Thread: Could another "22 short films about Springfield" work?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Junior Camper

Could another "22 short films about Springfield" work?

Could a sequel to 22 short films work? There's plenty of potential for new stories and it would be a way for minor characters like Squeaky-voiced teen to have a somewhat major role.

Birthplace of the Flaming Moe Welcome to Moe's's Avatar

Yeah, I guess it could, I mean so many times we do say and feel that there's lots of little stories that could be told and are untold that need tying up with various characters which many times wouldn't really be enough for a full episode or even a sub plot in some cases, although the Dr Marvin Monroe thing could work as a sub plot as it has quite a bit if substance but that's one of many where what happened to him needs to be told and Bart's dream didn't really confirm anything either (as mentioned many times before I'd like to see a nice creative story around this not that he is dead as that just seems easy to do) but the episode was really enjoyable before for people do I don't see why another one wouldn't work as well as maybe tying up a few things that we've not had the answers to or wondered about.

It would be a great opportunity for the team to do this too before the show ends.

'"Uh, Hugh Jass! D'oh, somebody check the men's room for a Hugh Jass"

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

It could obviously work if they put their minds into it, but I still feel they have waited too long to make another one which is of the same quality as the classic episode. With some really good writing (yeah, that does still exist now in the modern era) and cooperations of multiple writers like original episode they could pull of a rather solid outing but I don't think it would measure up in comparison, though as part of the HD seasons it could very well turn out to be one of it's better episodes and that's all what it needs to be, I feel.

The Devil in Blue Shorts BloodySimpsonChibi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes it could. As long as the stories are interesting enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    I'd imagine patting Lisa on the head would sting, damn kids with their spiky heads.

It's something they could've/should've done a long time ago, and it's surprising they didn't go back to that well. I think it's something they could still try; I doubt it'll be as good as the original, but it could still be entertaining.
    A little less Generic than before.

Birthplace of the Flaming Moe Welcome to Moe's's Avatar

I say they go for it, there's nothing to lose, could tie up a few things and although it might/might not be (probably won't) be better than the first one it still could be good and enjoyable and would definitely add some variety too with the other characters we often miss.

More pluses I reckon in regards to doing this

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

They shouldn't worry about not being able to do as good as the first time but do their best and I'm sure it'll be good.

It's never too late for another short films episode and with such a large secondary cast there is many possibilities for characters to focus on for a little tale; something they are able to now is featuring some of the newer character who back then were many years from introduction, though starting off with Professor Frink feels like a no-brainer.

I don't know....

trilogy of error is very similar in structure to it.. but both of these concept episodes were inspired by iconic movies. I don't know if there's source material to inspire the current herd of writers enough to make something ambitious and still make it work.
    that's something about the older episodes, their references are usually better.

There's a few shows that reference movies or music but never do it justice. That happens in other forms of media as well, I think rockstar is often guilty of that with their games, it's clearly inspired by a movie but they do a poor job with the source material, it just comes off as a cheap rip off sometimes.

Non-Simpsons scare me. Road Rage's Avatar

Yes!

It's probably a better idea than whatever else they're planning.

Of course it can work. The format would allow new samples of secondary characters or peripherals, and it would be a possibility to bring some freshness to the show. After all, format-bender episodes tend to receive positive reviews. Still, I think the comparison with 22 Short Films About Springfield. Also, I think there are writers who would ruin the episode (I do not want to imagine the disaster that Westbrook could do in just 2 minutes).

It would be good to see, really.
    SEASON 30 RANKINGS: Bart's Not Dead: 3/5 / Heartbreak Hotel: 2/5 / My Way or the Highway to Heaven: 3/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXIX: 2/5 / Baby You Can't Drive My Car: 4/5 / From Russia Without Love: 4/5 / Werking Mom: 4/5 / Krusty the Clown: 4/5 / Daddicus Finch: 5/5 / Tis the Thirtieth Season: 2/5 / Mad About the Toy: 3/5 / The Girl on the Bus: 3/5 / I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can: 4/5 / The Clown Stays in the Picture: 2/5 / 101 Mitigations: 4/5 / I Want You (She's So Heavy): 1/5 / E My Sports 4/5 / Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy: 5/5 / Girl's in the Band: 4/5 / I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh: 2/5 / D'oh Canada: 2/5

Blog Entries

I think it could certainly work. It would be interesting to see snapshots of other characters’ lives for a brief period. 22 Short Films did very well in switching from story to story and going back to others, and I’m skeptical that they’d be able to handle that with the effectiveness that they did the first time, but even an inferior version would be interesting and fresh.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Road Rage

It could work. There's nothing stopping them from doing it, and I think it could even be one of those few episodes a season that Matt Selman produces. But any sequel they do will pale in comparison to the first one, not just because they're reprising a really famous idea, but because the writing quality has gone down severely since season seven.

In my opinion, they should stop trying to remake classic episodes unless they really understand what made them work and have something new to add to them that can make them interesting. "Kamp Krustier" was a great idea, and getting David Stern back to write it made sense, but the spirit of the original episode wasn't there at all.

May be yes, if the talk is about the position in the list. But if you are looking for the necessary for the people answers, they are at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page as the most interesting and necessary encyclopedia of almost everything.

Actually an Esquilax Venomrabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If they don't go the pulp fiction route, it's probably not quite remaking/tacking on.

If anything, it could be pretty advantageous to write. Mostly considering a lot of modern plots sometimes have issues with focusing or committing to a particular plot fully so this format might work, where it mainly is "here's a bunch of funny things that happened to these guys" maybe go with an entirely different set of characters to before too. So long as you can think of decent transitions, you can basically just throw out some little scenes that might not have been fully episode worthy with only one or two little things that really get more than one scene and a great way to use those that might not be able to pull a full episode but can easily get a funny scene or two.

With a lot of fan favourites, I think people tend to have deeper reasons for liking them and all that but 22 short stories I'm pretty sure was beloved because it was just a lot of fun.

Junior Camper Treehouse of Spoopy's Avatar

I don't see why it couldn't work, but whether it would be funny or not is more doubtful, seeing as it would be a modern Simpsons episode.
    nohomers.net make Treehouse of Spoopy go crazy

Thread Information