• 5/5 Gold Medalist

1 10.00%
  • 4/5 Silver Medalist

2 20.00%
  • 3/5 eh it was ok

3 30.00%
  • 2/5 Shit Medalist

2 20.00%
  • 1/5 Wait, why is this episode not airing anywhere close to the Olympics?

2 20.00%

Thread: Family Guy Talkback: "GRIFFIN WINTER GAMES"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Family Guy Talkback: "GRIFFIN WINTER GAMES"

To the surprise of all the Griffins, Meg makes the U.S. Olympic team as a biathlete and competes in the Winter Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

Blog Entries

Plot was nonsense, seriously got whiplash from how randomly scenes were thrown together. What was even the point of that Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski stuff? A good chunk of funny jokes, despite some pretty gross ones like Peter shooting himself and Stewie biting/swallowing his tongue. GoldenEye scene would've been neat if Peter didn't comment every second (that reminded me of modern Simpsons ADR). 2.5/5

Blog Entries

yeah this could be one of the wonkiest episodes theyve ever done narratively. just a constant stream of jokes and vignettes with almost no attention paid to the paper thin logline (which becomes very apparent when the main conflict is some peter thing that comes out of nowhere). luckily there's a smattering of decent laughs here so it's not a complete waste - johnny weir telling stewie he knows what a football is actually made me crack up - but man as this show marches on towards its 20th anniversary it feels sloppier than ever. 2.5/5

also lol at that insanely awkward mayor west scene. damn you fg for reminding me he'll never speak again!

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

That wasn't Lacey Chabert in the episode was it?

Blog Entries

nah i don't think she was credited which is odd because they've gotten her back for cameo stuff like that in the past. in fact now that i think about it there were a handful of guest voices they've had in previous eps that were impersonated this time (kristen bell/bob costas). guess they blew their budget on that goldeneye scene!

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: John95, Sam

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by The Goode Family View Post
    nah i don't think she was credited which is odd because they've gotten her back for cameo stuff like that in the past. in fact now that i think about it there were a handful of guest voices they've had in previous eps that were impersonated this time (kristen bell/bob costas). guess they blew their budget on that goldeneye scene!
    Her previous cameos were one-liners (in "Back to the Pilot" - in fact, that was probably just taken from the original episode - and "Yug Ymilaf", IIRC). It's possible that they deliberately left her out of the credits this time as a "reference" to her original, uncredited voicings. Speaking of which, was it ever said why she wasn't credited originally?

It's not as if Chabert is "retired" from voiceover work; she's the voice of Zatanna in Justice League Action ("Family Guy edosipe eht em wohs").

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Worst Season 17 episode ever and that's coming from a big defender of the new episodes. I may do a lengthy review later this why I hated it, but it has nothing to do with the plot itself. It's more like a complaint at certain jokes.

I find it sad I'm laughing more at overly long gags (yes really. at least they don't last 2-3 minutes), unnecessary gore, offensive jokes (I'm really that sadist) than these annoying self aware moments (We get it writers! Meg had an original but miscasted voice. Stop reminding me when the show had shitty voice acting. Also can they stop with those voiceover ending? It's like a cliched at this point). Because of how disappointing it was in the end, it was a huge letdown...especially for Artie Johann who made me laugh with Taylor Swift jabs and Brian ranting at the citizen of Quahog to stop harassing him over a tweet. (Yes I know people hate Peanut Butter Kid, but this is his worst solo effort yet. At least I'd rather this one again than Turban Cowboy)
    Simpsons: 4 > 6 = 7 > 5 > 3 > 8 > 2 > 14 > 15 > 13 = 10 > 9 > 16 > 20 > 1 > 24 = 21 > 26 > 22 = 25 > 23 > 19 = 27 > 18 = 28 > 12 > 11 > 17 = 29

Family Guy: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 5 = 6 > 15 > 16 > 10 > 14 > > 7 = 11 = 9 > 8 > 12 = 13

American Dad: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 6 > 5 > 8 > 9 > 7 = 11 > 10 > 13 (so far) > 12

The Cleveland Show: 2 > 1 > 4 > 3

Futurama: 5 > 4 = 1 > 2 = 3 > 7 > 6

Rick and Morty: 2 > 1 > 3

I didn't think this one was that bad, but it struggled big time in the story department. The opening segment was cute with the meta throwbacks to "iconic" scenes, although making Lacey Chabert a character and mentioning the narrator's voices was a bit of an overkill of fourth wall breaking. The plot basically stopped when the Griffins got to Korea, with almost nothing happening but jokes. A handful of them were funny, but it was weird watching an episode be that aimless. It was a bit unsatisfying that there was little payoff related to the Olympics, and it was basically waved away in favor of the Peter stuff, but this season already has a history of discarding Meg-related plots, so I can't be that surprised.

