View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

7 21.21%
  • 4/5

9 27.27%
  • 3/5

12 36.36%
  • 2/5

4 12.12%
  • 1/5

1 3.03%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: "Krusty the Clown" (XABF22)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Rate & Review: "Krusty the Clown" (XABF22)

Season 30, Episode 8
    Original Airdate: November 25, 2018
    Writer: Ryan Koh
    Director: Matthew Faughnan
    Showrunner: Matt Selman
    Synopsis: Homer finds his calling as a TV recapper, but his harsh grading causes a brawl with Krusty. After almost killing Homer, Krusty hides out at a real circus, and finds happiness there.

Previous R&R
    Next R&R

INDUSTRY REVIEWS
    - The A.V. Club - Dennis Perkins - B-
    - Den of Geek - Tony Sokol - 4.5 / 5
    - Bubble Blabber - Jesse Bereta - 7 / 10
    - WikiSimpsons - Loco87 - A-
    - Phil Payton {YouTube} - A-
    - Max Power {YouTube} - 6 / 10

SIMPSONS REDDIT DISCUSSION THREAD

TV VIEWERSHIP - 0.8 Rating / 3 Share - 2.11 Million Viewers

R&R Poll Average Score: 3.50 / 5 (as of April 27th / 32 votes)
    IMDB User Rating: 6.8 / 10 (as of April 27th / 283 users)
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 04-27-2019 at 06:02 PM.

Kinda like Jesus Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was kind of underwhelmed by this one, but it had some moments. I liked the recapper subplot better than the main plot, even though it was reminiscent of Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? I was never a huge fan of Krusty, so that could affect my enjoyment of the main plot, but it was nice to see him in a place where he enjoyed doing his acts. The part about the subplot I didn’t like was the brief marriage conflict, but that ended up being pretty quick and mostly painless. I found it interesting again when Homer met the guy in charge and learned about all the fake shows, but I think we could’ve gotten to that point without having to have a Homer/Marge conflict. Also, the guest star at the beginning and end of the episode was quite pointless. I’ll give it a very low 3/5.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

3. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Done with life BloodySimpsonChibi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Okay. First of all, can someone, anyone PLEASE get Pennywise in here because someone needs to kill that asshole of a kid at the beginning of the episode. Seriously, he needs to fucking die.

Personally, this episode was depressing but it was nice seeing Krusty truly happy for a while at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    I'd imagine patting Lisa on the head would sting, damn kids with their spiky heads.

5. Thumbs Up To This Post by: pax

Blog Entries

whoa chill the heck out bsc

Blog Entries

Why would an old punk band kill a kid
    Fuck Donald Trump. #NotMyPresident

In retrospect, we really should have earmarked this as a likely Selman ep long before now given that he's handled the final ep of the production run each of the past 4 seasons. Why would we have expected this one to be any different?
    SEASON 30 RANKINGS
    Bart's Not Dead - 2.5/5 / Heartbreak Hotel - 1.5/5 / My Way or the Highway to Heaven - 3/5
    THOH XXIX = Intrusion of the Pod-Y Switchers - 1.5/5 / Multiplisaty - 2.5/5 / Geriatric Park - 2/5
    Baby You Can't Drive My Car - 2/5 / From Russia Without Love - 3.5/5 / Werking Mom - 3/5
    Krusty the Clown - 4/5 / Daddicus Finch - 5/5 / 'Tis the 30th Season - 2/5 / Mad About the Toy - 1.5/5
    The Girl on the Bus - 2/5 / I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can - 4.5/5 / The Clown Stays in the Picture - 1.5/5
    101 Mitigations - 3/5 / I Want You (She's So Heavy) - 1/5 / E My Sports - 3.5/5
    Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy - 4.5/5 / Girl's in the Band - 4/5 / I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh - 1/5
    D'oh Canada - 2.5/5 / Woo-hoo Dunnit? - 3.5/5 / Crystal Blue-Haired Persuasion - 1.5/5

Really liked this episode. Lots of nice little callbacks to previous episodes throughout. The two plots worked well together and that USA Network bit was hilarious. Thought this one had a ‘movie’ vibe to it and if anything the episode could have been longer with such a strong plot idea.

Animation was really amazing in this episode, particularly on Krusty and Homer. Very smooth, comedic flowing motions and the lighting/direction I thought was on point.

