View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

7 25.00%
  • 4/5

10 35.71%
  • 3/5

7 25.00%
  • 2/5

2 7.14%
  • 1/5

2 7.14%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rate & Review: "E My Sports" (YABF09)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I'm kind on the fence with this one, but here I go:

It was nice to see Homer and Bart bond over something. It was nice to see Bart succeed at something. The writers had a thing here and could have knocked it out of the park but they basically fuck over Bart again. There was no reason they could not have let him win. Its basically him dropping the ball again and everyone mad at him. It wasn't even his fault. I just don't know why they can't make or let Bart a hero. It is like they want him to be a failure. Basically his team was winning and Homer had to mess it up. He has some Zen experience, think he's Buddha and needs to force everyone into his experience. Homer's picture of Zen is a beer and a sprinkle donut.

Which leaves me into the plot jump that has no point of being there, Lisa. There was no reason for Lisa's story except to go to the Buddhist temple. Daddy is paying to much attention to Bart and she feels left out. So she guilts her parents to take her to Korea. Homer didn't need to have Lisa there to screw everything up for the team. Although, I do question how would Homer be allowed near the power box?

So it started great (4/5) and ending crap (2/5). 3/5
    Homer no function beer well without.

Quote Originally Posted by HitoftheMillennium View Post
    I didn't like that Homer ruined the match. I'm not a Buddhist. I much prefer the ending of Saddlesore Gallactica because he tells his son to win. Strive to win, damnit! To hell with this pansy Nihilistic ending.
    Do it for your old man.

I'd have to agree with the crowd on this one.

There was a lot of potential for the writers to really bungle the eSports stuff, snarking at a current trend while also trying to be cool and "with it"; essentially, a bizarre mix of "Old Man Yells At Cloud" and "Homer in a Rastafarian hat", which I feel describes their approach to a lot of modern trends and pop culture. Instead, they were quite accurate and respectful, while also poking some fun. What could've been grumpy bashing of the latest "new rock and roll" was instead a fair portrayal that had some good-natured jabs and observations, and so much the better.

I think one of my favourite parts was when The Detonator handed Marge the card. I used to work for a local Internet provider and there was one guy who always came in and paid his bill over the counter in cash, but he never spoke (nor removed his sunglasses); just showed us a card with his username on it. That scene really reminded me of that guy, and established The Detonator's personality. I thought the scenes with him explaining techniques, losing his "edge", and giving in to a life of a mundane 9-to-5 were all quite well done, further emphasising how seriously eSports competitors take things.

Obviously, Homer taking an interest in Bart and spending time with him was nice, even as he fell victim to the appeal of living through his son's success. I actually enjoyed the musical number, even though it's something they have gone to a few too many times in recent years. I was wondering if a LaVar Ball caricature would show up during his dream, and I wasn't disappointed. I do feel like that's where the conflict of the episode should've come from, though. Much like his feeling spurned by Bart wanting to drive Martin's car in "Saturdays of Thunder" or using Lisa in "Lisa the Greek" to gamble and placing too much emphasis on that over simply enjoying spending time with her, it could've and should've been the wedge that came between them: Homer being all about the glory and the money, Bart loving the competitive aspect of it and being pushed too hard. On one hand, it was nice that Homer didn't become that person/parent/coach, but it also missed an ideal source of conflict.

And that brings us to the ending, which was definitely rushed and weak. Ultimately, it is Homer who's at fault as it wasn't Lisa's intention for him to go and do that. More than that, the body governing the tournament is at fault for cancelling the whole thing because of a power failure. I recently re-watched "There's Something About Marrying", and I'm reminded of the exchange in that episode where Lisa notes it's the end of Homer performing marriages when Patty's wedding falls apart, and Bart asks "Why?". That was a funny nod to the necessary return to status quo, but here, we just got jerked back to the status quo. I think it would've been more effective if Bart and his friends had lost the tournament and been incredibly bummed, only for Homer to comfort them with what he'd learned at the Buddhist temple. That was a huge missed opportunity.

