View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

7 20.59%
  • 4/5

6 17.65%
  • 3/5

14 41.18%
  • 2/5

4 11.76%
  • 1/5

3 8.82%

Thread: Rate & Review: "Mad About the Toy" (YABF03)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Rate & Review: "Mad About the Toy" (YABF03)

Season 30, Episode 11
    Original Airdate: January 6, 2019
    Writer: Michael Price
    Director: Rob Oliver
    Showrunner: Al Jean
    Synopsis: When Marge and Homer leave Grampa to babysit the kids, some little green army men trigger a PTSD episode, sending the family on a journey to Grampa's past to when he was a post-war toy model.

Previous R&R
    Next R&R

INDUSTRY REVIEWS
    - The A.V. Club - Dennis Perkins - B+
    - Den of Geek - Tony Sokol - 3 / 5
    - Bubble Blabber - Jesse Bereta - 8.5 / 10
    - Phil Payton {YouTube} - B
    - Max Power {YouTube} - 5 / 10

SIMPSONS REDDIT DISCUSSION THREAD

TV VIEWERSHIP - 0.9 Rating / 4 Share - 2.33 Million Viewers

R&R Poll Average Score: 3.34 / 5 (as of April 27th / 29 votes)
    IMDB User Rating: 6.1 / 10 (as of April 27th / 312 users)
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 04-27-2019 at 05:56 PM.

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Clupid bloropope Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This episode was decent. The story really had to carry it, because the jokes were pretty weak, but carry the episode it did. It really was an interesting look back into Abe’s life, and although they’ve touched on it more in the last few seasons, this still felt nice and fresh, and I found myself immersed in the plot. But there weren’t many jokes in this one, and the ones that were there mostly missed, especially the one with Abe on the news and the “last word” scene. I also didn’t expect it to take a gay angle, exploring Grampa’s sexuality a bit. There was yet another song in it for some reason too, but whatever. Overall, 4/5.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Blog Entries

I liked this episode. It was decent and had the Simpsons finally go to Texas!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    I'd imagine patting Lisa on the head would sting, damn kids with their spiky heads.

Clupid bloropope Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What’s the name of the paradox that Lisa tried to stump Alexa with? I couldn’t decipher what it said.

Blog Entries

It's weird that most of the other guys from the photoshoot were shown in the present day as being like, 70. Has The Simpsons not yet realized that the 1940s were a really long time ago? Pretty weird to admit, but it took me out of the episode a little. That said, it was pretty adequate. Not a lot of cringe-inducing jokes. Although I must have missed why Bill de Blasio needed to be there.

I would have enjoyed this episode more if they got to the root cause behind Abe's entrenched guilt over his homophobic reaction earlier than the last 5-6 minutes of the episode. Because there was a LOT of padding until that point. And that padding wasn't with well-delivered jokes.

So while I'm happy they tackled the issue I'm not going to applaud the execution (especially when that execution largely involved treating the rest of the Simpson family as window dressing and combining two travel episodes in one with the obligatory celebrity stand-ins).
    SEASON 31 RANKINGS
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 2/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2.5/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3.5/5
    THOH XXX = Danger Things - ?/5 / Heaven Swipes Right - ?/5 / When Hairy Met Slimy - ?/5
    Gorillas on the Mast - ?/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - ?/5 / Livin' la Pura Vida - ?/5
    THANKSGIVING OF HORROR = ?????? - ?/5 / ?????? - ?/5 / ?????? - ?/5

9. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    What’s the name of the paradox that Lisa tried to stump Alexa with? I couldn’t decipher what it said.
    I think it was the Epimenides Paradox, but technically that is something else (Epimenides said, "All Cretans are liars," but Epiemodes himself was a Cretan).

As for things I noticed:

Only one episode in the show's history has ever had a "Viewer Discretion Advised" warning - "There's Something About Marrying," presumably because of its same-sex marriage issue. However, in this episode, there are two same-sex kisses on the lips, and nobody at Fox seemed to have a problem with that.

