Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: "Stark Raving Dad" to be pulled from circulation

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I guess that’s the problem with having so many guest stars on your show. You never know when their dirty laundry will be aired and you’ll have to eradicate their presence.

Still waiting for them to pull episodes with Apu.
    "Your tears say more than real evidence ever could."

Blog Entries

so like 80 percent of the total episodes

heck yea let’s do it
    Fuck Donald Trump. #NotMyPresident

Blog Entries

if any episode should be pulled next, given the standards of this example, it should be the Aerosmith episode

SuperFriend Rembrandt Q. Einstein's Avatar

Only possibly banworthy episodes are Lisa's Substitute, Beyond Blunderdome and Politically Inept. Every other problematic guest star either isn't that big a deal or can be cut.

5. Thumbs Up To This Post by: TenEight

Non-Simpsons scare me. Road Rage's Avatar

If only Prince was still alive. They could make his episode to replace this one, and say it was lost. In my fanfictions, I had Michael Jackson as a recurring character and they commented on the troubles he went through in his life. They should've made more episodes satirizing him using an impressionist, in my opinion.

8. Thumbs Up To This Post by: wiley207

Blog Entries

lol I think Mike Reiss didn't get the memo

gave his life for tourism Magnum's Avatar
    Blog Entries

probably the lamest episode between like the first half of season one until another simpsons clip show
    Quote Originally Posted by tones
    I was born with a wah-wah pedal

I don't think the quality matters, or else all episodes after Season 9 would get pulled. (No offense, people.)

Prices for Season 3 have skyrocketed on eBay (and most listings I saw drew attention to the episode being on there), which makes me all the more glad I got mine when I had the chance to back in 2016.
    Family Guy Season 17 Ratings - Married... with Cancer: .5/5 Dead Dog Walking: .5/5 Pal Stewie: 3/5 Big Trouble in Little Quahog: 3.5/5 Regarding Carter: 1.5/5 Stand by Meg: 2/5 Griffin Winter Games: 2.5/5 Con Heiress: 0/5 Pawtucket Pete: 2.5/5 Hefty Shades of Gray: .5/5 Trump Guy: .5/5 Bri, Robot: .5/5 Trans-Fat: 2/5 Family Guy Lite: 1.5/5 No Giggity, No Doubt: 1.5/5 You Can't Handle the Booth: 1/5 Island Adventure: 4/5 Throw It Away: 2/5 Girl, Internetted: 1.5/5 Adam West High: 1.5/5
    American Dad! Season 15 Ratings - Fantasy Baseball: 1.5/5 I Am the Jeans: The Gina Lavetti Story: 0/5 Stan & Francine & Connie & Ted: 0/5 Rabbit Ears: 1.5/5 Jeff and the Dank Ass Weed Factory: 1/5 Lost Boys: 0/5 Shark?!: 1/5 The Long March: 2/5 The Hall Monitor and the Lunch Lady: 0/5 Wild Women Do: TBD An Irish Goodbye: TBD Stompe le Monde: TBD

her cocoa is so chuggable PreciousBodilyFluids's Avatar

Mike reiss fucking blows. Missed out on the original commentary record for stark raving dad cuz he was pitching jokes for ice age 2 or making patronizing racist home videos abroad or some shit, but rolled out for a solo Easter egg commentary because of its Very Special Episode status

Then he didn't do most of the commentaries for season 4

And does anyone actually read his twitter? Hacky topical jokes 5 days late and he retweets himself constantly, also he wrote for the friggin Oscars this year

@aljean come get your man

Everyone involved with this ep had expressed disdain for MJ publically, but of course they were glad to have him on and didn't give a fuck about anything they thought he'd done until they felt the association might be to their disadvantage - as if anyone was raising a stink over a goddamn 30 year old episode of the Simpsons

Conceited virtue signaling garbage fire television series
    Last edited by PreciousBodilyFluids; 03-10-2019 at 08:55 AM.

