Uh, Hugh Jass? Welcome to Moe's's Avatar

Question How important do you feel Moe being down is to his character? (interesting post)

Ok, bare in mind this is coming from someone who is a huge fan of Moe so I thought it would be good to get your perspectives on this as it is something I would love to hear what you guys think in regards to how important to his character do you feel Moe being down often is?

Maybe this might sound contradicting cause his character is seen this way a lot but for me, it's really not important at all and to be honest, I don't think it's needed, I get that it's his character, he's running a bar that can be stressful etc.. but it's not something that makes his character if you get what I mean, I personally would love to see a more happier vibe around Moe as being a big fan of Moe and him being one of my favourite characters, this isn't something that is why which is why I say it might sound contradicting but it's probably the least thing I like about him.

I really do feel it would be awesome for them to switch this round a little, I know people may say "It's a little late in the show" but is it and was he always like this? We can always say things are too late to be switched up but they've just renewed for a couple more seasons so I don't see why not.

The show is also doing much better than it has in a long time which is another reason why it would be a good time to do so.

I think it would be awesome for Moe to get a girlfriend even if it's just for a small period it would be good to see Moe much happier, running the bar, less of this suicide type stuff (which I don't like) and just something I feel would really put the icing on the cake on his character.

Bare in mind this is coming from someone who Moe is one of his favourite characters but the fact that he's down a lot doesn't appeal to me at all, being angry is fine (IE the prank calls) but the being down stuff, not so much.

So what are your thoughts, do you feel this is an important part of Moe's character or is it something you would rather them change?

I'd be interested to hear what you guys think in regards to this

'"Uh, Hugh Jass! D'oh, somebody check the men's room for a Hugh Jass"

The lovable chimney sweep Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Angry Moe is far better than sad, suicidal Moe. That part of his character really emerged during the Jean era, and I never liked it, especially when they did suicide jokes. As a surly bartender, he’s a far more enjoyable character. I wouldn’t say that he needs be happy, necessarily — I don’t think getting a long-term girlfriend would be good for his character, for example — but they could stand to tone down the sadness. I haven’t seen it since it aired, but I think King Leer was quite a good Moe episode in terms of his character.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

Yeah, I think with the girlfriend thing it would just be a nice turnaround for a few episodes or so as opposed to everything else we've seen with Moe that we're not really keen on (from our opinions), it's like I love Moe but I don't really like that completely down stuff too much because there's more to him than that, as I say I don't feel he needs to be completely cheery and happy as that would be too much but maybe a little lighter on things and the angry Moe is fine cause it's not too much and he has every reason to be angry at times, specially with running the bar and of course a little lesser now but the prank calls etc... think of the episode where he goes after Jimbo, that's fine.

I think he's better than the whole being down suicide stuff and a little happier although angry at times, is much better I feel and would really put the icing on the cake for Moe cause he is a really great character.

Junior Camper

Here's the thing, if you make jokes about Moe being suicidal, by extension Homer looks like an absolute monster for not caring about him. It's bad enough Homer loves his wife more than his own children, but to promise Moe to take him fishing on his birthday and then duck out of the whole thing isn't funny, it's actually sad, and worse because no one learns anything from it.
    Moe is at his best when he's a grouchy, dangerous, but good-hearted ogre who will do the right thing - when he's got no other options.
    His advice to Homer in Some Enchanted Evening is basically the perfect way to sum up everything great about his character. The guy's crude, but he's okay.

And the thing is, if you keep up the depressed/suicidal angle, you cheapen it because any resolution the character gets will just be undone the next time they make a joke about him hanging himself. But Moe as a sour old bartender? You can keep the status quo and easily tell lots of fun stories involving him.

Yeah, I think the angry/stressed thing is fine cause he's running a bar constantly and having to put up with things such as Bart on top of this makes sense but it would be good to see them lighten up on this a little.

By that I don't mean change his character and make him all happy but just less of that down stuff and stick with the angry/stressed for that side of his character.

It's probably been one of the best and worst things to happen to Moe's character. It's allowed him some sympathetic moments and made for some good episodes, but it's also been cheapened by treating it as a running gag and at times been too dark. It wasn't a bad decision, just one that hasn't always been handled particularly well.
    A little less Generic than before.

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

Moe being really sad and depressed isn't a bad part of his character in itself as it feels like it would be a natural part of his characterization with his loneliness and bad luck with a love life but yeah, it's kinda like @Beggs said; I definitely think they take it too far with the explicit suicide jokes such as him wanting to hang and/or shoot himself and it just doesn't work due to being so dark and comes off as cheap attempts at edgy jokes at the expense of the character.

Angry Moe is definitely better since they've handled that part of him really well and it has contributed a lot to the series with a lot of jokes and gags that doesn't go too far like with those that they utilize with his depressed side which sometimes takes the center stage too much when it doesn't feel like it should (for one thing, he doesn't even feel that lonely enough to blatantly want to off himself as he is friends with Homer as well as Lenny, Carl and even Barney that come off as a close knit gang of sorts).

Yeah, that is the thing, he does have Homer, Barney, Lenny, Carl and even Sam and Larry around him, he's always got someone there and they do seem to have a good friendship between each other too. I mean, I know I refer to it often but look at the Simpsons Roasting episode where Homer is down and Moe offers him the candy cane, I know it was the first season and his character has developed since then but the foundations are there and it was around this vibe where Moe was the best which was throughout the seasons for quite a while actually.

I mean, does he always have to be down and sad to work? I don't think he does, sure as mentioned in the OP it's part of his character due to his job etc... but I really don't feel it has to be so dominant as there's so many things to Moe that are really great in regards to his character that it's the least needed thing for him, in my opinion of course

thinks possums are neat BloodySimpsonChibi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Happy Moe is Best Moe if Moe Baby Blues is any indication.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    I'd imagine patting Lisa on the head would sting, damn kids with their spiky heads.

Thread Information