As written though, it does invite criticism, and unfortunately feeds into the Lisa hate. I'm certainly not going to defend the hateful rhetoric posted elsewhere, nor jump on the "I Hate Lisa" bandwagon because I definitely don't - indeed, she's the character I could identify with a lot growing up - but the mishandling of her plot and its connection to Bart's story does unintentionally put her in a less than sympathetic light. Her plot kind of gets shoehorned into the episode and the role it plays in the conclusion, and it leads to another situation where Bart is dumped on while Lisa gets what she wants. There have been quite a few episodes where that happens, or Bart gets what he wants while Lisa is left miserable, which gives us the rather depressing dynamic than one of the elder Simpson kids has to suffer for the other one to be happy, or at least, they can't both be happy in the same episode.

It also doesn't help that Homer got dragged along to the Buddhist temple when he was over there in the capacity of Bart's coach; that was his responsibility over there. Again, it's on him, but there's the implication that Lisa insisted/threw a tantrum to make him come along with her and Marge. She's only eight of course, and it's ultimately his decision to abandon Bart like that (and sabotage the competition), so it's not fair to pin it all on Lisa, and hating her for it would definitely be an extreme reaction that likely has a lot of other unfortunate reasoning behind it. As I said though, as written, she comes off less sympathetic than she should be, as an episode about Bart being good at something kind of ends up being about her and her dreams. I'd have to agree that this could've been a two-parter or double length episode, because it tried to cram a lot into the second half, meaning one resolution had to come at the expense of another to wrap everything up within the run time.

Again, I'd have preferred it if Bart had lost simply because the Brazilian team was better, and Homer comforted him with what he'd learned at the temple. It would've tied the plots together better, not had one of the kids' plots be resolved at the expense of the other, and not have Homer or Lisa looking as bad, especially since the latter is more the case of sloppy writing than anything she actually intentionally did. It would've been good if more was made of the whole event being cancelled because of the power outage, and what a ridiculous cop out that was by the organisers. Maybe there could've been a joke about not being able to deliver the prize money, or the prize being stolen. In fact, that might've been a funny ending that preserves the status quo: Bart wins, but the prize money is stolen, so they get some crappy consolation prize. Once again, Homer could then impart that lesson he learned about material possessions, and the whole thing could've ended on less of a sour note. The story could've also begun on a less mean-spirited note, as we didn't need the family getting along great without Bart to set up the "Where's Bart?" question. The question could've simply been asked, leading into the same explanation that he's been "punished" with a new gaming system to keep him out of trouble.

Anyway, that's my take on the story. Fine beginning (Bart bashing aside), some good commentary on eSports and some interesting ideas and twists in the story, but a clunky ending that ended on a sour note.

I'm in two minds about the masturbation gag. It doesn't offend me, and this is the series that displayed the sign "Put your sperm in our hands" outside a sperm bank (and in the classic era, too), so it's not like risque humour is out of place on The Simpsons or something I don't enjoy. It did feel a bit like a forced attempt to be edgy though, and would've been more at home on Family Guy. Bart having the beginnings of a moustache was another one of those gags that makes me think the writers wish the kids were a bit older. That being said, Homer not being there for the trust exercise leading to Lenny falling right back down the stairs was pretty funny. As I noted, I enjoyed The Detonator's character and the way it reminded me of an odd fellow I used to see at my old job, Martin and Nelson's very different fantasies while everyone else thought about first prize were good, and the jokes about sports Dads living through their sons - though not exactly original - were on-point commentary. I also really liked Homer getting Marge on board with eSports, and the bit about the lack of uniforms making the team likeable underdogs. As a M*A*S*H fan, it was cool to hear that piano cover of "Suicide is Painless" over the riot scene, and Skinner not wanting to hand over the $1000 was another good gag. As I mentioned in the Season 30 thread, I also love the lack of imagination with the "Conflict of Enemies" name.

It's hard to overlook the ending because it was really mishandled, but for the most part, it was actually quite good. 3.5/5 which I'll round up to 4 for the poll as 3 feels too low, but like the Conflict of Enemies tournament, it couldn't quite make it over the finish line, fizzling to a stop.
    A little less Generic than before.

Actually an Esquilax Venomrabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The stolen bit is also a good point. I guess the point we can all take away is there was a hundred better ways to handle the ending than what felt like a deleted scene from Barthood.

5. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Beggs

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoskin View Post
    It was nice to see Homer and Bart bond over something. It was nice to see Bart succeed at something. The writers had a thing here and could have knocked it out of the park but they basically fuck over Bart again. There was no reason they could not have let him win. Its basically him dropping the ball again and everyone mad at him. It wasn't even his fault. I just don't know why they can't make or let Bart a hero. It is like they want him to be a failure. Basically his team was winning and Homer had to mess it up. He has some Zen experience, think he's Buddha and needs to force everyone into his experience. Homer's picture of Zen is a beer and a sprinkle donut.
    To be fair, the writing was on the wall that Bart's team would fail in their goal as soon as they attributed a stupidly large $500,000 prize to the winners. And, hey, if you want to see Bart claim an actual victory, I can always recommend a rewatch of There Will Be Buds. He's a lacrosse champion and no one can ever take that away from him.
    SEASON 30 RANKINGS
    Bart's Not Dead - 2.5/5 / Heartbreak Hotel - 1.5/5 / My Way or the Highway to Heaven - 3/5
    THOH XXIX = Intrusion of the Pod-Y Switchers - 1.5/5 / Multiplisaty - 2.5/5 / Geriatric Park - 2/5
    Baby You Can't Drive My Car - 2/5 / From Russia Without Love - 3.5/5 / Werking Mom - 3/5
    Krusty the Clown - 4/5 / Daddicus Finch - 5/5 / 'Tis the 30th Season - 2/5 / Mad About the Toy - 1.5/5
    The Girl on the Bus - 2/5 / I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can - 4.5/5 / The Clown Stays in the Picture - 1.5/5
    101 Mitigations - 3/5 / I Want You (She's So Heavy) - 1/5 / E My Sports - 3.5/5
    Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy - 4.5/5 / Girl's in the Band - 4/5 / I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh - 1/5
    D'oh Canada - 2.5/5 / Woo-hoo Dunnit? - 3.5/5 / Crystal Blue-Haired Persuasion - 1.5/5

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

I quite like the alternate version(s) of the ending @Beggs suggested (I like the concept of the other team just being better and that with the prize money being either stolen or unavailable). There were so many ways they could have made it work instead of going the seriously flawed and depressing ending they went with (and the finals being cancelled altogether instead of postponed due to the power outage was pretty stupid and made little sense, seeing as logically the latter should've happened, though that would've meant no over the top riot scene).

This was overall decent, even though it didn't quite stick the landing. Although the jokes about e-sports weren't stunningly fresh or anything, there weren't many gags that landed with a thud, except the very predictable masturbation joke. However, I agree the episode sort of crumbled when it became about Korea. It just felt like a retread of previous episodes, and the ending wasn't very satisfying. However, there were still some enjoyable moments, like the "Suicide is Painless" scene. I also didn't care for the bits about the sports dads, and their uninteresting song; it just seemed like padding to me. So overall, it's a flawed but passable episode, and one of the season's best by this point.

3/5

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    To be fair, the writing was on the wall that Bart's team would fail in their goal as soon as they attributed a stupidly large $500,000 prize to the winners. And, hey, if you want to see Bart claim an actual victory, I can always recommend a rewatch of There Will Be Buds. He's a lacrosse champion and no one can ever take that away from him.
    Good point, but still he always seems to come up second most of the time especially when it comes to Lisa. Would it be nice to see Bart win the tournament with his friends and the Asian kid, split the money and have Homer lose it all on a game of blackjack? Cause you know that money won't last unless Marge takes it and hides it from Homer. Hit me... 21. Hit me... 22... D'oh!

The only problem with There Will Be Buds is that it is a Kirk episode and he's he is kind of a dud. In life, marriage and even at work. Why the hell didn't he get his job back at the Cracker Factory or at least sue when they fired him for no reason? But that another story.

The $500,000 prize definitely writes them into a corner as far as having Bart win or lose, while retaining the status quo. Another option for having Bart win without winning the money would be to reveal it's actually $500,000 of in-game currency (and no one read the fine print), which would work as a commentary on microtransactions and their associated mechanics. Obviously you can't have Bart win the money, so there'd need to be some feasible and/or funny reason he doesn't end up with it, but still has the satisfaction of triumph. I suppose you could have one of the other kids cost him the team the victory (maybe Milhouse's replacement?) while Bart performs well so if nothing else, it can't be pinned on him.

