Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: "The Winter of Our Monetized Content" (YABF19)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Rate & Review: "The Winter of Our Monetized Content" (YABF19)

Season 31, Episode 1
    Original Airdate: September 29, 2019
    Writer: Ryan Koh
    Director: Bob Anderson
    Showrunner: Al Jean
    Synopsis: When a video goes viral of Bart and Homer fighting goes viral, they begin a journey as social media celebrities. Meanwhile, Lisa battles the school's new industrialized detention system.

Previous R&R
    Next R&R

INDUSTRY REVIEWS
    - The A.V. Club - Dennis Perkins - B-
    - Den of Geek - Tony Sokol - 3 / 5
    - Bubble Blabber - Jesse Bereta - 9 / 10
    - Puzzled Pagan Presents - Patrick Gaertner
    - Me Blog Write Good - Mike Amato
    - Phil Payton {YouTube} - C
    - Max Power {YouTube} - 6 / 10

SIMPSONS REDDIT DISCUSSION THREAD

TV VIEWERSHIP - 0.9 Rating / 4 Share - 2.33 Million Viewers

R&R Poll Average Score: 2.86 / 5 (as of January 17th / 28 votes)

Users Who Have Voted & Their Score for the Episode
    AlphaOmega {3} / BartArt {4} / bboynexus {3} / BloodySimpsonChibi {3} / Brad Lascelle {2} / CousinMerl {3}
    CrumbBum {3} / D DEBBS {1} / Financial Panther {3} / firedude750 {3} / Frankbags {3} / GlitterCat {2} / Hockey Mask {3}
    Homer Samson {3} / idm {4} / John95 {2} / Kaine {3} / Mikesuper26 {4} / Nameless {3} / Nitsy {3} / owo {1}
    PatrickButler21 {3} / Sam {5} / Shoskin {2} / Szyslak100 {3} / That Don Guy {3} / Wile E. the Brain {2} / wiley207 {3}

IMDB User Rating: 5.7 / 10 (as of February 16th / 477 users)
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 02-17-2020 at 12:23 AM.
    SEASON 31 RANKINGS
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 1.5/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2.5/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3.5/5
    THOH XXX = Danger Things - 2.5/5 / Heaven Swipes Right - 1.5/5 / When Hairy Met Slimy - 2/5
    Gorillas on the Mast - 3.5/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5 / Livin' la Pura Vida - 5/5
    THANKSGIVING OF HORROR = A-Gobble-ypto - 3/5 / The Fourth Thursday After Tomorrow - 5/5 / The Last Thanksgiving - 3.5/5
    Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? - 3.5/5 / Bobby, It's Cold Outside - 2.5/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 1.5/5
    The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 2/5 / Frinkcoin - 3/5 / Maggie Simpson In "Playdate with Destiny" - 4/5
    Bart the Bad Guy - 5/5 / Screenless - 2/5 / Better Off Ned - 2.5/5 / Highway to Well - 4/5

So we're going to try out something different this season and forego the traditional R&R thread poll. The reason being that we've had some unfortunate issues with people employing alternate mirror accounts to log multiple votes in the weekly polls and effectively skew the consensus score for the site. This has been happening unchecked for a while and this is an attempt to curb that behavior.

Now I still want you guys to score the episode as you would normally. And you can do it without much additional effort if you choose by simply posting a quick reply and leaving a clear score out of either 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 out of 5. No half scores. No letter grades. No scores out of 10 or 42 or 1,000... although you're welcome to leave scores in that fashion if you don't want them counted in the consolidated community score for the thread.

I will tally each unique score from a unique individual and a unique IP to go along with them and update the opening post throughout the season with a consolidated score so it really won't be much different that it has been already. We just need an added safeguard to ensure that folks are voting honestly and ONCE... employing multiple accounts while the rest of us only vote once doesn't exactly reflect the views of the NHC community now, does it? Every person that contributes to the overall consensus score will be referenced in the opening post along with the score given so there will be no question as to whether your grade has been counted or not.

And leave comments with your scores as always. We want conversations in these threads about the episodes so be sure to share your impressions, what you liked and what you didn't like just as you always have. Most of you have always provided your score along with your impressions so this won't change much of anything at all outside of saving you an extra step. Heck, there's even an added bonus now in that you can CHANGE your vote over time and I will note the change. So it won't always be locked in based on your first impression.

