Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Birthplace of the Flaming Moe Welcome to Moe's's Avatar

Yeah, I do like the horror parodies

'"Uh, Hugh Jass! D'oh, somebody check the men's room for a Hugh Jass"

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by Welcome to Moe's View Post
    I honestly can't agree with that, I don't want to get into a big debateWell, that did not happen. or anything but the Beastie Boys influenced a whole generation of artists from their whole material throughout, specially their late 80's and 90's work.
    Green Day and The Beastie Boys had their own relationship as well. I'm not sure if it's fair to say that one influenced the other. Although, it is clear that there is/was a level of respect there.

Banned

I like Beastie Boys a lot, but there is no question that Green Day was more iconic in the 1990s than the Beastie Boys. If anything most of the Beastie Boys iconic status comes from the late 1980s.
    I used to be a huge Green Day fan, and I don't think they were terribly iconic. They weren't even really noticed in the mainstream until Nimrod. Dookie was still kind of below the radar.

I would argue that the Beastie Boys are more iconic, while Green Day was more influential.

Blog Entries

wat

Banned
    Blog Entries

lol

Banned
    Blog Entries

green day were household names after taking the stage and starting a mudfight at Woodstock '94.

also "When I Come Around", track 10 on Dookie, was their most successful song until the American Idiot singles, so uh that theory is out the window

withered gas station rose Bart's treehouse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by $impson View Post
    I used to be a huge Green Day fan, and I don't think they were terribly iconic. They weren't even really noticed in the mainstream until Nimrod. Dookie was still kind of below radar

CITATION NEEDED

Banned

BIG TEXT MAKES YOU RIGHT

Blog Entries

i mean dude u r just wrong

Blog Entries

its literally a diamond album

Quote Originally Posted by $impson View Post
    BIG TEXT MAKES YOU RIGHT
    There’s no right or wrong u didn’t post any proof to assert yer claim

ps: fuck u

Banned

ps: fuck u
    I think I'll pass, but thank you for the offer.

Gay

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: $impson, cam

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bart's treehouse View Post
    Gay
    Not my first choice of ship, but it could be worse, I suppose.

Blog Entries

Green Day are definitely more well known, and certainly responsible for the success of future bands in the genre, but they're also hella fucking derivative by any available measure, so now that I know more about music, their songs leave me hungry for other artists' songs which came first. Ask any 12 year old girl about her favourite bands at any time between the mid 90s and now. Beastie Boys generally wouldn't feature. I am under the impression that Beastie Boys have been very influential, though. My supervisor at the record store really rated their early work, and he was way more of a pop punk bod most of the time (heck, he was in a Weezer tribute band) -- his main complaint IIRC was misogyny in their lyrics, but I can't reference this statement as I'm not that familiar with them. I'm down for listening to some Beastie Boys now. I'd almost say Beastie Boys have a tendency to be influential for people who don't usually like that genre. A lot of pop punk fans would rate Beastie Boys higher than Green Day, because they're easily more of a novelty if you usually listen to pop punk.
    "Because you watched House, we think you'll enjoy... Fuller House."

Party time... excellent...

Blog Entries

On topic: I do wonder how much of decisions in what to include on The Simpsons took into account syndication in other countries after the show took off. Heck, a large proportion of people here only had between 3 and 5 TV channels throughout the 90s and early 2000s. There simply wasn't room for overly sappy America-centric shows which lack tremendous appeal in their own right. Full House in particular would have been unaccountably weird to most Brits, at least until after the point where Friends got big, so the timeline doesn't line up, I think, for a lot of pre-Friends sitcoms to be massive over here during their original run. With the rise of digital TV in the early 2000s, similarly niche content like Everybody Hates Chris was able to be constantly re-run in the UK, mostly off the back of the success of the few US sitcoms we got during the 90s. Competition for spots was too tight on the most available networks, from what I'm aware, and we already had a tradition of airing our own soap opera omnibuses in the slots where that would be possible.

Example: The first place I heard of Michael Jordan was probably The Simpsons.

Not a celebrity or a famous show but I'm surprised that never referenced the fact that Nancy Cartwright originally auditioned for Lisa and Yeardley Smith originally auditioned for the role of Bart by having some scenes where these characters tries to impersonate their siblings voice.

Thread Information