family guy r&r: "CON HEIRESS"

Quote Originally Posted by fox
    Brian and Stewie take a trek to the inside of my ass
    ,tonight at 9pm

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

Blog Entries

some funny jokes and herbert died but i aint praisin an ep that did that extremely long name joke 3 times!! 2.5/5

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

Well, since my usual style was copied on that joke review from last week... And honestly in a way that I felt as though the person doing it was mocking me, I've decided to not even bother with that this week. That said, there honestly wouldn't have been much for me to say in terms of stuff that I liked because most of what I saw tonight was just awful.

Just from the premise alone, the episode didn't sound like it would promise anything, and then when the promo pics came out I went "This episode's gonna put me to sleep, will it?". And by the time we got to the scene where we got not one, but TWO overly long gags in a row (saying the heiress' insanely stupidly long name twice and the desperate hyena), I went "I'm fucking done!". But then the episode decided it needed to one-up itself on the shit scale by providing the AD!-esque 3rd act derailing twist of randomly throwing Quagmire into the mix which was the point where I was like "Fuck. You! FOREVER!!". And while the final punchline with the reveal of the heiress being Meg was admittedly a little funny, I was like "Too. Fucking. Late!".

The biggest thing I took away from the subplot was "God, how long's it been since we've actually seen Herbert?" Other than that though, it was same levels of stupid and pointless that I expect from modern AD! in terms of their subplots that feel like they exist because they didn't have enough story for the main plot (which is further evidenced by how many pointlessly long gags we get in a single episode).

0/5 Like I already said, I never expected this episode to be good, but at the very least I could've given this episode the slightest bit of credit over Send in Stewie, Please for at least taking place in more than one location. But nope, instead I was forced to waste 22 minutes on an episode that felt like a rejected AD! script that was given to this show and thus being on-par with Death by Dinner Party from that show in regards to how nonsensical and all over the place this piece of shit was. Easily the worst of the season yet and more than likely to become my pick for worst episode of the series for 2018.
    Family Guy Season 17 Ratings - Married... with Cancer: .5/5 Dead Dog Walking: .5/5 Pal Stewie: 3/5 Big Trouble in Little Quahog: 3.5/5 Regarding Carter: 1.5/5 Stand by Meg: 2/5 Griffin Winter Games: 2.5/5 Con Heiress: 0/5 Pawtucket Pete: 2.5/5 Hefty Shades of Gray: .5/5 Trump Guy: .5/5 Bri, Robot: .5/5 Trans-Fat: 2/5 Family Guy Lite: 1.5/5 No Giggity, No Doubt: 1.5/5 You Can't Handle the Booth: 1/5 Island Adventure: 4/5 Throw It Away: 2/5 Girl, Internetted: 1.5/5 Adam West High: 1.5/5
    American Dad! Season 15 Ratings - Fantasy Baseball: 1.5/5 I Am the Jeans: The Gina Lavetti Story: 0/5 Stan & Francine & Connie & Ted: 0/5 Rabbit Ears: 1.5/5 Jeff and the Dank Ass Weed Factory: 1/5 Lost Boys: TBD Shark?!: TBD The Long March: TBD

Blog Entries

This episode seemed fairly typical Zombie FG to me, so a 2/5. I admittedly laughed at Brian reciting the absurdly long name, and the joke about how she goes by Pip, but Stewie repeating it and the birthday song weren't funny at all. The subplot having a throwback to Corey's World was pretty funny, but the rest was predictable Herbert stuff. Guess there is a reason they never use him.

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Liked Herbert exploding (no way that character is actually dead lol). Heir plot was almost interesting, kinda wish they went further with how many characters were involved with this con. Long name joke being said 3 times was pretty bad.

2/5

Quote Originally Posted by John95 View Post
    Well, since my usual style was copied on that joke review from last week... And honestly in a way that I felt as though the person doing it was mocking me, I've decided to not even bother with that this week.
    I make fun of those I love. Please keep doing your review style, I like reading them.
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

Blog Entries

that overly long last name annoyed me far more than it probably should have. the first time. stewie immediately repeating it, and the birthday song killed what was already a dead joke. never have I been so close to changing the channel...

there were some decent bits, like Herbert exploding and the subsequent reborn to look like Groot{complete with "I am Herbert!"}, the lollipop bit, and I actually thought the ending was pretty good. the rest was kinda forgettable though

Blog Entries

Jesus Christ, this was one of the most tedious fucking slogs of an episode to get through, even without them doing the long name joke three times (And stopping themselves twice more) it was still an absolute shit heap. Genuinely one of the worst episodes I can think of in recent times.
    How to remaster

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

Why did they have to do that long last name joke three times? Was the episode running short and they needed filler?

@Captain_Smiley, Obviously they did. Why else would the episode also be sprinkled with a handful of somewhat overly long gags such as the desperate hyena which came right after wasting nearly three minutes on doing the same long last name gag twice?

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Not only did they run that lengthy name gag into the ground (this was the FG version of a "rake scene"), but it turned out to be a Mr. Herbert episode. I'll believe he's dead when we don't see him again; when he does show up, the excuse will be that he sprouted from his plant self.

If you needed a perfect example of Family Guy wasting potential, this episode would probably have to be it. This episode has a premise that sounds like a fun Stewie-Brian caper, but it was executed poorly and was tedious and mean-spirited. The main plot had some fun twists, but it was full of pointless padding and had an unsatisfying and confusing gag resolution. The side plot was lifeless Herbert jokes mixed in with unpleasant moments like Peter getting a boner and more "jokes" about Bonnie and Joe having a bad marriage. The funny jokes like Stewie's head rotating were hardly enough to tip this one into good territory. Ugh, this one actually made me long for snore fests like "Regarding Carter", which is not a good sign.