5/5
    you'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

“Pretension” by Calvin Klein ataeaf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The thing that most stood out to me was the impressive direction (aside from the odd bluder of Homer’s lips being badly synched during his first line). Faughnan did a really good job, particularly on the car chase with Homer and Krusty, and when Bart checks up on Krusty.
    ah (as in apple)-tuh-eef

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Quote Originally Posted by ataeaf View Post
    The thing that most stood out to me was the impressive direction (aside from the odd bluder of Homer’s lips being badly synched during his first line). Faughnan did a really good job, particularly on the car chase with Homer and Krusty, and when Bart checks up on Krusty.
    I noticed that too, almost seems like the line was changed without being reanimated/cut. Wonder if that is the case what he could have possibly said that would require them to change it late in production?

Quote Originally Posted by dragonlink2 View Post
    Animation was really amazing in this episode, particularly on Krusty and Homer. Very smooth, comedic flowing motions and the lighting/direction I thought was on point.
    Quote Originally Posted by ataeaf View Post
    You can make a compelling argument for Faughnan being the 2nd best director actively working on the show right now after Oliver. (At least in terms of the current rotation... obviously Mike B. Anderson is still in play as supervising director and Halloween of Horror shows he can school just about anyone.)

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

What - the poll used numbers instead of letter grades?

I know EW recaps use letter grades; just how popular are they? And yes, I am aware that, "back in the day," alt.tv.simpsons used them as well.

Krusty is at the JMC Deli - the only two references I can think of are, there's an actual JMC Deli in Ridgewood, NY, or it's a reference to Red Dwarf, where everything is branded JMC (Jupiter Mining Corporation).

"Why - is it Season 4 again?" I assume that's a self-reference, but how many shows can this be applied to?

The list of shows on TV includes Two Broke Girls, which ended in April of 2017.

Soggy looks more like Homer than like Krusty.

I'm surprised USA gets slammed like that, as what may be its most popular show - Monday Night RAW - is run by a company that is putting a show on Fox starting next October.

Was it just me, or did the shift from "2D" animation to "3D" when Homer got into his car take anybody else "out of the moment"?
    It reminded me of a scene in Titan A.E., but in reverse - a 3D landscape panned to a 2D shot of two characters.

Your Neighborhood Average Joe Purpleberries's Avatar

That was actually not too bad. Both plots were paced well(definitely a lot better than the likes of his debut Dad Behavior). The Homer becomes a recapper plot was mildly amusing although there had to be a brief marriage crisis(which didn't add much to the plot) for some reason. The fake shows reveal was pretty absurd that it was actually kind of funny. The Krusty becomes a circus clown plot was alright. I thought the musical number was decent. I also have to say that the animation was well-done especially in the car chase scene at the beginning. However, Billy Eichner's appearance in the show was really pointless. We only see his character at the beginning and end of the episode and his character was just some generic corporate asshole.

A passable episode that's a lot more tolerable than the likes of his previous two efforts. 3/5(B-/C+)
    Last edited by Purpleberries; 11-26-2018 at 06:18 PM.
    Simpsons Season 30 Ratings: Bart's Not Dead: 3/5(B-) Heartbreak Hotel: N/A My Way or the Highway to Heaven: 3.5/5(B) THOH XXIX: 2.5/5(C+) Baby You Can't Drive My Car: 3.25/5(B/B-) From Russia with Love: 4/5(B+) Werking Mom: 3.5/5(B) Krusty the Clown: 3.5/5(B) Daddicus Finch: 5/5(A) Mad About the Toy: 3.5/5(B)

[QUOTE=That Don Guy;3787979]What - the poll used numbers instead of letter grades?

Numbers? Grades? Who gives a flying poop? Either way someone is going to get pissed off.

"Why - is it Season 4 again?" I assume that's a self-reference, but how many shows can this be applied to?

He's canceled. He quits. He replaced. It is kind of redundant. Some were good, somewhere not so good pointless.

Now my review:

A is for Ralph has made me chuckle. I like Ralph.

I don't like it when the writers make Bart an asshole. Krusty tries to kill his father and he helps the clown.

Krusty failed at a couple of activities in the circus tent one of them being riding a tricycle.