2.5/5

@Captain_Smiley, @The Goode Family and @That Don Guy, That was actually Mae Whitman (Anna Lee, Julie, Kimi and Girly Frendson ) as Meg during the last flashback and as Lacey Chabert. I guess they couldn't afford to get the latter this time, but Whitman proved to be a good soundalike as I too thought it was Chabert until looking at the credits.

Stuff I liked
    Everything having to do with Lacey Chabert (even if it actually wasn't her). From her being the original Meg being acknowledged, to the unexpected Brick Joke of her being at the Olympics!
    Family riding the jeep.
    Stewie faceplanting on the ice.
    Peter getting kicked in the nuts by a bird.
    La La Land cutaway.
    Chris getting the shit beaten out of him.
    Video game escape

Stuff I didn't like
    Overly Long Gag of the Week: Peter going through his coat pockets (though at least they had the balls to have Stewie acknowledge how pointlessly long it was).
    Peter skiing and accidently shooting his head (though to be fair, it was 95% less horrifying than the similar head blown off gags from Livin' on a Prayer and Brian's a Bad Father)
    Subtitles gag
    Everything else about the scene with Stewie after he faceplanted.

Misc.
    Weird how this isn't a Christmas episode yet the very first exterior scene has the Griffin household covered in decorations.
    Mixed feelings about the flashback
    So I'm assuming this will probably be the last time we see Mayor West before he's written off later this season?
    Didn't care for Bob Costas' pinkeye, but it was noticeably less cringy to look at than Hayley's in Kloger. It's also funny how they couldn't get him this time when they've had him appear as himself before. But much like Chabert, I guess they couldn't afford him this time either.

Yeah... There's not really much more I can say that hasn't been said already (the joys of being forced to watch this episode a day late due to the normal places you go to see the episodes failing to upload it after it airs like they usually do) in terms of the plot being all over the place since it's completely non-existent during the second act and the episode being barely held together by more noteworthy jokes than in the last two episodes combined. Much like last week, the synopsis pretty much lies about how important of a role Meg plays in her own episode considering that she disappears for most of the second act, but at least more of an effort is put into not making her feel like a supporting character in her own story by way of her rescuing Peter at the end.

Eh... 2.5/5 generously rounded up to a 3 if only for the fact that like I said there were more good jokes in this episode than the previous two episodes combined, as well as also being less boring than them too.
    Family Guy Season 17 Ratings - Married... with Cancer: .5/5 Dead Dog Walking: .5/5 Pal Stewie: 3/5 Big Trouble in Little Quahog: 3.5/5 Regarding Carter: 1.5/5 Stand by Meg: 2/5 Griffin Winter Games: 2.5/5 Con Heiress: 0/5 Pawtucket Pete: 2.5/5 Hefty Shades of Gray: .5/5 Trump Guy: .5/5 Bri, Robot: .5/5 Trans-Fat: 2/5 Family Guy Lite: 1.5/5 No Giggity, No Doubt: 1.5/5 You Can't Handle the Booth: 1/5 Island Adventure: 4/5 Throw It Away: 2/5 Girl, Internetted: 1.5/5 Adam West High: 1.5/5
    American Dad! Season 15 Ratings - Fantasy Baseball: 1.5/5 I Am the Jeans: The Gina Lavetti Story: 0/5 Stan & Francine & Connie & Ted: 0/5 Rabbit Ears: 1.5/5 Jeff and the Dank Ass Weed Factory: 1/5 Lost Boys: TBD Shark?!: TBD The Long March: TBD

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

Mae Whitman? Her?

@Captain_Smiley, Yep, her. She's actually been on the show since Season 7 and is now probably the second most prominent supporting female voice after Rachael.

A bit uninspired and Stewie's subplot went absolutely nowhere, but there were some good jokes. My favourite bits would have to be the references to Lacey Chabert, some of the voiceover jokes (they milked it a bit too much, but I liked them ending on the Dennis Rodman reference), the New York Knicks cutaway, the Goldeneye sequence, and the "but that's not what really happened" scenes. It was also a nice change of pace that they were actually fairly nice to Meg and being somewhat sincere about it.

Nothing special, but I liked it well enough. 3/5
    A little less Generic than before.

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: John95

I'm giving this one a 4 because I loved how great Meg was at doing something she loves. Also, everybody was supportive. Even though she saved Peter( once again his own stupidity pisses me off) , she still loves her family. I liked Stewies' subplot and laughed when Wes was a fake and Chris fought him but got his ass kicked. The "but that wasn't really what happen " bits were funny. The Goldeneye bit would have been better if Peter didn't commentate it and Peter taking so much crap out of his pockets for 1 whole minute was pointless. Also, Peter accidently shooting himself in the head wasn't as gory but compare that to Quagmire shooting him ( Peter did deserve that). Overall, an improvement from last week. I'm glad there Meg wasn't a supporting player in this one.

Thread Information