Uh, Hugh Jass? Welcome to Moe's's Avatar

Question Do you feel Krusty Burger has been utilised enough or is their room for this now (Kindly read)

One of the things we hear quite often is how since the departure of Mrs Krabappel the class scene's have been missing without any real significant scene's for the kids in the show, of course with the adults we've got Moe's Tavern and various places yet one of the things I felt could have been utilised more of the Krusty Burger as this is a place where it could really open up some great scenes.

I know The Simpsons are completely their own show (and that's great!) however when you think of shows such as Doug and Rocko's Modern Life, quite often they will use their local fast food place as a place where they can combine the characters and create great scene's, The Honker Burger in Doug and The Chokey Chicken in Rock's Modern Life but it really works, don't ask me why but the fast food type restaurants always seem to be a place where creativity can be done, scene's can be created, conversations between characters can be done as well as interaction with them which otherwise they are quite fragmented, it's a solid meeting social place.

Since Mrs Krabappel's departure we have kinda missed this in The Simpsons quite a bit, I mean there's probably characters we've barely seen lately, even background characters which are always good to see but there's been no place for them since there's been no scene's such as the class scene's etc..

So what are your thoughts, should the Krusty Burger be used a little more? Would you like to see the Krusty Burger make more of a significant appearance and do you feel the Krusty Burger could really help the interaction of the kids and characters which are now missing a little since those scene's are no longer here?

Me personally, I think yes, it's a great opportunity to create this and put the Krusty Burger to use and although the Krusty Burger HAS appeared in a lot of episodes, not really as much as you would think considering the length of the show and how significant a place such as the Krusty Burger would be. I'll paste the list below of the episode's it has appeared in according to Simpsons Wikia however many of these are no doubt very small references as opposed to significant scenes, I personally feel there's a place for this.

"Three Men and a Comic Book"
    "Lisa's First Word"
    "Boy-Scoutz 'n the Hood"
    "Secrets of a Successful Marriage"
    "And Maggie Makes Three"
    "Homie the Clown"
    "A Star is Burns"
    "Who Shot Mr. Burns? (Part Two)"
    "King-Size Homer"
    "Two Bad Neighbors"
    "Bart the Fink"
    "Scenes from the Class Struggle in Springfield"
    "22 Short Films About Springfield"
    "Miracle on Evergreen Terrace"
    "Lard of the Dance"
    "Lisa the Tree Hugger"
    "Brother's Little Helper" (Mentioned)
    "Day of the Jackanapes"
    "Little Girl in the Big Ten"
    "I'm Spelling as Fast as I Can"
    "The Mook, the Chef, the Wife and Her Homer"
    "He Loves to Fly and He D'ohs"
    "Husbands and Knives"
    "Coming to Homerica"
    "Treehouse of Horror XX"
    "The Ten-Per-Cent Solution"
    "Steal This Episode"
    "Brick Like Me" (Lego® version)
    "Pay Pal"
    "The Simpsons Guy"
    "Peeping Mom" (Bag)
    "The Kids Are All Fight" (Flashback)
    "No Good Read Goes Unpunished"
    "The Cad and the Hat"

So what are your thoughts, I look forward to hearing from you guys

'"Uh, Hugh Jass! D'oh, somebody check the men's room for a Hugh Jass"

Shouldn't be necessary to get lesser used characters involved, the best way they could get minor characters more screen time is by not using a one off character/setting every single episode

Yeah, not just about the characters though, it's the interaction between them too since the whole Mrs Krabappel departure, it's something we hear a lot in regards to those scene's missing and a lot of these kind of reasons why people feel this, hence why I feel the Krusty Burger would be a great place to compensate that as well as the opportunity to create that more for those who feel it's missing.

But yeah, I hear you about the one off character/setting thing, I think that's absolutely spot on and very valid!!

The Krusty Burger does seem like a place where more could be done anyway but since the whole Mrs Krabappel thing it just feels like a great opportunity personally

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

How about an episode where Krusty Burger becomes automated, thus forcing almost all the staff (and Springfield Teens) out of work? The conflict is Homer and Marge were planning on Bart work in a fast food job when he turns 16, but are worried there won't be a teen job market in 6 Simpson Years.

So many things could be done but I think it's really a place where the characters can all interact together, I mean it's very fragmented now since they don't really have that place to do so and the Krusty Burger would be idea. We might see Milhouse with Martin or Nelson with Ralph on odd occasions but it's not the same of when they would all be together and interact like they would in class, the Krusty Burger could really fill in that gap as well as the fact it's a great place in general to feature.

I mean, as mentioned above with Doug they had the Honker Burger and Rocko's Modern Life they had the Chokey Chicken, Beavis and Butthead too they had Burger World and it's not coincidence that these places always created the best scene's and the fans were very fond of these places too in the show, I do feel the Krusty Burger is under utilised.

don't want to alarm you CousinMerl's Avatar

Krusty Burger has always been one of those relatively minor locations on the show yet has been a fairly recurring place and I think that the charm lies in it being just that; it doesn't really need to be a major site of happenings, just this kinda fun place that's seen, the characters go to eat at every now and then or being the setting for a joke or two so it never really needed to be anything bigger than that.