This is the fifth opening with the Baby New Year Maggie / Old Year Grampa opening; the previous four were at the start of 2012, 2014, 2016, and 2018.

When Homer was being dragged away at the therapist's office, it would have been a good time for him to pull out his "Not Insane" certificate from "Stark Raving Dad,"

Homer is usually not shown as being particularly physically fit, but he had no problem pulling the carriage with Marge and the driver sitting in it.

11. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Your Neighborhood Average Joe Purpleberries's Avatar

I didn't really come in expecting much but the episode was surprisingly decent. The gay character angle the episode went with was a bit interesting and new. My only issue with the story was that there was a bit of unneeded padding. There weren't a lot of jokes here but I thought there were a few alright jokes like Alexa and Bart eating the remote batteries.

3.5/5(B)
    Last edited by Purpleberries; 01-07-2019 at 07:50 PM.

13. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

her cocoa is so chuggable PreciousBodilyFluids's Avatar

So Grampa has ptsd....already a hilarious premise

But get this - it's because a gay photographer kissed him!

But Grampa feels bad I guess, because he ruined the guy's career

So after Grampa is on fucking MSNBC and OFF goes to NYC yet again so they can work in a guest spot for the evil mayor, OFF ventures to Texas to apologize to the gay guy. And whoa, he rose from the ashes to become a successful painter, which always happens when someone is a victim of bigotry!

He's also creepily fixated on Grampa

And get this....Grampa ends up kissing HIM! But don't worry, Raging Abe is still #nohomo

0/5 Al Jean suck a dick
    Last edited by PreciousBodilyFluids; 01-07-2019 at 03:02 PM.

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

I didn't despise this episode, but I didn't really find a lot to like, or really, even to comment on. The plot was pretty silly, and most of the jokes were limp. This is meant to be a character-focused episode on Grampa, but the plot isn't exactly interesting, as the conflict is murky until the end. The rest of the runtime is padded with generic travel episode cliches, and guest star spots. Also, the photographer wasn't a very sympathetic character himself, as his infatuation with Grampa was, I guess, meant to be sweet, but in reality it's more like pretty creepy. I guess there are more stereotypical and offensive LGBT episodes of the show, but this was hardly a home run.

2.5/5

3.5/5 rounded down for the poll, though I kinda wished I rounded it up. I wasn't a fan of the angle they went with for the plot, I don't think Grampa really did anything wrong and as 3t8yb pointed out the photographer's obsession with Grampa that he apparently had for 70 years was pretty strange. I liked the first two acts a lot though, the Alexa jokes, Lawerence O'Donnell cameo and him and Grampa trying to get the last word, and the mercury-spiked coffee were pretty good jokes that lasted a good amount of time. The Trump sign seemed pretty lazy compared to the political satire the Simpsons is associated with, regardless of what side you're on

18. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Blog Entries

A fine Grampa-centric episode. I like most of the new background story that they gave to Abe, the humor wasn't around as much but it had some moments. The rehashed New Year opening with Maggie/Abe has been done way to often by now, the football couch gag was pretty fun.

The first act had some of the best jokes with Marge trying to zip Homer's hole in his jacket, their fast paced montage of going trough their romantic evening, and Homer paying with Monopoly money. Even the Alexa joke was kinda funny despite being overused, especially considering that they did an Alexa joke a few episodes earlier. I like that they initially went for Abe's trauma looking like a Vietnam flashback, only for it to be him portraying as a soldier for toys. Not sure what to think of the family letting Homer being taken away for mistakenly looking to be the crazy one.

I liked the flashbacks which had some good moments. Abe's interview on TV lasted a bit to long but it was pretty funny. Then the plot just switches around halfway the episode once they reach New York City, going from Abe wanting royalties for his portrayal of the toys, to finding out where photographer is after thinking that his career got ruined for him running off. I like seeing the family go to Texas, though the pacing gets slower where they hang around the Prada store for to long looking for the photographer. I really like the chemistry that Abe and the photographer got when they reunite, it gave us a sweet ending to it.

