Birthplace of the Flaming Moe Welcome to Moe's's Avatar

Question Which episodes from the lower rated seasons do you feel you enjoy?

Currently watching Dangers on a Train for the first time in a long time and I'm actually really enjoying it, I've found the episode has been giving me quite a few quirky little laughs and I know this season isn't exactly rated the best season by any means I do feel this is a pretty good episode.

So I was wondering, which episodes from the lower rated seasons have you found you've enjoyed and aren't as bad as made out to be (maybe cause they're caught in what's seen as generally not a great season).

I'd love to hear from you guys as while watching this now I've really enjoyed the episodes and it made me wonder if this episode gets underrated due to which season it's in or maybe you guys don't really enjoy this episode as much as I do.

I look forward to hearing from you guys

'"Uh, Hugh Jass! D'oh, somebody check the men's room for a Hugh Jass"

I like that episode as well. "The strippers are here!"

I kind of like Brother's Little Helper and do like Grift of the Magi from season 11. The Monkey Suit is the only episode I like from season 17 (there are some that I don't mind, though). I like Dark Knight Court and kind of like Gorgeous Grampa from season 24.

Yeah, you don't really hear of it do you but probably is because it's within that season yet had it have been in another season I do wonder if it would have been a more favourable episode for some people?

Although S11 and 12 are some of the show's more...infamous seasons (the current HD era is forgettable and airless enough that most of the worst material tends to slip under the radar), I confess to liking Brother's Little Helper (it's far from a perfect episode and characterization on Bart and Homer (as with most Scully-era episodes) is noticeably flawed, but the humor and satire, courtesy of George Meyer's hilariously macabre and unorthodox personal style, is far more on-point than the vast majority of its S11 (and most of its S10, if we're talking production season here) brethren despite the episode bearing the mildly unnerving air of a 'side character plot', presumably owing to the era's Homer-centricity) and Grift of the Magi (potentially BLH's sole competition on the satire front in S11, although Gary Coleman's appearance is the climax is absurdly over-the-top despite the amusing payoff of the final scene) from S11. S12 is a little more challenging (outside of Trilogy of Error, which is solid but gimmicky and far from classic era-worthy, and Hungry, Hungry Homer, which is little more than largely okay) but I found Pokey Mom a mildly pleasant reprieve despite its contrived and absurd premise and A Tale of Two Springfield and New Kids on the Blecch are both ridiculously insane enough to qualify as major guilty pleasure fodder. The Jean era doesn't hold an overt number of standouts either, but occasionally manages to surprise me amidst all odds, albeit minorly - I Am Furious (Yellow) was far better than its premise suggested, The Dad Who Knew Too Little features some of the early Jean era's most memorable comedy and even S17 and S23 have Milhouse of Sand and Fog and Holidays of Future Passed, although neither are close to the standards set by S1-8.
    Last edited by Captain Wacky; 03-13-2019 at 01:38 PM.

Yeah, it does seem sometimes that good episodes among what are seen as not so great seasons do often get lost in the midst or they're just forgotten about because they are part of a season that not many people go back to as much as the other seasons but you made some good points there

Blog Entries

yeah

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: cam

I love the book job, and if I was still in high school and the troll twins was a real book, I would totally read it. Also Neil gaiman end speech (I never learned to read) always makes me laugh.
    Pokemon Moon Friend Code 5473-2104-2310
    Looking for shiny, legendary, and mythical. Got shiny Sandshrew (Alola)
    Have various starters, zorua, can breed many pokemon.
    Current egg move hatching: Tyrunt with fire fang

Kill The Alligator And Run (I'm a Floridian) and it's just plain funny.

Actually, a good majority of the Scully episodes while we are at it.
    Last edited by Ballbreaker; 03-14-2019 at 06:03 AM.

Deep Frier of Shirts BlueRibbonCommittee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

"Moe Goes From Rags to Riches". This is seen as one of the worst episodes of the entire series, but I kinda like it. I think it's a very creative idea. It's not perfect by any means and it does have its flaws (for one, the rag wasn't involved at all in that Scheherezade/1001 Nights story, not to mention it's fictional), but I still thought it was an enjoyable 22 minutes.

Yeah, I'll have to watch that again as that's also another I haven't seen in a while, as the DVD's aren't released of those seasons I tend to catch them quite fragmented now so it's usually as and when they're on TV but I have found these episodes and seasons quite enjoyable more than I thought as I've been recording them with my Youview box and they're great

Deep Frier of Shirts BlueRibbonCommittee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

To tell you the truth I have been watching a lot of panned episodes lately that I don't remember that well just to see if they're as bad as everyone says, or if I can find myself enjoying them more than the others. The rag episode is an example of the latter, as is "The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed" and "Judge Me Tender". There's some I concur with, such as "Co-Dependent's Day" and "Days of Future Future", and some while I am not a huge fan of, I don't see the seething hatred for them ("Million Dollar Abie", for example).

