View Poll Results: Here is the poll where you can rate the episode.

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 Isn't it romantic?

1 10.00%
  • 4/5 LiteBrite™

1 10.00%
  • 3/5 eh it was ok

4 40.00%
  • 2/5 LITE on laughs

2 20.00%
  • 1/5 Another fad diet...

2 20.00%

Thread: R&R FAMILY GUY S17E14 "Family Guy Lite"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

R&R FAMILY GUY S17E14 "Family Guy Lite"

After a mishap at work, Peter decides to take his health more seriously and diet with the help of Quagmire, Joe, and Cleveland. Meanwhile, when Lois takes a stab at writing a romantic fantasy novel, a curious Brian and Stewie investigate to find out who she might have a crush.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

Stuff I liked
    Peter's surf lesson
    "Stairs! Why'd it have to be stair?"
    Brian eating food on the table like an actual dog.
    Brian being kicked by the horse... The first time anyways

Stuff I didn't like
    Guy that he and Peter had a gay encounter with.
    Chris walking past after showering... And of course they had to go and do it a second time, where it now made no sense!
    Joe asking Peter to kill him.
    Overly Long Gag of the Week: Jayce taking forever to explain to Peter why pizza is unhealthy.
    Brian being kicked by the horse again.
    The final act 4 scene was pretty much there just for the sake of another pointless tired jab at Brian.

Well, this was pretty much a standard Peter and the guys episode that started and ended with only a few notable jokes in-between, but nothing to make me remember it in the long run come next week. The main plot didn't really go anywhere and the whole thing with Peter being trapped in Quagmire's house struck me the same way that many twists on AD! do where they occur simply for the sake of having a twist despite it having no buildup or making any logical sense.

While it was nice to have Lois being a little more active considering that she seems to have been taking more of a backseat recently than Meg (which is ironic since to my best knowledge Alex Borstein is actually around more than Mila), the subplot was basically Stand by Meg 2 where Lois felt like a supporting character in her own story that ultimately turned into yet another Brian & Stewie adventure (and a pretty lame one at that). And much like the main plot, it never really went anywhere and ended on an abrupt and unsatisfying note.

1.5//5 once again rounded down to a 1 for the poll. I was actually very close to having this be a 2 for the gags I listed had it not been for the AD!-esque end of act 2/beginning of act 3 plot twist.
    Family Guy Season 17 Ratings - Married... with Cancer: .5/5 Dead Dog Walking: .5/5 Pal Stewie: 3/5 Big Trouble in Little Quahog: 3.5/5 Regarding Carter: 1.5/5 Stand by Meg: 2/5 Griffin Winter Games: 2.5/5 Con Heiress: 0/5 Pawtucket Pete: 2.5/5 Hefty Shades of Gray: .5/5 Trump Guy: .5/5 Bri, Robot: .5/5 Trans-Fat: 2/5 Family Guy Lite: 1.5/5 No Giggity, No Doubt: 1.5/5 You Can't Handle the Booth: 1/5 Island Adventure: 4/5 Throw It Away: 2/5 Girl, Internetted: 1.5/5 Adam West High: 1.5/5
    American Dad! Season 15 Ratings - Fantasy Baseball: 1.5/5 I Am the Jeans: The Gina Lavetti Story: 0/5 Stan & Francine & Connie & Ted: 0/5 Rabbit Ears: 1.5/5 Jeff and the Dank Ass Weed Factory: 1/5 Lost Boys: 0/5 Shark?!: TBD The Long March: TBD

Blog Entries

shrug. i enjoyed the visual of brian eating sideways and stewie being mistaken for an employee but the rest of this was pretty nondescript for modern family guy, and the portapotty scene was just gross. also they need to stop making jokes about deleting browser histories. 2/5

5. Thumbs Up To This Post by: John95, Sam

While not the worst of the season they could've done better. They didn't have to drag that stupid pizza joke that long. Why don't the writers learn their lessons?

They made references to Looney Tunes and broke the fourth wall a few times. I have to admit the stair part, pizza joke, and bathroom joke went on too long. Good story. 3/5

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

I was surprised the closing tag wasn't some joke involving Peter regaining all of his weight.

And did Meg even appear on the screen in this episode?

@That Don Guy, She was eating pizza in that one scene, but I forgot she was even there since it was following up on a pretty bad drawn out gag.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

If we can all agree, this season of Family Guy has been doing a poor job at these ending. I hate how they're going through the Simpsons route where there has to be a fourth act just to insert some dumb random gag.

