View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

3 10.71%
  • 4/5

3 10.71%
  • 3/5

6 21.43%
  • 2/5

9 32.14%
  • 1/5

7 25.00%

Thread: Rate & Review: "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" (YABF08)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Rate & Review: "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" (YABF08)

Season 30, Episode 16
    Original Airdate: March 10, 2019
    Writer: Jeff Westbrook
    Director: Steven Dean Moore
    Showrunner: Al Jean
    Synopsis: When a romantic night ends in injury, Marge recovers by taking up kite boarding while Homer bonds with his hallucinated hernia. Lisa attempts to fix her parents' strained relationship by seeking advice from an unlikely source.

Previous R&R
    Next R&R

INDUSTRY REVIEWS
    - The A.V. Club - Dennis Perkins - D
    - Den of Geek - Tony Sokol - 4 / 5
    - Bubble Blabber - Jesse Bereta - 6 / 10
    - Phil Payton {YouTube} - D
    - Max Power {YouTube} - 2 / 10

SIMPSONS REDDIT DISCUSSION THREAD

TV VIEWERSHIP - 0.8 Rating / 4 Share - 2.21 Million Viewers

R&R Poll Average Score: 2.46 / 5 (as of April 27th / 26 votes)
    IMDB User Rating: 6.0 / 10 (as of April 29th / 209 users)
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 04-29-2019 at 05:01 PM.

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Done with life BloodySimpsonChibi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Another surprisingly good episode. The horror movie gag and the nude beach gag were my favorites!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    I'd imagine patting Lisa on the head would sting, damn kids with their spiky heads.

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Beggs, cam

Another 'meh' episode for me..

It felt like a very superficial episode, Homer and Marge sneaked in the wedding convention and assumed the identity of two panelists.. nothing really came out of that.. there were a few gags involving the person involved at the convention... and then we had a pretty standard homer is selfish and doesn't care about marge's feelings episode.

then they decided to tack on a mission impossible-esque scene to the end.. I'm not sure why they decided to add that to the end but it makes me think that the episode was much longer and when they decided to edit everything together it wasn't cohesive enough so they just stuck that scene at the end.. I thought they didn't spend enough time setting up the groundwork with nigel for that part of the story to make any sense...

I'd say this episode was hit and miss. I usually enjoy Wallace Shawn's performances, and the hernia hallucination got some good laughs out of me (I particularly enjoyed Maggie trapping him in a bucket). Plus, the pacing and jokes in the first act were quite good, even if the random "Heffernan" plot tag added up to very little. But when the episode became yet another marriage crisis, with emphasis again on Homer being fat and lazy, it's a bit of a chore to stay focused. If this episode went all in on the zaniness of Homer hallucinating a hernia, it might have been memorable, but most of this was so generic and recycled there's not a lot to recommend. And yes, the Mission: Impossible scene was truly bizarre; who was asking for such a parody in 2019?

2.5/5

Kinda like Jesus Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Uh, this was a weird one. The beginning with Homer and Marge’s bonding at the wedding convention was sweet, and while the episode did bring about some marital conflict, it wasn’t too bad. The hernia plot was like “What if one of those Homer-and-his-brain exchanges became an entire plot?” It was definitely bizarre. I did like the Jimbo-Shauna plot with Bart and Lisa. I’ve said it before, but I don’t mind Shauna; I think she fills a unique role in the show and has enough of a personality to make repeated appearances. There were some decent jokes in here, too; it was funnier than the last two episodes. I guess I can give this a 3/5.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

Meh.

Had some good scenes, not many. Another Homer is a jerk episode, I guess. Chief Wiggum actually doing police work. Where that bike seat ended, I'm sure I don't really want to know. I like Shauna, she's fun. Jimbo wasn't a complete dillhole. Nigel was completely irrelevant to the episode and didn't need to be there. Homer and Marge get hurt and they have to go to physical therapy. Mysteriously he's a Russian spy? Plus why would Homer have to go to physical therapy for a inguinal hernia?
    I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries.