Blog Entries

Well they also could have had them win, get the $500,000 but then Homer enters his zen state and "destroys" it by giving away the money, causing everyone to turn their ire to Homer, as opposed to shutting the thing down.

That could've worked as well.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

Come to think of it, I think this episode shows us the difference between the way an episode was thinked and the way it is written. I totally disagree with those who say Lisa is entirely responsible of what happened to Bart (though I actually think she had a part of responsability in some way but unintentionally - she just wanted to bond with her parents and about one thing she wanted to do - and obviously way smaller than Homer's), but with the way the writers shows Lisa's actions in this episode, I somehow understand why a lot of people give the blame and the reject only to Lisa. I mean, she literally screams to God to convince Marge to take her to South Korea, she had her happy diary in the basement which maybe shows that she can't be happy until she gets whatever she asked for, and she didn't, at least, apologized to Bart for causing what happened to him, even if it was inadvertedly and indirectly. And therefore, even if she wasn't really in the wrong, I guess the way Lisa is showed in this episode made think a lot of viewers she was the main responsible, while it was actually Homer's fault (he didn't apologized as well by the way... and Marge doesn't seems to care neither).

Pretty interesting in some way : in-universe, it's Bart who gets the blame for his father's actions. And in the reviews, it's Lisa who (mostly) gets the blame. And not Homer in both of the cases.

Like I said, had the writers really gone out their way to do a great job writing Lisa here as likeable and sympathetic it would have changed a lot and reviewers wouldn't have had any reason to blame her; heck, just remove (or tone down) her getting whiny and manipulative in that scene with Marge and make us understand her feelings and wishes, sympathize with her plight & have her saying a few kind words to Bart at the end instead of ignoring him would've been a significant improvement (though those die-hard Lisa haters would've found a way to hate, undoubtedly).

The writing and handling of the characters had a lot to answer for. Even if Bart was joining in with the other kids throwing stuff at Homer instead of being the target and bearing the brunt of the blame and disappointed anger, it would've been better because there'd at least be some catharsis in him annoying Homer and holding him responsible (and Homer not being able to object, because he absolutely deserves their ire). Lisa being a bit more openly sympathetic towards Bart would've helped as well.

Of course, it wouldn't have mattered to the crowd that simply despises Lisa, because they're going to feel that way no matter how good the writing is. However, it would be disingenuous to suggest that all the frustration and feeling that Lisa didn't come across as sympathetic as she should've comes down to hateful rhetoric; the writing shares in the responsibility for how she comes across, and given the depth of her character, it could've been a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E. the Brain View Post
    Come to think of it, I think this episode shows us the difference between the way an episode was thinked and the way it is written. I totally disagree with those who say Lisa is entirely responsible of what happened to Bart (though I actually think she had a part of responsability in some way but unintentionally - she just wanted to bond with her parents and about one thing she wanted to do - and obviously way smaller than Homer's), but with the way the writers shows Lisa's actions in this episode, I somehow understand why a lot of people give the blame and the reject only to Lisa. I mean, she literally screams to God to convince Marge to take her to South Korea, she had her happy diary in the basement which maybe shows that she can't be happy until she gets whatever she asked for, and she didn't, at least, apologized to Bart for causing what happened to him, even if it was inadvertedly and indirectly. And therefore, even if she wasn't really in the wrong, I guess the way Lisa is showed in this episode made think a lot of viewers she was the main responsible, while it was actually Homer's fault (he didn't apologized as well by the way... and Marge doesn't seems to care neither).

