Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Missed opportunities in The Simpsons Movie?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

While having Scorpio as the villain of the film probably would have spoiled the novelty and uniqueness of 'You Only Move Twice' and I being on board with having a new villain voiced by the same actor, I think it could have given the film a bit of duality and presented a good conflict for Homer who struggles with an allegiance to his old boss who was (and probably still is) friendly to him and his family and the rest of the townsfolk who get threatended by the supervillain and his plan.

That would probably be too complex, especially for the general audience who never saw the orginal episode (however that didn't stop something like 'Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan' from being really popular even to those who never saw the original episode with Khan).

Birthplace of the Flaming Moe Welcome to Moe's's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E. the Brain View Post
    I'm totally agree with @Venomrabbit about Hank Scorpio. Since this anecdote came out, I saw lot of people disappointed by the fact they wasted an opportunity to make Scorpio come back. But I'm glad they didn't do this since, even if he's a supervillain, I can't see him as an enemy for the Simpsons. It would have been a betrayal against what makes his character so special and so great.

That's pretty much the way I think. After all, there are some movies based on an animated series that totally worked with new characters, and some others that worked as well with nothing more than the regular cast. But in the case of new characters, in general I prefer when they don't neglect or replace the regular ones consequently.
    I can completely see this and obviously this is a sentiment quite a lot of people share so I guess it really is a case of if they had have gone ahead with Scorpio it really is how they'd have written it and of course how it ended too in regards to this, being a special one off character if there was risk of ruining that it makes sense for them to not have gone with it, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    While having Scorpio as the villain of the film probably would have spoiled the novelty and uniqueness of 'You Only Move Twice' and I being on board with having a new villain voiced by the same actor, I think it could have given the film a bit of duality and presented a good conflict for Homer who struggles with an allegiance to his old boss who was (and probably still is) friendly to him and his family and the rest of the townsfolk who get threatended by the supervillain and his plan.

That would probably be too complex, especially for the general audience who never saw the orginal episode (however that didn't stop something like 'Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan' from being really popular even to those who never saw the original episode with Khan).
    Yeah, I think it's as above really, would all depend on how they did it though I would love to know their reasons in regards to why they changed this whole Scorpio idea (if this was the case) as it would be interesting to see if it's the reasons we've mentioned here too

'"Uh, Hugh Jass! D'oh, somebody check the men's room for a Hugh Jass"

I wish the people behind this movie knew what a movie was and why that works.

While it can be entertaining, even a spectacle, at the heart of any good movie are characters and story that stems from a naturual interest of the one creating it. A desire to paint your soul in motion. Clerks was just a day at a convenience store, Toy Story was two bedrooms and a gas station (wasnt it?)

So, when it comes to the Simpsons, why did the tv show work?

It represented an unapologetic satire of American life, with an expanding roster of characters.

With that in mind, I wish they had done a film centered on those two key elements.

Nuclear power plant is closing down, maybe Burns becomes mayor, as he wishes to "spruce up" the town, as you see your favorite parts of Springfield all starting to look the same.

When it comes to bringing back memorable one-off characters, Jessica Lovejoy would be a blast. Acting as a rival to Bart rather a love interest. Competing with one another in skateboarding, and calling out how Bart had changed as a character. A fun litte b or c plot.

And, this really isn't Hollywood, but just an entire film where we spend a day in Springfield would be great. No villains or heavy plot. Much like the rebelious nature of how the show started, the film itself could buck Hollywood trends.

Birthplace of the Flaming Moe Welcome to Moe's's Avatar

So, when it comes to the Simpsons, why did the tv show work?

It represented an unapologetic satire of American life, with an expanding roster of characters.
    Exactly that @HomerJaySampson, as I say when you watch a movie of your favourite show, you want to see all your favourite characters involved and appear on the big screen, the same goes for recognisable places and locations (IE Moe's Tavern, Nuclear Power Plant, Krusty Burger etc..), these are the things you want to see on the big screen.

Thread Information