How do you think Fox's newly ordered animated comedies will affect the renewal of "The Simpsons"?

Fox has ordered three new adult animated comedies Bless the Harts, Duncanville and The Great North for 2019. Going by their Sunday lineup's history, there is absolutely one more slot for an animated show. However, the way it's set up, they have to let go of at least two shows, and something tells me it could be Family Guy and The Simpsons, unless these three shows end up being mid-season replacements or scheduled on a different day. I don't feel good about this at all. Bob's Burgers is getting them acclaim on a regular basis, so I don't think it's something they want to let go of. It's also cheaper to produce per episode compared to their two flagship cartoons.

The Simpsons usually gets renewal announcements in November, while Family Guy always gets last minute renewals in May because of the amount of holdover episodes they have.

Blog Entries

i really doubt they dump FG or simpsons for 3 new untested shows, a new block running from 7:30 to 10:00 sounds more plausible. bob's does way worse in the ratings but i'm guessing it's grandfathered in because of the movie in 2020

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

Uh, Hugh Jass? Welcome to Moe's's Avatar

Well I'm not sure if it plays a part but there's the whole Disney deal that's kicking in which is taking over The Simpsons, I know that even under the Disney wing it's still going to be shown on Fox but when it comes to seasonal renewals it may be Disney who will finance this now as opposed to Fox, I'm not fully sure but it is something that may play a part in regards to why we haven't heard anything.

The way I see it, The Simpsons have always been asked by Fox to renew, simply because the show was guaranteed to bring in viewers (regardless of what people say about the show, it's still doing very well), the show has constantly been on prime time TV viewing too which is the hardest spot to keep so I don't think these shows affect The Simpsons and their renewal but maybe other aspects, such as the Disney deal maybe, are what could be something to consider?

Again, I don't know, it's just what come to mind for me and I think Family Guy are a part of this too so will have to see, either way I doubt they'd take 3 untested shows and throw away their guaranteed shows over this though will just have to see

'"Uh, Hugh Jass! D'oh, somebody check the men's room for a Hugh Jass"

Quote Originally Posted by The Goode Family View Post
    i really doubt they dump FG or simpsons for 3 new untested shows, a new block running from 7:30 to 10:00 sounds more plausible. bob's does way worse in the ratings but i'm guessing it's grandfathered in because of the movie in 2020
    There's a precedent for this happening. They canceled King of the Hill for The Cleveland Show and dumped American Dad! to make way for Bordertown. I bet if Bob's Burgers didn't bring them home an Emmy, it would've been let go too, considering how badly received the first season was.

Quote Originally Posted by Welcome to Moe's View Post
    Well I'm not sure if it plays a part but there's the whole Disney deal that's kicking in which is taking over The Simpsons, I know that even under the Disney wing it's still going to be shown on Fox but when it comes to seasonal renewals it may be Disney who will finance this now as opposed to Fox, I'm not fully sure but it is something that may play a part in regards to why we haven't heard anything.

The way I see it, The Simpsons have always been asked by Fox to renew, simply because the show was guaranteed to bring in viewers (regardless of what people say about the show, it's still doing very well), the show has constantly been on prime time TV viewing too which is the hardest spot to keep so I don't think these shows affect The Simpsons and their renewal but maybe other aspects, such as the Disney deal maybe, are what could be something to consider?

Again, I don't know, it's just what come to mind for me and I think Family Guy are a part of this too so will have to see, either way I doubt they'd take 3 untested shows and throw away their guaranteed shows over this though will just have to see
    These shows will remain on Fox post-merger, but will become Disney properties. In short, Disney allows the use of these characters and assists in the creative side of things while Fox handles all production costs and gets to decide whether to renew or cancel.

I see, yeah I know Disney are letting Fox still use the show and obviously this will be of some benefit for them, they just basically have the likeness of the character and show so are able to manufacture anything they like with the characters on and profit, the show itself won't be touched as it's still the same team producing the show (writers etc..) so we won't really notice any difference other than seeing Disney logo's around and possibly a load of new merchandise which can only be a good thing (specially if they get on to those much needed DVD's much better than Fox do).

