Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Celebrities/Famous Shows You're Surprised The Simpsons Hasn't Referenced?

I may have missed something, but I can't recall any of the following ever having been referenced on the Simpsons:

Eminem (he was highly controversial and huge during the Scully era; you would think that particular era would have worked in a reference at some point)

Marilyn Manson

The show Full House. Seriously, how the hell?

Michael Jordan? I'm not sure about this one.

Birthplace of the Flaming Moe Welcome to Moe's's Avatar

Beastie Boys, The Rock, Diddy, Backstreet Boys, Conor McGregor (maybe Khabib will get a mention now), Mariah Carey, Hulk Hogan, Wreck It Ralph and Asterix.

I think some of them may have had the odd reference but I'm surprised there hasn't been more, although the Beastie Boys have had their music played a couple of times (Girls and I think another was once too) and they were in a full episode of Futurama, Asterix also did have a mention being on a comic book shelf in an episode somewhere but I believe Asterix is only big in certain parts of the US and not so much others where as within Europe it's huge (specially France where they even have a whole theme park there like Disney world).

Rocko's Modern Life, Doug and Fresh Prince of Bel Air.
    Last edited by Welcome to Moe's; 12-09-2018 at 05:25 AM.

'"Uh, Hugh Jass! D'oh, somebody check the men's room for a Hugh Jass"

Quote Originally Posted by Welcome to Moe's View Post
    Beastie Boys, The Rock, Diddy, Backstreet Boys, Conor McGregor (maybe Khabib will get a mention now), Mariah Carey, Hulk Hogan, Wreck It Ralph and Asterix.

I think some of them may have had the odd reference but I'm surprised there hasn't been more, although the Beastie Boys have had their music played a couple of times (Girls and I think another was once too) and they were in a full episode of Futurama, Asterix also did have a mention being on a comic book shelf in an episode somewhere but I believe Asterix is only big in certain parts of the US and not so much others where as within Europe it's huge (specially France where they even have a whole theme park there like Disney world).

Rocko's Modern Life, Doug and Fresh Prince of Bel Air.
    There's an episode where Homer says, "Lenny said his dad is Hulk Hogan" or something, but I don't remember any references at all to The Rock/Dwayne Johnson or Stone Cold Steve Austin.

I don't recall any references to Rugrats, either. They could have had a scene where Maggie is watching the show or imitating one of the babies.

Michael Jordan appears as one of the celebrities standing in line to be saved as the Y2K bug decimates the Earth in the "Life's a Glitch, Then You Die" segment in Treehouse of Horror X. He's also indirectly referenced in "Marge on the Lam" when the ballet dancer's leap resembles his iconic Jumpman logo as she sails through the air and then pulls down the rim shattering the backboard (though the latter is more of a reference to Shaquille O'Neal). Lenny also imitates him, tongue wagging and all, when he's playing basketball with Homer in Children of a Lesser Clod. Incidentally, Scottie Pippen is also referenced as he has a similar non-speaking cameo alongside Artie Ziff in a flashback in The Ziff Who Came to Dinner.

Eminem is referenced in The Father, the Son and the Holy Guest Star, when Bart mentions that Father Sean quoted him in a sermon. I don't remember him being drawn into any episodes, though.

Come to think of it, it is a little surprising that there wasn't a reference to Full House at some point during the early seasons when it was also on the air. For that matter, with it being resurrected via the Fuller House spinoff, I'm surprised they haven't made some joke about old series being brought back and used it as a reference. Then again, I guess if you're going to rip on it - then or now - it is kind of low hanging fruit, which may be why they never bothered. It hasn't stopped them from making other fairly blatant parodies and potshots, but maybe they felt there wasn't anything new they could bring to the table with a reference or parody of Full House.

Madonna would be another celebrity that they've referenced by name a few times, but not actually drawn in as a visual gag or parodied with a knock-off caricature.
    A little less Generic than before.

I don't remember Full House, what is it? Maybe this wasn't a thing in the UK, I'm not sure? As I know Seinfield was huge in the US yet here in the UK no one barely even knows it, so it could be the same with the Full House thing?

In regards to The Rock, I'm sure he is mentioned somewhere, not sure about Stone Cold though, quite surprised Ric Flair hasn't been mentioned as he is huge in popular culture (rappers mention him all the time), John Cena is another, has he ever had a reference within The Simpsons? I'm not sure?

I'm trying to think of where/if The Rock got mentioned, something rings a bell but it's probably very brief, really surprised he hasn't been included more or even a guest on the show as he would have been very cool.

What about in the earlier days Vanilla Ice or New Kids On The Block were all huge during the classic seasons of The Simpsons I believe, though New Kids on the Block got a mention in the fairly recent (ish) Simpsons I believe, something about Boston and not a Wahlberg in the bunch with I think Hangin' Tough or something or other playing. MC Hammer has had a few references so I'm surprised there hasn't been more with Vanilla Ice, I'm surprised Madonna hasn't had a but more either when you think about it?

Maybe they have though but there's been that many it's hard to remember them all.