Pretty interesting in some way : in-universe, it's Bart who gets the blame for his father's actions. And in the reviews, it's Lisa who (mostly) gets the blame. And not Homer in both of the cases.
    I don't blame Lisa, but I blame the plot line for Lisa. I think the whole idea of forcing her parents to take her to Korea was pointless. Plus this isn't to first time she has manipulated her parents to take her somewhere she wanted to go to: Machu Picchu. That really doesn't follow Buddhist theology. Also, Lisa is going to apologies because she believes that material things as $500k will only bring you happiness for awhile.
    Marge didn't really do anything,in the episode.
    Why were the kids blaming Bart? He was easy escape goat. Homer is an adult, Bart is a child. He's easier to blame. Plus Homer would just eat whatever they threw at him.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoskin View Post
    I don't blame Lisa, but I blame the plot line for Lisa. I think the whole idea of forcing her parents to take her to Korea was pointless. Plus this isn't to first time she has manipulated her parents to take her somewhere she wanted to go to: Machu Picchu. That really doesn't follow Buddhist theology. Also, Lisa is going to apologies because she believes that material things as $500k will only bring you happiness for awhile.
    Marge didn't really do anything,in the episode.
    Why were the kids blaming Bart? He was easy escape goat. Homer is an adult, Bart is a child. He's easier to blame. Plus Homer would just eat whatever they threw at him.
    Yeah, that's pretty much my point. Technically I don't really blame Lisa, but with that plot line or at least the way it was written, I can't help but find her a little annoying here despite that.

You got a point about Bart blamed because he's easier to blame. That remind me some jokes throughout the show where Bart take the threats for something that someone else he knows did (like in Rosebud), but that were just little jokes. Here, that just makes the ending unfair for him, especially since nobody sticks up for him. (And Homer eating whatever they threw at him could allow the episode to end with a funny joke, and on a way less sour note.)

Maybe I am part of a minority, but I love seeing how the Simpsons approach modern themes and adapt to the changes of time. We have already seen episodes about robots, Google Glass, programming, virtual reality, among others. This same season, in fact, it was the turn of self-driving cars, written by LaZebnik, which had a good reception. The same writer gave shape to the first episode about e-sports. And, again, the result was positive.

I do not know much about videogames, but I know League of Leyends and I found the parody that takes place here very nice. Conflicts of Enemies is visually great. And the merit in this is the director, Rob Oliver, who again did an excellent job not only in the game, but throughout the episode in general, particularly during the anxiety attack that Lisa suffers. The role of gamer is perfect for Bart, so there is no objection that he is the protagonist. However, I have some doubts with your teammates. It is unlikely to see Martin in this group and, although it is nice to see Sophie again, this was an ideal situation to see Nikki again or, why not, give prominence to Sherri and Terri. It was very nice how Homer got involved in Bart's activities. The whole dads sports thing worked quite well, although I must say that the musical moment was totally unnecessary, like most of what we have seen this season. The biggest problem I see in this episode is the unnecessary turn of the trip to South Korea, turning an original premise into another where The Simpsons travels to a random country for a random reason. It would also have been nice to see a bit of Kirk and Krusty, as you have said before.

The trip to South Korea, the selfishness of Lisa and the arrival of Homer to Zen slow down the pace a bit and leaves us with a somewhat unsatisfactory ending, although I must say that the scene of the disturbances after the power outage is excellent, surely most remarkable of the last five minutes. The promising appearance of BTS was nothing more than a poster in the background, but the fans of the band were satisfied with them, so I have nothing to say about the matter. The most surprising and remarkable thing here was the amount of laughable scenes that there were, especially in the first five minutes. The harmony of the family without Bart, Homer and Marge laughing at the idea of ​​Lisa doing something bad, Homer insinuating that Bart masturbates in the bathroom, Lenny falling down the stairs, Homer without believing that he is paid to play video games, Skinner surprising himself to see a bill of 100 or Bart sitting on the knee of his father, among others. I also liked the character of The Detonator, who had a fun performance, especially when he interacted with Marge and when he decided to leave the videogames for an absurd reason. I liked most of the jokes dedicated to the stereotype of the gamers. I suppose it is the obvious approach to criticism, since perhaps it is not an issue that everyone would understand if a different development is sought.

My review makes it look like I did not like the episode, but the reality is that it was not the case. Perhaps, by making better decisions in the last minutes and in the cast used, we would be talking about the best of the season and I would give it a solid 5/5. It was not the case, but it's still TOP4 for me so far. Now, I only have to wait for Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy. I'm really looking forward to it.

4/5

I really like how we got quite a bit of discussion about this episode and it's last act & ending; it doesn't happen much in the R&R threads, perhaps mainly for the modern episodes, so it's good to see there's still interest in discussing the show, positives as well as negatives.

Blog Entries

Ah, positives, knew I'd been meaning to say something. And no that's not a smartass remark I really did forget something.