Blog Entries

I don't quite get the title of this one, was Marge's weight really an issue at all? I dunno, I tuned out when it became generic squabbling.

Homer couldn't carry Marge, she was too heavy, which kicked off the whole plot.
    Pokemon Moon Friend Code 5473-2104-2310
    Looking for shiny, legendary, and mythical. Got shiny Sandshrew (Alola)
    Have various starters, zorua, can breed many pokemon.
    Current egg move hatching: Tyrunt with fire fang

Blog Entries

They didn’t go anywhere else with the weight thing, though. It seemed like a really skimpy way to set the plot in motion. At least bring it back for a resolution regarding her weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    They didn’t go anywhere else with the weight thing, though. It seemed like a really skimpy way to set the plot in motion. At least bring it back for a resolution regarding her weight.
    I'm going to theorize that someone liked the idea of naming an episode off of the Beatles tune, came up with a wacky premise to have Homer and Marge injure themselves so as to justify the pun in the title and then couldn't be bothered beyond that.

This episode's most egregious sin was a veritable lack of focus and a resounding determination not to fully commit to any one single plot point and carry it out to its full potential. If it wasn't for a few of Lisa's witty rejoinders and Wallace Shawn's amusing (if wasted) characterization for the hernia, I'd have rated it even lower.

Incidentally, it's episodes like this one that prompt me to rate episodes like I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can that fully commit to a story and follow through organically with each and every story beat so highly. Even if they're well-worn territory we've seen before. The core narrative in that episode flows from point-to-point and you're not left questioning anything. It's tidy and well-told and I will champion it while decrying unfocused messes each and every time.
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 03-11-2019 at 09:32 AM.
    SEASON 30 RANKINGS
    Bart's Not Dead - 2.5/5 / Heartbreak Hotel - 1.5/5 / My Way or the Highway to Heaven - 3/5
    THOH XXIX = Intrusion of the Pod-Y Switchers - 1.5/5 / Multiplisaty - 2.5/5 / Geriatric Park - 2/5
    Baby You Can't Drive My Car - 2/5 / From Russia Without Love - 3.5/5 / Werking Mom - 3/5
    Krusty the Clown - 4/5 / Daddicus Finch - 5/5 / 'Tis the 30th Season - 2/5 / Mad About the Toy - 1.5/5
    The Girl on the Bus - 2/5 / I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can - 4.5/5 / The Clown Stays in the Picture - 1.5/5
    101 Mitigations - 3/5 / I Want You (She's So Heavy) - 1/5 / E My Sports - 3.5/5
    Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy - 4.5/5 / Girl's in the Band - 4/5 / I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh - 1/5
    D'oh Canada - 2.5/5 / Woo-hoo Dunnit? - 3.5/5 / Crystal Blue-Haired Persuasion - 1.5/5

Blog Entries

I also thought that they very well might have chosen the title first and then tried to make it work in the episode. I can’t think of any other reason they’d put in such a contrived plot point.

Deep Frier of Shirts BlueRibbonCommittee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wedding expo signs:
    Springfield Wedding Expo
    Start Your Life Together in Debt

Cummerbunderful - Smart Cummerbunds
    Therm-O-Foot - Cold Feet Early Warning System
    Vow-Cancelling Headphones
    Prenuptial Agreements: Joint Custody, No Alimony, Only One Mistress
    Beyond Seafoam: The Most Unflattering Bridesmaids' Dresses

Next Year's Wedding Trends:
    10) Longer Aisles
    9) 2nd Best Man
    8) Separate Honeymoons
    7) Flowers
    6) Cultural Appropriation
    5) Ads on Veils
    4) In Memoriam Reel
    3) Friends
    2) Sand Bags
    1) True Love

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Um...yeah. It's been said several times now, but this episode was weird. One of the weirdest there has been in a while. And it just had such a flimsy plot. Marge wanted Homer to exercise with her, but he didn't because of a hallucination, and then he did. Okay. Then Nigel's a Russian spy for some reason (was this last part just to fill time? I really didn't see why this was added--it was Scully-level weirdness).