But yeah, it's like anything ain't it, Fox will put a bid in or pay what they're asked for to get the show on their channel, it's like sports channels when they're bidding for certain exclusive leagues etc... for each one (in the UK BT Sports and Sky Sports are usually in the bidding war) though I do know Fox have always nagged The Simpsons to renew for a reason so I doubt that's gonna be pushed to the side over some new shows, The Simpsons is pretty solid and guaranteed for them (hence continuously having the show throughout and not dropping it from it's prime time slot).

Same in the UK too, Sky One still always play loads of Simpsons and have the exclusives where as other channel such as Channel 4 play the older episodes all the time, it's just still hugely popular despite the misconception of it's popularity (TV in general isn't watched as much as it used to be anyway due to so many catch up services and online streaming).

I'd be surprised if they ended up dumping The Simpsons or Family Guy. The situation with King of the Hill and The Cleveland Show is a noteworthy precedent, but I think the difference there is that King of the Hill was intending to wrap up before then, but new episodes were subsequently ordered. Its run had therefore already gone into overtime, so to speak. The Cleveland Show was also a Seth MacFarlane production, and Fox were going all in on Seth at the time. With Family Guy and American Dad well-established at that point, and The Cleveland Show being a spinoff of the former, they clearly had faith in it (and him).

Even if The Cleveland Show hadn't been in the pipeline or Fox was prepared to add it to the lineup rather than replace anything. King of the Hill likely would've wrapped up as it had intended to do earlier. While I never cared for The Cleveland Show, I've always felt it got a bad rap for supposedly killing off King of the Hill, when the latter was most likely coming to an end anyway.
    A little less Generic than before.

I could see "The Simpsons" not being renewed, given how lousy the ratings are and they bring in very little money (as the franchise only rakes in a lot of money through merchandise and the FXX reruns nowadays.) Or maybe they renew it for two more seasons and wrap things up with Season 32. As for "Family Guy," I can see that going on until Season 20 before they pull the plug, given that their ratings have been sucking for quite some time now as well and they aren't as popular anymore either.

Quote Originally Posted by Beggs View Post
    I'd be surprised if they ended up dumping The Simpsons or Family Guy. The situation with King of the Hill and The Cleveland Show is a noteworthy precedent, but I think the difference there is that King of the Hill was intending to wrap up before then, but new episodes were subsequently ordered. Its run had therefore already gone into overtime, so to speak. The Cleveland Show was also a Seth MacFarlane production, and Fox were going all in on Seth at the time. With Family Guy and American Dad well-established at that point, and The Cleveland Show being a spinoff of the former, they clearly had faith in it (and him).

Even if The Cleveland Show hadn't been in the pipeline or Fox was prepared to add it to the lineup rather than replace anything. King of the Hill likely would've wrapped up as it had intended to do earlier. While I never cared for The Cleveland Show, I've always felt it got a bad rap for supposedly killing off King of the Hill, when the latter was most likely coming to an end anyway.
    Yeah, King of the Hill was going for a long time, a lot of people don't realise the show was around for around 13 years or something (I think) but it did have a long run, I'm not sure how it was in the US but for us in the UK King of the Hill was always on late at night on the lesser popular channels (I think initially Channel 4) but I think what you said is pretty much spot on there

Quote Originally Posted by wiley207 View Post
    I could see "The Simpsons" not being renewed, given how lousy the ratings are and they bring in very little money (as the franchise only rakes in a lot of money through merchandise and the FXX reruns nowadays.) Or maybe they renew it for two more seasons and wrap things up with Season 32. As for "Family Guy," I can see that going on until Season 20 before they pull the plug, given that their ratings have been sucking for quite some time now as well and they aren't as popular anymore either.
    Honestly, ratings are so overvalued now as they don't mean as much as they used to when it comes to TV shows etc... simply because so many people not only watch things on catch up there's also the whole streaming services and things too which watching TV in general, as it's aired, isn't as popular as it used to be (hence why it's silly when people compare ratings of shows from earlier seasons to current seasons, not just with The Simpsons, this can go for any show really that's had a long run).