However I do think it could definitely use to be shown more as it's more seldomly seen nowadays and using it as sort of a hub where we see the characters interact and talk could be a good idea (it's not the first place a burger bar has had that role in a show; heck, any form of restaurant or café or similar is often used as a place for dialogue scenes in various shows and movies, yet The Simpsons hasn't really caught on there).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 01-11-2019 at 01:07 AM.

Exactly that, absolutely spot on! You really nailed it in that last paragraph there and is exactly my sentiments, it does seem the one thing The Simpsons never really caught on to but as of now and how the show is now as mentioned above, it would be perfect and very fitting I feel right now to put it to use.

It would also feel fresh as well as bring back that interaction that were missing now as also mentioned above

Has all the answers Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have liked the family’s interactions at a lot of restaurants, so it could be interesting to see them in that environment more, even if it’s not always talk about the restaurant itself. (That would get boring, actually.) I guess we could also have Krusty make some more appearances there. I can see some possibilites that could be explored.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

Blog Entries

people don't really "hang out" in fast food restaurants in real life. especially one like Krusty Burger where it's more than implied that they are kind of crap(like any product with Krusty's name on it)
    Fuck Donald Trump. #NotMyPresident

Blog Entries

like how many kids do you know that hang out at the damn burger king

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    I have liked the family’s interactions at a lot of restaurants, so it could be interesting to see them in that environment more, even if it’s not always talk about the restaurant itself. (That would get boring, actually.) I guess we could also have Krusty make some more appearances there. I can see some possibilites that could be explored.
    Yeah definitely, and completely too the restaurant doesn't need to be in the topic of conversation either I agree completely, it's just a place where they meet and interact, the same way they do at Moe's but they don't talk about the Tavern etc.. it's just a place where they all happen to be around each other. Krusty too could also be great to making some appearances, I mean, the fact that it is Krusty Burger could do with some more interaction from Krusty as it goes cause I mean, when does he ever acknowledge it and you would think he would really.

It really is a great place to fill in all the gaps that are missing at the moment and create that fresh scenery too while also being familiar, along with of course the interaction that seems to have been missed as mentioned previously

Quote Originally Posted by i need a xmas name View Post
    like how many kids do you know that hang out at the damn burger king
    I think the OP has explained it.

don't want to alarm you CousinMerl's Avatar

I think that with The Simpsons being an animated series they can get away with characters "hanging out" at a fast food joint easier than on an live-action series, which would make it alright even though it wouldn't be too realistic (and the Springfielders seem to be pretty content with the products that Krusty Burger offers and does come to eat there despite the issues with the food and the sometimes lacking hygiene so I don't see why they wouldn't come there at all).

That said, I don't see it as a must to have it be this sort of meeting hub where we see characters interact and talk but I would just as well just see it be shown more as a setting as there have been some funny/amusing scenes there. They could always use some other social setting like the park or something but Krusty Burger could be a good alternative once in a while.

It's a location that they could perhaps utilise more often, but I wouldn't say it's been underused or anything. It's good to have an in-universe brand and another location where characters can run into each other and have conversations.

Speaking of the brand, along with Buzz Cola, it's been one of the enduring elements of the show. While fairly obvious parodies, they've added to the charm of the show, and depth of the universe. They also feel a lot less shallow than "Mapple", which just feels incredibly lazy.
    A little less Generic than before.

Yep, that's pretty much it @CousinMerl, it's just one of those places that is known to the show that could be utilised a little more within it, plus the fact Krusty Burger is a big thing within the show (and even in Florida they have the Krusty Burger there) it would make sense to feature it more within the show as although it's familiar enough of course with the name but even it would create more familiarity with places like in Florida etc... too when people go there.

I mean when you think of Moe's Tavern we all know what it looks like inside, even casuals all know what Moe's Tavern is like inside but do they the Krusty Burger? I'm not so sure which again like you say it's not an absolute must that it becomes some sort of meeting hub, that would probably be too much but as a setting it could be used much more and would be beneficial to do so as that alternative now and again to not only create that familiarity of it a little more but also it does bring that interaction, I also thought of the park idea too when writing my original post, it's a similar thing but of course the Krusty Burger is a significant place in the show so it makes sense

Great post by the way, that's pretty much how I feel about it too, it's a significant place that's well known as a brand yet isn't really in the show as much as it could be and is specially beneficial now too since the scenario mentioned in the OP.

Yeah @Beggs, I do feel it's underused a little though, as mentioned above with the familiarity thing with Moe's Tavern and Krusty Burger, both are pretty much the same when it comes to being cemented in the show but there is a difference in regards to the familiarity on the places which isn't a bad thing as such but it does go to show the difference in regards to how much it's been used if that makes sense

Thread Information