Please don't hesitate to follow up with me via PM should you have any questions regarding this change. Thanks and happy reviewing!

Blog Entries

This episode was weird. On the plus side, it was quite a bit funnier than the average modern episode; there were quite a few jokes that worked, and the parodies were actually done decently as well, especially with how fickle people can be with social media stars. I loved the joke at the end with Maggie viewing the train crash video. That was too relatable with my well-known viewing of fatal racing crashes. Only one joke really went on too long, and that was Homer’s laughing about the monkey.

Otherwise, the Bart/Homer fight scenes were quite unpleasant. The writers at least tried to soften it by giving Homer and Bart a good relationship offscreen, which was nice to see, but the fighting and the fact that that’s how they were getting views just felt a little too mean for me. The conclusion was really easy to see as well, with Bart and Homer choosing not to fight. Not that I would want to see that, of course; it’s just very predictable the way it is.

The subplot was pretty disposable, although it had a couple of good jokes (Caitlyn/Kaitlyn/Kate Lynn was recycled from Waverly Hills, 9-0-2-1-D’oh, though). The license plate thing was really out of left field, and I think it could’ve been done better.

Overall, I guess a 3/5 is fair.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

Hercules Rockefeller Homer Samson's Avatar

This was surprising, it was actually watchable, even for a Jean-runned Koh episode. I didn't like the fight scenes, I agree with Panther that they are really unpleasant. But I'd much rather watch this than Dad Behavior or Singin' in the Lane, but I would still rather watch Krusty the Clown.

3/5
    Best and Worst Episode per Season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish/Bart's Dog Gets an 'F' 3: Bart the Murderer/Saturdays of Thunder 4: Homer the Heretic/So Its Come To This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Lady Bouvier's Lover 6: Homie the Clown/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Raging Abe Simpson and his Grumbling Grandson in " The Curse of the Flying Hellfish"/Scenes From the Class Struggle in Springfield 8: The Springfield Files/The Old Man and the Lisa 9: The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson/Miracle on Evergreen Terrace 10: Mayored to the Mob/Homer Simpson in: Kidney Trouble 11: Grift of the Magi/Eight Misbehavin' 12: Trilogy of Error/I'm Goin' to Praiseland 13: The Blunder Years/The Lastest Gun in the West 14: Moe Baby Blues/The Strong Arms of the Ma 15: My Mother the Carjacker/Co-Dependent's Day 16: The Heartbroke Kid/Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story/The Bonfire of the Manatees 18: The Mook, The Chef, The Wife, and Her Homer/The Boys of Bummer 19: Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Husbands and Knives 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Lisa the Drama Queen 21: The Squirt and the Whale/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fight Before Christmas 23: The Book Job/Lisa Goes Gaga 24: The Saga of Carl/Love is a Many-Splintered Thing 25: Brick Like Me/What to Expect When Bart's Expecting 26: Sky Police/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Barthood/Every Man's Dream 28: 22 for 30/The Caper Chase 29: Flanders' Ladder/Singin' in the Lane 30: Woo-hoo Dunnit?/I Want You (She's So Heavy)

This wasn't a bad episode, I went back and forth on my score throughout the episode. I absolutely hate the sport's guy, this isn't the first time he's been on the show, I just don't like his energy, I don't think it fits the simpsons.. I also hate that side of homer, sometimes he's too soft and just rambles on like a dummy.

I really didn't like the hipster but I thought there were a couple of funny jokes and it was a good parody of the influencers, CBG and his wife had a fun scene in there.. I preferred the B story in this episode, the parodies were great and the references to the private prison system were on point.. it's unfortunate that the B story sort of just deflated and we didn't get a nice ending.

3/5

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: idm, owo, tyler

It was ok. Never been a fan of "hip" Simpsons eps. 3/5

9. Thumbs Up To This Post by: idm

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

3/5 - the main plot started off good, but tailed off when it got to the "Homer and Bart make up, and nobody cares about them anymore" part; also, the subplot went nowhere and ended abruptly, as if the writers didn't know how to end it.

But it wouldn't be a post without some references, right?
    There was Caitlin / Kaitlin / Kate-Lynn (LABF10), and, of course, a Bort license plate (2F01)

Also, Skinner references "the Tot offensive" (not to be confused with Tet), so presumably the flashback is to Vietnam - but isn't he a little too young now to have served there? Even if he was 17 when Saigon fell in 1975, he would have to be 61.