Overall a good watch if you like to see more of Abe, mixed with some traveling. I liked the mystery that was slowly unraveling of Grampa's portrayal of the toy soldiers, then moving onto finding the photographer and how he ended up. I do find the first half of the episode to be quite entertaining, but the second half is where the pacing gets to slow and the story less interesting. Most of the good jokes were also in the first act. The story was fine and there was some good chemistry going with Abe and the photographer. There's a lot of room to make this episode better though.

3.5/5
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Halloween of Horror/Every Man's Dream 28: There Will Be Buds/Moho House 29: Gone Boy/Throw Grampa from the Dane

If nothing else, this episode had me interested in the plot's mystery the same way "The Blunder Years" did the first time I saw it (whose structure this episode's first two acts are reminiscent of). I'm used to episodes being light on humor, so I don't generally knock a modern era episode for this, and there were some decent moments, but nothing got more than a mild chuckle out of me. Abe's past is understandably a frequently used plot device in the Jean era, given the bottomless mine of stories it provides, though it is a bit overused. Still, I will take a story about Abe from before he was married than another repudiation of Abe's sub-par (to the say the least) parenting of Homer. And the way the mystery unfolded was interesting; I did not see "gay kiss" coming at the beginning of this episode. Nonetheless, I agree the plot slowed down a bit after the revelation, and while I understand Abe's motive for wanting to go to Texas and atone (I'd heard of Marfa, but it is a fairly obscure location for a travel episode), the photographer still kissed Abe without any kind of prompting; in today's #metoo climate, you'd think this wouldn't place all the scorn on Abe, despite his silly dated reaction. And yeah, revealing that the photographer was essentially obsessed with Abe all those years didn't make his character any more sympathetic. I also could've done without yet another joke about that stupid talking cylinder; this may be the 4th episode this season to feature an Alexa joke. I understand that it is the #2 source of relevant jokes right now after Trump, but I'm getting a little tired of seeing it. I also could've done without the Trump and Ted Cruz references. But the most interesting part of the episode was the ending, revealing Abe's firmly heterosexual orientation yet open-minded attitude. It was at least something new added to Abe's characterization that I actually find interesting (even if we never see a hint of it again).

3/5
    Last edited by Nitsy; 01-07-2019 at 07:09 PM.
    Get woke, go broke

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

I found the episode to be pretty decent and fairly likeable. Foremost, it was nice to see a Grampa episode that was not about him finding love, needing to get some medicine or healtcare or something pertaining to him as a father to Homer but instead of something that kept him occupied during some time in the years following World War II, namely being the model for army men toy figures and not only finding out they owe him money but the reason that he never got paid which involves the photographer, which really felt like something brand new instead of old and familir. I wouldn't say it was a great episode and it wasn't really that funny bit it made for a pretty entertaining one in the end due to the interesting plot with the drama regarding Grampa and his guilt so I liked it.

It played out well and jumped from thing to thing quite nicely, such as the army men figures triggering Grampa's bad memory while he's babysitting the kids and getting a check up at the hospital and the family then going to New York to try and get his pay for being a toy model and then to Texas to find the photographer who Grampa wants to confront and make amends with (as it turns out the man was gay and tried to come onto him which confused and scared him into an bit of a phobic fervor); in fact, the reveal about the photographer was done fairly well, the gay aspect implemented well and not too tastelessly. It was a nice little story with the family assisiting Grampa and how the photographer being something of a famous artist (and having a wierd obsession with Grampa in his army getup, having made many paintings and statues of the man, and welcoming Abe with only kindness and thanks was an interesting climax and came out well. It ended on a nice note with Grampa sleeping well that night and having a photo of him and the photographer above his bed (while the little army Grampa's dance with each other in a silly celebratory ending).

