View Poll Results: Who is worse?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jerkass Homer

4 23.53%
  • Killjoy Marge

13 76.47%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is worse: Jerkass Homer or Killjoy Marge?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

The lovable chimney sweep Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Who is worse: Jerkass Homer or Killjoy Marge?

I feel like Marge in the HD era is often worse than Homer in the Scully era. Jerkass Homer is a dick for no real reason, and he can be insufferable at times, but Marge’s actions in the HD era toward Homer bother me ten times more than Jerkass Homer ever did. A lot of this is because while Jerkass Homer’s behavior usually doesn’t shape the entire episode, Bitch Marge often gets angry at Homer for small things, and the entire episode is devoted to Homer making it up to her. Something else that bothers me more about her than Homer is the fact that she is rarely treated as being in the wrong. Homer is always the one who has to make it up to her; the episode rarely makes Marge admit she was wrong or that she overreacted.

I get that Homer would not be an easy husband to have, but there are times when Marge goes way over the line in her expectations of him and her reactions when he doesn’t live up to them. The episode that does this the worst is What Animated Women Want. Marge wants to have “grown-up conversations” at a restaurant, but Homer only wants to eat. Is she too stupid to know her husband would behave in this exact way? It just felt ridiculously petty and mean that she would hold such a grudge against Homer for this reason. And let’s take the most recent episode, I’m Dancing as Fat as I Can. Marge doesn’t want Homer to watch a TV show without her, and when he does, she stays mad for days until his grand gesture. She’s again making a mountain out of a molehill.

A part of it could just be that even when he’s an asshole, Homer is often still a funny asshole. Marge doesn’t have that luxury, so she leaves much more of a sour taste than Homer does when he acts like a jerk.

Anyway, which one of these characters do you think is worse?
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

To me it's a tie.

But for now I'm going with Bitch Marge.

Obviously neither are optimal or desirable characterisation, but I'd have to say that Marge is worse.

While Jerkass Homer has been detrimental to the show on many occasions, he's still had traces of his original characterisation. It's just that the wrong elements have been dialled up and exaggerated, the "lovable" part stripped from "lovable oaf". I'd also suggest there have been times where he's been funny and/or the episode has worked despite the less desirable characterisation, perhaps because there's been varying degrees of Jerkass Homer, and other elements of the show were still good.

Conversely, Marge's less sympathetic characterisation is pretty much the same thing every time, and so hasn't really allowed for any great stories. I can't recall it resulting in too many laughs, either. It's felt more repetitive and formulaic than Jerkass Homer, who at least got up to some zany adventures. That's not necessarily good in and of itself, but for better or worse, they went big with him. Angry Marge, on the other hand, has been a noticeable part of a generally stale era of the show. It also doesn't help that Marge's voice is more gravelly and grating, particularly when she's angry or upset. Combine it with repetitive stories where her anger feels forced or even unfair and unjustified, and I'd say it's less enjoyable by default.
    A little less Generic than before.

6. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Yup, still the worst. Venomrabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Gotta agree with Beggs there. Jerkass Homer at least has some range.

Think the other thing is JAH tended to at least bring the plot about and for better or worse, his zany schemes have a fair bit of variety. Meanwhile Bitch Marge always feels like padding onto a story and usually could be swapped out or tossed with little effect. Like half of them would work just as well if once in a while she could be sad rather than angry but then upsetting her is what gets to Homer. I'd still say neither of them are the worst of the family's worst versions though.

8. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

thinks possums are neat BloodySimpsonChibi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd have to go with Bitch Marge because as FP already mentioned, at least Jerkass Homer is still kinda funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    I'd imagine patting Lisa on the head would sting, damn kids with their spiky heads.

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: $impson

"Jerkass Homer" has the redeeming quality of at least being funny much of the time. "Bitch Marge" is never funny. I'll take "Trash of the Titans" any day over "What Animated Women Want".

Now how about Bitch Marge vs. Pussy Bart?
    "Your tears say more than real evidence ever could."