The Simpsons was on the list of shows. The list though was pretty accurate that there is a lot of shit on television that shouldn't be on or even watched for that reason. Reviews are also bullshit since its only someone's opinion, for example the one I'm typing at the moment. IMDB is another great example of a website that gives reviews on shows and movies that don't deserve the grade given to them. I remember in the beginning when the SJW (A term I particularly hate using unless it deserves it) gave the movie Ghostbusters (2017) a good review. To me I say watch the original.

I give in a 3/5 or a D-.
    I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries.

Quote Originally Posted by CNN sucks! View Post
    Why would an old punk band kill a kid
    You're showing your age.

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

Not bad. I like the main plot more than the subplot. So much background stuff that I have to watch it again.

Actually an Esquilax Venomrabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, this was... probably the second weakest behind My Way or the Highway To Heaven. Which is a shame, it'd be a solid episode if it just focused on Krusty. That stuff was good but then they continued with the recapper thing, a ten second marriage crisis and what might be the most pointless guest character in forever. I mean I'm suspecting they have some mandate to always have one but why not someone at the circus? I don't even think he had a name! Why not just use someone that already exists? And then there's an evil corporation moment that felt right out of season 11 and 12 and none of it went anywhere.

Also it was kinda strange seeing CBG with some lady that wasn't Kumiko. I think the latter did show up at some point but still.

22. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

-Maybe my reaction isn't as strong as BSC's, but yeah, this kid is annoying. Love the Milhouse-related headline, though.
    -"I'll teach you to insult a thin-skinned Hollywood narcissist". Some decent satire so far.
    -Krusty drives a Tesla, very hip.
    -"Is it Season 4, again?" Self-reference?
    -Okay, when I first heard about this episode, the idea of Krusty trying to kill Homer sounded worse than it ended up being.
    -I like seeing Krusty going back to his clowning roots and the animation during the circus scenes is great. The "Bart helps Krusty" plot has been done many times, but I'm not complaining. I can now tolerate the unmemorable title of this episode.
    -I was wondering how this was going to become a marriage crisis. I'm bored already.
    -"Marge creates what feels like false jeopardy". You said it Homer. And no, the moment is not well-earned.
    -Not sure what the whole Hippo Juice thing is all about. It's odd.
    -The musical number was not bad. I still don't think every episode needs a song and a montage, but this was one of the better ones.
    -Sure are a lot of TV show name-drops this episode.
    -"Justifiable Homercide" lol
    -Obviously Krusty wasn't going to stay with the circus, but it was kind of nice seeing him happy doing something different.

This episode was alright. Both plot-lines were good ones; this wasn't a clear case where I didn't care about one of the plots. Recapping TV is a perfect job for Homer and Krusty putting his clowning to real work in a circus is a welcome change. Unfortunately while it was fun seeing Homer do what he did, and this episode actually had some decent satire of clickbait journalism and TV-reviewing, they just had to get Homer to stop what he was doing with a half-baked marriage crisis. We didn't even see the resolution of this part of the plot either--Krusty gets off for trying to kill Homer and then Lisa and Homer write their expose of the streaming industry. But what happened to the marriage crisis? Not that I care, but then why did it need to be brought up in the first place? There could've been another way to get Homer to find out the truth about the non-existent shows. The Krusty plot was handled pretty well, I loved the scenes at the circus, and it was nice seeing Krusty not be so jaded and depressed and working with Bart again. It was just disappointing when it didn't last, even though we all knew it wouldn't. I also admittedly didn't find all too much to laugh at this time, though apart from the annoying and unnecessary guest star and the Marge bit, this episode was more pleasant than not.

3/5
    "Your tears say more than real evidence ever could."

I expected this to be bad like most modern Krusty episodes, but both plots were well paced and quite funny. 4/5.

25. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Billy made me want to poke my eyes out with a fork. That's all.

Blog Entries

A rather mediocre episode that has its merits. I like that they gave Krusty his own plot where he turns into a circus clown, which apparently is entirely different from a TV clown. Homer's sub plot as a recapper was rather funny and integrated with the main plot well enough. I only didn't care for the marriage crisis that made Homer quit his job.

