Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Simpsons: Movie Blu-Ray Problems

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

The Simpsons: Movie Blu-Ray Problems

Does anyone here have a working copy of The Simpsons Movie on Blu-Ray?
    After I made the post a couple weeks ago about season 18, I decided to throw in my copy of the Simpsons movie on Blu-Ray and watch it. I hadnít watched it in years.
    I love the seasons so much more for some reason.
    Anyway, when I tried to watch the Blu-Ray it automatically said ĎError: Cannot Operate This Discí.
    Itís flawless, no scratches whatsoever, Iíve probably only watched it 3 times since Iíve owned it.
    I also own the DVD, luckily. It still plays fine.
    Ironically I just bought the DVD to put on my shelf with my seasons so it would fit in, because the Blu-Ray case was too small.
    So Iíve actually never watched the DVD up until a couple weeks ago.
    I decided to pick up the Blu-Ray again on eBay. I found one used for $12 in a lot with 3 other movies I didnít have so I bought it.
    Out of all 4 Blu-Rays, the Simpsons Blu-Ray was the only one that wouldnít play!
    The disc was also like new, no scratches whatsoever.
    I just kept the Blu-Rays because it really isnít the sellerís fault.
    Something odd though, this second Blu-Ray sometimes loads up on my Sony Blu-Ray player as a ĎData BDí.
    When I go into the ĎStreamí folder, it will let me select the .M2TS files, but it doesnít play any of them at all.

I decided to buy a brand new copy and it arrived today. Same exact problem.
    The disc wonít even load, I literally opened this one out of the shrinkwrap and put the disc in my Blu-Ray player, and it said the same exact thing.
    So this is the 3rd copy Iíve bought that doesnít work now.
    The DVD plays fine, but the Blu-Rays seem to be bad.
    I found this post from 2017, so Iím guessing Iím not alone: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...lu-ray.659139/

Iím curious if anyone actually has a working copy?
    Or is there a Blu-Ray release that doesnít have ĎDisc Rotí?
    I tried all 3 discs out on 4 different Blu-Ray players, my PS4 and my PCís Blu-Ray Burner.
    I thought at least my PC would load one of them, but it just sits there acting like itís going to load but it doesnít do anything.

I wouldíve liked to watch the movie in HD, but I guess Iím just stuck with the DVD in this case.
    I have experienced this problem with other Blu-Rays, just to name a few,

House Of 1000 Corpses - Went through 2 copies on Blu-Ray, the first copy wouldnít play at all, the second copy plays, but it skips quite a bit close to the end of the movie. Both discs are totally scratch free. Have it on DVD too, no problems with the DVD.
    The Devilís Rejects - Skips all over the place in the middle until the end. Also have this on DVD and there are no problems with the DVD.
    Rambo Boxset - Parts 1 & 2 barely play at all, but part 3 plays. I donít own the DVD.

The one thing those have in common is the fact that theyíre all older releases, and they are also all Lionsgate releases.
    I think the older Lionsgate Blu-Rays are infamous for having problems.
    Iím just curious if anyone else has experienced problems with their Simpsons Movie Blu-Ray? Iíve considered upgrading the TV seasons on Blu-Ray, but if theyíre just going to start rotting in a couple years like the movie Blu-Rays have seemed to, I guess Iíll pass on them.
    Iím not trying to be a downer or anything, Iím just wondering if I order the European copy or the Australian copy, it might actually work. I prefer the Blu-Ray over the DVD.

If anyone has any information on this, Iíd seriously appreciate it!

A lot of movie companies make Blu-rays with a set death date on them so you have to buy a new copy whenever an anniversary release happens, similar to how computer warranties expire the day before the set death date.

You're BoJack Horseman, no cure for that.

That really sucks, I guess backups aren’t a bad idea then. I just never thought to backup something that’s so common.