As for the episode itself, Family Guy Lite (gosh, what a lazy title) was actually relatable when it comes to the main plot. Like Peter, I can have a bad habit of starting my diet and then screwing up by eating more unhealthily foods. As a pizza lover, that guy talking about pizza was pretty annoying. Subplot was fine, but of course, the moment we heard of Lois being some sort of author, Brian has to hog the spotlight again. Apparently, Stewie has two jobs, which were funny to see.
    Simpsons: 4 > 6 = 7 > 5 > 3 > 8 > 2 > 14 > 15 > 13 = 10 > 9 > 16 > 20 > 1 > 24 = 21 > 26 > 22 = 25 > 23 > 19 = 27 > 18 = 28 > 12 > 11 > 17 = 29

Family Guy: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 5 = 6 > 15 > 16 > 10 > 14 > > 7 = 11 = 9 > 8 > 12 = 13

American Dad: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 6 > 5 > 8 > 9 > 7 = 11 > 10 > 13 (so far) > 12

The Cleveland Show: 2 > 1 > 4 > 3

Futurama: 5 > 4 = 1 > 2 = 3 > 7 > 6

Rick and Morty: 2 > 1 > 3

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by John95 View Post
    @That Don Guy, She was eating pizza in that one scene, but I forgot she was even there since it was following up on a pretty bad drawn out gag.
    It's the dough. Well, that, and the tomato sauce, but mainly the dough.

We're at the point where the show doesn't even care about finishing the stories it sets up. I don't know what the point was in the whole Peter plot. He's tired of being out of shape and wants to lose weight, he makes no effort to lose weight, he gets forcibly locked in some dungeon where he can't eat anything, and the episode ends with him being some skinny, flabby mess. It just ends. The plot really felt like it was missing one or two scenes and got cut for time. There was no way the last scene was supposed to be Peter getting excited over a nonexistent threesome with his bosses.

If anything, the subplot should have been the main plot because it felt like one that actually had some structure to it. It's kinda sad that part of me believed that Lois was actually having an affair. I mean, there was a gag two episodes ago about her leaving a hotel with another guy, so why not go that route? The one scene that stuck out to me was when Brian confronts Lois. Lois seemed legitimately disrespected by the belief that she would ever cheat on Peter. I might be looking into it too much, but she was genuinely disgusted by what Brian did. I mentioned this in my last review, but it really seems like the writers are finally acknowledging the fact that their characters are horrible people and we shouldn't be rooting for them. In the last three episodes, the characters have all reacted to situations in a very realistic way. A couple seasons ago, Brian was openly preying on Patty and he barely got talked to about it. Now, it's like the show is actively trying to make us see that these characters are horrible and stupid. But we already knew that, so I don't know what the endgame is. 2/5

Oddly, I thought Chris was one of the funnier parts of the episode, both walking through in his towel and the library PSA at the end (if only because it was so ridiculously out of character). Peter's surfing lesson was also pretty good, and for some reason, I found Stewie spilling his drink in the car funny as well. Unfortunately, nothing else worked for me. Three overly long gags, smug Millennial bashing, a tired fourth wall-breaking joke, Quagmire rape jokes...essentially, mean-spirited attempts at being witty and edgy falling flat, which has sadly become the show's trademark.

Both plots were underwhelming. The Lois subplot would've been better if Brian hadn't tried to seduce her but instead just suspected her of having an affair to begin with. They could've still had Lois be offended at the suggestion and chew him out for thinking that and pointing out that he's hardly one to point fingers at other people, but instead they doubled down on Jerk Brian, again. Peter's plot seemed like a first act stretched out the length of the episode, with no proper ending.

1/5. This has felt like a particularly weak season. It feels like no one working on the show wants to be doing it anymore.
    A little less Generic than before.

Quote Originally Posted by fas1997 View Post
    Family Guy Lite (gosh, what a lazy title)
    Absolutely true. Seems like ever since Season 7 they just slap the name Family Guy then change one of the words (I.E. Family Gay, Christmas Guy, Trump Guy, etc.) when they could've seriously come up with better names.

The problems with this episode have pretty much all been covered above, so I'll try and be brief. This was yet another "Peter gets a hobby" episode, but the plot was even less interesting than usual. At first I assumed Peter would be fired from his job, but he didn't seem to face any consequences for what he did, so I don't quite get the point of those scenes. The conflict was extremely weak and time was largely used up by overlong jokes that didn't hit the mark. And the subplot was smug Brian at his worst, although at least he got kicked a few times. Really, this episode was, above all, just plain old forgettable... but, with how boring this season has been as a whole, I should've expected that.

2/5

This was a poor remake of He's too sexy for his fat. When Peter got thin, he got buffed and it was handled better. But in this one, WTF?!!!! He'll be fat again next episode. The subplot was a little better and I loved Brian getting kicked. That was the real good joke and Peter exercising into the restaraunt. This stinker gets a 1.5.

Junior Camper

A bit of an odd episode. I agree with the comments above- there were some basic plot issues, with a lack of a reset ending on the Peter diet storyline and a strange lack of consequences for Peter having caused "millions of dollars' worth of damage" at the brewery. That said, the sub-plot was entertaining and it was a funnier episode overall than 'Trans-fat' in my opinion.

Things I laughed at
    The 'silent part of George Michael's Faith' cutaway. I thought that was a brilliant gag actually.
    The horse munching on Brian's blonde wig
    'Mr Slinky the accountant' going up the stairs past Peter
    Lois adding "heaving bosom" at the end of her story

Verdict: 3/5

Thread Information