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    but isn't he a little too young now to have served there? Even if he was 17 when Saigon fell in 1975, he would have to be 61.
    Is it worth getting hung up on continuity details like these? Skinner can be in his 40s or 50s and still have served in the Vietnam War even if that's technically impossible. The reality of The Simpsons is elastic and always has been. There are certain inalienable background details that the characters will have no matter how long the shows stays on the air.
    SEASON 31 GRADES

The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 3/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2.5/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXX - 2/5 / Gorillas on the Mast - 2.5/5 / Marge the Lumberjill - 2/5
    Livin' La Pura Vida - 4.5/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror - 5/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? - 3.5/5
    Bobby, It's Cold Outside - 2.5/5 / Hail to the Teeth - 2/5 / The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson - 3.5/5
    Frinkcoin - 3/5 / Bart the Bad Guy - 4.5/5 / Screenless - ?/5 / Better off Ned - ?/5
    Highway to Well - ?/5 / The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby - ?/5 / Warrin' Priests (Part 1) - ?/5
    Warrin' Priests (Part 2) - ?/5 / The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds - ?/5 / Way of the Dog - ?/5

Blog Entries

13. Thumbs Up To This Post by: idm

I vote 3. It had funny moments and the ending was good unlike Family Guy. I watched all the shows from Animation Domination tonight and the ending to Family Guy was terrible. The Simpsons had a better premiere tonight.

16. Thumbs Up To This Post by: idm

It's been many a moon since The Simpsons produced a great premiere and that doesn't change with The Winter of Our Monetized Content.

Like so many other premieres over the years, it's serviceable and inoffensive yet peppered with the usual HD-era shlock. I quite like the core idea of Homer and Bart finding some respect for each other by fighting - there's an interesting dynamic to their relationship buried somewhere in that disingenuous hostility - but the episode never does enough to lift that material to a level that leaves a strong impression. John Mulaney is another in an ever-growing list of disposable one-time guest-stars, half the gags (usually aimed at pop-culture) fall flat while the other half (usually character-based) succeed at generating a chuckle, and an interesting B-plot ripe for satire is let down by a lack of screentime and, well, The Simpsons' complete satirical impotence. Effective satires are far and few between these days which is a shame because the industrialised detention system idea could have been quite effective.

3/5
    Last edited by bboynexus; 09-30-2019 at 03:07 PM.

Blog Entries

Eh I don't usually give ratings.

I was right, the B plot probably needed to be an A plot to really breathe. It didn't really go anywhere and then just stopped, more or less. Actually, now I feel like it would have been fun to have a story with the immediate aftermath of the detention, with Lisa becoming a troublemaker but maybe her idea of causing havok is mostly mildly annoying inconveniences and such but she's still running with the likes of Jimbo. Instead it switches gears to what the synopsis detailed but outside of the first scene of that it doesn't go anywhere.

The A plot on the other hand, was a little better than I thought. It wasn't super-obnoxious anyway. And I do like that it actually causes things to improve between Bart and Homer, my guess is that they're getting out their aggression through the videos. And hey, it actually ends well for Bart this time, which rarely happened last season. Not exactly a superb start but it was a pleasant enough watch.

TyrantSells $100 toilet paper D DEBBS's Avatar

1.....Robot Chicken was a lot better than last night's ep.

To quote Jasper: "You've wasted 30 minutes of my life and I want them back!

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

Well, here we go again. Unfortunately for me, this season started with a perfectly bland episode in my opinion. Though, I have to admit, it was better than I expected considering the topic and the writer.

The ironic thing is, at the end of the episode, I had the feeling the whole thing was a missed opportunity. Somehow, it's a bloody miracle. Things started on a pretty mediocre way with Homer trying to host his own show on the Internet. I do had a good laugh when Bart said "I can't believe he's wasting Flanders' wi-fi on this", but then the viral videos plot started and I didn't thinked things get that much better afterwards. Once again they tried too much to rely on modern references which was a bit embarassing at times. The hipster was a bland parody of that kind of people and I didn't liked how they still try to make Homer and Bart's fights as unpleasant as possible nowadays (even though they somehow have the excuse of being forced to do it for their popularity).