I don't even know what to say about this. I like the opening with Homer and Marge at the drug presentation (seeing Skinner on drugs was pretty insane) and the Wedding expo, and even the idea of Homer and Marge both getting injured and needing to exercise as therapy isn't bad. But they need to make a conflict out of it, so...bring in Wallace Shawn as Homer's hallucinated hernia that discourages Homer from being active. Homer didn't even seem to learn anything in the end with his ridiculous pizza order. But if this episode was supposed to be about "Homer needs to be more active", why did that not even start until the episode was nearly half over? This episode seems like a collection of loosely-related scenes that were written in a stream-of-consciousness manner without any attempt at making a coherent plot out of it.

Also, I still don't like Shauna.

2/5
    "Your tears say more than real evidence ever could."

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

The typical episode that I will forget one week after watching it.

I don't really know what to say. It's like the plot didn't know where to go to me. A marriage crisis ? A story about Homer and his weight and/or need of exercising ? The beginning isn't very useful, except for the Shauna thing that will lead Lisa to asking her some advices about relationships for some reason. And not to mention it's pretty boring (and Skinner forced by Chalmers to take drugs is kinda mean spirited), even if Marge and Homer sharing that kind of moment is pretty sweet. When the plot is really landed, it's not better, per say.

The rest is basically "Homer doesn't care about Marge's interests but then he learns of his errors and tries to patch things up" without being interesting or entertaining. I had some chuckles like the hat on one of the nudists head (and the "Gross" right after that), but otherwise it was boring and lacked of focus. Like I said, it's like the writers didn't know which way taking (but I guess the marriage stuff was what mattered the most at last, because the weight stuff seemingly didn't mattered at the end), and therefore, we have... this. The hernia isn't interesting either and leads to some weird scenes (Maggie seeing the hernia... why ? Because it's funny, I guess), it's just a zany way to say "Homer doesn't listen Marge at first, and then he understand his mistake". And because they didn't know how to fill 20 minutes, we have Nigel aka a character that nobody cares being a russian spy and that out of nowhere Mission : Impossible parody. I don't know, maybe Jeff Westbrook just watched Fallout by the time he wrote this episode and thinked that it will be funny to end his episode with that.

I don't know what to add, this was just a bland, unfocused and forgettable episode. 2/5
    Last edited by Wile E. the Brain; 03-11-2019 at 02:17 PM.

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

Meh, I didn't like this one very much. While the premise itself, being about Homer and Marge taking a bad fall down the stairs after having come home from a convention center (where they sneaked into a wedding convention to get out of the mandatory drug lecture headed by Chalmers and Skinner) and ending up with an injury each (Marge a broken foot and hernia for Homer) which leads to the two doing different things on their own to recuperate, Marge something creative and Homer the opposite wasn't bad in itself and had it's moments such as the bits with Shauna and Jimbo (at first as Bart, Lisa and Maggies babysitters and their reappearance) and some nice stuff with Homer and Marge in the first act. Even so, it was just so dull and bland, uninspired and kinda boring, not to mention being puzzling at times and feeling like a hodgepodge of previous episodes.

The first part was the best, with Homer and Marge assuming other identities to get into the marriage convention where they have a good time and celebrate their marrriage while the kids are being babysat by Shauna who takes advange of this and has Jimbo sneak inside, letting the kids see an overtly gory horror movie before it escalates to a party and the kids to go outside and spend the evening with Ned (I like how they brought Shauna and Jimbo back later on with Lisa asking them for relationship advice regarding her parents; this "subplot" felt more interesting than the main one and I wish there could've been more of it to elevated an otherwise trite tale). After Homer and Marge gets injured the episode kinda went into a lull for me with them recovering their own ways, with Marge getting a suggestion from her physical therapist Nigel to take up kite boarding to get back in the saddle and doing so while Homer just sits and lies around at home & pigs out while suffering from medical pill-induced hallucinations about his hernia who starts running his life. It just didn't work for me.