Also ftr MJ guilty as hell *pats self on back*

I've been thinking about this overnight, and if they're pulling this episode... are they going to pull other things too? I'm certain that another season's DVDs feature Happy Birthday Lisa in some lame "jukebox" DVD extra. I think it's also featured in one of the CDs. Then there's Do the Bartman, which Michael was involved in. Will it be removed from the DVDs also? It is also on CD (and cassette/vinyl but I'd be surprised if those are still in production).

He also exists in some form or another in various other episodes. https://simpsonswiki.com/wiki/Michae...r)#Appearances The waters feel very muddied. I strongly disagree with pulling the episode, but if they want to rewrite history and pretend Michael Jackson wasn't on The Simpsons, they may as well do it properly.
    Last edited by Road Rage; 03-10-2019 at 07:17 AM.

17. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Beggs

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Pulling the episode from TV airings and from syndication packages is one thing, but to go out and scrub the episode from digital services and future DVDs is not something I agree with. Give people the option to view the episode, but remove the ability for the episode to pop up on FXX or whatever local station has them playing in syndication. Tack on a disclaimer at the beginning and perhaps direct people to services that help victims of abuse. Heck, have proceeds of future season 3 DVDs and digital purchases go to foundations for victims of child abuse.

I just find it odd that it took an HBO doc for James L Brooks to suddenly realize they once worked with a man who allegedly had done some really twisted things, and his response is to say he is against book burning but then go ahead and try to burn a chapter of Simpsons history. As others online have mentioned, it's a real Streisand Effect. TBH, if they just quietly removed it from airings and kept it up with a new disclaimer I don't think there would be this huge reaction from the internet. Stark Raving Dad probably has had more views and downloads in the past week than it had since it first aired. Basically the exact opposite of what Brooks wanted.

Then there is the question of other episodes featuring problematic guest stars. Shouldn't those be pulled? What's the criteria? It's a slippery slope and I personally don't think the producers handled it properly.
    UP AND ATOM!

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Homer View Post
    lol I think Mike Reiss didn't get the memo

SEASON 30 RANKINGS
    Bart's Not Dead - 2.5/5 / Heartbreak Hotel - 1.5/5 / My Way or the Highway to Heaven - 3/5
    THOH XXIX = Intrusion of the Pod-Y Switchers - 1.5/5 / Multiplisaty - 2.5/5 / Geriatric Park - 2/5
    Baby You Can't Drive My Car - 2/5 / From Russia Without Love - 3.5/5 / Werking Mom - 3/5
    Krusty the Clown - 4/5 / Daddicus Finch - 5/5 / 'Tis the 30th Season - 2/5 / Mad About the Toy - 1.5/5
    The Girl on the Bus - 2/5 / I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can - 4.5/5 / The Clown Stays in the Picture - 1.5/5
    101 Mitigations - 3/5 / I Want You (She's So Heavy) - 1/5 / E My Sports - 3.5/5
    Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy - 4.5/5 / Girl's in the Band - 4/5 / I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh - 1/5
    D'oh Canada - 2.5/5 / Woo-hoo Dunnit? - 3.5/5 / Crystal Blue-Haired Persuasion - 1.5/5

Blog Entries

Time to pull the Mel Gibson episode next

Al should contine, "I make common practice of softballing celebrities at the expense of satire so that I may reap the benefits of their cultural cachet, furthermore I remain willfully ignorant of even the most well-known and heinous accusations until the director of spanglish puts a fire under my ass"

Quote Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
    Time to pull the Mel Gibson episode next
    Considering that Beyond Blunderdome features far less satirical critique of its focal celebrity than SRD, this is actually surprisingly reasonable, although doing so would also be forgetting that this smacks of a publicity stunt in addition to a move conducted out of any genuine concern (I doubt that many casual viewers/public members herald "Blunderdome" as an iconic classic, particularly when compared with SRD).

23. Thumbs Up To This Post by: TenEight

Well, obviously since Michael Jackson was not a controversial figure at all before "Leaving Neverland", we just have to wait for the Mel Gibson documentary.

We're out of time.