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Bitch Marge. It’s literally her main character at this point in the past decade and I feel like she’s never satifised with Homer.
    Simpsons: 4 > 6 = 7 > 5 > 3 > 8 > 2 > 14 > 15 > 13 = 10 > 9 > 16 > 20 > 1 > 24 = 21 > 26 > 22 = 25 > 23 > 19 = 27 > 18 = 28 > 12 > 11 > 17 = 29

Family Guy: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 5 = 6 > 15 > 16 > 10 > 14 > > 7 = 11 = 9 > 8 > 12 = 13

American Dad: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 6 > 5 > 8 > 9 > 7 = 11 > 10 > 13 (so far) > 12

The Cleveland Show: 2 > 1 > 4 > 3

Futurama: 5 > 4 = 1 > 2 = 3 > 7 > 6

Rick and Morty: 2 > 1 > 3

Blog Entries

yea i hate women too

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    yea i hate women too
    I'm glad we all agree.

Honestly, Jerkass Homer is fairly on par with Bitch Marge. However, Jerkass Homer goes on fun adventures. So, I have to give him that.

B*tch Marge is the worse of the two due to the Scully era at least having the backing of George Meyer on rewrites, which allowed Jerkass Homer the occasional decently amusing line (mostly confined to being among the S9-12 Swartzwelder episodes' more distinctive redeeming traits, such as the Max Power material in Homer to the Max). By comparison, b*tch Marge is largely a formulaic plot convenience designed to shoehorn conflict into any given episode (including numerous Lisa episodes recently, for some reason), which is ultimately farther removed from the show's priorities as, y'know, a comedy (at least they somewhat attempted to utilize Jerkass Homer for comedic purposes despite the high miss ratio, whilst the HD era continually asks the viewer to take b*tch Marge as a serious component of the surrounding episode despite her absurd behaviour).
    Last edited by Captain Wacky; 02-11-2019 at 02:37 PM.

oh dear, I say! The Spruce Moose's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sure, the male protagonist of this show got turned into an entirely unlikeable jerk who's wackiness was key to the decline of the show, but how can we deflect from that and talk about women we don't like?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Egg Council Creepy View Post
    Here's FIVE non-rock songs I like:
    Take On Me
    Hello
    Mad World
    Unreal Superhero 3
    Lisa Frank 420/Modern Computing
    So i'm not a rockist

Quote Originally Posted by Nitsy View Post
    "Jerkass Homer" has the redeeming quality of at least being funny much of the time. "Bitch Marge" is never funny. I'll take "Trash of the Titans" any day over "What Animated Women Want".

Now how about Bitch Marge vs. Pussy Bart?
    Pussy Bart. In the beginning Bart had a no care attitude with a set of morals. Now he's just sad and pitiful. Between all the girls he dates and how he screws up each relationship and to how to where he could have been someone yo now that he has accepted he will always be a loser.
    Alright Brain, you don't like me, and I don't like you. But let's just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer.

Killjoy Marge. She gets mad at the most mundane things and goes out of her way to make Homer feel like shit for no reason. Homer can be a jackass and a bit impulsive but Marge has gone from nag to someone who could kill a party if it got to loud.

Quote Originally Posted by The Spruce Moose View Post
    Sure, the male protagonist of this show got turned into an entirely unlikeable jerk who's wackiness was key to the decline of the show, but how can we deflect from that and talk about women we don't like?
    I don't hate Marge but I dislike Lisa.

20. Thumbs Up To This Post by: $impson

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wacky View Post
    B*tch Marge is the worse of the two due to the Scully era at least having the backing of George Meyer on rewrites, which allowed Jerkass Homer the occasional decently amusing line (mostly confined to being among the S9-12 Swartzwelder episodes' more distinctive redeeming traits, such as the Max Power material in Homer to the Max). By comparison, b*tch Marge is largely a formulaic plot convenience designed to shoehorn conflict into any given episode (including numerous Lisa episodes recently, for some reason), which is ultimately farther removed from the show's priorities as, y'know, a comedy (at least they somewhat attempted to utilize Jerkass Homer for comedic purposes despite the high miss ratio, whilst the HD era continually asks the viewer to take b*tch Marge as a serious component of the surrounding episode despite her absurd behaviour).
    Well the conflict I see with Marge and Lisa could be that it's mother and daughter. I saw it with my sister when she was a teenager. My mother and her didn't get along. I think it's the idea of us not wanting to be like our parents. The episode where Lisa wants to go into space and Marge shows her up infuriates Lisa because: 1. Marge is smarter than her, 2. Marge has the ability to exceed better than Lisa can, and 3. Where Lisa takes it seriously, Marge finds enjoyment. You see the same with the episode where Marge and Lisa make a comic book Whee both their egos show. Homer and Bart are the same way. That's why the Lisa meshes with Homer and Marge with Bart.