It slows down and it's much of the same old with Homer and Marge growing apart, with Homer being at home and her being at the beach with some hunky guy (Nigel) who's her supervisor (I got vibes of 'Bonfire of The Manatees' here so too familiar). Then they get together in the end with some help from the kids (including Maggie who can see Homer's hernia halluctination and traps him) and Chief Wiggum whom Homer realizes is really fat and doesn't want to end up being), they end up in an kite boarding accident and is seen on the bed with minor casts. Also, the episode ended with some out of nowhere stuff about Nigel being an russian spy and an random Mission Impossible spoof; the main story really ran short so I guess filler was needed but this was so tacked on and pointless. There was some nice stuff in here but I couldn't get invested since it was so routine and unoriginal and offered nothing new (even Homer's hernia hallucination has been done; it brought my thoughts to Bart seeing his guilt being personified as the monster who bothers him in 'The Cad And The Hat').

The episode was decently paced for the first half (if a little messy and all over the place with the slow and complex build up and the jumping around before the quick resolution; they hyped the kite boarding a lot before the episode aired but it was only a small part of it), it wasn't massively funny but had some nice jokes and the animation was nice even though no moment stood out & as for the characterizations I think that most of them felt pretty good overall (though Chalmers forcing Skinner to ingest drugs for the sake of learning was bizarrely off and dark). Wallace Shawn as the small, wierd oompa loompa guy symbolizing Homer's hernia who tells him to stay home and ignore his family did well (it was not too inconcievable at all), though it felt like they could have given him a more substantial character to voice instead of a hallucination that was a little too out there; I'd call it wasted potential but i was fine with it as it was a fine performance.

Overall, even though it had it's moments it wasn't very good at all. It really suffered from being uninspired and unoriginal with the stuff we've seen before in other episodes and there wasn't enough new material to hold it up (though I did like the bits with Shauna and Jimbo and their scenes with the kids which felt a little new new, especially with Jimbo being a pretty cool and chill guy instead of the one-note unlikeable bully he usually is & also them giving good advice). I wish that the Homer & Marge plot was better since it had the right idea but the execution fell flat and with the retreading and the strange choices made (such as a focus on Homer's hallucination and muddled motivations) didn't click (and it was so short and underdeveloped too, evident when the story ended several minutes before the end credits). One of the season's weaker episodes.

2/5
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 03-11-2019 at 02:43 PM.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

The 2019 Chalkboard Bracket
    Characters are listed in order; the top half of each group is on the left, and the bottom half is on the right
    Winners are in bold

Sweet 16:
    Marge vs Krusty
    Homer vs Santa's Little Helper
    Dr. Hibbert vs. Lisa
    Ned Flanders vs. Maggie
    Principal Skinner vs. Ralph
    Chief Wiggum vs. Miss Hoover
    Apu vs. Lenny
    Carl vs Moe

Elite Eight:
    Krusty vs Santa's Little Helper
    Dr. Hibbert vs. Maggie
    Ralph vs. Miss Hoover
    Apu vs. Carl

Final Four:
    Krusty vs. Maggie
    Miss Hoover vs. Apu

Championship:
    Krusty vs. Apu

For comparison, here is the 2014 bracket, from "Diggs" (SABF08)

Sweet 16:
    Marge vs. Lenny
    Carl vs. Cletus
    Grampa vs. Homer
    Bumblebee Man vs. Groundskeeper Willie
    Bart vs. Ned Flanders
    Moe vs. Cookie Kwan
    Lisa vs. Otto
    Apu vs. Jasper

Elite Eight:
    Marge vs. Carl
    Homer vs. Groundskeeper Willie
    Bart vs. Moe
    Lisa vs. Jasper

Final Four:
    Homer vs. Marge
    Bart vs. Jasper

There was no winner determined between Homer and Jasper

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Boring. Some potential in the plot, I liked seeing Homer and Marge having fun together in the first act. Then its the usual beats, Homer sorta starts ignoring Marge but then shows up at the end and joins Marge kite sailing cause thats important I guess. Also Wallace Shawn is there as Homer's personified hernia, which just made me think of that ep with Patton Oswald as Bart's guilt, both really weird concepts that add nothing but to give the ep a little gimmick. Also shitty Mission: Impossible time filler gag, and Kavner's voice is really grating, yadda yadda.