But what I really enjoyed with the plot is the fact it was sometimes a clever way to launch a good bonding between Homer and Bart, with them being closer to each other through their viral videos business. It was enjoyable and it was a funny way to show they actually love each other even if they show it by hostility. Though the episode could've gone further into this side of the plot. Also, and here's why I think this episode kinda feels like a missed opportunity, I think the satirical side of the plot is too much exaggerated and lame to be accurate. Like Homer and Bart being forced to fight to death to regain popularity... I think it was too much silly and "on the nose" of an idea. Could have been more clever with the satire towards the world of viral videos, though some bits actually were.

The subplot joined the category of the "now you see me, now you don't" subplots. It was interesting at the beginning (despite the "on the nose" parody, I miss when the parodies were well integrated into the plot), but once again and that despite the satirical potential, it was as much of a missed opportunity as the main plot, and like you guys said it was completely let down. The humor isn't very on point either, I had some chuckles and a couple of laughs here and there (I must admit the joke with Maggie watching a train accident got a big laugh out of me), but the majority of the jokes fell flat, and there was too much forced modern references as a cover for the overall emptiness of the script. By the way, it looks like they don't give a damn anymore about making the difference between the parody of a company and the actual company. I mean, Homer and Bart's videos are seen belonging on MyTube, but the characters still talk about it as YouTube. Seriously.

Oh well, at least the dynamic between Homer and Bart was interesting, but I felt like it wasn't enough for me to consider this episode decent. Since we let down the half scores and probably for the best regarding the average score, I'd go with 2/5, the good wasn't good enough for me to have a higher score. But like I said, could've been worse I guess.
    Last edited by Wile E. the Brain; 09-30-2019 at 08:58 AM.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E. the Brain View Post
    By the way, it looks like they don't give a damn anymore about making the difference between the parody of a company and the actual company. I mean, Homer and Bart's videos are seen belonging on MyTube, but the characters still talk about it as YouTube. Seriously.
    That could be a legal issue more than anything else. Remember the animated series based on the movie Clerks? In one episode, the characters were saying "Little League," but all of the signs that appeared on the screen had to call it something like "Junior Major League."

Well, I've never seen this animated series. But if that was the case, still, they still could've been making the characters saying MyTube instead of YouTube.

New season, new episodes. First off, the season premiere.

I think this one was halfway decent. I liked the premise of Homer's internet sports talk show escalating into a fight with Bart which gains traction online and the two getting caught up in the world of social media, viral videos and monetization as MyTube/YouTub celebs with the help of this hipster guy was a topical plot and okay. It went a little far with the violence but it was pretty exaggerated and goofy and none of them suffered real, serious injuries & them bonding in the meantime was a plus (though it felt off as their interactions were a bit stiff at times, though this was probably intentional). The e-celeb hipster was bland but I guess captured this type of person well and guest star John Mulaney did well.

The satire wasn't great at all and kind of lame, shallow & confused but was okay with the take on the e-celeb internet subculture how you can monetize your dumb, silly and/or violent online videos, not to mention the ridiculous marketing in the videos and viewers being obsessive sheep and glued to their smartphones 24/7 and being petty jerks like Comic Book Guy (who doesn't seem to be able to accept that the stars have a life outside the web). It wasn't that bad but it wasn't very at all clever and felt pretty standard & like it was running out of steam by the end (also, I too noticed the MyTube/YouTube discrepancy error but it didn't bother me much). Also, Homer & Bart suddenly quitting during their gladiator fight and making up on the spot felt a little off and rushed; I think it needed better build-up and the emotion just wasn't there.

Lisa's subplot about her ending up in detention after accidentally started a foodfight was alright as well and about just as good, at least for the first half. I liked the satire on rampant privatization with even detention getting privatized with Lindsay Neagle taking over it and turning it into an labor camp of sorts for the kids. Then Lisa starts a protest and the kids go on strike so a bunch of adults are called in to do the license plates instead. End of story. What? That was really it? They had something a little clever here and then it just ended emptily. Maybe they should have saved this one for a main plot of another episode? My favorite part was the food fight which was probably one of the better such scenes they have done on the show (I liked the gag with the nerd crew perfecting their throwing with mathematics for one thing).