Quote Originally Posted by $impson View Post
    I'm glad we all agree.

Honestly, Jerkass Homer is fairly on par with Bitch Marge. However, Jerkass Homer goes on fun adventures. So, I have to give him that.
    Don't forget:

Nobody snuggles with Max Power.
    - You strap yourself in and feel the G's!

(Sorry, this was the first thing that popped in my head when I read your post).

23. Thumbs Up To This Post by: $impson

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shoskin View Post
    Don't forget:

Nobody snuggles with Max Power.
    - You strap yourself in and feel the G's!
    Nobody forgets Max Power. He's the man with the name you want to touch, but you mustn't touch.

25. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Shoskin

Non-Simpsons scare me. Road Rage's Avatar

What happened to the original thread title and poll options? Now it's inconsistent with the post body and the discussion.

27. Thumbs Up To This Post by: $impson

Banned

Maybe the mods didn't like the term "bitch Marge."

The lovable chimney sweep Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, people didn’t like the term and mods changed it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Spruce Moose View Post
    So you can’t talk about Marge in a negative light because it’s “misogynistic”? Any discussion of Marge’s character derailment is a deflection?

Seems like you’re the one engaging in whataboutism.
    Last edited by Nitsy; 02-12-2019 at 07:49 AM.

31. Thumbs Up To This Post by: $impson

Blog Entries

surely there is a better way to talk about the negative attributes of Marge than to refer to her as a bitch and lament about her being an obnoxious nag to homer, who apparently is at least "funny" and able to go on "wacky adventures"

like the thread wasn't a good idea from the start, referring to her as "bitch", but it soon became worse when y'all made it clear you see marge as this big bitchy anchor that exists only to keep homer down and from being funny. as if he wasn't capable of that on his own over the last 20 years.
    Fuck Donald Trump. #NotMyPresident

Blog Entries

simpsons section users have just proven time again they fundamentally don't understand why the simpsons even used to be quality. it's sad

34. Thumbs Up To This Post by: $impson

Banned

You seem to think this is an either/or situation, where either Marge can be a bitch or Homer is a jerkass. It's both.

For clarity, marge isn't a bitch. She was being a bitch, like Homer was being a jerkass.

Jerkass Homer is terrible, but has a few positive qualities. Bitch Marge just drags things down without affecting the story in a positive way.

If you have a problem with that, take it up with the writers who limit Marge's issues to "marriage crisis" and "Homer nagging," not fans who voice issues with this characterization.

Blog Entries

Using "Bitch Marge" when "jerkass" is gender neutral is misogyny. "Pussy Bart" is also misogynistic and queerphobic. Marge has always been written as a dormat who just takes Homer's abuse but ok she got mad at Homer for stuffing his face and not engaging with her. What. A. Harpy.
    a soul for disguise

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by $impson View Post
    You seem to think this is an either/or situation, where either Marge can be a bitch or Homer is a jerkass. It's both.

For clarity, marge isn't a bitch. She was being a bitch, like Homer was being a jerkass.

Jerkass Homer is terrible, but has a few positive qualities. Bitch Marge just drags things down without affecting the story in a positive way.

If you have a problem with that, take it up with the writers who limit Marge's issues to "marriage crisis" and "Homer nagging," not fans who voice issues with this characterization.
    it is an either/or situation, the thread is literally about who is worse. and so far the responses are incredibly one sided

Banned

The thread is about which is worse, not which is bad and which other is completely fine.

Bitch Marge tanks the story- hence the one-sidedness.

Blog Entries

Maybe You Should Take A Hint From The Title Change

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    simpsons section users have just proven time again they fundamentally don't understand why the simpsons even used to be quality. it's sad
    this is aimed at ppl like you @$impson. go away

Thread Information