as a download option. I know places like iTunes never will, but a service like Rifftrax (the MST3K guys) have an excellent method where you purchase riffed movies digitally and they instantly appear in your digital library. You can watch the video on their site, you can download a digital file in a variety of options (file types and sizes) and even download a DVD image to burn to disc.

I guess piracy is a concern there, but that'd definitely be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Mícheál View Post
    I opened up Twitter just now, and noticed this tweet that Al Jean liked:

The Tweet was from Matthew Schofield, who says that he recorder commentary this week for a THOH episode that he directed with Mike B. Anderson.

I looked up the episodes that these guys directed, and I think the episode they're talking about is the THOH XX.

That episode is from season 21, so its looking like they're doing commentary in preparation for more Season DVD releases.
    I hope that this does not mean they will be skipping a proper season 20 re-release. There is a listing on amazon.com for that season with a promo picture of Moe which would have us logically expecting a re-release.

I have decided that if season 20 is skipped, I'm not buying anything past that.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Squid View Post
    I wish services that sell digital files offered DVD image files as a download option. I know places like iTunes never will, but a service like Rifftrax (the MST3K guys) have an excellent method where you purchase riffed movies digitally and they instantly appear in your digital library. You can watch the video on their site, you can download a digital file in a variety of options (file types and sizes) and even download a DVD image to burn to disc.
    Yeah, I'd still prefer the actual disc to be honest with the artwork and things, plus having to buy blank DVD's but for someone who would buy digital files this would be a great idea!!

Quote Originally Posted by biffwestwood View Post
    I hope that this does not mean they will be skipping a proper season 20 re-release. There is a listing on amazon.com for that season with a promo picture of Moe which would have us logically expecting a re-release.

I have decided that if season 20 is skipped, I'm not buying anything past that.
    I think that's just for the download version you can buy isn't it?

Blog Entries

I don't really care about the seasons after 20, maybe I'll rent them if they ever see the light of day. But I'm curious about season 19, because at the time it was my favorite post classic season, and it's been a while since I've seen most of the episodes so I'm interested in how they hold up, if at all

Oh I do, I just hope they release season 20 properly though, I want to have all the seasons when the show has finished and be able to complete them, it's not so much of being a completest for me it's just that I really do want the whole Simpsons seasons so hopefully they'll release them at some point

Blog Entries

Aside from a few episodes I all but stopped watching around season 23, so it would be really weird to buy seasons where I've only seen a handful of episodes. That said, I do want to have someday seen every episode, so...

In regards to season 20, I can't see them not rereleasing it, mostly just because it's so weird that there's a season of The Simpsons out with NO bonus Features, especially since it's one of the only shows that does audio commentaries for every single episode. Only time will tell of course.

Yeah, probably if you got the DVD's after those seasons you'd probably enjoy them in regards to being able to go through them and have them, quite possibly you'll find you'll be glad to have them if you get what I mean, I mean, we can all have favourable seasons and where we feel the show is at his strong point, which is fair enough, the same if people aren't a fan of the show in it's recent seasons as much too is absolutely fair enough though I feel that having them, even in their weaker seasons will just be great to have cause we can always find which one's to enjoy anyway and there's usually episodes too, alongside with the extra's and the commentary on these seasons could be quite interesting cause maybe they feel that the show was losing it's momentum during certain seasons which they might talk about

Yeah, the season 20 release is a weird one, the fact it has no extra's just seems like they released it for some anniversary reasons, it's also not officially released in the UK so the region 2 version of the release is imported from somewhere I believe, not sure which country officially got the region 2 season 20 DVD released but it wasn't the UK, so it does just need to be released properly I think, which hopefully they will do soon

I do wish Fox would give an update in regards to season 19 though, they've had over the Christmas period and the past month or so too to see the results and I know that it did do well on Amazon UK, bare in mind that it's not only Amazon that sold the DVD so it's even more so than that but they are the leading company now and it was doing really well on there at one point, it definitely wasn't a failure anyway as it was quite high up on the pre orders and was also doing well in certain category's for the DVD too.

Blog Entries

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

I was reding a recent interview with Al Jean, and he was asked about possible further Simpsons Music Albums:

Well, the problem is that there aren’t any albums period released. We might, but it was hard enough to get a Season 18 DVD released. My biggest intent is to concentrate on getting a Season 19 DVD out.
    So looks like we'll be getting more DVD releases in the future.

Side note. Jean said this about a possible new album:

Believe me, I will tell Fox. Right after the Season 19 DVD, I’ll ask for that to be the next thing.
    Another album would be good, but I'd much rather the DVDs. Simpsons Sing the Blues was the only Album that I thought was really great to be honest.

Yeah, hopefully they'll do this then, I know Al really did work hard and push this for the season 18 DVD and it wasn't easy for him. I think people forget that they want the show out there for the fans too, I know how passionate they are for the fans and the show and them getting what they want (which is why it annoys me when people say they're just keeping the show going for money), they are really passionate about their show and rightly so when they've had this for 30 years. It's down to Fox really if they're happy with the sales and there's really no reason why they shouldn't be as it did well here in the UK and I'm sure it did just as good, if not better in other countries too so it's not like it wasn't a success.

