• 2/5

3 37.50%
  • 1/5

2 25.00%

Thread: Family Guy Talkback "no giggity no doubt"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Family Guy Talkback "no giggity no doubt"

When the guys volunteer to chaperone the high school prom, Quagmire hits it off with Courtney only to discover that she is his daughter. To his and the gang's surprise, Quagmire makes a serious effort to embrace parenting Courtney, joining Peter and Meg on an ill-fated father-daughter camping trip.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

Blog Entries

go to bed holy hell

Blog Entries

shut the fuck up

Blog Entries

really not in the mood

Hey, the episode probably won't be that bad!

Blog Entries

this episode wasnt super good but a fair bit better than most of the boring and dull episodes this season. the plot and characters actually felt natural, and most of the jokes were cute (altho mayor west and angela as ghosts was just sad). my only complaint was that quagmires angry rant came out of nowhere but this was otherwise fairly watchable. 3/5

also BOTH simps and fg were in memory of luke perry tonight. whens that happen last!!

8. Thumbs Up To This Post by: John95

Stuff I Liked
    Pete's headphones
    Peter driving a fiat
    Joe's attempt to sing One Week.
    Peter's pretend hanging.

Stuff I didn't like
    Smithy getting beheaded by the overpass.
    Meg's prom "Date"
    All the stuff with Quagmire getting proof that Courtney's 18 and not responsible should anything happen to her.
    Cleveland cutting his hand.
    Quagmire berating Peter & Joe.
    Quagmire going up and down the metal bleachers.
    The thing with Miriam's ghost was just as big of a slap to the face as the scene with her bench from Follow the Money.
    Quagmire getting pissed while in the woods.

Misc.
    How long's it been since anyone's actually said Connie D'Amico's name in-series?
    Very ironic that on the same night where we have an episode guest starring Mandy Moore, we also have two episodes of Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure since she reprises her role of Rapunzel from the original film for that series.
    Have fun going through that scene of everyone outside the Griffin house. Between all the characters from all three of the MacFarlaneverse shows shown, I recognized pretty much all of them.

Well, my feelings on this are... Mixed. Just like with The Unkindest Cut, the main plot pretty much fails automatically just for trying to make us feel for Quagmire, when I've said before that much like Chris he's a character who after almost a decade of being an insufferable asshole gives us no reason to feel sorry for him even in episodes where we're supposed to (like Quagmire's Mom). And the last few minutes perfectly showcase how even in those episodes they still can't help but make sure that he's still the insufferable asshole that's easily triggered over the most minor and petty things.

On the other hand, unlike last week's episode this one definitely had a clear 3 act story structure to it (probably helped by how there's no subplot), but even then they fumble in the last few minutes with the rushed climax and ultimately ending with a pointless act 4 scene that leaves a lot of lingering questions.

1.5/5 once again, but this time rounded up to a 2 for the poll for actually having a real story structure to it unlike last week's. Though it came dangerously close to once again being rounded down to a 1 thanks to the last few minutes highlighting perfectly why modern Quagmire episodes fail to make him a character worth feeling for, as well as just abruptly stopping with no proper resolution.
    Family Guy Season 17 Ratings - Married... with Cancer: .5/5 Dead Dog Walking: .5/5 Pal Stewie: 3/5 Big Trouble in Little Quahog: 3.5/5 Regarding Carter: 1.5/5 Stand by Meg: 2/5 Griffin Winter Games: 2.5/5 Con Heiress: 0/5 Pawtucket Pete: 2.5/5 Hefty Shades of Gray: .5/5 Trump Guy: .5/5 Bri, Robot: .5/5 Trans-Fat: 2/5 Family Guy Lite: 1.5/5 No Giggity, No Doubt: 1.5/5 You Can't Handle the Booth: 1/5 Island Adventure: 4/5 Throw It Away: 2/5 Girl, Internetted: 1.5/5 Adam West High: 1.5/5
    American Dad! Season 15 Ratings - Fantasy Baseball: 1.5/5 I Am the Jeans: The Gina Lavetti Story: 0/5 Stan & Francine & Connie & Ted: 0/5 Rabbit Ears: 1.5/5 Jeff and the Dank Ass Weed Factory: 1/5 Lost Boys: 0/5 Shark?!: TBD The Long March: TBD