Birthplace of the Flaming Moe Welcome to Moe's's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EvilDead87 View Post
    Does anyone here have a working copy of The Simpsons Movie on Blu-Ray?
    After I made the post a couple weeks ago about season 18, I decided to throw in my copy of the Simpsons movie on Blu-Ray and watch it. I hadnít watched it in years.
    I love the seasons so much more for some reason.
    Anyway, when I tried to watch the Blu-Ray it automatically said ĎError: Cannot Operate This Discí.
    Itís flawless, no scratches whatsoever, Iíve probably only watched it 3 times since Iíve owned it.
    I also own the DVD, luckily. It still plays fine.
    Ironically I just bought the DVD to put on my shelf with my seasons so it would fit in, because the Blu-Ray case was too small.
    So Iíve actually never watched the DVD up until a couple weeks ago.
    I decided to pick up the Blu-Ray again on eBay. I found one used for $12 in a lot with 3 other movies I didnít have so I bought it.
    Out of all 4 Blu-Rays, the Simpsons Blu-Ray was the only one that wouldnít play!
    The disc was also like new, no scratches whatsoever.
    I just kept the Blu-Rays because it really isnít the sellerís fault.
    Something odd though, this second Blu-Ray sometimes loads up on my Sony Blu-Ray player as a ĎData BDí.
    When I go into the ĎStreamí folder, it will let me select the .M2TS files, but it doesnít play any of them at all.

I decided to buy a brand new copy and it arrived today. Same exact problem.
    The disc wonít even load, I literally opened this one out of the shrinkwrap and put the disc in my Blu-Ray player, and it said the same exact thing.
    So this is the 3rd copy Iíve bought that doesnít work now.
    The DVD plays fine, but the Blu-Rays seem to be bad.
    I found this post from 2017, so Iím guessing Iím not alone: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...lu-ray.659139/

Iím curious if anyone actually has a working copy?
    Or is there a Blu-Ray release that doesnít have ĎDisc Rotí?
    I tried all 3 discs out on 4 different Blu-Ray players, my PS4 and my PCís Blu-Ray Burner.
    I thought at least my PC would load one of them, but it just sits there acting like itís going to load but it doesnít do anything.

I wouldíve liked to watch the movie in HD, but I guess Iím just stuck with the DVD in this case.
    I have experienced this problem with other Blu-Rays, just to name a few,

House Of 1000 Corpses - Went through 2 copies on Blu-Ray, the first copy wouldnít play at all, the second copy plays, but it skips quite a bit close to the end of the movie. Both discs are totally scratch free. Have it on DVD too, no problems with the DVD.
    The Devilís Rejects - Skips all over the place in the middle until the end. Also have this on DVD and there are no problems with the DVD.
    Rambo Boxset - Parts 1 & 2 barely play at all, but part 3 plays. I donít own the DVD.

The one thing those have in common is the fact that theyíre all older releases, and they are also all Lionsgate releases.
    I think the older Lionsgate Blu-Rays are infamous for having problems.
    Iím just curious if anyone else has experienced problems with their Simpsons Movie Blu-Ray? Iíve considered upgrading the TV seasons on Blu-Ray, but if theyíre just going to start rotting in a couple years like the movie Blu-Rays have seemed to, I guess Iíll pass on them.
    Iím not trying to be a downer or anything, Iím just wondering if I order the European copy or the Australian copy, it might actually work. I prefer the Blu-Ray over the DVD.

If anyone has any information on this, Iíd seriously appreciate it!
    I have The Simpsons Movie on Blu Ray and have watched it loads of times perfectly fine, in fact I play the Blu Ray version more than the DVD simply because it looks stunning and the vibrancy of it as well as the audio is just unreal, I find it really impressive on Blu Ray which I didn't expect it to be much different at first from the DVD but it really is, hence why it's always the Blu Ray that I put on when watching the movie.

I am of course in the UK so whether it's a region thing I'm not sure but I usually use the PS4 too and it's perfectly fine on there, never an issue with it. I hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Startug View Post
    A lot of movie companies make Blu-rays with a set death date on them so you have to buy a new copy whenever an anniversary release happens, similar to how computer warranties expire the day before the set death date.
    I've never heard of that?? I know the digital codes that come with it expire but not the actual disc stop playing?

'"Uh, Hugh Jass! D'oh, somebody check the men's room for a Hugh Jass"

Fun fact, this site has a death date as well but it correllates with the cancellation of The Simpsons, so we use the FFA to keep as irrelevant as possible

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That really sucks, I guess backups aren’t a bad idea then. I just never thought to backup something that’s so common.

The only thing I can think of is you might have a really old Blu-ray player and the copyright protection is messing up though software inside the player.

I've honestly never had luck playing Blu-ray on my PC. There is a codec out there for VLC, but couldn't get it to work properly on my end. Not sure where the problems exist.