Quote Originally Posted by 3t8yb View Post
    Well, obviously since Michael Jackson was not a controversial figure at all before "Leaving Neverland", we just have to wait for the Mel Gibson documentary.
    If that were to happen, they'd have to ban the season 11 DVD entirely. It's known that Mike Scully and Julie Thacker are at the very least casual friends of Mel Gibson, both personal and professional. Scully's daughters supposedly went to the same school as Gibson's own children. Not only this led to his Simpsons guest appearance, but it also led Gibson to work as an executive producer in direct collaboration with Scully on Complete Savages later on (complete with directing and even acting gigs).

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by ataeaf View Post
    I don’t like this. Yeah, I get why they’re doing this, but this does feel like a publicity stunt. They shouldn’t erase a perfectly fine episode for the sake of cheap PR and gaining a bit of relevance.
    Fox wouldn't be the first company to do something like this. Right after the facts behind the Chris Benoit murder/suicide became known, WWE went to great pains to remove pretty much all references to him from its shows and products. Examples: all appearances of him speaking or wrestling were cut out of the WCW and WWE repeats it aired on its On Demand channel (the predecessor to WWE Network); an upcoming WWE video game missed that Christmas season because Benoit had to be removed from it; and, not only did the company stop selling its Benoit DVD, but threatened legal action against any store that sold it. (BTW, they did restore the Benoit footage for WWE Network, but with a disclaimer at the start of each show he is in.)

I am assuming the reason for the MJ action is the same; somebody is afraid that too many people will see the episode and respond, "How could you? This is a new low, and that's saying something about the company that is responsible for Fox News. I am no longer watching/letting my children watch this show." I also wonder how much of a hand Disney has in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Squid View Post
    Stark Raving Dad probably has had more views and downloads in the past week than it had since it first aired. Basically the exact opposite of what Brooks wanted.
    Which is always what happens any time something is censored or suppressed. Its appeal is increased and it's guaranteed people will see it. But that assumes their primary goal was to prevent people from seeing it. I'm sure they know people are going to see it. Their goal is to wash their hands of any involvement with a controversial figure.

The Simpsons just keeps finding new ways to mark itself as the most pathetic show on television.

29. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Snaked

Hmm. It's still available for purchase digitally on Amazon and Google, but has been pulled from iTunes. I have only checked within the UK though. Also, £2 for a single episode is a scam. I paid less than that for the entirety of Season 3 on DVD, with extras and all!

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Slate has a good article on the situation: https://slate.com/culture/2019/03/si...ad-pulled.html

In typical "Simpsons already did it" fashion, they point out the episode "Itchy & Scratchy & Marge".

32. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Road Rage

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

@CrumbBum I reached that conclusion a number of years ago thanks to the Catholic Church.

Junior Camper

Another nail in the coffin. I haven't seen the documentary, but regardless of whether it definatively proves the allegations against MJ, I don't understand what point the producers are trying to make by pulling an episode in which MJ doesn't even voice himself. Are they trying to appear woke? Do they think viewers are so dumb they won't be able to acnowledge the fact that the episode was made years before MJ was accused of anything? This is a slippery slope which could lead to them pulling other classic episodes which don't "fit in" in 2019, or worse: editing them. It's bad enough we get abominations like 'Kamp Krustier' and 'Singin' in the Lane' shitting all over the classics.

These rumours have been around for over a decade and they only saw fit to remove this episode when a documentary came out? No one was even talking about 'Stark Raving Dad'. This reeks of headline grabbing desperation, which makes me feel even more sympathetic towards the episode. It may as well be collateral damage in the show's latest attempt to stay relevant.

"This is our book, and we're allowed to take out a chapter."

Well, IMO, when you put art out into the world it becomes the property of everyone that loves it. I don't claim any ownership or rights over classic episodes, but 'Stark Raving Dad' is close to a lot of diehard Simpsons fans' hearts, and surely they must've known that they'd piss them off by doing this, and only placate the same whiny SJWs that were on their backs regarding the Apu debacle. I'm just glad I have my own copy of "the book" which I'll never be removing this chapter from.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The s3 dvd is selling for $100 on amazon right now.

Bring on the men Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

@J.J.Watts, Jackson actually did voice himself in the episode. He was credited under the pseudonym “John Jay Smith.” Kipp Lennon, a Jackson impersonator, did the singing, though. I don’t remember why.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

Thread Information