I couldn't tell what was going on in the first few minutes. It started with something about the Patriots, then something about firemen, then something else. Once that was out of the way it was run of the mill.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree this was a marginal improvement over most of the bland episodes this season, although it's not much to write home about. The first act was pretty bad; too much gore and disconnected plot elements. But it picked up slightly after that with good jokes like Quagmire's slow cooker, the giant cameo scene, and the firemen callback. I didn't care for Quagmire suddenly lashing out at Courtney, or how quickly they were rescued. But overall, this was a decent watch.

3/5

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: John95

Blog Entries

The moderator normal one in this thread was funnier than the episode. 3/5

I feel like this episode could've been good if they didn't waste time on the party bus jokes. As it is the ending was a bit abrupt, felt like Quagmire being a corny overprotective dad was glossed over a bit.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by airalba View Post
    The moderator normal one in this thread was funnier than the episode. 3/5

those posts were in reference to @tormented snarking at me well i was having a irl panic attack but he deleted that post so yea i sorta just look like a lunatic

Blog Entries

i shouldnt have deleted it it was a good zinger

16. Thumbs Up To This Post by: cam

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quick composite of the "everyone" scene.

Prob just pulled randomly from the Macfarlane bank of model sheets, but I do enjoy they put in some lesser known characters in there (Stan's Brother, Terry, Gwen, Donna's extended family).

Plot was pretty decent and coherent for this show. Did actually show some of who Courtney was and made her and Quagmire believably love each other, was actually kinda sweet...Which makes Quagmire's sudden speech at the end hating all of it feel even sloppier, since there was some effort put into the plot and making Courtney likable.

2/5

So Adam West is dead in the show now. Wonder when they'll replace him in the intro, since Angela got replaced pretty quickly, or if they'll just keep him.

Seinfeld end credits music is dope, even if the joke wasn't.
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

18. Thumbs Up To This Post by: John95

The only good thing about this episode was casting Mandy Moore as Courtney. Other than that, it was just another shitty season 17 episode. In fact, this one is among the worst this season because of how scatterbrained it was. Quagmire just transitions into being a dad out of nowhere, without any hesitation or issues. Compare this to "Quagmire's Baby" which actually tried to show what would happen if Quagmire had to deal with a child. He was way truer to his character there than here. I don't think Quagmire would warm up to the idea of being a father so quickly, which is why his personality turn was so abrupt. Then he blows up near the end for no apparent reason, and takes it back in less than a minute. Courtney doesn't even react to it and there's no time for anything to sink in before they have to wrap the episode up. It's amazing how I'm still shocked at how bad the writing has been this season when it started in September.

That's not even getting into this annoying tendency to repeat jokes and make scenes drag for as long as possible. Maybe I'm going crazy, but didn't this show have a fast pace at one point? Now, every scene feels like it lasts way longer than it's supposed to be.

Or Meg being out of character. Why would she ever be interested in doing anything with Peter? Nothing she did in this episode made sense. The person that goes around killing people in a wedding dress is suddenly wanting to go see a movie and camp with her father? It feels like the writers were just trying to make their story work and they didn't care about what the characters would normally do. 1/5

It's starting to get really hard to talk about this show. It feels like at this point, the writers have no idea what it's supposed to be and they're just trying to make the laziest, most superficial version possible so they can keep getting steady paychecks.

20. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Beggs

The best part of the episode may have been its title. Alright, there were a couple of good jokes in it, but I'm with Dr. Nihilistic on this one.

It seems like the writers' current obsession is jokes that break the fourth wall and admit it's all a show. Not that they haven't done it before, but they seem to be making a point of throwing those jokes in regularly now, and they're not great. It's one of those things that just screams "We're sick of doing the show", or at least, that's how it comes across.