Besides, they'll just have all the fans on to them again so it's easier if they do haha. That said, I do wonder about this Disney takeover too as we have no idea if they've taken the back catalogue or just the likenesses for future endorsements.

I do wish Fox would give us an update in regards to their Season 18 release and if a Season 19 will be coming, I kinda wonder if they've even decided themselves, I dunno.

About the CD, yeah I'm the same really, the DVD's are the most important by far, though if an album comes then great.

28. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Mícheál

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steamed Mr Bergstrom View Post
    Yeah, hopefully they'll do this then, I know Al really did work hard and push this for the season 18 DVD and it wasn't easy for him. I think people forget that they want the show out there for the fans too, I know how passionate they are for the fans and the show and them getting what they want (which is why it annoys me when people say they're just keeping the show going for money), they are really passionate about their show and rightly so when they've had this for 30 years.
    I agree. I definitely think that money isn't their main priority at the Simpsons team, and that they're genuinely trying (and I stress the word "trying") to do stuff with the fans in mind.

The biggest example of the writers and showrunners not cashing in, I think, comes with their views on The Simpsons Movie. They could have thrown something together in the 90's with Kamp Krusty, like James L. Brooks suggested, but the writers new there wasn't enough material to make the movie good. And also, since the release of The Simpsons Movie, they have had ideas for a sequel, but Al Jean has shot most of them down over the years.

For example, The Man Who came to Be dinner was apparently held for a few years as a possible movie idea, but they decided not to go ahead with it (thank god). And Jean said recently that they still talk about a sequel, but he said that there's no need to make another movie unless the story is really great.

Promising news. I'd like to keep collecting the seasons for the sake of completion, and get a special edition of Season 20 to make up for the previous lacklustre release, but at least with Season 19, the full first 20 seasons would be available on physical media. Hope it doesn't stop there, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mícheál View Post
    I agree. I definitely think that money isn't their main priority at the Simpsons team, and that they're genuinely trying (and I stress the word "trying") to do stuff with the fans in mind.

The biggest example of the writers and showrunners not cashing in, I think, comes with their views on The Simpsons Movie. They could have thrown something together in the 90's with Kamp Krusty, like James L. Brooks suggested, but the writers new there wasn't enough material to make the movie good. And also, since the release of The Simpsons Movie, they have had ideas for a sequel, but Al Jean has shot most of them down over the years.

For example, The Man Who came to Be dinner was apparently held for a few years as a possible movie idea, but they decided not to go ahead with it (thank god). And Jean said recently that they still talk about a sequel, but he said that there's no need to make another movie unless the story is really great.
    Yep, I've always said that about The Simpsons Movie when people knock the show, they could have done that in 1990 or something and just thrown any movie out there on the hype of the show but they didn't, they waited until 2007 before they even released a movie which goes to show, regardless of what people say I really do feel they care about the show a lot and the fans too, it's like a good little community kinda thing, a family sort of.

They would have been capable of putting a good movie together in 1990 I'm sure, I mean Beavis and Butthead Do America was great off the back of that show if you've seen that? and South Park's movie wasn't too bad either, although Beavis and Butthead was released at the back end of 1996, and the show was from 1993 - 1997, so they didn't really rush it either though of course they stopped around that time so it all tied in where as The Simpsons have been constantly going.

Quote Originally Posted by Generic View Post
    Promising news. I'd like to keep collecting the seasons for the sake of completion, and get a special edition of Season 20 to make up for the previous lacklustre release, but at least with Season 19, the full first 20 seasons would be available on physical media. Hope it doesn't stop there, though.

I hope so too with this, the season 20 release doesn't even feel like a proper release to me, for us to get it in the UK it's an import version that happens to be region 2. Not sure where the initial release was but it doesn't really feel like a full release to be honest cause of that too, as well as the lack of extra's etc... it had. It needs to be released properly really

32. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Mícheál

Just got this email from Fox @Mícheál, I wouldn't take much notice of it really as it's probably someone replying who doesn't really know and is quite a generic answer though it doesn't look like there's any definite plans for season 19 just yet.

Thank you for your email and interest in Fox products. At this time, we do not have any information on the release of this title on Blu-ray/DVD. We appreciate your comments.
    Should you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you,
    Fox Customer Care
    You can contact them here if you like, just scroll to the bottom. It makes sense for them to release it so the demand needs to be there still: https://www.foxmovies.com/

34. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Mícheál

I just caught up on the DVD/BRD release hoopla. I was bummed they stopped but here's hoping they just keep on with commentary in some form!

At this point I'd legit subscribe to Simpsons World if they opened it up to all users. (Though that content will probably just get rolled up into Disney's streaming service.)

Thread Information