The Simpsons are still bringing in the better side of ratings which is also why Fox have always wanted them to renew, have always wanted the show in their prime time slot when they do otherwise they would have replaced it a long time ago, it's business after all so they're not going to care if ratings drop, they'll just replace it with another show people are wanting to watch more.

That said, Al Jean has tweeted these a few times in regards to ratings, the recent (5th November) tweet with the article "TV Ratings: 'Simpsons' and 'Sunday Night Football' Hit Season Highs"

The Simpsons will always get knocked for their ratings now regardless as people feel the show has been going on too long so they're going to knock it regardless, this no doubt happens with any show that's been going 30 years or so, you're gonna get people saying it should have ended, is past it's sell by date etc.. etc.. Family Guy no doubt has the same situation too.

I reckon you might be right about the seasons though, season 32 seems like a good time to end it if they do as they've pretty much achieved everything and broke every record they can so I'd be content if they did, although as I say, if the writers still feel they have a lot to bring then it should continue until they feel they've had enough really I think

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by Rutherford View Post
    Fox has ordered three new adult animated comedies Bless the Harts, Duncanville and The Great North for 2019. Going by their Sunday lineup's history, there is absolutely one more slot for an animated show. However, the way it's set up, they have to let go of at least two shows, and something tells me it could be Family Guy and The Simpsons, unless these three shows end up being mid-season replacements or scheduled on a different day. I don't feel good about this at all. Bob's Burgers is getting them acclaim on a regular basis, so I don't think it's something they want to let go of. It's also cheaper to produce per episode compared to their two flagship cartoons.
    No need to get rid of any shows, even if they do pick up The Great North as well as the other two.

Fall Schedule:
    8 - The Simpsons
    8:30 - Bob's Burgers
    9 - Family Guy
    9:30 - Bless the Harts

Spring Schedule:
    7:30 - The Great North
    8 - The Simpsons
    8:30 - Bob's Burgers
    9 - Family Guy
    9:30 - Duncanville

Blog Entries

I was hoping Season 30 would be the end. It would end the show on a nice round number. And it beat Gunsmoke, so it doesn't really have anything left to prove.
    You're a dolt with the IQ of a peabrain that probably loves lowbrow sitcoms like The Big Bang Theory, Frasier and Seinfeld to not grasp the biting satire and wit of the classic 65 (Rugrats).

I've been trying to think a while what it is but there is one thing The Simpsons were close to I remember reading about in regards to one last record to beat or something, it's been bugging me for a while now what they said that milestone was when I read it but apparently there is something they're really close to so I don't see why they shouldn't break that if they're coming close to it.

Trying to remember for the life of me what the accolade was though, if it comes to me I'll post back

Blog Entries

Hope Jean is determined to beat Sazae-san.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

Quote Originally Posted by Rutherford View Post
    There's a precedent for this happening. They canceled King of the Hill for The Cleveland Show and dumped American Dad! to make way for Bordertown. I bet if Bob's Burgers didn't bring them home an Emmy, it would've been let go too, considering how badly received the first season was.
    tell me about it, back when the Simpsonschannel site was still a thing the person that ran it called Bob's Burgers "Soon to be cancelled"
    Simpsons Comics 1993-2018

Your Neighborhood Average Joe Purpleberries's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    Hope Jean is determined to beat Sazae-san.
    I did some calculating and found out that it would take at least 300 22-episode seasons for The Simpsons to even reach Sazae-san's current episode number.
    Simpsons Season 30 Ratings: Bart's Not Dead: 3/5(B-) Heartbreak Hotel: N/A My Way or the Highway to Heaven: 3.5/5(B) THOH XXIX: 2.5/5(C+) Baby You Can't Drive My Car: 3.25/5(B/B-) From Russia with Love: 4/5(B+)

That could be anyone's ass. SchemingMinor's Avatar
    In a black van across from your house. The one that says Flowers By Irene.

Considering that Disney now has latched onto the Simpsons license I doubt that we will see a drop in the show anytime soon because of how iconic and long running of a property it has been for our culture and how much they can bank alone off of the property. Considering Disney's penchant of squeezing blood out of a turnip that still has a pulse, I expect that the show won't have any renewal interference for the time being. If so, I expect it would be cancelled then immediately replaced with a reboot.

Thread Information