2/5

Episodes like this one really drive home the point that Family Guy is well past being in a position to make fun of other shows. I'd still rate the three minute Conway Twitty cutaway as the bottom of the barrel as far as lazy overly long gags are concerned, but this episode sure gave it a run for its money with all its attempts. 1/5
    A little less Generic than before.

Junior Camper

That name 'joke' wasn't funny the first time. I sighed with relief after Tom Tucker stopped saying it - that would've been 4 times!

Meg was the old woman? That makes no sense to anything.

Herbert's dog planted a piece of his flesh in a flower pot and now he's a bonzai tree?

Wtf!

Awful!

Al Jeany apologist scully apologist's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We need to get rid of the cancer that is Alec Sulkin and all the manatees on this show.
    oh my you're so rock n roll

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by edwithmj View Post
    That name 'joke' wasn't funny the first time. I sighed with relief after Tom Tucker stopped saying it - that would've been 4 times!

Meg was the old woman? That makes no sense to anything.

Herbert's dog planted a piece of his flesh in a flower pot and now he's a bonzai tree?
    The name joke could have been funny the third time if Brian and Stewie talked over it rather than have the door go back and forth.

As for Mr. Herbert, looks like somebody hasn't seen Guardians of the Galaxy.

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    The name joke could have been funny the third time if Brian and Stewie talked over it rather than have the door go back and forth.

As for Mr. Herbert, looks like somebody hasn't seen Guardians of the Galaxy.
    No thanks. 'Superhero' films are two a penny and if the plot involves someone turning into a Bonzai tree, I'm clearly not missing anything.

What the fuck did I saw?!! God awful.! What really pissed me off was saying that stupid name 3 times!! Instead of adding shit in the name like How I Met Your Mother and Monty Python, they should have given her 3 names and that's it! These writers SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wanted to scream "Shut up!!!" I've always hated Herbert and he makes me vomit!! Seeing him blown up was a relief but I hated when he came back Groot. I'm glad Tom Tucker didn't say that name. The only good things were Clevelands' dream and Meg as the heiress. I didn't see that coming. I laughed and cheered for Meg. But this still gets a big fat 0.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Late post, but this is without a doubt the worst episode of the season. Both plots sucked, and I can't tell which one was worse. Brian and Stewie almost never have bad plots together, this was among the worst. Maybe the subplot was worse, because it make me assume it was a Fresh Heir rehash (both episode has the word "heir" in the title and involve Peter and Chris). A few jokes (Stewie rotating his head, some cutaways, Joe and Cleveland's scenes) saved it as usual, but in the end, it was one big mess. Don't get me started on being forced to watch 45 seconds of a long ass name. And the heiress being Meg was the dumbest plot twist I've seen. (Then again, they probably shoehorn her so Mila Kunis can her paycheck).

What is it with old writers (from seasons 1-8) suddenly losing their touch? Mark Hentemann used to be one of the best writers of FG, until this and The Unkindest Cut happened. I hope Kirker Butler's next written episode isn't as bad as Hentemann's return (he hasn't written since the second Laugh It Fuzzball part of the Star Wars trilogy).
    Simpsons: 4 > 6 = 7 > 5 > 3 > 8 > 2 > 14 > 15 > 13 = 10 > 9 > 16 > 20 > 1 > 24 = 21 > 26 > 22 = 25 > 23 > 19 = 27 > 18 = 28 > 12 > 11 > 17 = 29

Family Guy: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 5 = 6 > 15 > 16 > 10 > 14 > > 7 = 11 = 9 > 8 > 12 = 13

American Dad: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 6 > 5 > 8 > 9 > 7 = 11 > 10 > 13 (so far) > 12

The Cleveland Show: 2 > 1 > 4 > 3

Futurama: 5 > 4 = 1 > 2 = 3 > 7 > 6

Rick and Morty: 2 > 1 > 3

Not intending to necro the thread but, HONEST question. WHAT is it with Family Guy and their bullshit fetish over 30+ second long jokes? I.E. Cool Whip/A While/Wil Wheaton or Stewie yelling for Lois for 30 seconds
    Seriously they've been doing this literally almost every episode now and it's no longer just shockingly lazy it's just borderline tiresome.

I shit you not this was not a problem in the first four seasons.

Like a lot of Family Guy's tired standby gags, it has origins in jokes that worked the first time, but now they just try to force it. For example, Peter falling over and hurting his leg was funny the first time because went on just long enough, kind of like the infamous rake scene in The Simpsons. It isn't funny to everyone - nothing is - but some gags are funnier because of how long they're able to be drawn out. Unfortunately, Family Guy has tried to push it too far, and too often. Instead of picking something that is funny because it's drawn out, they draw something out under the notion that it will automatically be funny, and then gone to that well more often than they should.

It's the same with their jokes that are acerbic, or push the boundaries of good taste and political correctness. Rather than coming up with something funny that's pushing the envelope, they push the envelope and rely on the humour to come from the mere fact they "went there". It's the difference between a really good dirty joke, and a kid rattling off swear words because they and their friends find it hilarious they're saying something a parent or teacher will scold them for. The former is evergreen, while the latter loses its impact over time because there's no substance, relying simply on being taboo than a good bit of humour.

Thread Information