Full House was a family sitcom that ran from the late 80s through to the mid 90s, notably being the show that launched the careers of the Olson Twins, It was quite popular and successful, though it does have a legacy of being rather cheesy and saccharine. Its style is basically the antithesis of shows like The Simpsons and Married...with Children, both of which came along around the same time, so in that regard it's interesting that The Simpsons never parodied or took a few shots at it.

Oh yeah, I've heard of the Olson Twins but only vaguely however that shows how huge the show must have been, I guess it just wasn't a big thing here in the UK so probably why

There is probably quite a lot, I mean Will Smith is another that came to mind but as I say, I could have missed or not remembered certain one's too

Considering the tone of Full House, I wouldn't be that surprised if it wasn't particularly popular in the UK. It's a far cry from the tone of shows like Blackadder, One Foot in the Grave, Keeping Up Appearances, Only Fools & Horses, and all the other classics. Britcoms have traditionally had more of an edge and protagonists that aren't necessarily heroic, admirable, or even likeable in the normal sense, compared to shows from the US. As sappy as Full House was compared to other US sitcoms, it would've probably seemed even more so next to British comedies.

Yeah, I'm not sure if it was even brought over here, it probably was but if so it never really got the attention (as far as I'm aware anyway) as like with the Seinfield thing I doubt many people even know what it is or have watched it here yet that show was huge in the US. A lot of US shows do become huge and popular here though such as Wonder Years I think did as did the Cosby Show, Friends of course is one of the most popular shows ever here and Fresh Prince too, so many but there's also a lot that didn't really take off in the UK yet I know were huge in the US, I guess it also depends on how much they are supported too by the UK TV channels as if they don't really push the show on their network or put them on channels no one barely watches and times slots too no doubt affects it also but you're completely right, the tone is very different and I know there's been a lot of people that don't really get the humour in some of those US shows yet others become huge, Cheers was another that became huge here as did Roseanne but again they were supported really well here so that's probably why some don't get across as much I guess

But yeah, you're completely right, specially with the way you describe them with the heroic, admirable, or even likeable in the normal sense thing, I think you've pretty much nailed it! Men Behaving Badly was also another that was really huge as that's cause not only was it really funny and had a great cast guys and girls could really relate to it as it was kind of a guys vs girls thing but in a good way, such a great, great show which was really well done and put together

This is it here, I think it may have made it's way over to Australia but I'm not fully sure?

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

There's some celebrities I'm surprised they didn't referenced yet. But since @Welcome to Moe's mentioned it, I think there's some celebrities they kept for Futurama, like the Beastie Boys in Hell is the Other Robots.

Yeah, they had the whole episode on the Beastie Boys didn't they on Futurama, where they did the Intergalactic track or something in the show? Also, maybe cause Adam Yauch passed in 2012 too possibly plays a part though I'm surprised they weren't in The Simpsons before hand.

Yeah, just watched the clip now and it's based upon their Hello Nasty album with Intergalactic playing and Super Disco Breaking in this clip (a reference to Sabotage too from their Ill Communication album), what year was this episode done do you know?

Non-Simpsons scare me. Road Rage's Avatar

Although this doesn't answer the question asked, it did get me thinking... have they ever referenced any of the Simpsons video games? There's been so many and at least Hit & Run was well-received. I'm not sure how they would slip in a reference without making it weird and out of place, especially when the games only really existed by referencing and being based on the show, but it would be cool.

I can't recall any off the top of my head. They've pretty much been treated as a separate entity/canon, though perhaps I'm forgetting some subtle shoutouts.

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

While they have made a passing reference to him (and pretty late in the series, if I recall correctly), I'm kinda surprised that Will Smith never appeared physically either in person or as a photo/picture, not even back when he was very popular.

Same, I'm surprised with The Rock too as I could really imagine him being in The Simpsons, I've just googled now and apparently he's been mentioned in Mathlete's Feet but it's nothing really.

https://simpsonswiki.com/wiki/The_Rock

Will Smith mentioned in Steal This Episode and he's also referenced in The Monkey Suit, again seems brief so is surprising.

https://simpsonswiki.com/wiki/Will_Smith

Junior Camper

Not the show, but there was a comic story where Lisa was possessed by Madonna (why yes, it was a Halloween comic, why do you ask?). Outside of Joe Frazier and Gerry Cooney's cameos, have they ever referenced any famous boxers?

SuperFriend Rembrandt Q. Einstein's Avatar

Arthur Fortune is shown fighting Muhammad Ali in Monty Can't Buy Me Love.

I don't believe (in addition to what you said) they have ever referenced:

Like anything Will Ferrell has done.

I believe Jim Carrey was supposed to voice a character but I reckon he'd have been a great guest, there's been a couple of references I think but I reckon he'd have been brilliant.

I'm also surprised there hasn't been more Beavis and Butthead, there's a brilliant couch gag opportunity in that alone and the show still has a huge following.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhadley View Post
    Not the show, but there was a comic story where Lisa was possessed by Madonna (why yes, it was a Halloween comic, why do you ask?). Outside of Joe Frazier and Gerry Cooney's cameos, have they ever referenced any famous boxers?

Well, Tatum is a Mike Tyson parody.

I've heard they wanted to get Tyson and Don King on the episode The Homer They Fall and that they declined.