So all in all, it wasn't horrible. The main story was alright and an alright subplot (until it was cut short), a bunch of jokes and gags that landed well for me, nice animation in places (especially the fights) and some generally good and on-point characterizations (especially for the family as they all felt pretty much in character and not too exaggerated). I think the first 2/3rds of the Lisa plot and some of the character moments was the strength of the episode but the rest of it, especially the satire, was pretty weak and could have been improved upon and actually led somewhere interestingn. It felt like it mostly scratched on the surface and lacked any depth. Both stories ended anticlimactically but it wasn't so bad, though the script should've been meatier and less shallow.

Like I said, calling it a decent enough episode feels about right and it was pretty much how I envisioned it to be. A bit of topical (if really lightweight and shallow) satire with middling results in an okay story (though I would have been fine with more of a scathing takedown of the insanity of the internet celeb community and influencer marketing than what they pulled here) and an underdeveloped but okay subplot and a bunch of nice jokes here and there. Not great but not bad. Decent but sort of enjoyable . It could have been improved upon a lot, especially with the satire, but I'm decently satisfied (though I think Matt Selman could have done wonders with it and the satire & bumped it up a few notches).

3/5 (2.5/5 with half points)
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 10-04-2019 at 01:44 AM.

My thoughts are more or less the same as what everyone else has already said. Though something I'll add is did we really need that cringey moment of Homer's head cut open after being hit with the bottle? That felt like a leftover from the first few seasons after FG's launch where they were ripping off it's style in some areas like that.

The subplot was slightly more interesting, but kinda felt like it was all over the place and just abruptly stopped on a sudden non-ending much like this week's FG. Like @CousinMerl said, it probably would've been better suited as the main plot for a different episode.

2/5 Since we can't do half points anymore I figured this was an appropriate score from me as I think giving this a 3 would be too generous.
    Family Guy Season 18 Ratings - Yacht Rocky: 1.5/5 Bri-Da: 2.5/5 Absolutely Babulous: 1.5/5 Disney's The Reboot: 1.5/5 Cat Fight: 1.5/5 Peter & Lois' Wedding: .5/5 Heart Burn: 1.5/5 Shanksgiving: .5/5 Christmas is Coming: 2/5 Connie's Celica: 0/5 Short Cuts: 2/5 Undergrounded: 1.5/5 Rich Old Stewie: 3.5/5 The Movement: .5/5 Baby Stewie: 0/5 Start Me Up: TBD Coma Guy: TBD
    American Dad! Season 16 Ratings - 100 Years a Solid Fool: TBD Downtown: TBD 4/27/20: TBD A Starboy is Born: TBD

The plot, by itself, is ideal for The Simpsons. Homer and Bart's dysfunctional relationship at last got monetized! That is a brilliant idea. Homer would have been one of the highest-paid YouTube stars, if he was a real person.

4/5.

P.S. I've been expected this kind of plot ever since 'Politically Inept, with Homer Simpson' was aired.
    Last edited by BartArt; 11-16-2019 at 04:11 AM. Reason: rewatched

Hercules Rockefeller Homer Samson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John95 View Post
    My thoughts are more or less the same as what everyone else has already said. Though something I'll add is did we really need that cringey moment of Homer's head cut open after being hit with the bottle? That felt like a leftover from the first few seasons after FG's launch where they were ripping off it's style in some areas like that.

The subplot was slightly more interesting, but kinda felt like it was all over the place and just abruptly stopped on a sudden non-ending much like this week's FG. Like @CousinMerl said, it probably would've been better suited as the main plot for a different episode.

2/5 Since we can't do half points anymore I figured this was an appropriate score from me as I think giving this a 3 would be too generous.
    I admit that they could have done more with this episode's ending, but comparing it to Yacht Rocky's ending is like comparing a 14 day old apple to a 204 day old apple

Quote Originally Posted by John95 View Post
    For the record, I'll still be rating episodes myself on a half-point scale in my sig file... and you can do that as well.

I just ask that you reference a definitive whole number score in your primary thread response so it's clear how you want it to be counted towards the consensus NHC community score. We've never had half-points in the weekly poll, after all.

I was thinking of how the likes of @John95 and @Wile E. the Brain rating it 2/5 and it was nearing that for me at times, but I just never felt it got that bad.

It had some good ideas (the satirical topics were interesting as said) and had okay execution of it's elements (even with the disappointing endings that felt so sudden) and some decent jokes in there (and they really milked the monkey sniffing his finger and falling over with the later appearances but I didn't mind it so much; it was a fine silly callback joke). It's perfectly middle of the road average.