1/5
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I Want You (She's So Heavy) 4/10

# The couch gag this time consists of Homer and Marge at a game show where they are supposed to come up with the answer to Things A Couch Would Say, and Marge answers you haven't replaced me since 1989." It's okay I guess, I don't really have an opinion on this one.
    - Well, the episode starts of with an appearance of Shauna as she gets the job of babysitting the kids. What a promising beginning...
    # Homer and Marge go to a lecture about the harms of drugs and alcohol. Chalmers uses Skinner as a test subject making him use cocaine. It's pretty odd, but at least this shows the traditional roles they had in the past instead of the buddy-buddy stuff I can't stand.
    + Lenny calling Homer to say he found his birthmother only to find out she wants nothing to do with him is kinda sad and funny at the same time.
    + Okay, the callback joke with Skinner stumbling into the exhibit of a thousand weddings with Chalmers dragging him back to take more drugs actually made me chuckle.
    + The horror movie Bart, Lisa, Shauna and Jimbo are watching at home is amusingly weird as well.
    # Homer: "You're so light." What? Homer, the title says Marge is heavy.
    ? After Homer drops Marge when going up the stairs they fall and moan afterwards, and we cut back to workers at the museum. Wait, how can people at the wedding museum hear them from so far away???
    - The plot now kicks in. Marge starts exercising while Homer has to be a lot on his own. And I sit there and wait for anything even remotely interesting to happen.
    - So we finally get to the infamous scene where Homer's talking hernia appears. And it's... surprisingly underwhelming.
    - We cut back to the boring weightloss thing with Marge and her New Zealand instructor. They go kitesurfing. Wake me up when it gets more exciting.
    + (when they give people parking tickets) Lou: "You know there's a double murder downtown." "Well, now there's a triple, since you just killed my day."
    -- So if the episode didn't get bland enough, we now have a marriage crisis between Marge and Homer since he's being a lazy sack of shit. Gimme a break...
    -- I thought Shauna had filled her role for this time, but apparently not. Lisa goes to ask her and Jimbo for advice on how to make a relationship hold.
    ½+ Homer's hernia gets angry when Homer won't listen to him, so Maggie traps him inside a bucket. Well, that's at least one moment with the talking hernia I liked... sort of.
    - Homer goes kitesurfing with Marge and saves the day, yaddayadda.
    - Some pretty bad voice acting when Marge is caught in a wind propeller and gets dragged around.
    -- By the way, how did the plot go from "Marge needs to lose weight" to "Homer needs to lose weight"? There wasn't even any smooth transition.
    -- So Nigel (So that's his name) turns out to be a spy, and wants Homer to show him the reactor core at the nuclear power plant... for some reason. Yeah, I have no idea what the hell's going on either.
    -- What? Why does it end on a parody of the Mission: Impossible Intro? What???
    # "In Loving Memory Of Luke Perry" Aaaw...

So, uuuhm... I don't even know what to say, really. This one was just weird. And not in an entertaining way, just weird. Hell, it's not even weird in a way that gets me angry beyond any measure like Moe Goes From Rags To Riches. Yes, despite the story involving Homer getting a talking hernia, it's thankfully nowhere near as horrible as Rags To Riches. Instead, the hernia is just... there. It would be like if Ralph and his evil leprechaun was a whole story, it just doesn't work. Okay, before the plot kicked in though the episode wasn't really that bad. A few jokes here and there I chuckled at. When the plot kicks in however, it becomes really boring and just gives me a sense of... nothingness. They can't think of ways to make the story entertaining organically, so they throw in random shit like Homer's hernia, and while we're at, why not have Nigel turn out to be a spy because why the fuck not. Who cares if anything makes any sense or not, we're getting two more seasons anyway. Cha-ching, cha-ching.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolerSimpsons View Post
    # The couch gag this time consists of Homer and Marge at a game show where they are supposed to come up with the answer to Things A Couch Would Say, and Marge answers you haven't replaced me since 1989." It's okay I guess, I don't really have an opinion on this one.
    So, they just had the couch repaired after Bart broke it in "Brother, Can You Spare Two Dimes?" in 1992?

