Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When was the exact moment the Simpsons lost its way?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

SuperFriend Rembrandt Q. Einstein's Avatar

I'm very kind on post-classic episodes compared to most but declines roughly coincide with visual definition upgrades.

IMO:

1-8: Classic Era
    9-13: Post-Classic Era
    14-21: Modern Era
    22-: Post-Modern Era

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    I haven't seen many of those fans at all to be honest; most fans seem to agree that the show was great up until season 8 or at least 10 (the latter I still have a hard time understanding as the show was going through a clear shift by then as said).

Those that think that S11 and up are the true Simpsons are probably from newer generations who cannot get into the classics, I guess much like those who crap on the original Star Trek series and say that Star Trek: The Next Generation is the start of the true Trek series'.
    On the consensus of the show being a certain way, if you look at Facebook opinions on the show on the official Simpson’s page, the majority of the people think the show was the same as it was back in the first eight seasons. To them, the show has always been great and if you like the first 10 seasons more, you’re just hopelessly nostalgic.

3. Thumbs Up To This Post by: $impson

I suppose one's opinion of the show depends on when they came into it. I'm curious what those who joined around S25 think of the classic episodes.

They may consider it "early installment weirdness."

I'm still torn on whether or not I should count Season 9 in my personal 'golden age'.

What's everyone else's take?

Blog Entries

I love season 9, as most here know. It’s absolutely part of the golden age.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

I still see Season 9 as the bridge between the classic and the post-classic period and while I don't feel it perfectly belongs among the first 8 as a true classic it does have quite a bit of good to great material, much of which doesn't feel that much different or worse from what came before, I'd give it the distinction as a honorary classic season that, while maybe not as good as the previous ones, can fit among them on the latter end of the season quality rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by bboynexus View Post
    Trash of the Titans.
    Yeah, that is probably the first episode that feels 100% like a modern episode.

Blog Entries

Nah, can’t agree with that. Homer in Titans is way different from Homer in the modern era. It’s also a really enjoyable episode, which is more than I can say for most episodes now.

I mentioned it in another thread not long back, but over the years I've come to regard Seasons 1-10 as the Classic Era, with Seasons 2-8 specifically being the Golden Age. I know it's kind of splitting hairs with the terminology and rounding up, but I feel that Seasons 9 and 10 still have a lot of the classic vibe to them, while being past the peak of the show (which again I'd describe as the Golden Age, Seasons 2-8). By Season 11, the shift in tone is in full swing, and while I don't hate the Scully years as many do (or at least used to), I would describe Season 11 as the first post-classic season, and to that end, the definitive start of the Post-Classic Era in my view. Going by the more common usage of the term Classic Era, though, I'd stick with Seasons 2-8 as the span and the cut-off.
    A little less Generic than before.

11. Thumbs Up To This Post by: BartArt

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by Nitsy View Post
    Anyway, I don't think there's one exact moment. I think the "seeds of change" were sown as early as Season 8, but then Season 9 cemented the change for good (mainly by introducing "jerkass Homer"). Give an example. I do not think this is even a thing. In the one episode of The Simpsons 30 I watched, there was no "Jerkass Homer".
    Never.
    Full stop.
    Last edited by TheDuffBlimp; 04-01-2019 at 03:42 PM.

Junior Camper

The Simpsons Golden-Era officially ended on November 8th 1998 with the airing of "When You Dish Upon a Star", when the show became the very thing it spent the last nine years satiring.

I subsequently lost all remaining respect for the show on February 13th 2000 with the airing of "Alone Again, Natura-Diddily", when Homer's idiocy and jackassness reached levels so high they resulted in the death of an innocent woman and none of the other characters even care

O.K., so I just made an account for this exact thread and the moment the Simpson Family and Springfield died was on May 20th, 2012.

Lisa Goes Gaga is not an episode. It doesn't have jokes, nor what an alien thinks is a joke. It worships Lady Gaga as if she'll remember the Simpsons forever and then solidifies how lobotomized Bart and Lisa are now with that self-esteem malarkey.

Sure, the Simpsons have tiptoed around the grave, subjectively, in its long and storied history--every show has at some point. I accepted jockey elves. I accepted Maude getting punted by a t-shirt cannon. I'd even accepted Armin.

But Lisa Goes Gaga said, "Oh no, we want to break your tolerance." and thus decided to have all of Springfield figuratively bow down to her and pummel Lisa out of her depressive funk of the week because "we're dead and survive on the need to be hip."

Lisa Goes Gaga is The Simpsons objectively throwing itself onto the grave for a popstar who was only meat-dress weird in her breakout debut and now is an Oscar winning actress because she finally grew out of that initial image.
    Last edited by ThunderGirlFlying; 03-26-2019 at 01:39 AM.

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Commodus

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by HitoftheMillennium View Post
    Season eight really isn't that great toward the end. Overall, it's kind of a strange and uneven season. It has some great episodes (You Only Move Twice, The Springfield Files, Homer vs. the 18th Amendment) and some are very high on Homer's enemy (I like it myself).
    I disagree. Season 8 is one of my all time favorites, perhaps in my top 6. It was a very strong season that had consistently good one-off characters and made effective use of that season's guest stars.

Junior Camper

I feel season 9 gets a bad rap too. Cracks were starting to appear but the show still held together with the only episodes with significant problems being 'The Principal and the Pauper', 'Realty Bites' and 'The Trouble with Trillions', and even them I wouldn't describe as outright bad episodes.