I'll just repeat myself with my wish that Selman would have helmed this one. He could possibly have turned this average episode into a really good 4/5 story.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 09-30-2019 at 11:31 AM.

Dang, I had a whole thing typed out and then I lost it. Oh well.

3/5

The best part of the episode was Bart and Homer's relationship improving and the scene with Maggie was cute.

I liked the gag in the beginning with Homer's "kebabs".

The modern references were mostly tiresome. The microbrew joke was okay, but the Backpack Kid homage was just cringey. The one-off Hipster was more obnoxious than funny. Family Guy's "Hammer the Millennial" was a better parody of that type. The premise of one (or more) of the Simpsons going viral isn't a bad one, however.

Homer laughing at the monkey would've been better if it had stopped before the time elapse cut.

Lisa's subplot was interesting and funny but it didn't go anywhere.

Overall, the episode had a decent premise, but it didn't quite reach 4 or 5 territory. The satire felt a bit weak and the plot was predictable and repetitive after a point. That coupled with a weak subplot made it feel like a lower effort episode.
    Get woke, go broke

@CousinMerl, like I said it was mostly really bland to me. It didn't reached the terrible territory, it's just... bland. And like I said once again, a missed opportunity, with a satirical side that isn't really clever despite a few good ideas, but overall exaggerated and as dull as the episode itself. I probably would have given 2.5 but for the consensus score, I rounded it to 2 since I think 3 would've been generous considering how I felt in front of the episode, and especially considering the fact it could've been more interesting and more clever.

@Wile E. the Brain, I do agree with a lot of what you said. There were for sure a lot of missed opportunities in this one, it fell short of being clever and didn't fully utilize the satire as it should have (they just scratched the surface like I said), but it still kept my interest and while the topics were ultimatedly handled in lacking fashions there was still enough decent to good enough things in it for me not to go lower than 3/5, perhaps especially due to the abolishment of half points.

Also, I did not mind the modernisms and modern references (I still don't think it's wrong that the show now has current day references in it as it has always been a mirror to the time it was made in, even if they overdo it sometimes). I also didn't completely get the feel that they were used to cover up the shortcomings of the story but sometimes it almost came across as that with them playing up certain things a tad too obviously.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 09-30-2019 at 02:33 PM.

32. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    (I still don't think it's necessarily wrong that the show has current day references in it as it has always been a mirror of the time it was made in)
    You're absolutely right about that, but in that case, I thought it was forced as hell, and not really well integrated into the story, even considering the main topic. Maybe it's just my opinion but still. It's kind of like what bothers you in the new DuckTales version, with all those references to modern culture that feel forced at times. I still don't get why they felt forced to include the backpack kid thing in it.

@Wile E. the Brain, it's true that the 'DuckTales' reboot sometimes feels like it overdoes modern pop culture jokes by being really in your face with YTP horns and whatnot (though as I've said they have improved) and that can (and has happened) in 'The Simpsons' sometimes (and I'd argue that they could sometimes have been a little more sparse than throwing in everything and the kitchen sink, sometimes forcibly so).

Something that 'The Simpsons' has over the new 'DuckTales' is it being an satirical sitcom while 'DuckTales' is an adventure-comedy series which is why have an easier time swallowing the former doing it than the latter (and in comparison I feel 'The Simpsons' often do theirs in tame ways while 'DuckTales' has done it more aggressively as if to really push them being a modern series from the 2010's; 'Gravity Falls' for instance did their modern pop culture jokes well and never went too far. They even had a good meme joke).

But still, I can see and understand your annoyance at this episode and it's modernisms. They went a little far and sometimes it felt like having something for the sake of it (I think the influencer party scene felt kinda pasted in for instance. To spoof influencers was a good idea but it felt like they did nothing with it).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 10-01-2019 at 12:04 AM.

I honestly wish the lisa in detention story was the main plot. The Bart and homer fights were a little too graphically violent. Nothing in the family guy range, but I remember seeing homer bleed and thinking it was excessive. I did like them genuinely bonding and cbg was used well as a YouTube critic. The hipster and Caitlin gags had been done before. It's not terrible but it's not super funny either so a 2 for me.
    Pokemon Moon Friend Code 5473-2104-2310
    Looking for shiny, legendary, and mythical. Got shiny Sandshrew (Alola)
    Have various starters, zorua, can breed many pokemon.
    Current egg move hatching: Tyrunt with fire fang

Thread Information