Guest stars! No really, I know I bitch up and down about them being everywhere but this time, they were pretty good! The Detonator was amusing enough and wasn't just someone easily replaced. As for Sophie, she alright. She didn't add a whole lot but was pretty inoffensive and is actually someone that already existed. Is there someone I'd rather have seen there? Yeah. But hey, Sophie's an actual character and I guess if someone's gonna get promoted to recurring she isn't a bad choice at all.

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

While I initially balked at the decision to bring back Sophie given what we knew of her personality through her previous two appearances, I actually think her choice was inspired given how she was utilized in this episode.

They wanted token female representation on Bart's team but they didn't want to introduce someone new or bring back anyone that would need an explanation or would have baked-in tension with Bart (i.e. most of his ex-girlfriends, that includes Nikki) while still having some kind of pre-existing relationship with him. The episode was packed enough to the gills with content as it is for its 22-minute running time that prompted Jean to pull a Selman and excise the couch gag while also having more than one individual suggest a double-length episode might have been the way to go here for the territory they wanted to cover.

That actually kind of tied their hands for available options given all of those factors that Sophie actually stood out as an obvious choice that could tick all of their boxes without necessarily retconning anything that had been previously established for her. There aren't exactly many 4th grade girls that have been introduced that Bart hasn't either dated or would not fit easily into this specific role. Sophie just worked.

There will now, undoubtedly, be a Season 31 or 32 episode where Bart dates her and Sophie gets jealous over Bart doting more over her father than on her. Bart will have to choose between his clown and his girl. And he will naturally choose... his clown. (Krusty will still not remember who he is despite this.)

The inclusion of Sophie was something that I really liked. They could easily have picked any of Bart's previous girl associates or friends and they picked her, which I think not only was a good choice but made perfect sense.

She was developed a fair bit in her intro ep ('Insane Clown Poppy') so she's fairly three dimensional, was not a girlfriend of Bart's (at least not yet), is not too feminine (she is kinda tomboyish) and is cool enough for someone like Bart (and his other friends for that matter) to hang with, not to mention she's Krusty's kid (which I assume gives her bonus points in their eyes). The replacement voice actress (Natasha Lyonne) who took over from Drew Barrymore did a solid job and sounded almost the same (which I didn't think they would have pulled off as well as they did).

I like Natasha Lyonne's performance as Sophie as well. It's weird how seamless it's been, as I definitely wouldn't say she and Drew Barrymore sound alike, but it works.

It wasn't a perfect match, agreed, but eh, they sounded similar enough for me so it was all okay when it comes to that.

Absolutely. Despite the differences in their voices it does feel oddly seamless and natural, so I've got no issue with the recasting. It gives them another established but far from overused character to work with, so it's all good.

Ooooh, nice rainy Simpsons title card!
    Homer's voice when he speaks his first line of the episode sounded really off.
    I actually laughed along when Lisa said she was going to behave badly too!
    Wow, it's amazing seeing Bart and Lisa having their own computers in their bedrooms these days. And my brother and I weren't able to do so until we were in our late teens and got our own laptops! Now I'm an I.T. student and in my room I have an Apple Mac Mini and Dell Optiplex 9010 set up, compete with an Ethernet connection running from our basement into a switch in my room!
    Geez, a Family Guy-esque cutaway?!
    Funny thing, last semester in my Current Issues in Computing class I did a homework assignment about online game addiction! And I can tell you that it can get REALLY serious.

Pretty cool hearing Chris Edgerly actually recording a voice for an episode for a change, instead of just being credited to be a stand-in during table readings!
    At least Yeardley Smith's still got it for voicing Lisa; the freak-out was pretty fun!

Heh, I KNEW when they got to Seoul, South Korea, they would do a joke about the show being animated there. (It'd be funny if Rough Draft Studios really did have a casino, too!)
    I enjoyed Marge's salt rendition of the 1990 Simpsons stock artwork still used on the new scripts.
    I did enjoy using the drones to advertise drone-related stuff.
    I enjoyed the deevolution of electronic gaming when Homer cut the power.
    I wasn't that happy seeing the other kids on Evergreen Terrors picking on Bart on the flight home. Just because it was his dad that cancelled the tournament doesn't meant Bart should get the blame!

It was a neat episode to me though, since I'm into computers and such.

Junior Camper

This episode would be much better with a different ending.

