Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: "Stark Raving Dad" to be pulled from circulation

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

"Stark Raving Dad" to be pulled from circulation

https://tvline.com/2019/03/07/the-si...e-allegations/

A fan-favorite episode of The Simpsons featuring Michael Jackson is being pulled from circulation in the wake of HBO’s disturbing new documentary Leaving Neverland.
    “I’m against book burning of any kind,” producer Jim Brooks tells The Wall Street Journal. “But this is our book, and we’re allowed to take out a chapter.”

Leaving Neverland, which aired earlier this week in two parts, paints a horrific portrait of the late pop star, as two men who knew him when they were children — Wade Robson and James Safechuck — allege that they suffered years of sexual abuse at Jackson’s hands. The documentary originally premiered in Jan. 2019 at the Sundance Film Festival.
    not entirely sure I agree with this decision, though I see why they are doing it.
    Fuck Donald Trump. #NotMyPresident

He didn't even sing on that episode.

the thing is, this is not the first time that people have claimed he sexually assaulted them.. I guess times are changing, why now but not before still confuses me... not that I support ripping out pages from a book.

SuperFriend Rembrandt Q. Einstein's Avatar

It's an slightly unexpected decision, since the sexual assault allegations have been well-known for years. I can't blame them, but I figure people should be able to decide if they still want to separate the art from the artist in this case.

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frankbags View Post

the thing is, this is not the first time that people have claimed he sexually assaulted them.. I guess times are changing, why now but not before still confuses me... not that I support ripping out pages from a book.
    They were willing to dismiss the mountains of legitimate allegations of harassment and assault against Michael Jackson until it wasn't so easy to dismiss thanks to a well-put together documentary with testimony that spelled it out for them. Just like they were willing to dismiss the criticism of Apu and how offensive certain folks in the Indian-American community found his portrayal to be until a documentary did the same thing and they ripped out the character's voice box.

Plus, this gets them easy PR points with a softball gesture. That's always a win.
    SEASON 30 RANKINGS
    Bart's Not Dead - 2.5/5 / Heartbreak Hotel - 1.5/5 / My Way or the Highway to Heaven - 3/5
    THOH XXIX = Intrusion of the Pod-Y Switchers - 1.5/5 / Multiplisaty - 2.5/5 / Geriatric Park - 2/5
    Baby You Can't Drive My Car - 2/5 / From Russia Without Love - 3.5/5 / Werking Mom - 3/5
    Krusty the Clown - 4/5 / Daddicus Finch - 5/5 / 'Tis the 30th Season - 2/5 / Mad About the Toy - 1.5/5
    The Girl on the Bus - 2/5 / I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can - 4.5/5 / The Clown Stays in the Picture - 1.5/5
    101 Mitigations - 3/5 / I Want You (She's So Heavy) - 1/5 / E My Sports - 3.5/5
    Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy - 4.5/5 / Girl's in the Band - 4/5 / I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh - 1/5
    D'oh Canada - 2.5/5 / Woo-hoo Dunnit? - 3.5/5 / Crystal Blue-Haired Persuasion - 1.5/5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frankbags View Post
    Not to mention that MJ voiced his impersonator under the alias "John Jay Smith". I remember that.

Blog Entries

It's already been pulled from the Simpsons World platform

Quote Originally Posted by hanna hilton View Post
    It's already been pulled from the Simpsons World platform
    I was still able to purchase the digital license for the episode from YouTube roughly 30 minutes ago... but I don't imagine that it will remain up for long. (For the record, I have no qualms with them making this decision.)

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    I was still able to purchase the digital license for the episode from YouTube roughly 30 minutes ago... but I don't imagine that it will remain up for long. (For the record, I have no qualms with them making this decision.)
    How does youtube deal with that? are you just buying a streaming license or an actual digital copy?

it's a pretty devastating documentary but unless the jackson estate gets any money from reruns of this episode it really is an empty gesture

good thing I have season 3 on dvd
    Simpsons Comics 1993-2018

Blog Entries

MICHAEL JACKSON INNOCENT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam, tyler

Bring on the men Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well shit. I haven’t heard of this documentary, but it really sucks that they’re trying to remove all traces of the episode because of it. It really will be a “lost episode” of sorts. The only time I think they did anything like this before was with The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson after 9/11, and that re-entered circulation after a while. I can only hope that happens with this as well, but I’m not holding my breath. It’s not an especially great episode for its era, but that’s not the point!
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

They're full of shit for this.

I'm starting to think the only reason they do stuff like this is to get attention. They don't care about the documentary or the allegations, because if they did, they would have done this years ago.

It's especially laughable when you consider how badly they handled the Apu situation, but a documentary comes out and now they want to protect people from the big scary monster MJ being in one of their episodes? All this will do is make people want to seek it out more to see what all the fuss is about.

For a long time, I’ve been willing to put up with this show’s continued existence, out of morbid curiosity to see how bad the new episodes could get. But banning the old episodes just for another taste of relevance? That’s screwed up.

Additionally, given the modern world’s treatment of celebrities, I don’t see this ending any time soon. Hundreds of notable episodes could be gone at some point, just because the guest stars were terrible people. Newsflash, the show itself once understood that Hollywood was corrupt, regardless of their output! (2F17)

We’ll always have older prints of the Season 3 DVD, and we’ll always have big bad illegal no-no websites to watch Stark Raving Dad on, but as someone who separates the art from the artist, doing this proves nothing. It’s just another trick to get nostalgic Simpsons fans riled up for a few weeks.