Blog Entries

Very weird episode where it seems that it didn't know where to go with the plot. It all starts with the couch gag which already felt to stupid for me, but at least the first act was a genuinly good watch where Homer and Marge seemed happy and the babysitting plot had some good moments. I liked Shauna babysitting the kids as I usually don't like her character, and Jimbo hanging around the house (despite that he should have a traumatic experience with the last girl he sat with, would've liked to see a little reference to that). Really liked the horror movie they were watching and Jimbo & Shauna awkwardly trying out Homer's underwear. I only didn't see much point of Ned taking in the kids. And since Ned seems to be available, why didn't Homer or Marge come up with the idea to ask him to babysit instead? Especially considering how desperate Marge has gotten at the beginning to find another babysitter.

It felt weird to see Chalmers forcing Skinner to inhale a lot of drugs, where Chalmer even calls it Skinners medicine. It might've been fun to see some more of a drugged Skinner, which we've only seen in one scene. The wedding expo was probably some of the best stuff in this episode. I liked how Homer got turned on by a cake that didn't have a woman inside it, the unflattering bridesmaids dress show, and Homer & Marge's presentation where the lady that brought them stayed around to listen to their groaning. After this the episode started to fall apart. It started out wit Marge worrying that she was to heavy for Homer to carry, to Hibbert going more in depth with their injuries and what needs to be done with it, with Marge trying out kite boarding to help her pain, to yet another marriage crisis.

Then we get introduced to Nigel, who's jokes come solely from his accent and turns out to be a spy near the end. Homer's hernia introduced Wallace Shawn as a new character, who he for some reason always listens to even over his wife. I guess the best moments with Wallace is where Maggie can apparently see him and traps him with a bucket. I didn't care a whole lot for the plot at this point. I did like some jokes like Bart bullying Homer with his handicap, Homer playing with a drone that keeps chopping off Marge's hair and pretty much all the Wiggum scenes. I also like that Lisa had to turn to Jimbo and Shauna for marriage advice, and that she actually offered some good advice. The ending kinda resolved itself with Homer and Marge stuck on a windmill, and for some reason they thought that adding a Mission Impossible parody with Nigel was a good way to end the episode.

There's not much to say for this episode. It started off well in the first act, but then it went all over the place and I started to lose interest the longer I was watching. Even the ending indicated that they had no idea what to do anymore. I can give some credit to the humor, which was spread thin trough the episode with my favorites jokes being a drugged Skinner, the horror movie the kids were watching, Maggie's interaction with Wallace and Homer flying his drone to Marge's hair. There was very little about the actual injuries and implying that Marge has gotten to much weight for Homer to carry. Instead they focussed to much on Homer not listening to Marge as he rather lsitens to his personified hernia instead. I like that the kids were somewhat involved in the plot. With that said, this episode ranks as below average and gets a rating of:

2/5
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Halloween of Horror/Every Man's Dream 28: There Will Be Buds/Moho House 29: Gone Boy/Throw Grampa from the Dane

I too found this kind of a weird episode, not only in terms of its content, but also the impression it left one me. On one hand, it was by no means a stellar episode, yet at the same time I do feel I kind of enjoyed it. Perhaps it's a case of the worst parts being so bland and forgettable that even though I'm aware of the episode's problems, the weirdness and funnier moments somehow made it fun in spite of itself. It's really left me with a weird feeling.

We throw around the term "marriage crisis" a lot, and to be fair, this was more "marriage crisis lite". It had many of the usual beats of a marriage crisis episode, but at the same time they were rather subdued. The stakes were lower, which isn't necessarily a bad thing given how often they've gone down that path, but at the same time, it adds to the blandness. It's tough to hate the story because they didn't go all out on it being Yet Another Marriage Crisis, but it was also still familiar enough and too by the numbers to ever feel interesting.