The episode had decent pacing and some pretty solid animation overall (what really stood out was Marge struggling with trying to zip up Homer's suit in the beginning and Homer struggling against the hospital orderlies mistaking him as an patient with mental problems and in need of electroshock therapy; loved how they portrayed him angrily tossing around in the doorway and his few hairs flailing around. That part was animated almost too well). As said, it wasn't the funniest as it didn't have a ton of good jokes and gags in store (seems to be the thing for most episodes centered on Grampa) but there were some good ones (like that zip up scene) and the story was pretty enjoyable on it's own. The characterizations were good for the most part; Grampa himself was portrayed well and had a little dimension added to him with his feelings and opening up to the photographer despite being as straight as he is (even giving the man a goodbye kiss out of courtesy, showing that he learned to be more open minded), but the rest of the family was nicely portrayed too despite a few issues (like Marge being condescending towards Lisa and Bart coming off as slightly homophobic, but that might just be Bart being immature as he so often is).

So all in all, I'd say this was a fine enough episode that while far from anything great was an enjoyable one with some good moments, character interactions and humor sprinkled throughout. Again, it was nice with a Grampa story doing something different and the whole toy army men story and how it gradually evolved into something else was a good one despite not being as good as it could have been (it jumped around a little and felt partially messy, the humor should've been sharper and some moments felt a little off), but still was a nice one with a good arc for Grampa and the family along for the ride (even though they didn't do much other than add some humor, really). Decent episode overall, getting bonus points for doing something new with ol' Grampa.

3.5/5
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 01-12-2019 at 06:46 AM.

There isn't much for me to say about the episode itself, it was an average episode for modern simpsons, there were a few jokes that made me chuckle. I can't say I Really cared about the story but it did create some interesting scenes.

People have been complaining about Marge's voice suffering in the last few seasons, I never really heard it.. there was a difference but in the scene where marge has to close Homer's suit rip her voice was so horse .

Mixed sensations with this. The premise, on the one hand, is captivating and interesting. The fact that an elder has to adapt to modern times and overcome the ingrained prejudices of his time is commonplace these days, but the Simpsons had not explored yet. It is a worthy approach to carry out a new exploration of the LGBT + world. In addition, Grampa is the ideal protagonist for this plot. He is the most representative image of the old man's stereotype in Springfield, and his impeccable manhood and homophobia had already been hinted at previously.

However, there is a sad reality. The execution was not successful enough, for more than one reason. First, I feel that the issue of homosexuality is still treated with some caution. I still do not understand why the brake is applied when the focus is on this subject. Also, I think the story has a lot of stuffing around it. The celebration of the anniversary between Homer and Marge (which, incidentally, is another resource on exploited), the passage of Grampa through the insane asylum have more screen time than they should, and the trip to New York is totally unnecessary. Oh, and the scene in which Homer strangles his father has all the tickets to get a place in the post of scenes that make you feel uncomfortable. I also agree with what I read in a previous post, about the abuse that exists in the use of Alexa. Although, being honest, I enjoyed all those jokes. I like that they continue adapting.

Fortunately, not everything is bad in execution. The narrative is well achieved and they manage to generate the incognito of what is causing the trauma of Grampa. It is nice to have an episode of his which is not seen as a burden for his family, and with a different formula than usual. There are several scenes that I liked, like watching the children in the care of their grandfather or the meeting of Grampa with his suitor in the 40s. By the way, Hoffin's character is very good. It is far from the gay stereotype, effeminate and of bad character. He is a simple person who discovered who he really is thanks to Abe. The second kiss that they give between them achieves a pleasant atmosphere. And it's comforting to see Abe so tolerant and willing to take a new step. The phrase of Hoffin, on that nobody is 100% heterosexual or gay is very beautiful, the truth. My favorite scene of the episode is the last word. Maybe it's a bit extensive, but it's also hilarious.

I am forced to make a special mention to the magnificent Rob Oliver. The work of direction and animation is as fantastic as surprising. It already has us accustomed to a higher level, but it is still magical. The reactions of Grampa, the funds of New York and Texas, the fluidity in each scene, the details. Everything is done with a dedication and remarkable dedication. I do not know how much this guy charges, but I'm sure he deserves an increase.