Blog Entries

the gesture is pretty hollow because not only is it 30 years too late michael jackson is hardly the only sketchy celebrity theyve featured on the show. and no one should really care if one turns out to be shit anyway, unless the simps statf knew and ignored it. i didnt see mr brooks make a statement when mario batali was credibly accused of sexual assault just months after he appeared as himself, and the show seems content being unwoke, so why even bother really?

well I guess I can name another example of an episode being pulled from reruns, PBS pulled the Arthur episode The Great Macgrady just because Lance Armstrong was in the episode....that's kind of an unfair reason, he may have pumped up but he was also a cancer survivor right? and oh btw Armstrong did also guest star on the Simpsons so why hasn't that been pulled.....because his role was only small.

small roles can be edited out without pulling an episode. MJ was a reclusive fr**k and to be honest I'm kind of glad to see the back of him in the Simmo.

Blog Entries

they should pull season 10 next hi-ooooo

yeah but iagree, seems hollow and just a move to get some sort of attention

Blog Entries

I thought guest stars get a one-time payment of like $500 and a t-shirt? Maybe his estate still gets residuals because he wrote Happy Birthday Lisa? Anyway I think playing this game of pretending he never existed is stupid

“Pretension” by Calvin Klein ataeaf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don’t like this. Yeah, I get why they’re doing this, but this does feel like a publicity stunt. They shouldn’t erase a perfectly fine episode for the sake of cheap PR and gaining a bit of relevance.
    ah (as in apple)-tuh-eef

Blog Entries

I can rest easier knowing Paris Jackson won't be getting that 17 cents now

(edit: For context this was in response to a now-deleted post that linked this https://twitter.com/search?q=filter%...duals&src=typd)

“Pretension” by Calvin Klein ataeaf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I heard someone suggest that they should keep the episode on Simpsons World and DVD releases and include a disclaimer like the WB Golden Collection DVD sets, and that sounds perfect to me:

Well, this is why physical media is important.
    "Your tears say more than real evidence ever could."

Junior Camper

Maybe he was a monster, maybe he was everything people are accusing him of being, but we have to hold to the idea that a man is innocent until proven guilty. And when he went to court, Jackson was found innocent. The legal process cannot be circumvented by emotion or outrage, otherwise what justice is there?
    I see why they've done it, I understand their reasoning, but it's still a case of yielding to hysterics, rather than putting faith in the legal system, and that sticks in my craw.

Blog Entries

"putting faith in the justice system" that is assuming the legal system itself is just. we've seen numerous times that's not the case. (insert Brad talking about Paul Manafort here)

also it is their show, they made the episodes, they can pull whatever ones they want for whatever flimsy reasons they want. it sucks, but that is the way it is.

27. Thumbs Up To This Post by: TenEight

Blog Entries

also like look at R. Kelly, that dude has also been accused of numerous sex crimes involving minors, was also at one point acquitted of all charges, and is now being indicted with more charges, despite being found innocent in the past. sometimes the legal system doesn't get things right.

29. Thumbs Up To This Post by: TenEight

I wonder if this will create a frenzy for purchasing the season 3 dvd sets?

Blog Entries

there's millions of them out there, they won't be hard to find

Quote Originally Posted by Commodus View Post
    I see why they've done it, I understand their reasoning, but it's still a case of yielding to hysterics, rather than putting faith in the legal system, and that sticks in my craw.
    The same legal system that just gave Paul Manafort what amounts to a 32-month sentence for 8 federal crimes and inferred he had led an otherwise blameless life and was a good friend and generous person? THAT same legal system?

Did you overlook the fact that those rulings of innocence were heavily predicated on the testimony of Michael Jackson's victims... two of whom were the focus of this documentary and admitted they lied under oath about what Michael did to them?

Quote Originally Posted by hanna hilton View Post
    "putting faith in the justice system" that is assuming the legal system itself is just. we've seen numerous times that's not the case. (insert Brad talking about Paul Manafort here)
    Damn it... I hate being predictable.

I'll reiterate what I said over on Resetera...

Incidentally, I'm not sure this decision would have been made so ostentatiously had Al Jean (the Simpsons long-time and current showrunner) not been the one who wrote Stark Raving Dad (alongside Mike Reiss). I imagine he took Michael at his word and was similarly blinded to his celebrity (as many people have been) until Leaving Neverland opened his eyes to what a monster this man was.

He afforded Jackson the benefit of the doubt... that's a perfectly human thing to do. We all make mistakes and this is the show's way of correcting one.

33. Thumbs Up To This Post by: TenEight

We're out of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nihilistic View Post
    They're full of shit for this.

I'm starting to think the only reason they do stuff like this is to get attention. They don't care about the documentary or the allegations, because if they did, they would have done this years ago.

It's especially laughable when you consider how badly they handled the Apu situation, but a documentary comes out and now they want to protect people from the big scary monster MJ being in one of their episodes? All this will do is make people want to seek it out more to see what all the fuss is about.
    Sadly, I have to agree with all of the above. It's a kneejerk response designed to avoid bad press from any media outlets that try to paint them as villains for even being associated with MJ. It's the Woody Allen situation all over again.

People have serious problems in trying to disassociate the author from the work. I'm not going to stop listening to iconic MJ songs just because of the man's mistakes.

Having said that, it was probably not a decision made by either Al Jean or any of the producers. In this case, it was probably a response directly from Fox. Of course, you won't see the Simpsons writers/producers disagreeing with this choice either, but they really don't have any authority to pull episodes from airing.

Thread Information