View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

9 30.00%
  • 4/5

2 6.67%
  • 3/5

13 43.33%
  • 2/5

2 6.67%
  • 1/5

4 13.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rate & Review: "I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can" (YABF06)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

A well-trodden plot structure is a point against an episode, whether it's a marriage crisis or "Homer gets a new Job", "Bart gets a girlfriend, "Lisa feels sad and alienated," etc. In order for the episode to get that point back, the well-trodden structure has to be utilized very well.

"Marriage crisis" is sometimes inaccurately used to describe any kind of conflict between Homer and Marge, no matter how minor or incidental to the plot. However, given that in this episode it drives the entire plot, I think it's fair to call this a "marriage crisis". Since it is a marriage crisis, then it needs to be evaluated for the major flaw of marriage crises (aside from the plot itself being overused), viz. that the crisis comes out of nowhere and seems unmotivated or poorly justified.

I would say that this episode did not exhibit that flaw. While Marge's reaction was possibly a bit too strong, we were given a good lead-up to it (Homer making a promise to Marge, his bout with temptation, etc.)--compare the extremely flimsy and unwarranted crisis in Heartbreak Hotel. That's an example of a marriage crisis done wrong; this episode does it much better.

So while I do think that an episode does need to try a bit harder if it's going to use a well-worn plotline, I don't think that a well-worn plotline at this point in the show automatically makes the episode bad.

Anyway it's been a few days since I've seen the episode so can't comment much on specifics, but I enjoyed it overall.
    Last edited by Nitsy; 02-13-2019 at 11:01 PM.
    "Your tears say more than real evidence ever could."

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    I'll also echo @Venomrabbit for giving a shout-out to the extra effort that Matthew Nastuk and Courtney Platt clearly put into choreographing and mo-capping the dance sequences. They could have simply taken the cheap way out here but they didn't and I'll applaud their initiative to make those come off more natural within the animated medium.
    I didn't know that the dancing parts were extensively choreographed as well as motion captured until it was mentioned in this thread. It's cool that they went to these lengths to pull it off and it would be neat to see some behind the scenes footage. Venomrabbit mentioned a video clip and I'm guessing it's shown there but I can't seem find it; anyone care to post a link here in the thread?

Actually an Esquilax Venomrabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: CousinMerl

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

Thanks. I have to wonder how much of the season's budget went into that (also, while they were at it, they should probably have let the choreographer voice Julia; that would've made sense).

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    Thanks. I have to wonder how much of the season's budget went into that (also, while they were at it, they should probably have let the choreographer voice Julia; that would've made sense).
    Well, she is a credited actress (she had a speaking part in a non-dancing role on a couple of episodes of Glee)...

However, when I noticed in the latest Emmy rules that the list of things for which an animated show can be submitted for an Emmy does not include choreography, I E-mailed the Television Academy, and got a response; the Choreography branch does currently have a "live-action only" rule, but they "might" reconsider. This is especially important as choreography in scripted series will be its own category (as opposed to competing against routines on So You Think You Can Dance? and Dancing With the Stars) starting this year.

SEASON 30 RANKINGS: Bart's Not Dead: 3/5 / Heartbreak Hotel: 2/5 / My Way or the Highway to Heaven: 3/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXIX: 2/5 / Baby You Can't Drive My Car: 4/5 / From Russia Without Love: 4/5 / Werking Mom: 4/5 / Krusty the Clown: 4/5 / Daddicus Finch: 5/5 / Tis the Thirtieth Season: 2/5 / Mad About the Toy: 3/5 / The Girl on the Bus: 3/5 / I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can: 4/5 / The Clown Stays in the Picture: 2/5 / 101 Mitigations: 4/5 / I Want You (She's So Heavy): 1/5 / E My Sports 4/5 / Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy: 5/5 / Girl's in the Band: 4/5 / I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh: 2/5 / D'oh Canada: 2/5

I didn't mind the first part - I laughed at the commercial break joke - but the plot didn't ring true to me at all: would Marge really be that angry with Homer over watching a show first? Why did they have a Netflix executive guest-star as himself when he was totally superfluous to the plot? (Might things not have flowed better if Homer found out Marge likes dancing shows by himself?) And I found the whole dancing thing totally unengaging, and the subplot was pointless. C-
    Season 30 Ratings
    Bart's Not Dead C- Heartbreak Hotel ​D My Way or the Highway to Heaven ​D- Treehouse of Horror XXIX ​C- Baby You Can't Drive My Car ​B+ From Russia Without Love ​B- Werking Mom ​C Krusty the Clown ​B Daddicus Finch B+ 'Tis the 30th Season ​D+ Mad About the Toy ​C+ The Girl on the Bus ​C I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can ​C- The Clown Stays in the Picture ​C- 101 Mitigations C+ I Want You (She's So Heavy) ​C E My Sports ​B-

Thread Information