• 2/5 Go bald already!

4 36.36%
  • 1/5 r/heftypeoplehate

4 36.36%

Thread: R&R Family Guy: Hefty Shades of Gray

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

R&R Family Guy: Hefty Shades of Gray

After Peter's hair turns white from a ghost-hunting adventure in his house with the guys, his new look grabs the attention of local news anchor Tom Tucker. Under Tucker's guidance, he learns the ways of reporting fake news, and soon becomes a senior crime analyst on Quahog's Channel 5 News.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

Stuff I liked
    "Only Lucifer would reveal himself to you adulterer!"
    Meg ignoring Peter wanting to be let out of the basement.

Stuff I didn't like
    Quagmire getting ready to tell Joe to shut up.
    Chris ripping Peter's head off, and the later callback.
    Peter's random extensive bleeding.

Misc
    "That's so *Insert character's name here*!" reminded me of "Dadded!", except not as out of place.
    Hartman being revealed to be gay felt extremely random.
    Stewie being possessed by the ghost of the person who was murdered in the Griffin home was a very weak attempt to attach both plots.

Wow, that was boring as fuck! This felt like a standard subpar episode from Seasons 8-13 where it was pretty much on autopilot with very few jokes and an overabundance of pointless gore. Much like in Stand by Meg, the subplot was completely superfluous and felt like it only existed just because they couldn't write enough material for the main plot. But at least it wasn't just three minutes of overused Italian jokes. anything And the ending with them trying to justify this being a two-parter with next week's episode more or less hints to the whole thing being this show's equivalent of Daesong Heavy Industries where despite supposedly being a two-parter both episodes have very little to do with each other. Even though part two isn't until next week, I'm just gonna go ahead and write the whole thing off now much like the season opener and consider whatever episode comes after Trump Guy to be the show's real return from the winter hiatus.

Yeah, I've pretty much given up on trying to find things to say about this one. .5/5.
    Family Guy Season 17 Ratings - Married... with Cancer: .5/5 Dead Dog Walking: .5/5 Pal Stewie: 3/5 Big Trouble in Little Quahog: 3.5/5 Regarding Carter: 1.5/5 Stand by Meg: 2/5 Griffin Winter Games: 2.5/5 Con Heiress: 0/5 Pawtucket Pete: 2.5/5 Hefty Shades of Gray: .5/5 Trump Guy: .5/5 Bri, Robot: .5/5 Trans-Fat: 2/5 Family Guy Lite: 1.5/5 No Giggity, No Doubt: 1.5/5 You Can't Handle the Booth: 1/5 Island Adventure: 4/5 Throw It Away: 2/5 Girl, Internetted: 1.5/5 Adam West High: 1.5/5
    American Dad! Season 15 Ratings - Fantasy Baseball: 1.5/5 I Am the Jeans: The Gina Lavetti Story: 0/5 Stan & Francine & Connie & Ted: 0/5 Rabbit Ears: 1.5/5 Jeff and the Dank Ass Weed Factory: 1/5 Lost Boys: 0/5 Shark?!: TBD The Long March: TBD

Blog Entries

A handful of funny jokes, but not enough material to disguise the fact that this was basically just setup for Trump Guy stretched into a 22-minute borefest. And wow, did that preview for next week not look good. Literally every Trump joke showcased was utterly ancient, and winking to it doesn't suddenly make it funny. 1.5/5

Blog Entries

This could be the poorest excuse for a two-parter since... well, just this season. But this one might be even worse, as the only setup for next week was two seconds at the end. So, why did this episode even exist now?

6. Thumbs Up To This Post by: John95

I was hoping the two-parter thing would just be a joke but no, it's really happening. And after the last two-parter, why are we getting another one?

I know coming up with strong stories is something that this show gave up on doing a long time ago, but it's just astonishing to me how it feels like nothing happens in these episodes anymore. They go from point A to point B with no progression or buildup whatsoever. Peter's trying to catch a ghost, he gets grey hair for no apparent reason, he suddenly becomes influential enough in his new job for Lois to worry about him and for Trump to ask him to be his new press secretary. I'm really sitting here wondering how this happened when there was barely anything to justify it happening. It really feels like every episode is written in a few days and they don't do any editing or revising to the scripts after the first draft is done. They don't try to connect any plot points to each other. As long as there's some hint of a story in there, it's enough to make it on TV.