So, episode 650 deserves a 3/5 for me. Pretty good if we emphasize that Abe is the protagonist. But a little weak compared to others who explore the same subject. Normal, if we understand that Price was the writer.
    Fan of the Outstanding Animated Show of 2019.

SEASON 31 - RATINGS
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content: 3/5 / Go Big or Go Homer: 3/5 / The Fat Blue Line 4/5

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

As far as I'm concerned, it's an average-almost alright episode. It could have been worse, it could have been better. I always have good feelings with Abraham's episodes, but we all know they're kinda repetitive over the years, whenever it's not about his healthcare or him feeling neglected, it's about a secret part of his past, but here, seeing him traumatized about a toy of which he was the model is pretty interesting, I'm more perplexed about the execution to be honest.

I mean, as some of you guys already said, the episode doesn't go straight to the point, there are some scenes that feel unnecessary, and not really funny to compensate. Between the overly long "last word" joke, the scene at the asylum (Homer mistaken for a crazy man is not funny at all and way too long) and the pretty pointless trips, I have a problem with the pacing. The real conflict is launched too late and resolved too quickly. But I'm agree it's nice to see Abe with guilt after he thinks he leaded to someone being fired and the ending between them is sweet, that shows he's able to be more open minded. Even if I don't find the photograph much endearing, at least it's not an offensive portrayal or a stereotype.

I guess if the plot was handled with much less padding, it could have been much better. Instead, the episode is for the most part forgettable, not very funny though some scenes made me laugh (especially Raphael and the Monopoly money, hilarious), and we just have to wait the last act to have almost all the best and most interesting moments of this episode, and even them are a little clumsy. Such a shame.

And... oh yeah, as usual, Rob Oliver's direction is a big quality.

2.5/5 (rounded 3 for the poll).
    Last edited by Wile E. the Brain; 01-13-2019 at 02:52 PM.

I was a little concerned when I saw the longish (albeit not full) intro, as it often means that the episode has been padded out despite the plot needing a few additional scenes for better pacing. That was kind of how it went, though it's not the worst example of it. Fortunately the couch gag was relatively short, and while it's not something I'll usually comment on or give much weight to, I liked it. Short, snappy, and creative, as it should be.

The homage to Married...with Children at the beginning made me feel nostalgic, not only for the show itself, but some of the references The Simpsons made to it during the classic era. I quite enjoyed that. In fact, I liked the first act in general. Marge helping Homer get dressed, Abe falling asleep against the window and calling Homer out on not being able to find a babysitter, another appearance by Alexa (I actually kind of like that it's become a running gag), and the kids just being kids, were all good. Homer and Marge's night out was also a pretty good sequence, with the Monopoly money scene being funny and neatly tying into what Abe, Bart, Lisa, and Maggie were doing. Rafael accepting the Monopoly money was silly, but in a good way.

It also set up a relatively interesting story with Abe. The pacing was a little rough, especially as it saw the family travel to not one but two places, but that aside I thought it unfolded rather well as Abe confronted his repressed memories. It took an interesting turn when we found out what was really bugging Abe, and while there were a few problems, it was handled decently. Abe was portrayed quite sympathetically and positively; he's from another time and has his hang-ups, but is still relatively open-minded, and eager to make amends. Having Philip seemingly obsessed with Abe with all those portraits was a bit unnecessary and sort of undermined the notion that the character had moved on, but apart from that, it wasn't really an issue. It ended on an upbeat note with the two of them gaining some sort of closure, and while the delivery of the message may have been clunky, I think it was well-intended.

I think I found the episode a little funnier than most other people as well. In addition to the highlights from the first act that I mentioned, I enjoyed Abe's song (capping it off with the dance was a great button), most of the sign gags, the scenes at the Veteran's Hospital, Abe's flashback to being offered the gig, mercury in the coffee, and the two different airliners for dreams coming true and being shattered. Maybe it's another case of just being in the right mood for it, but it worked for me.

Overall, it could've been better, but I felt it was solid. There have been funnier episodes, and the pacing was rough in parts, but I found myself interested, invested, and entertained. 4/5
    A little less Generic than before.