Junior Camper

Lets get the obvious done with Lisa isn’t an unlikable character they just keep writing her badly by ignoring how complex she actually is. In episode they did the old middle child syndrome. As the favorite this doesn’t work it only makes her come across as spoiled and entitled. In episode specifically it happened right after the tasteless joke of all the families problems are bart’s fault.

This in itself could have worked so well. Bart responds better to positive reinforcement and its mainly do to homer and marge’s laziness (and sometime selfishness) that they don’t do this, but this episode has homer take a third option of incorporating his laziness into giving bart positive reinforcement. This could have been a plot on it’s on.

You don’t feel sorry lisa being jealous of the attention bart gets because that attention is physical emotional and mental abuse while she’s daddy’s little, the one who’s always told they only one in the family who will succeed and who everyone does everything even sacrifice themselves and others to make sure she does.

As stated in this episode since the plot line came up right after that tasteless joke it comes across like my parents aren’t treating bart like s**t how dare they. You also can’t use her being made that homer bribed bart because did the same thing both her and marge.

Some have compared it to Daddicus Finch but it really doesn’t compare as homer’s involvement with bart has no negative consequence for lisa the simple fact he went the temple in the first place is proof of that. Also the point was that Homer’s intentions were to bond with Bart, but to use him. Lisa asking to go to the temple in first place is another example of spoiled and entitled being presented as sympathetic. Instead of just asking since they were going there anyway she threw a tantrum out of nowhere passive-aggressively guilting marge into agreeing. Once again you have another great opportunity Lisa’s jealousy is a little selfish and immature, and if it was treated as selfish and immature we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

Fans are starting to see that Marge and Homer are the ones to blame and not Lisa. Bart's unhappiness at school was shoved aside in favor of nurturing Lisa's gift. Marge was the one who convinced Bart to give away all the money that was going to his surgery by blaming him telling him that it wouldn’t have happened if he wasn’t better then lisa. (Don’t blame bart for getting crippled its tacky and lisa still his dangerous animal in the attic). The problem is that Lisa is always the beneficiary and usually the catalyst. As shown in the restraining order episode, when bart went to france and barthood the show in general and lisa personally never acknowledge this. Even in this episode Lisa has a "happy diary" she keeps in the basement, because she never has reason to use it. Showing how much it pales in comparison to its unhappy counterpart she writes in every night in her room. Also keep in mind that its not just bart since the beginning of the show Lisa has repeatedly been the catalyst to her families failures. Convincing homer to do what she wants anytime he gets into a position of power, marge not to stoop to the level of her competitors even flat out trying to sabatoge Maggie. So while you can’t blame lisa you can’t exactly disregard the narrative that she is doing it on purpose.

I think that the real reason resonant with this episode is because many of us started watching during the teen years where lisa was written at her worse and this reminds uf of that period.

The ending was not only needlessly cruel but flat out contradicted the reason for that cruelty in the first place. We see pariah Bart being pelted with in-flight snacks by his furious team for the 19-hour flight home, while Homer irritatedly tries to regain his temporary calm. Thinking he’s succeeded when he’s upgraded to first class. So homer used bart for his own personal gain and then crushed his success and enthusiasm for his own personal gain. If homer didn’t learn anything what was the point of screwing over bart in the first place. The comparison to meg is apt like in the girl on the bus seeing bart just except his lot in life is just sad.

Overall there was a lot of good parts in the episode that could gone places but they were just wrapped in eh.

Quite funny. Well-plotted. I crave something a bit more substantial, with a bit more heart, but this'll do. ​B-
    Season 30 Ratings
    Bart's Not Dead C- Heartbreak Hotel ​D My Way or the Highway to Heaven ​D- Treehouse of Horror XXIX ​C- Baby You Can't Drive My Car ​B+ From Russia Without Love ​B- Werking Mom ​C Krusty the Clown ​B Daddicus Finch B+ 'Tis the 30th Season ​D+ Mad About the Toy ​C+ The Girl on the Bus ​C I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can ​C- The Clown Stays in the Picture ​C- 101 Mitigations C+ I Want You (She's So Heavy) ​C E My Sports ​B- Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy ​C- Girl's in the Band ​B- I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh ​B- D'oh Canada ​C-

Thread Information