The plot itself would've worked better if the characters weren't hollow, misanthropic shells of their former selves, but as it stands, after the reveal Quagmire becomes annoying, Peter acts horribly, and then he and Quagmire have a scene where they compete to see who can be the biggest jerk before it all ends abruptly and without consequence. Oh, and a potshot at a much better show. No one's expecting high art or anything, it is Family Guy after all, but it's a show that has been capable of telling funny stories at least. Now it doesn't seem like they're trying.

I did like Mayor Adam West and Angela's ghosts, that felt like a nice tribute. I didn't mind West pushing Muriel's ghost away, as it was a little mean-spirited, but a decent gag all the same. The Peter headphones got me as well, and Peter pretending to hang himself and actually hovering in the air was good, though I'd have enjoyed it more if it didn't come in the middle of him being an unbearably passive-aggressive jerk. There were some pretty nasty and bitter swipes in this one that just left a bad taste. Overall, 1/5 for me. I don't set the bar that high for Family Guy these days and I try not to take it too seriously or anything, but this season continues to be a major letdown.
    A little less Generic than before.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

IDK what to react to this episode. It's at least more tolerable and less cringy than The Unkindest Cut, but of course, you can't have a modern Quagmire episode without the following:
    -Quagmire being a complete cynical asshole like always (name me one modern Quagmire episode where he doesn't get pissed off for no reason)
    -A angry speech from him to remind us why his Flanderization rivals Bonnie as the worst character derailment in FG.
    -Reminding us about his hatred on Brian (no surprise, Brian's only appearance here was when he ask Quagmire to follow him on Instagram)
    -His trans dad appearing (most of the time)

Most of the highlights come from the jokes and especially the shoutouts from MacFarlane shows and Seinfeld, although Quagmire's inconsistent character (going from a pervert hooking up his own daughter, to losing his temper over a score, to a caring dad, and then losing it once more before the fire strikes) and these forced fourth wall jokes is what brought it down. If he was less grumpy over the littlest things (Hey who remember when Joe used to yell at everything before Patrick Warburton got tired of screaming?), his bonding with Courtney would've been more heartwarming. Of course, I could've done without the fact that he was hooking up with her before the reveal, which incest is something I would never accept. So yeah, it's not a bad episode for modern Quagmire standards, but if he was much calmer and wasn't hooking up on his own daughter, this would've been as good as Quagmire's Baby (keep in mind this was the last episode before we found out about his hatred on Brian, so I can't believe it's been almost a decade since his personality has changed for the worse).

BTW, John95, funny you could mention because FOX seems to repay the favor by letting Lil Rel Howery guest star on Tangled, which also have Mandy Moore (although I think animation does take longer than live action if this was recorded before his show Rel even came out). It seems like a coincidence, especially since a certain company is about to own FG soon.
    Simpsons: 4 > 6 = 7 > 5 > 3 > 8 > 2 > 14 > 15 > 13 = 10 > 9 > 16 > 20 > 1 > 24 = 21 > 26 > 22 = 25 > 23 > 19 = 27 > 18 = 28 > 12 > 11 > 17 = 29

Family Guy: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 5 = 6 > 15 > 16 > 10 > 14 > > 7 = 11 = 9 > 8 > 12 = 13

American Dad: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 6 > 5 > 8 > 9 > 7 = 11 > 10 > 13 (so far) > 12

The Cleveland Show: 2 > 1 > 4 > 3

Futurama: 5 > 4 = 1 > 2 = 3 > 7 > 6

Rick and Morty: 2 > 1 > 3

23. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Beggs, John95

Blog Entries

sneakers o toole wasn't in the crowd scene. 0/5
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsbart View Post
    About milk, remember that this word has several meanings...

Sorry but I have no kind words for this one. Quagmire would have been a better father if it weren't for that rant and Peter was more and more unlikeable especially the way he treated Meg. I agree that Meg wanted to go out after killing people in a wedding dress from last week was wrong. It was forced and not funny. The only good thing were Angelas' and Adam Wests' ghosts. We'll miss them. I hate incest two and it was unacceptable in this episode. Both Quagmire and Peter were jerks in this one but Peter was the bigger one. This gets a 0.

I forgot to mention I also hated Megs' prom date.

Thread Information