Mad About the Toy wasn't supposed to be funny, but the story is compelling enough for me to give it a perfect score.

Chalkboard and couch gags were good. +1

The pacing was extremely fast and interesting. We get to see more about Abe's past. +1

The story with Abe was completely original and unique. And I love unique stories from The Simpsons, considering that the show has been running for 29 years already and still can produce interesting stories. +1

The Monopoly money part was entertaining and the ending where Bart was melting the soldiers were both funny. +1

Animation and voice talents great as always. +1

Not as bad as I would expect, actually quite liked it, the ending was just a bit rushed. 3.5/5, rounded down to 3/5. Just praying for a good standout episode soon, because why this season hasn't been good or bad, it's just been consistently mediocore.

Thought it started quite promisingly, but then never really went anywhere - the plot simply wasn't very interesting, and the central mystery wasn't very surprising. Inoffensive but bland, a poster boy for much of the show's recent output. C+
    Season 30 Ratings
    Bart's Not Dead C- Heartbreak Hotel ​D My Way or the Highway to Heaven ​D- Treehouse of Horror XXIX ​C- Baby You Can't Drive My Car ​B+ From Russia Without Love ​B- Werking Mom ​C Krusty the Clown ​B Daddicus Finch B+ 'Tis the 30th Season ​D+ Mad About the Toy ​C+ The Girl on the Bus ​C I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can ​C- The Clown Stays in the Picture ​C- 101 Mitigations C+ I Want You (She's So Heavy) ​C E My Sports ​B- Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy ​C- Girl's in the Band ​B- I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh ​B- D'oh Canada ​C- Woo-hoo Dunnit? ​B Crystal Blue-Haired Persuasion ​C+

Bad episode.
    Actually, very decent episode, that raises, perhaps, an interesting issue of LGBT people in the 1940-1950's (for what the episode got Emmy) + a few of interesting satirical jokes. However, the execution is not the best.

plot 17/25
    absurdity level (the possibility of what is happening) 19/25
    comedy 14/25
    originary (level of references and of unoriginality) 19/25

TOTAL 69/100 (3/5 with rounding or C+). BAD!
    IMHO the most and the least favourite episodes of each season (without clipshows and trilogy episodes):
    1. Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire/Homer’s Night Out 2. Old Money/Simpson and Delilah 3. Bart the Lover/Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk 4. Homer’s Triple Bypass/Marge Gets a Job 5. Secrets of a Successful Marriage/Burns’ Heir 6. ’Round Springfield/A Star Is Burns 7. Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily/Bart the Fink 8. Simpsoncalifragilisticexpiala(Annoyed Grunt)cious/The Springfield Files 9. Miracle on Evergreen Terrace/Das Bus 10. Maximum Homerdrive/Monty Can’t Buy Me Love 11. Faith Off/Pygmoelian 12. Homer vs. Dignity/New Kids on the Blecch 13. Poppa’s Got a Brand New Badge/Weekend at Burnsie’s 14. Moe Baby Blues/Three Gays of the Condo 15. Fraudcast News/Co-Dependent’s Day 16. Sleeping with the Enemy/Pranksta Rap 17. Bonfire of the Manatees/The Italian Bob 18. The Wife Aquatic/Rome-old and Juli-eh 19. He Loves to Fly and He D’ohs/Smoke on the Daughter 20. Coming to Homerica/In the Name of the Grandfather 21. The Squirt and the Whale/Stealing First Base 22. The Ned-Liest Catch/Love Is a Many Strangled Thing 23. A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again/The Ten-Per-Cent Solution 24. The Saga of Carl/Penny-Wiseguys 25. Brick Like Me/The Man Who Grew Too Much 26. Bart’s New Friend/Simpsorama 27. Halloween of Horror/Every Man’s Dream 28. The Town/Trust but Clarify 29. Flanders’ Ladder/Grampy Can Ya Hear Me 30. TBA/TBA

I think that opinions may differ how many people, so many opinions.

Thread Information