The Mike Scully Mini-Forum

The Scully Mini-Forum

Blog Entries

agreeable

3. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Man

Blog Entries

5. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Man

bump

I'm just curious as to how he got the showrunner job. Did Bill and Josh handpick him or was he the only person available who could do it?

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nihilistic View Post
    I'm just curious as to how he got the showrunner job. Did Bill and Josh handpick him or was he the only person available who could do it?
    He was the only one who would let them leave early.

Blog Entries

Bill and Josh did choose him, and at the time it was easy to see why. While his writing credits weren't sterling he did possess a few extremely strong ones that were specifically influenced by events in his life, it seemed like he knew how to guide the show upon his own principles and sensibility. The results certainly don't mirror the expectation but in retrospect there are omens (Lisa On Ice).

The Scully era is pure cancer.

And no, despite how some seem to view it, the sheer fact that the Jean era is an even more malignant type of cancer doesn't make the Scully era any less cancerous. It's like how a pile of shit doesn't stop being a pile of shit just because someone makes an even bigger pile of shit.

Blog Entries

With incisive analysis like that who could possibly argue

I think its both a dated assessment and a lazy one to merely chalk up the Scully era in it's entirety as a drastic error. The biggest flaw I think is that people continue to attempt to parallel it with the classic era, which does it no service because it functions on a pretty different set of rules. This isn't to say of course that the era is immune to criticisms of it's efforts towards storytelling, satire, characterization, etc. Inversely, I dont think those things are entirely missed through the four seasons Scully was given either. I would even go so far as to say many of the Scully era's greatest crimes that banged against the show's sturdy architecture were not new. I love the O&W era but the foundation had begun to wobble, and it was only by them recognizing that and using it to their advantage that it wasn't more glaring. If you were to ask me if the Scully era is good I'd probably have to split it directly down the middle, though not into s9/10 vs. s11/12 like you might would think, just about half of the episodes achieve what they seek or something different and half do not. Generally I think the root of Scully era bashing finds its way back to fans of the series who take its sacred canon a little too seriously, which I think is a bad place from which to begin criticizing the era and the later episodes as a whole, rather than on their own merits. Essentially, for its numerous warts, I do think the Scully era as a comedic presence has aged reasonably well, and while it's shaky on the grounds of the other factors it has its absolute achievements, and when all else fails, it can become a perversely fascinating experiment, a deconstructionist playground for seeing just how far one can stretch the logic of the Simpsons outside of the boundaries we knew to be reasonable for so long.

Blog Entries

son, go get me a trash bag

Quote Originally Posted by foose View Post
    Generally I think the root of Scully era bashing finds its way back to fans of the series who take its sacred canon a little too seriously, which I think is a bad place from which to begin criticizing the era and the later episodes as a whole, rather than on their own merits.
    Even judged solely by its own merits, Scully-era Simpsons is a bad show. The shows plots consistently lacks structure, the pacing is off, most of the episodes have no real underlying "theme" or "message", and above all, the shows main character, Homer, is extremely annoying and unlikable. There are plenty of shows with a jerk as the main character but the trick is to make that jerk likable to the audience even if he is terrible to the other characters. Scully Homer fails this because of his constant non-stop yelling, whining and unmotivated cruelty. Spending 22 minutes with that guy is a sure fire way to end up feeling exhausted and irritated.
    Last edited by Kangdos; 04-08-2019 at 08:15 AM.

Wrote the book on flimflammin Grifty McGrift's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Without comparing to to HD or "classic" seasons, they're still great

bump

I've been re-watching bits and pieces of the Scully era lately, and one of the most glaring things standing out to me is that it practically became any other show, most certainly not the one that had existed for 8 years beforehand. The episode where this really hit me was Viva Ned Flanders, with two specific scenes: Homer and Ned on the roof (Homer's goofy 'cooking with the chimney' and sliding off the roof) and the Lance Murdock bit (Homer sitting up to yell at Ned over his beer, causing Lance to be injured). Switch out Homer with Peter Griffin and it still works exactly the same. It works with other episodes too - Sunday Cruddy Sunday and Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder were two other episodes I watched that day where the same thought crossed my mind.

What really blew my mind was reading the old alt.tv.simpsons reviews for those above mentioned episodes (in the capsules at Simpsons Archive). The amount of people giving these episodes A and B grades is cringeworthy.
    Last edited by Zeus; Today at 12:00 PM. Reason: to fuck with you

bump

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nihilistic View Post
    I've been curious about this too. The only other people who had been on the show longer were George Meyer and John Swartzwelder. Swartzwelder was notoriously reclusive, so it's obvious why he wouldn't do it. As for George Meyer, I'm not entirely sure.

Thread Information