In "The Mansion Family", they did actually refer to Mike Tyson by name and showed him on a poster using Drederick Tatum's character design (much the same way Rainier Wolfcastle became Arnold Schwarzenegger in the movie).

Quote Originally Posted by Welcome to Moe's View Post
    Beastie Boys

Apparently, Matt Groening likes The Beastie Boys so much that fans were starting to speculate due to their sheer magnitude of appearances in his shows.

Discussed here -http://bbs.beastieboys.com/showthread.php?t=59532

Yeah, I'm surprised they haven't been in there as a guest, I know someone there suggests maybe Matt didn't want to overdo it with the Futurama appearance too but it really wouldn't as not everyone watched Futurama who watches Simpsons anyway. I've heard their songs a few times in The Simpsons but it's not the same as an actual appearance, I'd still love Mike D and Ad Rock to appear too, it would be a nice tribute to them also as obviously since MCA has passed away it's been hard for them.

Come on Matt and co, get Mike and Adam in for a little appearance.

I cannot really argue with any of that. I honestly think you are just stating facts at this point. The Beastie Boys are one of the most iconic things about the '90s that I can think of, in addition to The Simpsons. Frankly, it is astounding that they were not included in any shows.

Perhaps they would have been included if The Simpsons Movie was greenlit in the '90s, the way Green Day was since it was greenlit in the 2000s.

Blog Entries

Green Day was more iconic in the 90s though, hell even more iconic than The Beastie Boys were.
    Fuck Donald Trump. #NotMyPresident

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuffBlimp View Post
    I cannot really argue with any of that. I honestly think you are just stating facts at this point. The Beastie Boys are one of the most iconic things about the '90s that I can think of, in addition to The Simpsons. Frankly, it is astounding that they were not included in any shows.

Perhaps they would have been included if The Simpsons Movie was greenlit in the '90s, the way Green Day was since it was greenlit in the 2000s.
    Who knows, the Green Day appearance was great but you're probably right in regards to that as they would have gone with who was releasing more so around the time too but yeah, it's surprising they haven't been in an episode and I still feel it would be a great honour to have them appear even as Mike and Adam with a nod to Yauch too, I reckon it would go down really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stanley View Post
    Green Day was more iconic in the 90s though, hell even more iconic than The Beastie Boys were.
    I honestly can't agree with that, I don't want to get into a big debate or anything but the Beastie Boys influenced a whole generation of artists from their whole material throughout, specially their late 80's and 90's work. In the early 90's they combined their punk roots with the rap (they were originally a punk band were the Beastie Boys) and created tracks such as Gratitude and Sabotage which influenced artists in the early 00's such as Limp Bizkit and Kid Rock etc.. with their sound a little earlier, they would not only do the rap tracks but their albums were full of live instrumental studio jams too let alone the majority of the rappers that are coming out even today (Yelawolf for example being one of many) highly influenced by them and biting their lyrics in his tracks too (as a compliment) to the Beastie Boys. Eminem has also said many times that if it wasn't for the Beastie Boys (along with LL Cool J) he wouldn't be rapping and he even modelled himself on them not just by his vocal style but his humour, look and everything when he first came out in 1999, this is also why his latest album (Kamakaze) artwork is a copy of Beastie Boys Licenced To Ill and why also in the Bezerk video he mimics their video because they made him what he is today and as big as he is, he still honours those who paved the way and influenced him which is nothing but a huge compliment to Eminem.

Not sure Green Day had that big of an influence on artists in general let alone long term, which is nothing against Green Day by the way as they're a great band but I just don't feel they've been anywhere close as to what the Beastie Boys have in regards to influencing not only a generation of artists who have become hugely successful but also in popular culture.

Man the Beastie Boys are even a huge influence on the Star Wars movie's and a lot of their characters are named after them even in the recent movies, their influence is huge.

Blog Entries

Green Day influenced entire subgenres for over a decade. without Green Day there would be no Blink 182's or The Offspring(in the mainstream sense at least) or Fall Out Boys, not to mention countless other pop punk bands. In 1994 Green Day was the next Nirvana, it prompted major record labels and mainstream radio/television to pay attention to punk rock in a way no one in the United States ever had. Within the next few years punk rock was all over MTV and on mainstream radio. There's a reason why Dookie sold 10 million albums by the end of the 1990s.

I like Beastie Boys a lot, but there is no question that Green Day was more iconic in the 1990s than the Beastie Boys. If anything most of the Beastie Boys iconic status comes from the late 1980s.

Blog Entries

what beastie boys song was ever played on an episode of Seinfeld(never mind the last episode)? what beastie boys song was belted out at the World Series? what beastie boys song is a staple at graduations and weddings to this day?

oh yea not a single one.

Blog Entries

don't talk about Eminem in 2019

30. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Two-Bit

Blog Entries

also you dont need to tell me the beastie boys were originally a punk band I probably know more about them than you do. certainly been listening to them, both their punk rock and rap eras, longer than you have. only one of us has the No Sleep to Brooklyn/She's Crafty 12 inch vinyl single after all

yes that's a flex you are just gonna have to eat it sorry

Thread Information