The plot did succeed in tying together some funny moments though, and I think at the end of the day, it's the humour that made the episode for me. As odd as it seemed for Chalmers to force Skinner to do drugs, I loved the "I both see, and am, God!" line. I thought Harry Shearer's delivery was absolutely hilarious there. Likewise, Bart's "I feel glued to my seat for reasons I don't understand" when Jimbo and Shauna were making out was a nice bit of wry humour, and oddly charming in its innocence. Two of the best lines of the episode, in my opinion.

I also loved the horror movie they were watching. Oftentimes these days, gore will be used for cheap shock humour or an attempt at horror that just ends up being lame, but here it felt like a good send-up of that; a ridiculous, over-the-top horror movie that's too silly to be creepy and scary. The whisks inexplicably flying in and smashing through the grandmother's skull after her skin was eaten by the insects got me. It was so stupid but in a really good way, and again, a rather on-point parody of dumb horror movies. Chief Wiggum had some good moments in this one, and the "Ew, gross!" gag at the nude beach when the guy ended up wearing Homer's hat was another highlight. They can still come up with some funny stuff when they're on their game.

Marge and Homer's adventures at the wedding expo were fun as well. It was nice to see them enjoying each other's company, and the joke about a microphone that cleans up a best man's speech was a good one, especially with Homer testing it out and Marge finding humour in the whole thing. Weird as it was, I enjoyed Wallace Shawn as Homer's hernia. There's something about his voice that makes his characters funny, even when they're kind of dumb as this was. In short, there were a lot of moments that I liked, and I got some good laughs out of the episode.

In that respect, I guess the plot wasn't a complete waste as it was at least a means of tying together and delivering some fun humour, but in and of itself, it was dull and forgettable. It makes it hard to grade; the plot is probably a 1/5, but I'd rate the humour at least a solid 4/5, because it really did work for me. Somewhere around the 2.5-3/5 mark feels about right for an episode that made me laugh despite the story being rather clunky and forgettable, rounded up to 3 for the poll. Really weird, but at least some jokes stand out.
    A little less Generic than before.

Blog Entries

That title kinda sounds like a Beatles song, if you ask me.

her cocoa is so chuggable PreciousBodilyFluids's Avatar

The fuck was this?

0/5

28. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Nitsy

I also thought that they very well might have chosen the title first and then tried to make it work in the episode. I can’t think of any other reason they’d put in such a contrived plot point.
    I was listening to Abbey Road on my way in and I got a great idea for a show. Let's write about Marge getting fat and when Homer carries her up the stairs it causing him to get a hernia.

I liked Phil's review, particularly the dumpster fire volcano analogy. This was a very forgettable episode, started okay Homer's best man speech autocorrect to polite comments was probably the highpoint laugh wise. The hernia was just strange, not as interesting as the space coyote, and Shauna and Jimbo were terrible babysitters, I don't know why Lisa would get advice from them, there must be another couple Lisa knows that like each other. She's a smart girl, I think she could have figured Homer and Marge lack common interests on her own, without prompting. Maggie was good I the episode, trapping the hernia. And I guess the windmill kiss was kind of sweet. But overall boring and strange, Homer's plot feels disconnected from Marge's, and Nigel the spy came out of nowhere. 1/5 for the poll.

31. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Writer: "Hey Al, I was listening to Abbey Road on my way in today and I got a great idea for a show. It's about Marge getting heavier and when Homer carries her up the stairs it causing him to get a hernia. Oh yeah the hernia talks to Homer."

Al Jean: You're fired. Get out.

Junior Camper

Here’s the deal with this episode the one who ruins it is dr hibbert. He tells up that Homer has a hernia and Marge lightly sprained her ankle. Both of them just requires rest. Homer can’t go to physical therepy and marge doesn’t need to go, but for some reason she does. I’ve also noticed that Marge is the only one who doesn’t have any interest of her own. Homer, bart, lisa all have hobbies but whenever marge tries something depite knowing that the others wont enjoy it she makes it family/romantic activities then gets mad when they don’t. It is what phil said there is not connectivity in this episode, no reason for the charecters to do what they’re doing other then showing their most negative traits. oh and a talking hernia

Its obvious the writers just don’t care anymore what is this the 8th marriage crises for everyone we all say the same thing. at least she didn't try and cheat on him again

34. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Surprise! Westbrook's episode was the worst of the season, at least so far. Oh, excuse me, it's true that this is not a surprise at all. The job of this writer is just offensive. I don't undetrstand why he's still working on the show. It has not way to reach neither a mediocre status. Not even seeing this with my best predisposition. It's so terrible like the mayority of his apports.