The beginning with Skinner approaching the journalists already made me worry that this new Billy character might have played a bigger role. I already ddin't like that he didn't sound like a kid at all. Good thing that he only played a minor role, and I liked how Lisa stood against his ideas of turning the school newspaper into online clickbaits. Homer fits well in his new role of recapper and gave us some funny scenes of Krusty being dragged down by his ratings. I found the car chase scene to be done really well with the animation, it had a more cartoonish vibe to it and it had a couple of good jokes with Homer rating Krusty's car chase and Bart worrying for Krusty over Homer (which wasn't that unexpected at that point though). Then the main plot starts with Krusty joining the circus undercover as ''Soggy''. I like most of the new circus characters like the ringmaster, hobo clown who Krusty speaks tot he most, the bearded women and the pack of random clowns. While the circus clowns hate Krusty the Clown a lot, they surprisingly didn't recognise Krusty's voice as Soggy.

Both Krusty and Homer's plot had some good and funny moments with Krusty performing horribly at the circus and Homer reviewing popular shows that he apparently doesn't know a thing about. ''Walking Dead, to much walking not enough dead'', this joke might've been funnier if he said talking instead of walking, which is a more appropriate description for the show. Didn't care for the fight with Homer and Marge afterwards. Krusty had some sad moments when he got kicked out of the circus, but didn't take long for him to return (while still being fired). Then he somehow managed to perform much better and even ended up in a belly of a lion (who later turns out to be 3 dogs in a suit, so explain that to me). I like how the bearded woman fell for him, the musical number was kinda random and at this point of the season they do it so often. Homer got his best scene for his plot when he encountered the man in charge of all the shows, and reveals that there are way to many shows for which he doesn't care for as people will subscribe for ''fake shows''.

The last act has Krusty do something noble for the circus. Good way to end the plot by turning himself in and getting free during court (since Springfielders don't approve Homer's recapping). Maybe the circus folk could've acted nicer to him than that but I guess it works better for their dislike of TV clowns. Ralph being the next recapper was also kinda random, and it didn't feel like Homer's plot had a proper resolution at all. The closing credits returned Billy for who again I didn't care for.

Both plots were overall a good watch. Its good to see a Krusty focussed episode with a better and more down to earth story, rather than pairing him up with a random celebrity which is what they often do with modern Krusty episodes. Homer's plot felt more like a smaller version of ''Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner?'', but added both a marriage crisis and a somewhat silly conclusion of learning the truth about how TV shows work. Its a good way to set up the main plot with the sub plot that started in the first 6 minutes of the episode, and then having the sub plot continue as a smaller plot. I liked the casting with the circus crew, not so much for Billy. The network guy was also pretty good. The humor is rather thin and spread, it felt like a lot of jokes just didn't hit as much as it should have. Like Homer making fun of big TV shows like Game of Thrones and Walking Dead, as he could've made much better jokes than he did. For Game of Thrones he could've joked with something like ''All these chaarcters were actually really likeable!..... and then they all died. C-''. And I couldn't find the joke with Ralph being the new recapper to be any funny. For the rest I really liked the car chase scene, though I didn't care for the marriage crisis stuff that could have been left out and give Homer another reason to make him quit his job.

3.5/5
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Halloween of Horror/Every Man's Dream 28: There Will Be Buds/Moho House 29: Gone Boy/Throw Grampa from the Dane

