Thread: Disco Stu

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Disco Stu

What are your thoughts on this character?

From my recollection he's almost always been presented without much if any depth, but there is an episode (I don't recall which one) where he suddenly shows that there's more to him than there usually appears to be.

I feel like he hasn't been used much if it all this decade - is that the case?

Disco Stu... likes disco music.

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: shit

الذهاب المغيرين i need a xmas name's Avatar
    Blog Entries

you're not welcome to moe's
    Fuck Donald Trump. #NotMyPresident

Socking dingers Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

He’s a pretty one-note character. He said in How I Spent My Strummer Vacation that he actually hates disco, and in Springfield Up, there’s a nice fakeout gag where he wanted a captain’s license and turns on some disco music. That’s about as deep as I can remember his character getting.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

Non-Simpsons scare me. Road Rage's Avatar

He doesn't treat goldfish humanely.

That's as far as my thoughts go.

The joke in Strummer Vacation only works because he doesn't have much depth. Disco Stu is great as a very minor character; he shouldn't be given much more depth (I felt the same way about the cat lady).
    "Your tears say more than real evidence ever could."

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Beggs

I'm with Nitsy here. His appearances have worked and he's been funny because he hasn't been overused or had his character needlessly expanded upon (with that particular gag being a good example). They've gotten some good mileage out of him, given that he was added for one very specific joke.

The real question is whatever happened to his friend who pointed out the jacket to him?

...actually, we probably don't need to see an answer or any depth there, either.
    A little less Generic than before.

Yup, still the worst. Venomrabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Stu isn't exactly super deep and all but it seems unfair to compare him to the cat lady. The latter has pretty much one joke, gibber and throw cats. There's at least a little variety to Stu like the dead shoe fish so he at least has that much going for him.

I mean usually I'm all for expanding on characters but then in Stu's case he's a bit limited by design. In that respect though, he is one of the better used characters, he isn't getting grating or anything so hey, he's still cool.
    Last edited by Venomrabbit; 12-04-2018 at 03:23 AM.

Uh, Hugh Jass? Welcome to Moe's's Avatar

He's a good little character but he doesn't have much depth and is pretty much there for the gimmick, sure like any character you can get creative and add some story line around them like Stu could easily be one in regards to him idolising John Travolta (probably) and the reason why he so wants to be this kind of character (maybe he was lonely) however they are pretty much created for that quick laugh and gimmick really for them to come in, do their thing, give their little catchphrase, make you laugh and go, I guess they're kind of random characters and sometimes they're best kept that way.

It's a little like Duffman, he's kind of the same

'"Uh, Hugh Jass! D'oh, somebody check the men's room for a Hugh Jass"

I liked when he was cured of his disco obsession. Now I'm just Stu. Nothing Stu.
    Pokemon Moon Friend Code 5473-2104-2310
    offering all starters, Zorua, and many more
    Shiny Druddigon (f) offered for your shiny.

About to murder someone... BloodySimpsonChibi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

He DiSCOeD wHEN No One eLse WOuld.

I can't believe i fucking did that I fucking hate myself so much
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    I'd imagine patting Lisa on the head would sting, damn kids with their spiky heads.

.-- .... -.-- / .- -- / .. / .- .-.. .-- .- -.-- ... / .- .-.. --- -. . .-.-.-

Thread Information