Watching the show through, the far more noticable dip (or should I say plummet) in quality comes when you hit the season 10 production episodes. The animation becomes still and lifeless, much less care and reworking is put into the scripts, the full intro sequence is used in every episode to make for as little work as possible, and you get episodes like 'When You Dish Upon a Star', 'Homer Simpson in: Kidney Trouble', 'Marge Simpson in: Screaming Yellow Honkers', and 'Monty Can't Buy Me Love', all episodes worse than anything which had been produced during the previous 9 seasons.

Kidney Trouble is the only ep where Homer is more of a jerkass than CoDependent's Day or Alone Again. (though it's possible there are jerkass contenders I missed.)
    Pokemon Moon Friend Code 5473-2104-2310
    Looking for shiny, legendary, and mythical. Got shiny Sandshrew (Alola)
    Have various starters, zorua, can breed many pokemon.
    Current egg move hatching: Tyrunt with fire fang

Kwik-E-Mart Gougers' enforcer Captain Jones's Avatar

I just registered in the forum and I’m glad I stumbled on this thread, coz I just introduced myself on the other thread and some thing I would say, but I erased before posting was “I’m one of those jerks who like only the 90’s seasons.”

To me, the best The Simpsons last to the season 7.
    Seasons 8 and 9 still have some very good episodes.
    From season 10 onwards, to me it’s a brand new all-different series and I don’t like it.

Obviously there was a decline in the Scully era, but the show was still in a silver age to me until 21 or so, then bronze until 25-ish. The last couple seasons have been the first that have been legitimately bad to me

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by Patches O'houlihan View Post
    The show became a chore after S15.
    Eh, not really. The episodes are still only bite sized bits onof entertainment that don't really take much effort to sit through. It still provides similar, if not exactly the same, content in every way except comedy. Which really is not a big loss, in my opinion.

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    If I had to pick one episode its The Principal and the Pauper.
    In my opinion, this episode has gotten so trashed it is quite honestly at the point of being a legendary episode.

That some good work there, Lou!

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Q. Einstein View Post
    I'm very kind on post-classic episodes compared to most but declines roughly coincide with visual definition upgrades.

IMO:

1-8: Classic Era
    9-13: Post-Classic Era
    14-21: Modern Era
    22-: Post-Modern Era

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by ComicBookGal View Post
    actually to be honest I really feel the show jumped the shark when they did Homer's enemy,
    I detest the phrase "jumped the shark". Even that episode of "Happy Days" was not that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuffBlimp View Post
    I detest the phrase "jumped the shark". Even that episode of "Happy Days" was not that bad.
    what phrase would you prefer?
    Simpsons Comics 1993-2018

FOX Latin America is broadcasting one season per day. This allowed me to realize the importance of a showrunner. The show evolved constantly in its early years. I realized that seasons 9 and 10 are not bad. They play with some crazy concepts, but the characters act with coherence, many episodes are hilarious and interesting concepts are explored. Season 11 completely lost its course. The vast majority of the scenes are absurd, the endings are hasty, and the show abandoned its essence and became a caricature. There were indications of these things even in the era of Oakley and Weinstein, but in small doses, which allowed the proper functioning and development of the episodes. If I have to choose the exact moment when they lost their way, it was when Scully started producing the BABF cycle.

However, I have to say that the CABF cycle takes on a pleasant style on some occasions. I have to watch the seasons of Al Jean to see if they managed to get back on track.
    SEASON 30 RANKINGS: Bart's Not Dead: 3/5 / Heartbreak Hotel: 2/5 / My Way or the Highway to Heaven: 3/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXIX: 2/5 / Baby You Can't Drive My Car: 4/5 / From Russia Without Love: 4/5 / Werking Mom: 4/5 / Krusty the Clown: 4/5 / Daddicus Finch: 5/5 / Tis the Thirtieth Season: 2/5 / Mad About the Toy: 3/5 / The Girl on the Bus: 3/5 / I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can: 4/5 / The Clown Stays in the Picture: 2/5 / 101 Mitigations: 4/5 / I Want You (She's So Heavy): 1/5 / E My Sports 4/5 / Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy: 5/5 / Girl's in the Band: 4/5 / I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh: 2/5 / D'oh Canada: 2/5

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by ComicBookGal View Post
    what phrase would you prefer?
    "Lost its way" seems like a good substitute. It conveys the same opinion and conviction.

Season 11 was the first really weak season with just a handful of good episodes.
    Seasons 9 and 10 are definetely weaker than anything that preceded them but it already had the spark and good jokes even though it had been starting to change from realistic scenerios to ever increasing unrealistic plots.
    But 9 and 10 still feels like classic Simpsons to me (not the best classic Simpsons that for me are season 2 to 8) but they still have lots of classic dialogues that I can quote with my friends.

Season 11 is the first one that feels off and only a handful of episodes are good.
    This would continue until today although I can still watch and get moderate fun until season 15 or 16.
    After that I didn't enjoy the show anymore and I have only watched and liked a handful of selected episodes that people have recommended me as highlights of the newer seasons.

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by Ramier Wolfcastle View Post
    Homer Simpson in: "Kidney Trouble"

Homer was such a jerkass to his father in that episode. Although I felt the show had a "renaissance" of sorts from seasons 13-16 before going bland in season 17.
    Again, let's hear more specifics. There is not really much here that I could touch on besides opinion.

For me, "Homer Simpson, This Is Your Wife" had to be the episode were I saw a decline in quality, I was a kid at the time when I first saw this episode air and I hated it for how unfunny it was, especially the Rikcy Gervais character.

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by GlitterCat View Post
    Alone again, just seemed like a mean way to kill a character.
    Actually it has become a very significant plot point.

Thread Information