So far this episode appears to be garnering mediocre reviews, and for good reason. Like many others have said, the "fifth grader" introduced in the beginning of the episode was rather annoying and he sounded nothing like a child. I will never understand why they have these guest stars make appearances in episodes, only to cast them as child characters and thus into a role in which they clearly do not fit. That being said, Homer becoming a recapper was decent and had some funny bits here and there. I definitely enjoyed the scenes where Krusty attacked and strangled Homer, if only because it is refreshing to see Homer get a taste of his own medicine. Bart tossing his father aside and caring only for Krusty is a bit of a mixed bag. On the one hand, as others have pointed out, Bart not caring about his severely injured father and instead going to the side of this rather low life TV clown makes Bart seem like an ungrateful jerk. However, it could be argued that Bart, in his childlike innocence, essentially worships Krusty and absolutely adores him (despite the fact that Krusty seems to feel nothing for the kid and treats him with impassiveness or even downright hostility at times.) Either way, I found myself expecting him to tend to Krusty over his father, and the manner in which he tries to help Krusty was actually kinda sweet IMO, from Bart helping Krusty walk to being at his court appearance for attempted murder. Strangely, Homer was largely absent during that scene, and I also found myself wondering whether or not Bart actually ran away from home during the time he was at the circus with Krusty - it isn't really explained, just glossed over with a song during which Bart joins the circus. Lastly, as I said, Krusty has oftentimes been hostile and cruel to Bart in previous episodes, and this one is no exception, at least initially. I get Krusty was nervous before his performance, but him snapping at Bart and yelling at him obviously scared and upset Bart, which is a hell of a way to repay the boy who was solely responsible for Krusty's freedom in the first place. That scene just reminded me how little Krusty cares about Bart despite the latter's love for him - thoughts of the the scene in "Bart The Fink," where Bart unintentionally got Krusty arrested for tax fraud and was extremely apologetic for it, came to my mind. Bart, feeling terrible for something he did that really was the right thing to do in the first place, gives Krusty permission to punch him in the face. Krusty, enraged and perhaps not realizing Bart worships him, actually raises his fist to punch the ten-year-old in the face. Luckily, at least some ounce of compassion is present in Krusty as he can not bring himself to go through with such a horrible act, and likewise in this episode the hostility is resolved when Bart and Krusty embrace after the latter is found not guilty. I guess the point of this rant is that Krusty isn't really the nicest guy out there, but at the same time he isn't a complete jerk.

Back to the episode - I felt that the song in this episode fit with the plot, and the pacing was overall pretty good. The ending with the clowns still rejecting Krusty even after he saved the circus amused me for some reason, likely due to the ridiculousness of the feud between different types of clowns. The inconsistencies in this episode prevent it from getting a 4 IMO but the humor prevented it from getting anything lower then a 3. I apologize for the rant of how Krusty views/treats Bart. The interactions between the two were interesting enough for me to comment on them, but then I just went into full on rant mode.

I must admit that I feel a little silly doing a review of an episode that makes fun of people who review television shows. But I will not lose my streak. The one who has lost his streak was Ryan Koh, who has finally shown something of what he is capable of. Thanks to Selman's help, of course.

This was a mixed episode, because at times it works very well, and for others it leaves a little to be desired. The story of Bart and Krusty is where I see this feature the most. There is a good content to see from Krusty at the Circus. His eccentric companions, his romance with the bearded woman, the contrast he feels with him from television. Definitely several elements that make a story based on a character not so great to be a protagonist. I liked seeing the relationship between Bart and Krusty again. I was surprised to see the Clown with a human side ppr for the first time in a long time, and it is that apparently for the first time he was happy. When, under the pseudonym of Wet, he says that, in his way, he also hates Krusty, it's a deep line. But not everything could be good. They had to include another long musical moment in a season that was riddled with them. I do not like it when they are sporadic. So imagine having one per week.

Homer's subplot writing reviews of different television shows is very good, in my opinion. But it has a fallen end. It is one of those cases where an absurd conflict is added to fill time. I mean, that Homer finds out about the perverse (and hard to believe) plan of Google-Disney is a weak conflict that does not even have a real outcome. And getting there after a damned marriage problem makes it more irritating. However, I like everything before these problems with the subframe. I like that the mentions to several popular shows make sense, and that they are not just to see if someone talks about this show. My favorite joke of the episode is that Homer from an A+ to an episode of Games of Thrones without even knowing who the characters are. It's something that reminds me of many real life critics.

The connection between the two frames exists and is good at the beginning. But Krusty trying to kill Homer seems to me to be very exaggerated. And the judgment to Krusty on the end seems to me very hurried, although I did not want to have seen more of it either. It seems to me that this assassination attempt is over here. I only see one utility for Krusty to save the circus with the $ 50,000, but this could have been represented differently. As for the C-plot, if you can call it that, it's not the big deal either. The character of Barry is annoying and irritating. And the resource of the school newspaper was used very recently to be brought back again.

A very good effort for the parameters of Koh but another low offer from Selman, who is having a mediocre performance this season and who has in sight another episode of Krusty, this time written by himself. As for the episode with the most lazy title in history, I give it a 3/5. Again.