It's just depressing because it literally feels like they've given up on their own work. And nowadays, every episode is written in the exact same way with the occasional deviation like "Emmy-Winning Episode" or "Three Directors." At least with those episodes, they're trying something different and there's some kind of unique style. They have no idea how to write for their own characters anymore, which is ridiculous because it's not like they have to put in much effort to do that. 1/5

8. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Beggs

This was very uninspired and, even without seeing Trump Guy, comes off as a complete afterthought to that episode. It just felt like they realized they needed an excuse for Peter to be in DC for a full episode, and drummed up an episode in an afternoon. Peter's fake news exploits could have been funny, but were very undercooked, and the Chris subplot went nowhere, with several bad jokes like Carter's random appearance. Although I agree that the generic Trump jokes in the preview for next episode aren't very inspiring, at least maybe a new location will prevent the show from being as fatally boring as it's been this season, right? Blah.

2/5

@3t8yb, They honestly could've accomplished the same thing by starting the next episode with a fake "Previously on..." in order to justify why the Griffins are in DC and would've worked more than just a pointless episode with the last 10 seconds being lazily devoted to trying to justify this being a "Two-parter".

Junior Camper

I liked the woman in a rom-com bit - I think that was taken from Love Actually.

I also got a mild chuckle from Stewie saying that Chris will get a chub from walking around Macies or something.

I hoped the Trump thing was a joke but they're really doing it.

Why can't this show end? It's nearly outstayed its welcome more than the Shitsons.

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

Who on this show has a mannequin fetish? That's the only reason I can think of for the scene with the mannequins.

Sorry but I can't say much about this one. Peter looked good with gray hair but he was better doing "Grind my Gears" which was classic. I too hated Peters' head being ripped off but loved when Meg didn't help him when he was crying for help. ay Meg!!! The subplot sucked. Chris didn't have much problems with girls but why he didn't want to go out with her was stupid. So the mannequin fetish. I wished they wrapped the ghost part instead of leaving Stewie possesed. There could have been more to it. This one gets a 2.

I'd have to agree that it felt like an unnecessarily long setup for "Trump Guy", an act's worth of material somehow stretched out to a full episode. The subplot was another story that felt like it could've been something but was pointless filler, and the main plot wasn't much better. It didn't help that it featured some of my least favourite recurring elements of post-classic Family Guy, such as pointless and repetitive Meg bashing (though it did at least result in one of the better moments), an overly long uninspired gag (Carter's balls), and Angry Quagmire.

Lacklustre as it was on the whole, I did like some of the jokes. Meg ignoring Peter's cries for help was both amusing and cathartic, Peter's Sanguelto commercial and the rom com callback were good, the running gag with "That's so [CHARACTER NAME!]" wasn't run into the ground, and some of the ghost hunting stuff made for some decent banter. For some reason, I found Stewie getting possessed by the spirit of Doris Billingsly hilarious. It was one of those times where the lack of a follow-up or reaction from other characters was funny, for me at least.

A handful of funny moments is usually good enough to ensure that a modern episode of Family Guy isn't an absolute chore to watch, but it's not enough to make it a great watch either. I'll go with 2/5, and hope that the forthcoming Part 2 is a bit better. I'm not getting my hopes up too much, though.
    A little less Generic than before.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

The episode was such a snoozefest all throughout (A or B plot honestly), but at least it wasn't outrageous unless what follows afterwards. Mike Desilets continues to be a hit or miss writer. 5/10
    Simpsons: 4 > 6 = 7 > 5 > 3 > 8 > 2 > 14 > 15 > 13 = 10 > 9 > 16 > 20 > 1 > 24 = 21 > 26 > 22 = 25 > 23 > 19 = 27 > 18 = 28 > 12 > 11 > 17 = 29

Family Guy: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 5 = 6 > 15 > 16 > 10 > 14 > > 7 = 11 = 9 > 8 > 12 = 13

American Dad: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 6 > 5 > 8 > 9 > 7 = 11 > 10 > 13 (so far) > 12

The Cleveland Show: 2 > 1 > 4 > 3

Futurama: 5 > 4 = 1 > 2 = 3 > 7 > 6

Rick and Morty: 2 > 1 > 3

Thread Information