Blog Entries

It's not Blu Ray rot, or a conspiracy theory, the Simpsons Movie had been causing problems on some blu ray players since 2007. After reading some of the experiences people have talked about, the problem is most likely the copy protection screwing with your player. The only thing you can do is check to see if the firmware is up to date and if it is, turn off the BD+ live. If you try both of these, the disc's copy protection is incompatible with your player's firmware profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Startug View Post
    Not sure if you're having a laugh or not, but this is not true whatsoever. Imagine the uproar, class actions, etc if this were true.
    Last edited by Zeus; Today at 12:00 PM. Reason: to fuck with you

Wrote the book on flimflammin Grifty McGrift's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Welcome to Moe's View Post
    I have The Simpsons Movie on Blu Ray and have watched it loads of times perfectly fine, in fact I play the Blu Ray version more than the DVD simply because it looks stunning and the vibrancy of it as well as the audio is just unreal, I find it really impressive on Blu Ray which I didn't expect it to be much different at first from the DVD but it really is, hence why it's always the Blu Ray that I put on when watching the movie.
    Is the BluRay worth it? I've honestly never watched a Blu Ray in my life but the movie is only 6 pounds so why not, and I'll be seeing it soon again as I'm rewatching the show.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grifty McGrift View Post
    Is the BluRay worth it? I've honestly never watched a Blu Ray in my life but the movie is only 6 pounds so why not, and I'll be seeing it soon again as I'm rewatching the show.
    IMO, if it’s on a 40 inch or larger TV you’ll definitely notice the difference. Anything smaller, not really.
    Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

I tried watching a new episode the Simpsons, but I realized the show hit a new low, like a brand new, underground parking structure of sadness.

Blog Entries

just download an hd copy for free on the internet

Blog Entries

better yet don't waste your time watching it at all
    Fuck Donald Trump. #NotMyPresident

Blog Entries

I usually do not considering watching something I enjoy to be a waste but thanks.

Blog Entries

No imagination needed here

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    just download an hd copy for free on the internet
    no promating piracy

17. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Startug

Blog Entries

what are you gonna do ban me

Blog Entries

never

Birthplace of the Flaming Moe Welcome to Moe's's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grifty McGrift View Post
    Yeah, 100%, I'm not even joking but when I got the Blu Ray I couldn't believe how awesome it looked! It's kinda hard to explain but it's just so much more vibrant, clear, good, sounds great, just everything it's really good, I was really impressed with it big time!!!

I didn't expect to really see much difference cause I thought with it being animated the DVD is going to be just as good anyway but it really is worth having, if I watch the movie now it's always the Blu Ray, I never put the DVD in anymore as it's just so good on the Blu Ray version, I was massively impressed and still am!!

As @Patches O'houlihan says, the TV size might make a difference but I watched it on a TV over 50" and I have a really good sound bar too but it really does look absolutely lovely!!!

I hope this helps

Blog Entries

Dunno about them inches but my TV is 100 cm.
    It's not that I don't believe you, but I still have that mindset "how much of a difference could actually it make?" I know it matters a lot for live action or CGI movies, but I can't imagine 2D movies get better quality besides sharper and clearer lines.

Blog Entries

Isn't the blu-ray presented in widescreen rather than the DVD's poorly cropped full screen? That alone would make it acceptable for purchase.

Blog Entries

Uh, what do you mean? The DVD isn't cropped.

Blog Entries

Unless there's a widescreen version of the dvd that I'm unaware of, the entire movie you're not seeing the full picture. For example, in the free donuts scene, the car's sun visor is near completely off-frame (which I always found distracting) whereas if you watch in widescreen, you can actually see Homer pull it down when looking for his phone. There's instances in Moe's bar where the full screen version pans itself to compensate in order to allow the scene to work, but for the most part, the full screen version proves to be oddly framed.

Again, I may have mistakenly assumed that the blu-ray was the only way to get the movie on widescreen though.

Blog Entries

This is from my DVD

Blog Entries

nice gamer girl pee

27. Thumbs Up To This Post by: cam

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz123 View Post
    Unless there's a widescreen version of the dvd that I'm unaware of, the entire movie you're not seeing the full picture.
    It's available on DVD (in the US) as both cropped and widescreen.

Blog Entries

Interesting. I got the full screen version on dvd as a gift upon its initial release and could have sworn there was some big fuss over there never being a widescreen version. My mistake, but I'll likely replace it on blu-ray regardless when I get the chance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    nice gamer girl pee
    I intentionally did not move it for the picture cause I knew someone would comment. Alas, it has been emptied and filled with 7up cause I prefer drinking from a can rather than the bottle.

Blog Entries

lol thats some serial killer shit

Blog Entries

Drinking soda... From a can?

Thread Information