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

I think this was an okay episode with a simple but well told main plot and a good subplot. The story of Krusty attempting to kill Homer because of the latter giving his show middling reviews and hiding at a circus in the guise of a circus clown with a different name, which is Soggy the Clown (to escape the law and ending up loving it but having to keep his true identity away from the circus folks) was a good one and I liked how it played out (for the most part) and the subplot of Lisa being replaced as leader of the school newsgroup and replaced by this aggressive Billy kid who makes them go online only (so that Skinner can cut school costs) and having to do TV recaps, which Homer ends up doing since he's great at it (however the Lisa-Billy conflict didn't really go anywhere). It wasn't great but nice enough.

Something that came to be pretty apparent to me as the episode really kicked into high year with Krusty following and attacking Homer at night while they are both driving which turns into a car chase and ends up in an car accident which they both survive is that it's a quite dark, downbeat also partially kinda mean-spirited story, containing both the abeformentioned attack from Krusty and running away from the law and finding a job as a different clown with some help from Bart. I think they went a bit too far with portraying Krusty as a psychotic madman who'd kill someone over reviews so the car chase left me and the continuing pummeling of Homer left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth, but it got better once Krusty joined the circus (though it as initially a bit hard to root for him due to him being the would-be murderer but they pulled it off well and he became more sympathethic as it progressed which was important since otherwise I would have had a harder time getting into the story).

There was still this somber, downbeat air to the whole thing and while I really liked how Krusty, once he finds out the circus is going out of business, makes the ultimate sacrifice by revealing to the circus gang that he's not Soggy but Krusty and lets them collect the reward by handing him over to the police (which saves the circus, though Krusty doesn't let himself get locked up with a bit of smile even though he loved the circus and was ready to do good), I think that once he was cleared of all charges (in an courtroom sequnce with amusingly satirized how seriously people take less than stellar reviews with the jury deemed that the attempt on Homer's life was justified since he gave middling reviews) and wanted to rejoin the circus it would have ended with something less spiteful than the circus crew being super ungrateful jerks by shunning Krusty, punching him and call him a traitor; he was really selfless and they spit in his face despite him saving their hides, but at least it ended better well his spirit going up after getting a good review (by Ralph of all people). Also, the song number was pretty good.

The subplot with Homer as the TV recapper was obviously less substantial but I think that a good job was done with it as well (and it made the episode more lively and fun as opposed to the more downer main story). Him becoming a popular recapper but quits due to not being able to stop the recapping and grading even in his relationship with Marge was a good story and the big network corporation trying to enlist him in their plan to sell TV subscriptions with fake shows to people who doesn't watch them when they are given weak reviews which worked with the USA Network, him secretly recording their dialogue as a recap message and revealing it via Lisa's news was nice. I didn't like the bit of forced marriage crisis with Marge getting angry when he bringsthe grading into their love life (thankful that it was minor) and Lisa's part was so small and her getting replaced by Billy (who was obnoxious with that snarky, whiny voice and toxic behavior) never getting resolved but other than that I did like it (also, why can't they actually cast someone who can sound like a kid?).

The episode was well directed and also pretty well paced, taking it's time and nicely swapping between the plots (skipping the intro from the logo to the beginning helped). The animation was neat overall and I noticed quite a bit of fluid moments, good lighting and the like, some good humor here and there and the characters were portrayed well, at least for the most part; as said I think they went too far with having Krusty assault Homer to kill him didn't exactly make Krusty too sympathethic but they mended that with his gradual portrayal and sacrifice. Bart helping Krusty escape and hide even after Krusty tried to kill Homer made me feel iffy; I know Bart doesn't like Homer too much but I really don't think he's that of a bad kid to defend his idol when said idol had attempted to murder his father. That is where he kinda should have drawn a line but here he didn't care (also, Krusty was a bit of a jerk towards Bart despite the latter helping him but that felt in character). The others were fine (though some exaggerations in the courtroom scene for satirical reasons).

So bottom line, it's a decent one with two fairly good plotlines, some good jokes & nice satire on people's overreliance on TV reviews and how seriously they are taken as absolutes, not to mention the network company and their evil scheme (which makes sense in a satirical context). It did have issues like Krusty as a would-be murderer, Bart helping him even though he tried to kill Homer, Lisa's part coming off as minimal and without a real conclusion, the guest star being pointless (not to mention being annoying and grating) & Krusty's plot being kinda mean and gloomy but it wasn't so bad (and better than the similar 'Fears Of A Clown'). An alright episode but not much more than that.