Yeah, same @BlueRibbonCommittee, since the thread I've watched a few more and there has been some that have been a bit give and take for me but in general, it's really not that bad at all but each to their own I guess

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRibbonCommittee View Post
    To tell you the truth I have been watching a lot of panned episodes lately that I don't remember that well just to see if they're as bad as everyone says, or if I can find myself enjoying them more than the others. The rag episode is an example of the latter, as is "The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed" and "Judge Me Tender". There's some I concur with, such as "Co-Dependent's Day" and "Days of Future Future", and some while I am not a huge fan of, I don't see the seething hatred for them ("Million Dollar Abie", for example).
    Days of Future Future can never be redeemed.
    SEASON 30 RANKINGS
    Bart's Not Dead - 2.5/5 / Heartbreak Hotel - 1.5/5 / My Way or the Highway to Heaven - 3/5
    THOH XXIX = Intrusion of the Pod-Y Switchers - 1.5/5 / Multiplisaty - 2.5/5 / Geriatric Park - 2/5
    Baby You Can't Drive My Car - 2/5 / From Russia Without Love - 3.5/5 / Werking Mom - 3/5
    Krusty the Clown - 4/5 / Daddicus Finch - 5/5 / 'Tis the 30th Season - 2/5 / Mad About the Toy - 1.5/5
    The Girl on the Bus - 2/5 / I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can - 4.5/5 / The Clown Stays in the Picture - 1.5/5
    101 Mitigations - 3/5 / I Want You (She's So Heavy) - 1/5 / E My Sports - 3.5/5
    Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy - 4.5/5 / Girl's in the Band - 4/5 / I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh - 1/5
    D'oh Canada - 2.5/5 / Woo-hoo Dunnit? - 3.5/5 / Crystal Blue-Haired Persuasion - 1.5/5

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

Well, quite a bunch of the post-classic episodes, ranging from the Scully era to current Jean, fall into this category for me (with a lot of the older ones having aged pretty well and are possibly better now than then with the advent of the HD era having gone on for some time). It's easy to pick out those that are generally liked (such as The Book Job) but as the thread asks for those that are less liked and more unpopular, even those that are even outright disliked, it's a bit harder.

A few that comes to mind of the unpopular ones are 'Tennis The Menace' (an pretty insane and ridiculous episode and typical Scully material, but still pretty funny with a bunch of good jokes), 'Simpson Tall Tales' (an entertaining trilogy episode wich I've always have had a soft spot for) & even 'The Italian Bob' (it's a decent travel episode and has it's share of good jokes and moments & Bob himself is always an enjoyable character).

There are a few that I like from the Scully era through some of the stinkers:

Just looking at Season 11 there were some funny episodes;
    I always like: Guess Who Coming to Criticise Dinner. Homer trying to write is funny as Lisa is able to translate. Trying to find adjective or verb to describe tongue hanging out making a drool epsiode. Also Homer gets his comeuppance. Makes up for Beyond Blunderdome... what were they thinking.

Faith Off is funny because anyone can start a religion and have people follow: "I have the Power." Now I have no problem with religion(s) as I have a faith, but I have problems with people who blinding follow a person who really is nothing but a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Season 12 was kind of ��y.

I like Hungry, Hungry Homer because he showed conviction to what he knew was wrong. For him to go on a hunger strike is so against the glutton her go be most of the time. Plus who didn't like Paint Drinking Pete.
    Bye, Bye Nerdy and some of the Simpsons Tall Tales were funny; uou know by and by.

Season 13:

The Old Man and the Key, she's a stone cold hoochie. Marge made a funny. ��
    Blame it on Lisa was pretty funny though at times put Brazil in a bad light. Though the "On top of, beneath,." and "We nuns cannot fly." "To much junk in the trunk, eh." Yes."

I could go on but the Scully era had a few but it want to make a list of bad we all could write forever. Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder is one and Children of a Lesser Clod to make a few.
    Homer: Yeah, Moe, that team sure did suck last night. They just plain sucked! I've seen teams suck before, but they were the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.
    Marge: Homer! Watch your mouth!
    Homer: Aw, I gotta go. My damn weiner kids are listening.
    Lisa: We are not weiners!