To begin with, I do not understand how it is that no producer prevented the inconceivable idea that Homer's hernia comes to life. Why they believed that it would be interesting and that it would be among the the many things that some fan of this series would want to watch. To top it off, this atrocious is framed in another damn story of marriage problems between Homer and Marge. No, no and no. How the hell they thought to make a good episode with such an unstable base. With some doubts, I can affirm that this premise was the worst of the show's history. Maybe, the execution could save this apparent disaster a bit, but that wasn't the case. Some twists in the plot were badly made. Homer and Marge pretending to be the Hefferman did not lead anywhere. Bart and Lisa coming to the Flanders' house removed splendor to the subtrame. And the revelation that Nigel is actully a russian spy instead a surfcoaching is a remarkable filling of time, like the absurd attempt of parody of Mission Impossible. Also, none of the parts of the plot is solid. All of them are expendables. There isn't something they focused on, which make this even more forgettable. The subplot was good. It was nice to see something more of the relation between Shauna and Jimbo. Definitelly this show needs a bit of the protagonism of teenage characters.

There were somes jokes that worked pretty well. I liked seeing Homer simulating to be the best man at Selma's wedding. I also enjoyed the appearances of Dr. Hibbert, Grampa, and the first one of Wiggum and Lou. And, like ever, the scenes of Maggie. There's no way to misise the baby without do something stupid. I also liked what we saw between Shauna and Jimbo, like I said previously. However, there is much more to question than to flatter. There is a clear sign of the flanderization of some characters. Another joke about Otto's addiction, another scene in which Marge is ashamed of Homer's weight, another unrealistic scene of Ralph, another excessive comment from Patty and Selma about his brother-in-law. On the other hand, all the scenes of Nigel or Wallace are forgettable, boring, weak. Is that, come on, none of them has reason to be. None of the characters contribute anything. In fact, I paid special attention to the work of Wallace Shawn and Hank Azaria with those characters and not even the voice of any of them is remarkable. And, of course, I have to talk about a joke that quickly became a serious contender to the worst in all of history. The one in which Chalmers forces Skinner to drug himself against his will. It is totally repulsive, out of place, out of character, and horrible to watch. To make matters worse, we have a second part where Chalmers says he will force it twelve times more. NOOO!

There were chances that my note is a weak 2/5 for the subplot, but I can not do it. I had predispoción and good will, but there is no case. Terrible plot, horrible and inconsequential characters of only appearance and one of the worst scenes in history. If I keep thinking about it, I give it a 0/5. So I better do this fast.

1/5

Well, that was an odd duck; an absolutely appalling plot, married to some half-decent humour (I thought "They're headed for a wind farm!" was genuinely hysterical). I'm really not sure what I thought about that, but the fact that such a dreadful idea for a story managed to make me laugh at all is a point in its favour.

An uncertain C
    Season 30 Ratings
    Bart's Not Dead C- Heartbreak Hotel ​D My Way or the Highway to Heaven ​D- Treehouse of Horror XXIX ​C- Baby You Can't Drive My Car ​B+ From Russia Without Love ​B- Werking Mom ​C Krusty the Clown ​B Daddicus Finch B+ 'Tis the 30th Season ​D+ Mad About the Toy ​C+ The Girl on the Bus ​C I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can ​C- The Clown Stays in the Picture ​C- 101 Mitigations C+ I Want You (She's So Heavy) ​C E My Sports ​B- Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy ​C- Girl's in the Band ​B- I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh ​B- D'oh Canada ​C- Woo-hoo Dunnit? ​B Crystal Blue-Haired Persuasion ​C+

Thread Information