Thread: Should The Simpsons do a genderswap episode?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

“Pretension” by Calvin Klein ataeaf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Should The Simpsons do a genderswap episode?

I’m surprised the Simpsons has never done a genderswap episode before. There’ve been gender-flipped lookalikes like Groundskeeper Wilma and that Homer-ish woman in Brother from the Same Planet, and there was a moment where four of the five main family members were genderswapped.

But we never got a full genderswap episode. like everyone is their opposite gender like in the Fionna and Cake episodes of Adventure Time or One of the Boys from The Loud House. Alternatively, it could be just one or a few characters being genderswapped like Timmy Turner from The Fairly OddParents was. This would probably suit Bart and/or Homer the most.
    ah (as in apple)-tuh-eef

Non-Simpsons scare me. Road Rage's Avatar

Homer makes for one fine woman. We need an entire episode of him like that.

In Orange is the New Yellow, through a fantasy of Homer, the sex change between Homer and Marge was explored. The truth, I think a strange plot to explore in this series (perhaps in a trilogy?), And it seems difficult to refer to the subject of transsexualism without offending someone these days.
    SEASON 30 RANKINGS: Bart's Not Dead: 3/5 / Heartbreak Hotel: 3/5 / My Way or the Highway to Heaven: 3/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXIX: 2/5 / Baby You Can't Drive My Car: 4/5 / From Russia Without Love: 4/5 / Werking Mom: 4/5 / Krusty the Clown: 4/5 / Daddicus Finch: 5/5 / Tis the Thirtieth Season: 2/5 / Mad About the Toy: 3/5 / The Girl on the Bus: 3/5 / I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can: 4/5

Yup, still the worst. Venomrabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd say probably not. Design wise, it could be pretty neat, with some effort. But writing wise, it's probably only going to be bottom of the barrel "haha women are all nags and all men are slobs" jokes.

If anything, for a weird parallel sort of episode I think it'd be better if they went with Shelby and his family over in Shelbyville. Maybe even give him and his lemon-munching father a surname, I suggest Thompson.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

Speaking about One of the Boys from The Loud House, that's not a good example since this episode is nothing but stupid stereotypes (all the boys are agressive, filthy, and basically the same character) and waste of a good idea. That's why doing a genderswap episode is a risk, there is the problem of falling into stereotypes, instead of exploring the concept in a clever way. I don't say it will automatically be the case if they do a genderswap episode, but the risk of sloppy writing remains.

It's still worth a shot. Just get good writers.

Non-Simpsons scare me. Road Rage's Avatar

Yeah, good points made here. It's probably possible to make a decent episode from this idea, but it would have to not be based on stereotypes and it would need to stay within Simpson realms, so nothing too graphic, controversial, distasteful or outright objectively unsuitable for daytime TV.

8. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Blog Entries

plz dont

oh dear, I say! The Spruce Moose's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Szyslak100 View Post
    And it seems difficult to refer to the subject of transsexualism without offending someone these days.
    YIKES
    Quote Originally Posted by The Egg Council Creepy View Post
    Here's FIVE non-rock songs I like:
    Take On Me
    Hello
    Mad World
    Unreal Superhero 3
    Lisa Frank 420/Modern Computing
    So i'm not a rockist

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

THoH episode.
    Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

I tried watching a new episode the Simpsons, but I realized the show hit a new low, like a brand new, underground parking structure of sadness.

As Jake said, it would most likely be a THoH segment, although part of me is doubtful of how the writing staff would handle it, considering the Jean era's bizarrely insensitive track record with the Smithers/Pommelhorst transgender jokes (despite the surprisingly nuanced handling of John and homosexuality as a whole in Homer's Phobia). In light of this, I somehow suspect that the gags would mostly revolve around basic gender stereotypes, which would not exactly be the most fulfilling use of seven minutes (as the HD era in general is no stranger to hauling these stereotypes out even when it proves detrimental to both the characterization and storytelling of an episode, particularly the recent marital crisis installments).

Blog Entries

No.
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Thread Information