Blog Entries

There are many fair contenders for this topic but I wanna toss one in that I never hear spoken of these days even among the most fervently obsessed Simpsons fanatics that I genuinely think for it's flaws is surprisingly solid: We're on the Road to D'ohwhere. Now honestly this is a somewhat asterisked assertion, but here's essentially my case: alot of the reasons I have a difficult time with later Simpsons comes down to writing that I find unlikeable met with writing that is incredibly lazy in trying to explain and later reddem that. With that made clear, this episode absolutely adheres to the former, but in a way I fond refreshing. It takes the broken and bruised archetypes of a Jerkass Homer and a Psychotic Bart and actually tries to hash out how that relationship grew to such volatility all the while inquiring if it can be fixed. There are two specific scenes in this episode that I would consider to be two of the best of the entire Jean era. The first is simple, Homer is lamenting his lot in life as he uses to before he became Captain Wacky, his aging, his ungrateful children and his health. This alone sets a stage where even if Homer's emotional temperature is shot through the proverbial thermometer glass that there's a certain underlying sympathy or perhaps pity for what brought this man to this point, and yes it does take alot of cartoony antics to get us there but we are accepting the premise of these characrwrs actively being broken here, and its the latter scene that really brings it together. Around the middle stretch of the road trip, the two stop at a diner, where they spot a comparatively kindhearted and wholesome pair of father and son bonding as well, a functional parental and child unit may. What do they do? They laugh, they mock. This is not new for Homer and Bart but if we are buying the premise, the notion that this is a relationship that has been shattered and reglued with the tears of others more times than individual pieces each time it is shuttered, an ever imbalanced relationship pendulum swinging violently against the framework in a floating timeline, hammering heavy like the pulse of the heart of a beast waiting to awaken, this is like the cautionary tale reach its peak. This episode gets a little unpleasant and mean-spirited, but if one was to be entirely honest about the reality of a father/son relationship only held up by the pillars of thinly guised envy, this is the only real result. With a more thoughtful group of writers I think this concept could be one of the most enthralling and intense episodes of the series, shoving these two volcanos together and watching them struggle not to Pompeii each other, only to find themselves encouraging the chaos within because its all they have. If the Jerkass era as it were has a centerpiece to showcase its harrowing results, this is it. In better hands it could strike like Morel Orel Season 3 but as it stands its still more than the usual Jean era offering with regards to using the pieces to go some interesting places.

Quote Originally Posted by foose View Post
    There are many fair contenders for this topic but I wanna toss one in that I never hear spoken of these days even among the most fervently obsessed Simpsons fanatics that I genuinely think for it's flaws is surprisingly solid: We're on the Road to D'ohwhere. Now honestly this is a somewhat asterisked assertion, but here's essentially my case: alot of the reasons I have a difficult time with later Simpsons comes down to writing that I find unlikeable met with writing that is incredibly lazy in trying to explain and later reddem that. With that made clear, this episode absolutely adheres to the former, but in a way I fond refreshing. It takes the broken and bruised archetypes of a Jerkass Homer and a Psychotic Bart and actually tries to hash out how that relationship grew to such volatility all the while inquiring if it can be fixed. There are two specific scenes in this episode that I would consider to be two of the best of the entire Jean era. The first is simple, Homer is lamenting his lot in life as he uses to before he became Captain Wacky, his aging, his ungrateful children and his health. This alone sets a stage where even if Homer's emotional temperature is shot through the proverbial thermometer glass that there's a certain underlying sympathy or perhaps pity for what brought this man to this point, and yes it does take alot of cartoony antics to get us there but we are accepting the premise of these characrwrs actively being broken here, and its the latter scene that really brings it together. Around the middle stretch of the road trip, the two stop at a diner, where they spot a comparatively kindhearted and wholesome pair of father and son bonding as well, a functional parental and child unit may. What do they do? They laugh, they mock. This is not new for Homer and Bart but if we are buying the premise, the notion that this is a relationship that has been shattered and reglued with the tears of others more times than individual pieces each time it is shuttered, an ever imbalanced relationship pendulum swinging violently against the framework in a floating timeline, hammering heavy like the pulse of the heart of a beast waiting to awaken, this is like the cautionary tale reach its peak. This episode gets a little unpleasant and mean-spirited, but if one was to be entirely honest about the reality of a father/son relationship only held up by the pillars of thinly guised envy, this is the only real result. With a more thoughtful group of writers I think this concept could be one of the most enthralling and intense episodes of the series, shoving these two volcanos together and watching them struggle not to Pompeii each other, only to find themselves encouraging the chaos within because its all they have. If the Jerkass era as it were has a centerpiece to showcase its harrowing results, this is it. In better hands it could strike like Morel Orel Season 3 but as it stands its still more than the usual Jean era offering with regards to using the pieces to go some interesting places.
    One of the good things about this forum is when people bring different vibes and perspectives, even if we don't agree with them all it makes it great and I like the fact you bring these different perspectives too.

It's been a while since I've seen that episode though I want to give it another watch now

"Husbands and Knives" from season 19. It had a lot of lame and ridiculous stuff in it but I still found it watchable and memorable. "Catch 'Em If You Can" was another one that sticks out as fairly decent for the era.

Your Neighborhood Average Joe Purpleberries's Avatar

The Book Job is a pretty solid episode with a fresh heist story and some good humor. The Gaiman guest appearance is probably one of the better guest star cameos the show has had in the HD era.

Otherwise, besides a bunch of solid episodes, season 23 is surrounded by some mindnumbingly bad episodes like the Moe rag episode and mediocrity-fests like that Mad Men parody.
    Simpsons Season 30 Ratings: Bart's Not Dead: 3/5(B-) Heartbreak Hotel: N/A My Way or the Highway to Heaven: 3.5/5(B) THOH XXIX: 2.5/5(C+) Baby You Can't Drive My Car: 3.25/5(B/B-) From Russia with Love: 4/5(B+) Werking Mom: 3.5/5(B) Krusty the Clown: 3.5/5(B) Daddicus Finch: 5/5(A) Mad About the Toy: 3.5/5(B)

Thread Information