Thread: SPACE CHARTER - An Animated Star Trek Parody

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I'm from Canada, eh. People think I'm slooooow.

LOL SPACE CHARTER - An Animated Star Trek Parody

Hi there friends. You might remember my old cartoon thread showing off my channel. Well, I've been busy with a friend for the last few months putting together a pilot for a cartoon we'll be submitting to several film festivals here in Canada called Space Charter. The premise is simply that of a science fiction adventure show with a gang of schmucks that work a mundane job for what amounts to an intergalactic bus company.

We just released our first trailer today:

THE CHARACTERS
    Of course what would a show like this be without a cast to match? We took a long time to develop a core group plus some colorful tertiary characters.

CAPTAIN VICTOR SHATTS: The beefcake captain who's always looking for a way to get rich. He's a smooth talker that enjoys the finer things in the galaxy.
    CONSTABLE XARK: The captain's no-nonsense enforcer who functions as his wingman, although his stern expression is difficult to act. Has a thing on his head.
    OFFICER SINGH: The sworthy partner of Xark who helps out with the Space Charter's security. Sounds kind of Australian.
    MISS NEBULA: The most logical, clear-minded character who puts up with Shatts' idiotic manhood because she secretly makes more money than him.
    ROONEY THE BARTENDER: An old friend of Victor Shatts who always seems to bump into him around the cosmos, ready to deliver empty wisdom.

It's been just my co-producer and I working on this, but we're happy to say the final product will be around the 10-11 minute mark. There's a lot we still need to fix, such as lip syncing and other aesthetics of the picture, but we're going in the right direction I think! I'll end this post with some artwork:

please watch my duck cartoon:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFA9fBhIeR8

I hope this won't die before I get at least a bit of feedback! Here are some more character sketches:

Attached Images Attached Images

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

To give some input I think you've definitely captured the designs of the animated 70's Star Trek series and the limited animation nicely (as someone who does like some funky alien designs I have to say my favorite is the insect guy in the robe). Hope everything goes well with the project.

Your Neighborhood Average Joe Purpleberries's Avatar

I like how the artstyle has a 70s Hanna Barbera vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleberries View Post
    I like how the artstyle has a 70s Hanna Barbera vibe.
    I thank you! I'm glad this came through as strongly as we had hoped.
    Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    To give some input I think you've definitely captured the designs of the animated 70's Star Trek series and the limited animation nicely (as someone who does like some funky alien designs I have to say my favorite is the insect guy in the robe). Hope everything goes well with the project.
    Fun alien design is one of my favourite things to do, so I'm glad you like that. In fact, let me know what you think of some of the other designs, which I'll post below! Limited animation was essential to being able to do a full 11-minute episode between two people in four months. I'm amazed what we were able to accomplish considering we're pretty lo-fi in terms of tech.

Does anyone like storyboards?

and then seeing what they wind up as?

Hope it's fine to give this a little nudge, because I have some rather exciting news to share with our poster...

That's right! Space Charter was submitted and accepted to its first film festival, hopefully one of many, and will be premiering on Sunday March 3rd at the Kingston Canadian Film Festival. While this premiere will likely only be available to those willing to travel in Canada to see it, the pilot will be making its debut on YouTube not long after...

This is very neat for us, as its our first time with any sort of 'official' buzz coming our way. We're hoping to have the smoking commercial from the trailer uploaded in full as our next teaser pretty soon!

Of course if you want to keep up I recommend subscribing to our YouTube channel, or following us on Facebook...enjoy!

8. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Startug

That's definitely farther than any of the other animated pilots have made it from here. Great luck to you.

You're BoJack Horseman, no cure for that.

Thank you! I've been very busy finalizing some things in the past few weeks, but here's a special treat - we produced a cigarette commercial to test an effect we want to use in the final cut! What does everyone think of this effect?

Space Charter is now out, and it won audience favorite at a film festival!

Please, do rate and review!

We are thinking of re-releasing the video with the same VHS effects as the cig commercial. How do folks feel about it?

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

It could be neat as a bonus extra so I'd say go for it if you wan't to.

Thread Information