3/5
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 11-28-2018 at 12:44 AM.

Deep Frier of Shirts BlueRibbonCommittee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hearing the name "Soggy the Clown" makes me think of Yu-Gi-Oh!, even if it's spelled differently.

One thing I liked about the bearded woman is that they didn't really draw attention to the fact that she was bearded. There's been a lot of moments this season that are like that.

Phil Payton gave it an A-. He enjoyed a lot of the las two episodes.

Industry Reviews.
    - The A.V. Club - Dennis Perkins - B-
    - Phil Payton (youtube) - A-
    - Den of Geek - Tony Sokol - 4.5/5
    - Bubble Blabber - Jesse Bereta - 7/10
    Last edited by Szyslak100; 11-27-2018 at 06:31 PM.

This was pretty underwhelming for a Selman episode, although it's not his first subpar offering of the season. The first act was solid with some nice jokes and cool visuals (although the fake-out joke with Bart "running to Homer" was extremely predictable). After that, it feels like the writers just didn't know what to do with the conflicts. Homer's story just sort of peters out with a random marriage crisis, and while the idea of fake TV shows being invented is decent and interesting, it led to nothing here and should've been saved for its own episode. Krusty's story was charming at times, but the stakes felt pretty low, and him turning miserable again because of the circus performers becoming over-the-top jerks didn't really ring true. Also, Billy Eichner's character added so little to the episode, I'm surprised they bothered promoting him.

3/5

34. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Szyslak100 View Post
    Phil Payton gave it an A-. He enjoyed a lot of the las two episodes.
    It's always interesting when his opinions on an episode is quite different from the general one here (and this time other review outlets are on the same page as him).

(And I just realized I forgot to mention the song in my review, which I even had to condense a bit before posting it; added now).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 11-28-2018 at 08:48 AM.

36. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

The conflict of the main plot - once it gets into gear - hinges on a premise that I've never been a huge fan of: Krusty being portrayed as an untalented hack. That's come to be his defining characteristic, which is a shame because I preferred his earlier portrayal as someone who was unhappy and troubled in their personal life, yes, but also a talented performer who had a passion for entertaining (no doubt in part because it was a distraction from his misery). Krusty being competent but sleazy has always been the more interesting take on the character, in my opinion.

With that being said, it did set up a good story here with Krusty actually having to deliver a better performance than is demanded of him on his afternoon TV show. I think it could've worked just as well or better if Krusty was actually a competent performer but a little rusty due to having a more reserved act on his show, while retaining the need to hide is identity not only due to being wanted but also because the circus clowns held a disdain for TV clowns (regardless of their skill as performers). The story we got still worked for me though, and as far as portraying Krusty as being a lacklustre performer, it may be the best use of that characterisation as he actually had to confront his shortcomings to fit in and save his skin. It was nice to see him come to appreciate the art of circus clowning and find happiness, not to mention the selflessness of his sacrifice. I felt a bit sorry for him at the end, though the circus performers alternating between thanking him and hitting him in the gut was funny. The reason for the case being dismissed was an apt dig at how seriously people take online reviews, too.

As for how the whole situation came about, I thought it was fine. Indeed, the two plots were woven together quite well in that regard. Krusty going to those lengths is somewhat extreme, but it also suggested that he does (on some level) care about performance, which is a callback to his classic characterisation. Speaking of callbacks, I liked Homer's quip about the fourth season (applicable to The Simpsons and quite a few shows, as others have noted), as well as Bart's admiration for Krusty and concern for him before his own father. It was a more mean-spirited take on that trait, but the underlying sentiment of Bart having more regard for Krusty than Homer wouldn't be out of place in the classic era. I appreciated his resourcefulness and willingness to help Krusty out, too.

I liked the subplot overall. It's not necessarily original commentary on clickbait and journalism, but it remains relevant and accurate. The fifth grade kid was definitely the weakest part of the plot, and the episode as a whole. I'll echo what others have said and note that it really stands out when the guest star can't pass as a realistic kid's voice, and makes their appearance seem all the more gratuitous. The character served its purpose as far as setting everything in motion, but that's the best I can say about them. I did enjoy Lisa's summary of online reviews as recaps with snarky commentary and a letter grade; shades of "The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show", there. Her passing the buck to Homer felt quite natural, and the ridiculousness of his arbitrary reviews ("Game of Thrones: who are they all? A-minus!") made for some good jokes. The same goes for his live-Tweeting of Krusty trying to run him off the road. Homer had some respectable zingers in this one.

The subplot did come off the rails a bit when it brought in the aforementioned unnecessary mini-marriage crisis. It's a shame because the scene leading up to that was funny with Homer live-recapping and rating the snuggling, and if it had just ended on the punchline of Marge being annoyed and maybe leaving in a huff, it would've been fine. It might've also worked better if it was one thing in a line of incidents that made Homer realise that he couldn't break the habit of reviewing everything and he was getting sick of it, but instead it became another rift between him and Marge. I didn't completely dislike the scene where Homer learns about the conspiracy as it's decent commentary on an over-saturation of content, but it didn't really go anywhere. I suppose it did set up one final joke about an interesting story being pushed aside for more clickbait, but it did feel like it was trying to cram too much into the episode. Having Ralph as the new reviewer/recapper was also a good joke to end on.

All in all, I thought it was quite enjoyable, if not technically brilliant. I'll give it 4/5; it did have its problems, but it worked for me despite those flaws and missed opportunities.
    A little less Generic than before.

Matt Selman Tweeted out the animatic for a deleted scene: https://twitter.com/mattselman/statu...31592475598849

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

So when I saw this episode the first time, I was so perplexed that I wanted to see it another time later to review it. But then I was really busy this week, so I rewatched it just today. And to be honest, I'm still a little perplexed, even if I'm agree it was surprisingly decent, like Werking Mom.

However I'm not convinced by the beginning, who shows us another bland kid with a guest voice who sounds like anything but a kid and unfunny jokes. Then Homer becomes a TV recapper, but apparently only for the Krusty Show, and annoys the clown with his reviews at the point he tries to kill him (pretty unsubtle satirical joke with "thin-skinned Hollywood narcissist"). Though the car chase is beautifully animated (Faughnan's work is really good throughout this episode) and Homer recaping that chase made me chuckle (classic Homer), it's still too exaggerated to me. It's not like Homer made bad, or in this case "mixed" reviews on purpose like in Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner?. And you guys already said it but Bart helping Krusty and worrying about him during the trial despite he know he tried to murder his father on purpose bugged me.

That being said, I like both plot ideas with Krusty becoming a circus clown and Homer doing a TV recapper job. But Krusty's plot is the one I enjoyed the most. There's a zany ambience that fits well since it's a circus story. It's a little predictable with Krusty screwing up at first but then becoming a circus star and loved by his clown pals, even if they tried to lampshade it with "If you're alive, you're still fired", but no big deal. Of course there's another song, but pretty funny as well (on visual, lyrical and musical aspects), especially with the three animals actually singing. The ending however felt a little flat in my opinion. I really liked the fact Krusty gives himself to the cops in order to save the circus with the reward, but then the circus performers become ungrateful bastards towards him. I don't mind a mean-spirited ending, but still, it's lazy to solve the story. Also, during Krusty's daredevil performance, I noticed the presence of Milo and his girlfriend from Husband and Knives in the audience, and they apparently have a baby, nice cameo.

Homer's subplot worked as a rather short story in addition to the main plot. His absurd reviews deliver some good jokes (the joke on Stranger Things is so true), and despite the umpteenth marriage crisis, I don't really mind it since it comes from a funny idea with Homer recapping the snuggling (and rating Marge in passing). The idea of fake TV shows at the end is both silly and interesting, but unfortunately goes nowhere. Homer records the plan with his phone and the Google-Disney CEO just lets him go for some reason. They should've avoid the marriage crisis and better develop that.

Basically this episode has some good ideas and some missed opportunities, a number of funny jokes and a bit of disappointing stuff here and there. It's probably the best Ryan Koh's episode so far (though I'm far from hating Singin' in the Lane, which is just an average episode to me), but I can't help but think it's simply alright, no less, no more. Although, except the Treehouse of Horror and maybe Heartbreak Hotel, this season seems to only have at least decent episodes so far.

3/5
    Last edited by Wile E. the Brain; 12-01-2018 at 10:04 AM.

Thread Information